The Droid Fires Shots At Apple

normal_MotorolaDroid-1.jpg

normal_MotorolaDroid-4.jpg

Motorola fell off after the razr tho.

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Quick question..

i have verizon, and if i get an iphone, is it possible for me to jailbreak it and use it with the verizon service?

iPhone=GSM network
Verizon= CDMA network

im not no apple fan boy, ima PC.
but iphone does lack in some things most phones have, but its still a fanfreakintastic phone

I have a g1 and I know nothings #@%%+@+ with the iPhone. some of yall need to stop fronting on the iphone like theres anything even close to it, probably thesame dudes in the music forum saying some outlandish *!*$ like "joe budden>>>>>jay-z"

I've owned an iPhone 3G, Blackberry Bold, and currently own a MyTouch 3G.

So far, iPhone > MyTouch > Bold.

Originally Posted by presequel

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

it is laughable that the apple fan boys in here are defending the iphone left and right, always bringing up the fact that any touchscreen phone designed after the iphone is a knockoff because it builds off what the iphone is.

well didn't the iphone build off of what an original cell phone is? at the end of the day, an iphone is still a cell phone. a nice one, but not the first cell phone. it's an upgraded version of what "old" cell phones were.
the iPhone is the benchmark, all phones are now compared to it for a reason.

and even if a phone has better tech specs than the iphone (many do) doesn't make it a better phone. usability, ease of use, interface, marketplace, and network all play a role in it. Apple has the whole package and does it all very simple, and well.

Most other companies fail at putting a true competitor because one of the above is not on par with the iphone, whether its the interface, the marketplace, or the simplicity of it.

Now i've seen the androids new interface, and its a big improvement. But it still wont dethrone the iphone. Not yet at least.

Pay attention to this man.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Quick question..

i have verizon, and if i get an iphone, is it possible for me to jailbreak it and use it with the verizon service?

iPhone=GSM network
Verizon= CDMA network

i thought if you have a sim card you run on a GSM network?

My storm has a sim card and never really got an answer for this before.

Edit: Also you can unlock phones from Verizon for TMO and ATT but you can't unlock phones from TMO/ATT for VZW?

so is this a verizon exclusive? if so im going with the nokia n900. i think that will be the phone to compete.

Originally Posted by jbeezie

Originally Posted by mynameaintG

people dont care about specs....they care about whats cool.
SHEEP.
cosign.

i was lookin at alot of those stats...sidekick does alot of that stuff that iphones can't do
roll.gif

Originally Posted by philly5fan

still waiting for something even close to an iphone.... iphone has the cell phone game on lock

N900 comin for da iphone's neck

Originally Posted by Man E

1. Iphone
2. Blackberry (Waiting for RIM to introduce something revolutionary, not evolutionary. I hope they can make something that can take the #1 spot)
3. Everything else

It's the truth. When and if there will ever be an iphone "killer", it'll be something big, & this isn't big enough.
that's the way it is

BB is probably the only other phone I'd consider at this point, if I had to get rid of my iphone

I had a G1 as my spare(sold it about a month ago-hardly used it), it definitely is not touching the iphone. I will give it props on the browser though, it isCOMPARABLE to the iphone

hate it or love it, other phones are contenders while the iphone is the reigning champ

a little off topic, but reception/service wise verizon still runs things. Just that their phones are not as sexy as the rest. I was w/verizon foryears btw

edit: that Bb ad is nice though
smokin.gif

The only problems with Nokia is that their phones are so damn expensive. The iPhone 3G sells for $300, the N900 about $720. I think I know which one I, and90% of people looking at phones, would buy.

Originally Posted by 18key

The only problems with Nokia is that their phones are so damn expensive. The iPhone 3G sells for $300, the N900 about $720. I think I know which one I, and 90% of people looking at phones, would buy.

iphones are SUBSIDIZED in price....if AT&T didn't help pay up from for a iphone it would cost more 600+

and whoever thinks ya got it sweet cuz ya got jailbroken iphones...ya days comin to a close real soon..

[h1]Patent Watch: Apple Wants to Lock Down Your iPhone[/h1]

Posted on Monday, Oct 5, 2009 by Jeremy Sikora
42 Comments » File Under:News; Tags: Apple, iPhone, Lock, patent-watch

iphone-lock-227x400.jpg

Apple has applied for a patent for "provisioning" services on a mobile device based on a custom carrier profile:
Carrier provisioning profiles are distributed to computing devices via an activation service during the provisioning process. The carrier provisioning profiles specify access limitations to certain device resources which may otherwise be available to users of the device.

What this all means for the carriers is that Apple could essentially give them control of approved and unapproved features andapplications that come on the iPhone at the point of purchase. So if Verizon (or China) were to carry the iPhone and they see fit to remove Wi-Fi, it can bedone. Or say AT&T wants you to use their AT&T Navigation application and no other GPS applications - that too can be done. For Apple this means theyfree themselves from having to create various versions of firmware for each individual carrier.

Sadly for all of us, this could be a very bad sign of things to come. One of the main reasons we love the iPhone is the fact thatApple does not allow carriers to junk up the device with their own bloatware, common on other devices. Unfortunately that may all be coming to an end.

[Thanks for the tip Jeremiah! Via Arstechnica]

nokia's cost da way they cost because they sell UNBRANDED....free of da limitations set by carriers.

let's put it like this.

say you got 2 toaster ovens...1 of em got no logos on it...da other one got a con edison logo. da con Edison branded toaster is 50 dollars less then daunbranded counterpart.

naturally people would flock to da cheaper one NOT knowing that its "natural" cost is being paid by da service provider up front,

and your payin da rest thru contract obligations and more.

say you like a sort of butter on your bread w/ your breakfast...da con edison toaster oven can potentially BLOCK you from enjoying da food you wanna cook onit, or even worse

they can block you from taking your oven anywhere else to fix it unless you go to their "approved" places that can potential cost 2x as more.

da United states is da country that uses this type of business model da most.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

The only problems with Nokia is that their phones are so damn expensive. The iPhone 3G sells for $300, the N900 about $720. I think I know which one I, and 90% of people looking at phones, would buy.

iphones are SUBSIDIZED in price....if AT&T didn't help pay up from for a iphone it would cost more 600+

and whoever thinks ya got it sweet cuz ya got jailbroken iphones...ya days comin to a close real soon..

Oh trust, I know that. But in selling terms, Apple is still winning. And I'd be lying if I say I'd rather have an iPhone than a damn N900.Nokia's have always been good to me, and I'd LOVE to have one of their super-phones, but for now it's Apple thanks to the $400 price difference.Hell, >$600 difference for me.
And yes, I know that Nokias arent bogged down by 2-year contracts and crap, but honestly I'd rather take a 2 year commitment and get, say, $400 off.Whether or not I'm paying for the full phone price in the contract is not an issue because I, like many others, figure we'd be in that contract anyways(since we need a phone) so we might as well get a phone for cheap
ohwell.gif

As far as the article you posted, I have no idea what that's talking about. I see it as saying Apple is trying to figure out a way that specific servicecarriers can have it so iPhones only use their products? I really need some clarification on that !@@%.

in laments terms.

apple basically is creating a taylormade remote controlled system and is giving it to da carriers (verizon, sprint, etc) to control and cripple w/e itdoesn't want da iphone to do based on its

preferences.

unlocking or jailbreaking da iphone wouldn't matter anymore because as soon as iphone picks up da signal from da carrier, it automatically adjusts based onwhat da carrier allows.

so for example imagine Verizon crippling GPS in da iphone (which is free from da box)...then turning around and try to sell you their proprietary GPS servicefor 10 dollars a month.

happens all da time with blackberries on verizon
laugh.gif

AT&T already tries to cripple tethering and WiFi on da iphone....imagine whats gonna happen now.
laugh.gif

android and Linux is da future.

Ahhh okay, much clearer. Sadly, I could see that happening. Didn't know about ATT stopping people from using Wi-Fi. That's real !$$%%@ up.

Hope android makes Apple readjust their plans and step it up. Competition always benefits the consumer
pimp.gif

Good thing you can jailbreak iPhones, or I'd be pissed I didn't wait an extra 2 months for a new phone.

THAT'S A LIE I GOT 5 FRIENDS W/IPHONE'S & THEY ALL HAVE T-MOBLIE...

still waiting for something even close to an iphone.... iphone has the cell phone game on lock

It will fail worse than Joe Buddens e-relationship.

G1
MyTouch
Storm
Pre

They all "came for da iphone's neck" and iPhone still running the game. Yall need to stop with all that, realtalk
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

It will fail worse than Joe Buddens e-relationship.

G1
MyTouch
Storm
Pre

They all "came for da iphone's neck" and iPhone still running the game. Yall need to stop with all that, realtalk
laugh.gif
iphone can't multitask

this N900 has FULL browser capabilities (firefox browser w/ FULL flash 9.4 support) as well as up to 1GB of applicable memory to run many many many programs/widgets at da same time.

da g1 and mytouch were essentially "sidekick 2.0"

da storm is doo doo.

da pre isn't widely supported.

da N900 is basically a internet tablet with bolt on phone accommdations....its gonna cream da iphone
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom