[font=times new roman, times, serif]The New #1[/font]
Is Pitt It?

by John Gasaway
[/td] [td]Printer-
friendly
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Contact
Author
[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
If you saw Pitt dismantle Georgetown 70-54 on Saturday on the Hoyas' home floor, you may wonder if the title question is necessary. Whether it was DeJuan Blair feasting on the offensive glass on his way to a majestic 20-17 double-double, or the Panthers as a team moving the ball around like a pinball before scoring yet another basket, Jamie Dixon's group clearly looked every inch the best team in the nation at the Verizon Center.

Of course, the Hoyas looked pretty good themselves last week up in Hartford, beating Connecticut 74-63. Not to mention Pitt didn't look nearly as impressive beating Rutgers by just six points last Wednesday night. (What is it with Pitt and Rutgers? Last year the Scarlet Knights won by 13 at Pitt.) Yes, Blair was in foul trouble for virtually the whole game against the Knights and the Pitt team we saw in Piscataway is not the team we're likely to see the rest of the way. My point is simply that we should guard against getting too carried away, positively or negatively, by the last game we saw. There will be another one soon enough.

Still, Pitt fans can at least be forgiven for getting carried away about this offense right now. In fact, I trust that one salutary effect of Saturday's nationally televised beat-down was that it finally laid to rest the myth that the Panthers, invariably praised as "physical" and "rugged," are somehow too muscular to be truly elite on offense.

Nothing could be further from the truth. If you need more evidence than Pitt scoring 70 points in 60 possessions on the road against one of the nation's best defenses, allow me to refer you to last year, when the Panthers scored 1.09 points per possession in Big East play. This was an excellent offense last year. It is again this year. It's an offense built on three big names: Blair, Sam Young and Levance Fields. Blair arrived as a highly touted recruit--a little overweight, maybe, but everyone knew he'd be special. He is. I've said this before but it bears repeating: Blair records steals at a rate usually maintained only by players 75 to 100 pounds his junior. He did it again on the second play of the game against Georgetown on Saturday.

Young's has been a more interesting trajectory. As recently as two years ago, back when Pitt was led by Aaron Gray, there was little to indicate that Young would someday be Dixon's featured scorer, much less the toast of the Big East. Yet here he is. To watch Young take on more of the load on offense over the past two seasons while simultaneously becoming much more efficient has been to bear witness to the flouting of a canonical basketball tendency: the more possessions you use, the less efficient you become. Except it didn't work out that way this time. Young has developed into a potent force on offense, most particularly inside the arc, where this year he's making 59 percent of his twos.

Then there's Fields, whose development has been, if anything, even more unusual, as he's accepted a smaller share of the shots in order to become an outstanding pass-first point guard. While the Panthers aren't exactly fast-paced (averaging about 66 possessions per 40 minutes), Fields has the ability to hit the accelerator when appropriate and, most crucially, to gather assists in bunches without giving the ball away.

With all this talent and all these skills, the game plan for any Pitt opponent is two-fold: force the Panthers to shoot threes and keep Blair (and his teammates) off the offensive glass. The dilemma posed by Pitt, of course, is that the best way to accomplish the former objective, a zone, inhibits accomplishing the second goal.

Or does it? Consider Syracuse last year. The Orangemen have long been synonymous with the term "zone defense." Yet somehow way back in 2008 Jim Boeheim's team managed to combine zone D with excellent defensive rebounding. Future Pitt opponents, take heart! True, it didn't work out so well for Georgetown but maybe you can have your zone and your boards too. The 'Cuse did it last year with strength in numbers: Donte Greene, Arinze Onuaku and Paul Harris, in particular. Other Big East teams might try to do the same, given the Panthers' iffy perimeter shooting. So far this season Pitt has made exactly one in every three of its attempts from beyond the arc.

Nor is outside shooting the only concern about this team, assuming you feel you simply must see this glass as half-empty. Here's a table I used in the book to explain my wait-and-see attitude toward Pitt's D, an attitude based on a three-season trend:

Pitt interior D, 2006-2008

Conference games only
Def. reb. pct.: defensive rebound percentage
Opp. PPP: opponent points per possession
Code:
                 2006     2007     2008Opp. 2FG pct.    46.6     48.7     50.3Def. reb. pct.   69.6     68.8     65.9Opp. PPP         1.00     0.97     1.05
Plainly stated, Pitt is short. They're athletic as all get out and freakishly proficient on the offensive glass, no doubt. Nevertheless, they're short. So I was very surprised that John Thompson III and/or his team didn't give Greg Monroe more post touches. If Monroe can score on pure one-on-one post moves against Hasheem Thabeet, I thought to myself Saturday, he can surely do it against someone eight inches shorter than Thabeet (i.e., Blair). Finally in the second half, Monroe got the ball on the low block--and Blair promptly blocked the freshman's shot. (Shows what I know.) The next time he had the rock in the paint, Monroe scored, but by this point the game was getting out of hand for the Hoyas. I doubt every Big East opponent will wait as long as the Hoyas did to challenge, and try to draw fouls on, Blair.

Is Pitt the best team in the country? A better question might be: who are the best teams? Carolina may have lost at home to Boston College but the Tar Heels will rise again. (After all, last year the Final Four-bound Heels lost at home to a team, Maryland, that didn't even make the NCAA tournament.) As for Pitt, well, clearly they've already risen. Until further notice the best teams in the country include, at a minimum, UNC and the Panthers, warts and all.

John Gasaway is an author of Basketball Prospectus. You can contact John by clicking here or click here to see John's other articles.

Iono K... You take away Jack and that team is SUS....PECT!!!!

This damn fool Bilas just said Tory Jackson was the Best PG in the Big East... ummm last time I checked Jonny was top 3 in the country (he said it himself) AJis back healthy and even that fat *@!+ Levance is in the B.E

I mean I love Jay and all but he has to be on Water if he really believes that *+@!
laugh.gif

$#@%%+% Gody
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Iono K... You take away Jack and that team is SUS....PECT!!!!

This damn fool Bilas just said Tory Jackson was the Best PG in the Big East... ummm last time I checked Jonny was top 3 in the country (he said it himself) AJ is back healthy and even that fat *@!+ Levance is in the B.E

I mean I love Jay and all but he has to be on Water if he really believes that *+@!
laugh.gif

$#@%%+% Gody
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
You right about Miami, but again, that just shows how divided the ACC is aka top heavy cause the bottom half is sub-par right now.

And you know how these announcers get. They get caught up in the flow of the game and wanna throw some hype towards whoever playin' well at the moment.

Gody > Hansbum....and I honestly believe it's not even close (don't talk to me about that head to head matchup).

man, I was at the BYU/Wake game, and i've never heard the arena that loud. That Jeff Teauge is a great player, he really put on a show. i don't reallyfollow college hoops, but that Wake team really impressed me. I hope we can see more ACC teams come down to Provo. Hell anyone, its been hard to schedule goodteams to play here

Ok guys I don't enter this thread often but I've been watching a lot of games the past few weeks and I had a question....

is it just me or does it seem like Hansborough and Harangody get EVERY call??....and more times then not it is them who initiated the contact

One of the more encouraging halves I've seen this year.

I don't care about the score..that's Notre Dame at home...

Little things add up and there are a lot of encouraging signs so far. From Sapp moving back on the ball at times, to Henry and Jason getting moreexperience..actually boxing out at times...

That said, I expect to make a run in the 2nd half. If not, get a week to regroup..

As far as Gody goes...when he checks the other teams best post player..talk to me...until then he's a one trick pony.

Boston College Class of 2009 right here...take that Tar Heels

That game was great all the way through...and I've been a UNC fan since I could walk...I've been wearing UNC Jordan jerseys since I was little...sothis game meant even more...this just proves how unpredictable college sports are...I think UNC is extremely talented but they are overrated in my eyes...andlast night, a young BC team proved that...Tyrese Rice is the real deal and our young guys remained poised and focused down the stretch and never let UNC getback in the game...great game BC...looking forward to the Wake game next week at home

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Tiki Mayben has been around for a HOT minute...lot of off the court problems but dude was a top 5 PG in the country in HS at one point
a lot is an understatement..

nice to see Broadus take him in and he's found some stability.

Still never improved his jumper..but still a pretty good lead guard.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

One of the more encouraging halves I've seen this year.

I don't care about the score..that's Notre Dame at home...

Little things add up and there are a lot of encouraging signs so far. From Sapp moving back on the ball at times, to Henry and Jason getting more experience..actually boxing out at times...

That said, I expect to make a run in the 2nd half. If not, get a week to regroup..

As far as Gody goes...when he checks the other teams best post player..talk to me...until then he's a one trick pony.

We all know he's defensively ******ed but he's got the most intelligent low post game in the country, and yes I'll put his offense above Griffinand Pat Patterson (don't talk to me about Hansbroad). All he needs to do at the next level is score and rebound, and he's top 3 in both amongst bigmen in the country.

This Georgetown squad is makin' me look like an idiot for hyping them up after the UConn game. These dudes have no low post game whatsoever and if teamsare able to read their backdoor/cut schemes then it's a wrap for them. The Hoyas just need to run everything through Summers and Monroe in a traditionalsense with Wright playmaking and Freeman and Sapp on the wings.

Allen, stop hating, you said dude couldn't score on legit big men and he has been doing it all night. Yes Gody, can't play D but he is the best big manin this conference. You can try shoveling whatever crap you want on to him but dude's game keeps improving. Last year he was flopping in the big games buthe is learning how to be a crunch time dude. Just accept the greatness that is 'Gody!!!

I'm not concerned at all...I never expected these games to be easy. When it's all said and done...I think they'll be right there in the Sweet16-Elite 8.

Back
Top Bottom