The College Basketball Post

I do think JB has given the freshman too much a freedom

A 6'9 kid should not be lettin off 7 three's a game...

Devo and Rautins injuries did hurt. There is some talent there but i dont think the level of talent is great

Recruits well but just not a good coach anymore. HOF, all the wins, national chip, 3 final 4's is going to equal a great coach in everybody's mind.That's fine. Allowing Donte to continue to chuck up 3's when he should be going inside is just another example of his bad coaching. Last season, Dorfwould take 1 contested 3pter and be benched for 5 mins
eyes.gif

Ideally I would like Jimmy's recruiting with Hopkins actually coaching the team. He's the guy who's really helping the team in practice and allthat. I'd love to tape a practice...Jimmy doing nothing....just talking to reporters or sitting and drinking coffee. It's like he made the HOF, so hedoesn't care anymore.

Yea i agree totally with Allen the Donte' Greene 3 pointer *%*% has to stop.

When he is open i understand but not in your face, fade away, three pointers.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Yea i agree totally with Allen the Donte' Greene 3 pointer *%*% has to stop.

When he is open i understand but not in your face, fade away, three pointers.

Donte isn't aggressive at all. He's scared of contact. Who's a fake Cuse fan? I keep it real with all of my teams. I state the facts no matterhow they are playing. F outta here.

IU pulled it off.. Illinois came with everything they had, prolly played their best game of the year but IU was too much in the end
pimp.gif

Who's a fake Cuse fan?
Anyone who is giving up on the team already. I don't believe you have.....

IU pulled it off.. Illinois came with everything they had, prolly played their best game of the year but IU was too much in the end
You know they wanted to win this game more then anything because of Gordon
laugh.gif

I am not giving up. I am pissed off.

We just don't even seem to care when we play.

No defense and just let guys get open and easy shots.

Petey - i think you follow the program more closely than almost anybody I've ever seen... but that doesn't mean you aren't delusional about whereyou guys stand as a team. Maybe you get too close sometimes.

I think your fellow cuse fans are more on the right track about this season.. there are bigger problems with your squad than you're recognizing, andi'd be very concerned about the direction the team is going... getting smacked around on the road by a middle of the road by a middle of the pack team inyour conference is not what tournament bound teams do. Now the numbers like you right now, but you've gotta hope the team gets it together the next twoweeks, with 3 real tough ones coming up after Rutgers... A bad stretch there (say 2-2 or 1-3 over the next two weeks) and you're on your way out the door,imo, considering the last 6 games on your schedule make up your toughest stretch of the season.

I guess you're just an optimist? But seriously - you must win games you're supposed to win, and your boys were supposed to win that game today andinstead got clobbered. Then again, this is the same cuse team that's 2-2 vs the A-10 this season so far
laugh.gif
Maybe this just isn't your year again?

Anyways - Involving other matters - the big ten is a four bid league... and i think it's between just indiana, wisconsin and ohio state in that order as ofright now.. Mighigan State is struggling right now to figure themselves out, they'll be safe in terms of a bid but i think they finish 4th place in theleague behind these three. Really like the guard play for both hoosiers and ohio state - butler is going to win b10 POY if ohio state keeps this up - he'sreally carrying that team. Wiskey is just being wiskey - winning games with very little talent and a lot of smarts.

Pomeroy Ratings (based on the pythag. winning formula) have the top ten like this, as of last night:

Kansas

Memphis

Marquette

UCLA

Duke

Wisconsin

North Carolina

Xavier

Texas AM

West Virginia

Most efficient offense in the country right now? Texas

Most efficient defense however? Memphis... yeah i was kinda surprised too.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Who was the dude from Syracuse that got yammed on by Alexander from WVU ???

I think Arinze.Joe got him good too.

But did yall see Johnny almost poop on 2 guys?
eek.gif

It was the same as the Virgina game.

He cocked it back and almost did it too.

Actually forget Greene

if yahoo stats are accurate

Taylor King is lettin off 5 threes in 13 minutes a game....now that is impressive
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Actually forget Greene

Taylor King is lettin off 5 threes in 13 minutes a game....now that is impressive
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

My dude Taylor has the green light....Not like JJ had it, but a green light nonetheless...

Actually forget Greene

laugh.gif

taylor always been a chucker
laugh.gif

But seriously - you must win games you're supposed to win, and your boys were supposed to win that game today and instead got clobbered.
You should know that every year WVU is 2 diff teams at home and on the road. WVU is incredibly tough to beat at their place.. THEY were 9.5 favs,so I don't see how we were "supposed" to win that game. We were supposed to win the cinci game but WVU is a good team and especially good athome. Thus the reason they have already beat Quette by 15 at home and now Cuse by 20.

Last year- 17-1 @ Home, 5-8 on the Road
Year before- 13-4 @ Home, 7-6 on the Road
Year before- 12-4 @ Home, 6-5 on the Road
Year before- 11-4 @ Home, 4-8 on the Road

You get the picture.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Most efficient defense however? Memphis... yeah i was kinda surprised too.

I always consider Memphis' stats and rankings in things like that skewed because of the conference they play in.....They are such a good team andeveryone they play in their league is so horrid.

eek.gif
Thats my man. Kid is the leading scorer in California history......ofcourse he is gonna gun it when he gets in the game....especially since coach K only plays him 15 min. a game

I always consider Memphis' stats and rankings in things like that skewed because of the conference they play in.....They are such a good team and everyone they play in their league is so horrid.
Lucky for you, those stats are adjusted for schedule strength... so they are still in fact the number 1 most efficient defense, giving up only 78points per 100 possessions after the adjustment is made to their raw number of 83.

Don't worry - UCLA is 7th, very respectable still.
smile.gif

You should know that every year WVU is 2 diff teams at home and on the road. WVU is incredibly tough to beat at their place.. THEY were 9.5 favs, so I don't see how we were "supposed" to win that game. We were supposed to win the cinci game but WVU is a good team and especially good at home. Thus the reason they have already beat Quette by 15 at home and now Cuse by 20.
So what you're saying is, you think WVU is better than Syracuse... fair enough
laugh.gif

Andy Katz insider from today:
[h1]Zags face a tough road[/h1]
posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 | Print Entry

LOS ANGELES -- Josh Heytvelt got a good sized ribbing Saturday night at Loyola Marymount's Gersten Pavilion.
So, too, did the rest of his Gonzaga teammates.

The Zags won the WCC opener handily 91-68 in front of fairly raucous 3,692 fans. But what isn't underscored enough is how Gonzaga's road trips are akin to what the following teams face away from home: Duke and North Carolina in the ACC, Kansas in the Big 12, Florida and Kentucky in the SEC, Michigan State and Indiana in the Big Ten, UCLA and Arizona in the Pac-10 and even Butler in the Horizon.

Team get up to play the Zags in the WCC and so do the fans. LMU's last home game against a solid Sam Houston State drew 1,230 fans on Dec. 30.

LMU head coach Rodney Tention was on the Arizona staff prior to landing the here so he knows all about how much the Zags have to have their A game every time out -- just like the Wildcats did when he was an assistant in Tucson. Still, Tention is convinced that if the Lions win they'll pack the house (LMU beat Gonzaga here a year ago).

"You can't describe it," Gonzaga sophomore guard Matt Bouldin said of always going on the road and being a target. "We watch these games on TV … Georgetown and UConn looked so intense but our games are just as intense. You've got to come out to play. It's a challenge every game."

The LMU fans rode Heytvelt hard because of his arrest on a drug charge that ultimately got him suspended from mid-February on last season.

"You hear it, it made me laugh," Heytvelt said. "Everybody had something to say. I take it with a good heart and forgive and forget. But these people don't forget anything."

Heytvelt, who missed the first half of the season with a broken foot, scored a team-high 19 and grabbed five boards.

"I'm definitely starting to play better," said Heytvelt, who produced his most points since coming back from his injury on Dec. 20.
[h2]Random notes[/h2]

• The Zags finally feel like Matt Bouldin gets that he needs to be the go-to guy on the Zags. Once he embraces that role they feel they'll be fine in the NCAA Tournament.

• Clay Thompson was at the UCLA-Washington State game prior to the tip he said that the Cougars' No. 4 ranking gave him even more confidence about the decision to sign with WSU over Notre Dame.

Thompson, who is the son of former NBA player Mychal, said that the Cougars' team-oriented system would suit him fine. The perception used to be that the Bennetts couldn't land someone like Thompson.

• I kept hearing from scouts over the weekend that UCLA's Russell Westbrook would get plenty of good looks if he were to declare. Also, if Gonzaga's Austin Daye can ever get meat on his bones, the feeling is that he's skilled enough to be an NBA player.

• Delaware was my team of the week. And there needs to be even more discussion. The Blue Hens' turnaround is quite remarkable. Delaware's 5-0 start in the CAA will be severely tested over the next three games, all on the road at VCU Wednesday, at Northeastern Saturday and then at James Madison on Jan. 23.

This is the same team that lost by 33 at Central Connecticut State, by 19 at Ohio and by 30 at Maryland.

So, what happened? Well, the Blue Hens added Georgetown transfer Marc Egerson and Nebraska transfer Jim Ledsome eight games ago. The Blue Hens are 6-2 with them on the team.

"I made a mistake," said second-year Delaware coach Monte Ross. "I had never had mid-year transfers at Lehigh, Drexel or Saint Joe's. We all looked at them as saviors to the team and it was a debacle at Central Connecticut. But we've put it together since then."

The Blue Hens won only five games a year ago. But after losing the opener at Marist, Ross said sophomore guard Brian Johnson told him he knew it was different than a year ago. He said the attitude was clearly more refreshing.

And if you're looking for yet another hidden-gem freshman then you'll find one at Delaware with Alphonso Dawson (10.7 ppg). He scored 18 in the win at Drexel, 13 in the win over George Mason and 12 in the win over Old Dominion.

• Missouri's Mike Anderson's style is working of late. The Tigers are scoring at a furious pace. Missouri shot a combined 41 of 58 overall, 8 of 15 on 3s with a 28-to-13-assist-to-turnover ratio in the wins over UMKC and Texas. Missouri has nine players averaging 13.2 minutes a game. That means Anderson is running players in and out the way he wants.

• In talking to Maryland's Gary Williams late last week prior to the game at Virginia Tech, he was pleased the Terps finally had confidence after winning four in a row following a three-game losing streak. Williams said the Terps are so young that this season has been challenging. Still, the Terps needed confidence and Williams said the Terps had it heading into Virginia Tech. We'll see how losing a tough one by one point will affect Maryland against Wake Forest at home Tuesday before going to North Carolina and hosting Duke in the next two weeks.

Prior to Virginia Tech, Williams was feeling good about James Gist scoring again, as well as Bambale Osby, to give Maryland a needed inside threat.

Still, for Maryland to be 10-7, 0-2 in the ACC on Jan. 14 seems odd.

• Billy Donovan said prior to Florida's win over Auburn was he was looking to see how this team would find its identity. He said the locker room the past two years had its strong voice in Joakim Noah, its jovial voices in Corey Brewer and Taurean Green and its silent presence in Al Horford. He also was looking to see how this team would handle adversity. So far the Gators are 2-0 in the SEC, so the adversity hasn't come yet in the league.

• Robert Morris beat Boston College earlier in the week but then lost to Sacred Heart at home Sunday, 82-69, to drop to 3-2 in the NEC.

• Arkansas is looking like it should be a player in the SEC West now that the Hogs have won at Auburn and then beat Alabama Sunday in overtime.

Will Daniels' 28 points and winning shot with three seconds left gave Rhode Island the win over Duquesne Sunday. That's the kind of win that keeps a magical season going for a team that may end up on the bubble in March.

• West Virginia may end up being the classic tough out at home, but struggle on the road, as witnessed by beating Syracuse at home Sunday.

• Give Bruce Weber and the Illini credit for an outstanding effort to nearly clip Indiana Sunday in Bloomington. The season has been rough for the Illini so far but they showed they had plenty of fight still left.

• Oregon had to have the sweep of Cal and Stanford to stay in the hunt for a top three finish in the Pac-10.

Actually forget Greene

laugh.gif
Taylor has that ratchet tho
laugh.gif

"I couldn't watch it," Blair said yesterday. "I was going crazy. Just watching Aaron, I don't know what was wrong, man, letting Roy do all that. I'm not going to let him do that to me."
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom