The Chris Andersen Thread.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

8 points, 9 rebounds and 7 blocks tonight.

c6dcc55fc8e11f224ab5adcaa56ac14d-getty-83009755ge014_clippers_nuggets.jpg

laugh.gif
@ the Nuggs announcer in the background

airmaxpenny1:
This thread sort of reeks of Cheezy and Jrain.
You didn't get the memo? If the athlete being jocked hard has 'swag', then jocking him in the same way JRain would is perfectly o.k.It's just called 'appreciating.' Sounds ridiculous and convenient to me, but I don't write the rules.

No but seriously, there's a lot of JRain-type fandom going on for this dude.

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

Originally Posted by Regent Park

*waits for Devendorf to come up.

LOL that dude got no swag son, tries to act hard like some bootleg slim shady jumpoff, birdman is just has that natural swag.
When in reality, Devendorf would smack the #!$% out of the Birdman.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

Originally Posted by Regent Park

*waits for Devendorf to come up.

LOL that dude got no swag son, tries to act hard like some bootleg slim shady jumpoff, birdman is just has that natural swag.
When in reality, Devendorf would smack the #!$% out of the Birdman.

Devo would smack that crackhead.

Great line tonight, dude is straight ridiculous on the defensive end.

About to watch the game on League Pass.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Great line tonight, dude is straight ridiculous on the defensive end.

About to watch the game on League Pass.
It's a really formidable front line, no matter who they have starting.

i hated him when he entered the dunk contest and wasted like 30 mins to do a simple dunk...lol. but he's a cool cat !

he's 2nd in the league in blocks to dwight howard, averaging 16 minutes less and about half a block less. not bad at all

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

airmaxpenny1:
This thread sort of reeks of Cheezy and Jrain.
You didn't get the memo? If the athlete being jocked hard has 'swag', then jocking him in the same way JRain would is perfectly o.k. It's just called 'appreciating.' Sounds ridiculous and convenient to me, but I don't write the rules.

No but seriously, there's a lot of JRain-type fandom going on for this dude.

You'd have to actually watch him in action to appreciate the energy he brings and the interviews he gives. The Nuggets' success thisseason isn't just about Chauncey Billups. If a WNBA player was doing the same thing, you'd have made a similar thread, or at least thrown in a
pimp.gif
if someone else (the other WNBA fan) had started it.

As for 'swag', what else do you call slickin' the hair back after you swat the ball into the opponents face? Or how about saying that the opposingteam had to throw running floaters '"up to the moon" to keep him from blocking them during a post game interview? Dude plays with energy on bothend of the floor, can clean up the glass (with plenty of putback dunks), play perimeter D, swat shots on the regular, and keeps the audience entertained.He's definitely a step UP from Camby and he's definitely appreciated.

^ I appreciate his energy, definitely. I love his style of play, his commitment to defense, his presence, everything.

And no, posting a reply of agreement or posting a
pimp.gif
is NOT what people are talking about when they say 'JRain status is being reached in thisthread.' You know better than that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ I appreciate his energy, definitely. I love his style of play, his commitment to defense, his presence, everything.

And no, posting a reply of agreement or posting a
pimp.gif
is NOT what people are talking about when they say 'JRain status is being reached in this thread.' You know better than that.
laugh.gif
Aight, I got you. But honestly, I haven't taken the time to read a JRain post since his first one about Moss. So maybe I missed something.

Chris Andersen, Denver Nuggets rise again

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer Apr 17, 7:40 pm EDT

DENVER (AP)-So many things have gone right for the Denver Nuggets this season.

There's the trade that brought Chauncey Billups back to Denver, the return to health of big men Nene and Kenyon Martin. The maturation of Carmelo Anthony, the development of J.R. Smith.

But it's the acquisition of Chris "Birdman" Andersen and his spectacular play after missing almost two seasons because of a drug suspension that has the Nuggets doing so well, coach George Karl suggested.

The Nuggets are the second seed in the West and they have a first-round date with Andersen's former team, the New Orleans Hornets, beginning Sunday at the Pepsi Center.

It's the first time Denver has started a playoff series at home since 1988.

Andersen is one part of the Nuggets' frontcourt trio of Comeback Kids, along with Nene, who returned from testicular cancer, and Martin, who's overcome microfracture surgery to both knees.

"You have a cancer survivor that has been close to an All-Star year. You have a guy that has been maligned here because of his contract and now finally gives the foundation to a team that everybody expected of him," Karl said. "And then you have Chris Andersen, who, when I put in the game, there is a spirit to him walking up to the scorer's table. That doesn't happen in pro ball.

"Even the haters like Chris Andersen."

Andersen's ban lasted almost two years after he tested positive for an undisclosed "drug of abuse." He said he spent his time away from the game cleaning up his life and plotting his return.

"I kept a positive mind through it all. I stayed optimistic. I knew I wanted to come back and to be in the position I'm in," Andersen said. "Being on a team in second place in the Western Conference is just one of the rewards that I got through the hard work. The hard work paid off."

Karl was worried last summer when the Nuggets had to ditch defensive stud Marcus Camby to save $20 million, half of it in salary and the other half in luxury tax.

But Andersen, whose one-year deal is worth $998,398, has replaced Camby's shot-blocking and defensive disruption while adding a healthy dollop of exuberance that has made him a fan favorite.

One enthusiast even started a Web site called bringbackthebirdman.com, encouraging the Nuggets to re-sign Andersen, an unrestricted free agent this summer, to a multiyear deal.

"It's better than firegeorgekarl.com, I know that," Karl cracked.

But he's not joking when he insists the Nuggets wouldn't be where they are without the Birdman, who began his career in Denver, then had a breakout season in New Orleans in 2004-05 before his career was derailed by drugs.

Andersen returned to the Hornets late last season and played in five games, blocking four shots. Then, several teams offered him the same NBA minimum contract, but he wanted to play in Denver, where he lives.

So he returned to the Nuggets and helped them forget all about Camby's departure.

Karl considers himself lucky.

"It's a gift from the basketball gods above," Karl said. "No one predicted us to (have this much success). No one predicted that Chris Andersen could ever play as well as he's played. We had him in camp, we worked him out for 10 days before we signed him.

"And we never thought we'd get this. This has been a gift."

Andersen averaged 2.46 blocks per game, second in the NBA to Orlando Magic All-Star Dwight Howard's 2.92 and just ahead of the 2.13 blocks-per-game Camby averaged for the Los Angeles Clippers.

But get this: Andersen did his damage in 20.6 minutes per game, Howard clocked 35.7 minutes a night and Camby 31.

Andersen also averaged 6.4 points and 6.2 boards.

It's the intangibles, though, that make him so popular, his willingness to throw himself around seemingly without regard to his health and impervious to pain, to take charges, the electrify the crowd with his spark, spirit and spunk.

"He has an amazing way of bringing energy to the game," Karl said. "And it doesn't have a lot of polish to it. It's kind of all over the place and yet when you watch it on film, it actually has a better discipline than you think it does. He's been great. There's some games I can't wait for the 5-minute mark so I can start rotating."

And sending in Andersen, with all his colorful tattoos and spiky hair, to do his thing.

As far as Karl's concerned, this Nuggets season would have been one for the birds if not for the Birdman.

"I think we'd be lost," Karl said. "I mean, I don't know how we would have played small. We wouldn't have been able to play big most of the year. He's replaced, statistically, the shot block from Marcus. He's not the same type of player, but in some ways he's actually more."

Hornets coach Byron Scott has found himself wishing at times that Andersen was still on his side.
"We talk about how great J.R.'s season has been, but I think Bird has been just as important to them on the defensive end," Scott said. "We go a little ways back and I'm very proud of him for the way he's come back and played the last year."

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Dude annoys the hell out of me.

laugh.gif
....Why?...

I think dude is great for the NBA and glad he has cleaned up his drug habit (from what I assume?) and is now doing some great things for Denver. Hopefully hehas a great playoffs...dude is a block monster and a big time player down low. Dude is def. one of a kind.

Back
Top Bottom