The College Basketball Post

Baylor FG% = 33%
Texas FG% = 31%
Baylor FT% = 67%
Texas FT% = 25%

sick.gif

The Bears need this one bad, though... They gotta get back on a good note...

Baylor was our adopted team last year in this thread.. they disappointed in the tourney a bit, but a nice run. I still pull for them a bit just b/c of thattragedy a few years back.

Even if he is playin bad, Coach Drew over-coaching this thing not having Jerrells in this game right now...
smh.gif

[h1]Maryland Officials Rebut Williams[/h1]

By Eric Prisbell and Steve Yanda

Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, January 28, 2009; Page E01

Maryland athletic department officials and men's basketball coach Gary Williams engaged in an emphatic back-and-forth yesterday over who made thedecisions that led to two heralded prospects deciding to attend other schools last offseason, a debate that culminated with Williams questioning thecredentials of a senior associate athletic director.

This Story

This Story

Asked Monday about the program's ability to recruit top-level talent, Williams cited South Florida's Gus Gilchrist and Kent State's Tyree Evans, among others, as players who had enrolled or shown interest in Maryland but had ended up elsewhere.

"Yeah, and it wasn't my fault that they're not here. You know, that was somebody else's call," Williams said.

Kathy Worthington, Maryland's senior associate athletic director, yesterday called Williams's remarks "inaccurate" and said she was "very surprised by Gary's comments because I had been so involved with each recruit."

ad_label_leftjust.gif

After Maryland lost to Boston College, 76-67, last night, Williams defended his remarks and his program, and added that "Kathy Worthington doesn't speak for me. She has never won a national championship. She has never done anything. She is an associate AD.

"Why do they jump on me all the time?" Williams said of school officials. "It's somebody else's call. Who said University of Maryland's call? Nobody. Why can't I say that? This is just giving you guys stuff to make me look bad."

The latest chapter in the strained relationship between Williams and athletic department officials comes at a time when Williams's recruiting efforts are under scrutiny because Maryland is facing the prospect of missing the NCAA tournament for the fourth time in five years.

Worthington said Williams alone made the decision to grant Gilchrist a release from his scholarship by signing a document that enables a player to speak with other schools about transferring. Worthington provided The Washington Post with a copy of the release, which is signed by only Williams and dated May 3, 2008.

"We had put a tremendous amount of work into getting him here," Worthington said of Gilchrist, who had transferred from Virginia Tech. "And it was my recommendation that we not release him and have him stay at least through one season of play. But Gary felt differently, and obviously it is the head coach's choice."

Worthington said she was never under the impression that Williams felt he was under pressure to sign the release.

Williams said Gilchrist had made up his mind to leave and that signing the release had nothing to do with his departure.

When asked if he gets the support he needs in recruiting from the athletic department, Williams said: "I don't want to get into that now. No comment."

The recruitment of Evans in the spring garnered attention because the Richmond native had a long record of criminal offenses, including misdemeanor convictions for marijuana possession and assault and battery. But Worthington's review of Evans revealed an additional criminal charge that Evans had not disclosed to the coaching staff.

This Story

This Story

"At the time, Gary was very upset because Tyree had not disclosed all those incidents to him," Worthington said. "Gary decided, because Tyree had not disclosed all the criminal incidents to him, that he no longer wanted to offer him aid."

As the admissions department was reviewing Evans's case, Worthington said Williams called the Maryland Office of Student Conduct, which typically reviews cases of students with criminal backgrounds along with the admissions department, to say he was no longer interested in Evans.

On May 19, Williams told John Zacker, the director of the Office of Student Conduct, that he did not want Evans on the team because he had not disclosed all of the criminal charges, according to the chronology of events produced by the athletic department and the university's legal office.

ad_label_leftjust.gif

Zacker confirmed in a telephone interview that Williams called him to say that there was more to Evans's criminal record than what had previously been disclosed.

In late May, five weeks after Evans signed with Maryland, the shooting guard, then 23, requested and was granted a release from his letter-of-intent, the school announced.

Williams said the reason why Evans did not wind up at Maryland was because "he would have had to go through so much to just be a student on campus after what had been said in the papers."

Williams's recent comments set off the latest squabble between Williams and athletic department officials.

Two sources within the athletic department, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation, said communication between Williams and AD Debbie Yow has been poor for years.

When asked if there is a communication issue, Williams said: "Take a look. I coach here. I've got to live here. That's the way it is. I've coached here for 20 years, long before anyone else was here. Nobody was here 20 years ago."

^^
eek.gif

The. End.

Gary's done. I'll miss him though, he was great for this program (up until recent years). Good luck in your future endeavors Gary!

Edit: I still refuse to give up on the team this season. Call me crazy, but I'm just too attached.

Originally Posted by MDterps4

I still refuse to give up on the team this season. Call me crazy, but I'm just too attached.
No need to substantiate. Everyone here thinks you are crazy.
roll.gif

roll.gif

It'd be nice if MD NT could fire you too.

Sounds like Gary's setting himself up to get a buyout.

The pick was nasty. Dude from Purdue was laid out lol.

I didn't expect Ole miss to win against KY though.

I dunno if getting rid of Gary is going to be that simple....that buyout COULD complicate things. It's obvious that there is some disconnect betweenWilliams and the AD at UMD...they just might have to weather the storm before he, and his contract are off the books.

I'll take Wake at home

Their frontcourt is better then Dukes. Way more athletic and can make playes. Then Teague who can score

STUD OF THE NIGHT: The Northeastern Huskies held off VCU in Richmond to take control of the CAA. Bill Coen's team knocked off George Masonat home last week and has won consecutive road contests against Old Dominion and VCU. Coen's team is 14-6 and 9-1 in league play.
DUDS OF THE NIGHT: For the first time, we're going to share the award between two teams - Kentucky and Maryland - TheWildcats lost to a decimated Ole Miss team and Jodie Meeks was held in check. He was 4-of-15 and 3-of-10 from long distance and UK has fallen back into thejust-another-team label after cracking the Top 25 this past week.

The Terps didn't exactly respond from that pasting down in Durham, losing at home to a mediocre Boston College team. Maryland is now2-4 in the ACC and in danger of going to yet another NIT - if the Terps are lucky.

STAT OF THE NIGHT: Wisconsin's loss to Purdue was the first time the Badgers lost consecutive home games in theeight-year Bo Ryan Era. It was also the first time the Badgers have lost five straight overall since 1998.

UNDER-THE-RADAR PERFORMANCE: Miami fell below the .500 mark in an overtime road loss at N.C. State. The Hurricanes are14-6 overall and 3-4 in ACC play.
Notable game scheduled for Wednesday: Wake Forest was No. 1 last week. Duke is No. 1 this week. Now thetwo schools will meet at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum with a combined record of 34-2. Wake Forest is led by Jeff Teague, who is averaging 21.5points per game. Duke is lead by Kyle Singler, who is averaging 16.5 points per game. Tip-off is set for 7 pm ET.

I thought for sure Northeastern would be awful after moving outa America East.
eek.gif

I go with Wake as well.

Wake should win. I think their still better then Duke.

#$%+!#! athletic as hell. I like the matchups all over.

Johnson Aminu up front should destroy that $%*#$ Zoubek
pimp.gif

I hope Teague can drop 30 to get his player of the year campaign in 1st place. No need to handjob to win again.

Cuse better be ready to go tonight...can be a strange place to play, and against a decent squad.

Pitt should handle Nova.

Back
Top Bottom