The Donald Sterling Thread

Good for Silver and the NBA to drop the hammer on Sterling, but I don't think they should force him to sell what's his. Sterling will take this to court and claim how this is unconstitutional.

You're practically stripping away someones property rights just because of his personnel views. We know how ugly and disgusting those views are, but it's unconstitutional to take away something from someone just because of something he said. I'm afraid what this will lead to in the future.

I support the NBA and Silver's decision to ban Sterling, but I don't think they have the legal rights to make him sell.

Last edited:
Good for Silver and the NBA to drop the hammer on Sterling, but I don't think they should force him to sell what's his. Sterling will take this to court and claim how this is unconstitutional.

You're practically stripping away someones property rights just because of his personnel views. We know how ugly and disgusting those views are, but it's unconstitutional to take away something from someone just because of something he said. I'm afraid what this will lead to in the future.

I support the NBA and Silver's decision to ban Sterling, but I don't think they have the legal rights to make him sell.
Yeah the NBA has its own constitution where 3/4 of the owners can vote someone out if they are deemed unfit to own the team. And the NBA is a private corporation, so technically they can do anything they want to someone's franchise unless the powers they do are not listed within their constitution

Or with Magic?
nerd.gif

If they do force the sale of the team, can DS attend games as a fan then? What if he buys courtside season tickets.... :
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I'm sure the ban covers that

This whole debacle is 100% proof that your conduct away from the office, and your personal life, DOES matter whether you like it or not. If one of us, being employed by our employer, does something that our employer doesn't like, we can get fired for it even if it occurs outside the confines of the office, as it reflects poorly on the organization. My point in saying all this is I don't see how this Sterling situation is any different.

I know Sterling is an owner, and not an employee of the NBA, but that's how I look at it in this situation as well. Sterling owns the team but still has to abide by the NBA. Same way any company still has to abide by the regulations set out by the government.

(This is just to rebut anyone who thinks Sterling's "rights" are being violated)

Last edited:
Yeah the NBA has its own constitution where 3/4 of the owners can vote someone out if they are deemed unfit to own the team. And the NBA is a private corporation, so technically they can do anything they want to someone's franchise unless the powers they do are not listed within their constitution

Highly doubt 3/4th's of the owners will vote him out.

Owners look out for each other, billionaires look out for each other. Sterling won't sell.

Last edited:

Owners look out for each other, billionaires look out for each other. Sterling won't sell.
There's no way Silver made this decision without consulting the owners.

The fact that Silver came out so strongly and said he intends to try and get that 3/4 vote, that alone indicates he has the owners on his side.

I also suspect many of these owners have long hated Sterling.  They supported his cheapness for 2 decades.
This whole debacle is 100% proof that your conduct away from the office, and your personal life, DOES matter whether you like it or not. If one of us, being employed by our employer, does something that our employer doesn't like, we can get fired for it even if it occurs outside the confines of the office, as it reflects poorly on the organization. My point in saying all this is I don't see how this Sterling situation is any different.

I know Sterling is an owner, and not an employee of the NBA, but that's how I look at it in this situation as well. Sterling owns the team but still has to abide by the NBA. Same way any company still has to abide by the regulations set out by the government.
Duh.  That's how it has been for eternity.  If you act like a despicable person in your personal life, you can get fired and have trouble getting a job...  Just how life works.

Last edited:

The owners ain't that buddy buddy. They know if they don't vote him out, the public will come at their necks and the NBA

if they make the votes public, i think he'll get unanimously voted out.

if the votes are private and positively will not leak out, he won't be voted out.

The owners will absolutely vote him out because he hurts the NBA brand. If they keep Sterling in the fold, the NBA will undoubtedly lose revenue and fan support. You think these other owners are going to take a loss on this idiots behalf? You're sadly mistaken my friend. This decision boards down to money. The Clippers were going to loss so much money it's not even funny. Sponsors were already starting to drop the ClIppers. The other NBA owners aren't stupid. Sterling will be ok with or without the Clippers.

if they make the votes public, i think he'll get unanimously voted out.

if the votes are private and positively will not leak out, he won't be voted out.
If he doesn't get voted out somehow, the slander for the NBA will be at an all time high

it is private.

He will be voted out.

The owners know the score, Adam Silver will hit them with a leak if they don't ack right.

i'm finding it hard to believe that owners will join together to vote out another owner based on a illegal recording being made public. it's just a slippery slope IMO. opens up owners potentially becoming victim to mob mentality, even if they are complete racist bigots

The owners will absolutely vote him out because he hurts the NBA brand. If they keep Sterling in the fold, the NBA will undoubtedly lose revenue and fan support. You think these other owners are going to take a loss on this idiots behalf? You're sadly mistaken my friend. This decision boards down to money. The Clippers were going to loss so much money it's not even funny. Sponsors were already starting to drop the ClIppers. The other NBA owners aren't stupid. Sterling will be ok with or without the Cli
Yup.  they don't have any loyalty to Sterling.
i'm finding it hard to believe that owners will join together to vote out another owner based on a illegal recording being made public. it's just a slippery slope IMO. opens up owners potentially becoming victim to mob mentality, even if they are complete racist bigots
Despise when people see every decision as a "slippery slope".  What's slippery?  Dude went about as far as you can possibly go in terms of racist acts for 30 years.  Not like he was rude to a black person one time.

Last edited:

not really, its a private organization not a court of law.

slippery slope is a fallacious argument in this scenario.

Last edited:

There's no way Silver made this decision without consulting the owners.

The fact that Silver came out so strongly and said he intends to try and get that 3/4 vote, that alone indicates he has the owners on his side.

I also suspect many of these owners have long hated Sterling.  They supported his cheapness for 2 decades.

Paul Allen and Jerry Reinsdorf are the most powerful owners and both of them support SIlver. Its a wrap for Sterling.

Back
Top Bottom