The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
the guard position is the hardest to defend. because every night you are going up against someone who is eithr really good, really fast, or crazy athletic. center and power forward position is easiest to defend, then small forward.

defense in basketball doesn't really work that way in one on one match ups.

Great defensive bigs will almost always have a bigger impact than any great defensive wing or gaurd.

Last edited:
defense in basketball doesn't really work that way in one on one match ups.

Great defensive bigs will almost always have a bigger impact than any great defensive wing or gaurd.

But he didn't say that guards can have a bigger overall impact on the game than bigs. He said its harder to guard perimeter players than post players. There's a difference.

I'm really digging this Player's Tribune website.

First Blake, now Kevin Love.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation/
Adds to Pocket. Shout out to @Big J 33  man, Pocket has increased my article reading exponentially
Nash aint change ****
mean.gif
mean.gif

But he didn't say that guards can have a bigger overall impact on the game than bigs. He said its harder to guard perimeter players than post players. There's a difference.

I think it's harder to play elite big man defense then it is to be a good perimeter defender, bigs have more responsibilities to manage.

It maybe easier to gaurd bigs in a game of one on one, but in an organized game of 5 on 5 basketball it's more difficult to be a big than it is to be a perimeter player.

Last edited:
I think it's harder to play elite big man defense then it is to be a good perimeter defender, bigs have more responsibilities to manage.

It maybe easier to gaurd bigs in a game of one on one, but in an organized game of 5 on 5 basketball it's more difficult to be a big than it is to be a perimeter player.

You really think so? You think, say, Roy Hibbert, is working harder than the person on his team having to defend the opposing PG or two guard? He likely will impact a game more, but I'm not sold that what he has to do is harder.

do you even watch basketball or just post on NT?

cluttering my screen *hits ignore*
What did nash change about the game of basketball, the uptempo style?
laugh.gif
foh
This again? He changed NBA offense forever man. TO quote OKB
I don't know how to explain this to you, the NBA has assimilated D'antoni's principles, team shoot more 3's, use stretch fours a run spread pick and rolls, who out there is putting up Nash numbers? Which pass first PG's has offense units performing like Nash did

And on top of it being a elite defensive big carries much more weight. Steve Nash on those Suns teams were still around average on defense, then you take a guy like Bargani and look at the teams he was on, and they were last in defense two times and in the twenties two times.

You really think so? You think, say, Roy Hibbert, is working harder than the person on his team having to defend the opposing PG or two guard? He likely will impact a game more, but I'm not sold that what he has to do is harder.

a lot of what those guards are doing is just directing the ball in a particular direction.

Like in a lot of NBA schemes when the gaurd "ices" a pick and roll, he just over plays the middle and forces the ball handler one way. It's the big who has to basically play 2 on 1 cutting of the pass to the roll man while not allowing a lane to the basket.

like I said a lot of schemes have perimeter players directing the ball one way or another doesn't seem as hard was what the bigs have to keep track of.

Last edited:
This again? He changed NBA offense forever man. TO quote OKB

And on top of it being a elite defensive big carries much more weight. Steve Nash on those Suns teams were still around average on defense, then you take a guy like Bargani and look at the teams he was on, and they were last in defense two times and in the twenties two times.

Steve Nash was actually in the right place, and drew a ton of charges so James Harden is probably a better example.

Bargnani is a great example, Harden and Bargnani were both terrible defenders, but with steve nash its not that big of a deal you can manage it, with Bargnani it's a nightmare hell ride.

You can build an elite D with James Harden out there ******* up, it's basically impossible if Bargnani is playing major minutes.

Perimeter defenses is easier than interior defender. On the perimeter you're just pushing guys to spots where you have help

a lot of what those guards are doing is just directing the ball in a particular direction.

Like in a lot of NBA schemes when the gaurd "ices" a pick and roll, he just over plays the middle and forces the ball handler one way. It's the big who has to basically play 2 on 1 cutting of the pass to the roll man while not allowing a lane to the basket.

like I said a lot of schemes have perimeter players directing the ball one way or another doesn't seem as hard was what the bigs have to keep track of.

Fair enough. Its true that in PnR situations, bigs have to hedge to stop the guards and then get back to their men, which is pretty tough.

Definitely harder defending as a big, which is why rim protection is valued so much. A guy who can erase the mistakes of others plus defend his guy well is invaluable.

Magic & kidd wasnt doing what nash did?

Like i said what did nash do to change the game

All those teams you see constantly pushing the tempo at all times? That started in Phoenix. Nash was also an infinitely better shooter than Magic and Kidd, neither were pulling up for 3 in transition.

Nash the man. Dude was a true competitor. Will never forget that game with the bloody crooked nose and he was still thugging it. Tuff SOB. Arguably the best shooter ever. Mr. 50 40 90. Slick handles...absolute floor defender. Idc about his D. Slightly below Average defender to me. He tried at least.

It's mind boggling that y'all don't think CP3 is an elite defender. Other than pat bev...CP3 is the best defensive pg in the game. Idk what y'all watch but he's ALWAYS in position and fights and funnels the way you are supposed to.

You would think at 6ft he'd be a post up mismatch but those big guards struggle when trying to post him up. Y'all hate CP3 and let that cloud your judgement on a great player. It's insane.

That argument about his steals are BS...b/c he flat outs gets on ball steals.

AI wasn't a bad defender at all BTW. Above average...but he was free to roam and played for good defensive teams and stuck 1s that weren't a scoring threat. Being a ball hawk is an art that's under appreciated.

Nash the man. Dude was a true competitor. Will never forget that game with the bloody crooked nose and he was still thugging it. Tuff SOB. Arguably the best shooter ever. Mr. 50 40 90. Slick handles...absolute floor defender. Idc about his D. Slightly below Average defender to me. He tried at least.

It's mind boggling that y'all don't think CP3 is an elite defender. Other than pat bev...CP3 is the best defensive pg in the game. Idk what y'all watch but he's ALWAYS in position and fights and funnels the way you are supposed to.

You would think at 6ft he'd be a post up mismatch but those big guards struggle when trying to post him up. Y'all hate CP3 and let that cloud your judgement on a great player. It's insane.

AI wasn't a bad defender at all BTW. Above average...but he was free to roam and played for good defensive teams and stuck 1s that weren't a scoring threat. Being a ball hawk is an art that's under appreciated.
Avery Bradley is a better defender as well

Avery Bradley is a better defender as well

i like rondo's defense as well. russ, cpt kirk. would add drose to this as well*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom