Super Bowl XLIV Thread: Saints vs. Colts 2/7/09 6pm CBS vol: Peyton vs. Drew

Originally Posted by EdWord

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

marino must suck according to some of y'all
laugh.gif

marino was trash as far as im concerned , u play to win the game ....never did he take the initiative that peyton and brady put into the TEAM
c442537e1b5039b0c1de18be26b9c91a451704b.gif

63d251ceb95bc9d2ce7e52f5d12a1b8103e5d0c.gif

Originally Posted by EdWord

marino must suck according to some of y'all
laugh.gif

marino was trash

*shrugs*

He didn't do what all these other QB's did. 

It's not the way I see it, but I can understand folk who think that.  I am much the same way about certain NBA players. 

So again,

*shrugs*

As far as the super bowl goes, you have to go with the more experienced team and more experienced QB.  The way the saints reacted after winning the NFC championship game you would of thought they actually won the super bowl already.  After the game you got R.Bush saying "this is the greatest feeling ever," how is that the greatest feeling if you havent even experienced the super bowl yet. This saints team is too inexperienced and I believe content with just getting to the super bowl. 

A poised P.Manning and former super champion colts team > inexperienced saints team... by 6+ points

Originally Posted by YO GetOFFmyKickZ

Originally Posted by doyung9

I hope you don't think this is gonna be a repeat of that 2007 game.

1. We don't have the black hole known as Jason David anymore at corner.
2. You don't have Marvin Harrison
3. We have two good receiving TE's in Shockey and Thomas, both Bush and Thomas are running the ball well, Colston, Henderson, Meachem, and Bush are catching the ball well.
4. No Bob Sanders.
5. Darren Sharper
6. Gregg Williams

I know, I know, I know, before the endless pictures of Peyton Manning get posted, I know. He's GREAT. EASILY, one of the absolute GREATEST. But as MEDIOCRE as our pass defense is, I'll take them against the Colts receivers right now. Collie and Garcon played two great games (I predicted they'd play well and won some nice wagers in the process
laugh.gif
) but I still like Porter, Greer, and Sharper against them.

Like I said, you'd swear the Colts were playing the Browns.
1. true. cant argue that.. remember he played for us before being cut and signed by the Saints.. was NEVER a fan.
grin.gif

2. and we never again will have someone as great as he was to our squad
tired.gif
.. with that said.. we got Reggie Wayne
smile.gif

3. Shockeys hurt.. Thomas? ehh.. Your recievers are only effective when Brees throws a perfect ball.. Freeny and Mathis should prevent that.
4. Melvin Bullitt.
5. Dallas Clark.
6. Jeff Saturday.

im sorry.. your secondary doesnt stand a chance.. like i said.. WAYNE, CLARK, GARCON, COLLIE, hell ill even throw Mr. Baskett in the mix = Manning 350+ yds.. were indeed not playing the Browns, but you guys are playing THE BEST. Colts FTW.. 
wink.gif

I say Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator, and you respond with Jeff Saturday, the center? I'm confused, did I miss something?
[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]As far as Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark are concerned, I'm well aware of them, just like I didn't feel the need to mention Peyton, I didn't mention them. It's a given, those guys are gamers. They're gonna come to play, make plays and not disappoint.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our receivers only effective when Brees throws the perfect ball? C'mon son. Don't be delusional. Our receiving corp = yours, EASILY. [/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Colston - Wayne[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meachem - Garcon[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Henderson - Collie[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Moore - Baskett[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shockey - Clark [/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]You say Thomas, ehh? He had 30 less yards than Addai on FIFTY less carries. He's the only guy in the top 25 in rushing with LESS than 150 carries this season. 5.4 yards a pop. He might not be Adrian Peterson (maybe that's a good thing 
laugh.gif
 ) but he's certainly not ehhh. And I won't even mention the matchup problem Bush causes.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Like I've said. You guys have the best QB in the game. Possibly, best of all time. But Peyton's play will not singlehandedly win you the Super Bowl. Point. Blank. Period.[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

we had two good super bowls in consecutive years the last 2 years. i don't remember the last time that ever happened, so it seems tough to imagine 3 straight good close competetive super bowls in a row. hopefully this game is close and competetive though.

Originally Posted by YO GetOFFmyKickZ

I hope you don't think this is gonna be a repeat of that 2007 game.

1. We don't have the black hole known as Jason David anymore at corner.
2. You don't have Marvin Harrison
3. We have two good receiving TE's in Shockey and Thomas, both Bush and Thomas are running the ball well, Colston, Henderson, Meachem, and Bush are catching the ball well.
4. No Bob Sanders.
5. Darren Sharper
6. Gregg Williams

I know, I know, I know, before the endless pictures of Peyton Manning get posted, I know. He's GREAT. EASILY, one of the absolute GREATEST. But as MEDIOCRE as our pass defense is, I'll take them against the Colts receivers right now. Collie and Garcon played two great games (I predicted they'd play well and won some nice wagers in the process
laugh.gif
) but I still like Porter, Greer, and Sharper against them.

Like I said, you'd swear the Colts were playing the Browns.
1. true. cant argue that.. remember he played for us before being cut and signed by the Saints.. was NEVER a fan.
grin.gif

2. and we never again will have someone as great as he was to our squad
tired.gif
.. with that said.. we got Reggie Wayne
smile.gif

3. Shockeys hurt.. Thomas? ehh.. Your recievers are only effective when Brees throws a perfect ball.. Freeny and Mathis should prevent that.
4. Melvin Bullitt.
5. Dallas Clark.
6. Jeff Saturday.

im sorry.. your secondary doesnt stand a chance.. like i said.. WAYNE, CLARK, GARCON, COLLIE, hell ill even throw Mr. Baskett in the mix = Manning 350+ yds.. were indeed not playing the Browns, but you guys are playing THE BEST. Colts FTW.. 
wink.gif

I say Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator, and you respond with Jeff Saturday, the center? I'm confused, did I miss something?
[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]As far as Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark are concerned, I'm well aware of them, just like I didn't feel the need to mention Peyton, I didn't mention them. It's a given, those guys are gamers. They're gonna come to play, make plays and not disappoint.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our receivers only effective when Brees throws the perfect ball? C'mon son. Don't be delusional. Our receiving corp = yours, EASILY. [/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Colston - Wayne[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meachem - Garcon[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Henderson - Collie[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Moore - Baskett[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shockey - Clark [/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]You say Thomas, ehh? He had 30 less yards than Addai on FIFTY less carries. He's the only guy in the top 25 in rushing with LESS than 150 carries this season. 5.4 yards a pop. He might not be Adrian Peterson (maybe that's a good thing 
laugh.gif
 ) but he's certainly not ehhh. And I won't even mention the matchup problem Bush causes.[/font]

[/font]

[font=Times, Helvetica, sans-serif]Like I've said. You guys have the best QB in the game. Possibly, best of all time. But Peyton's play will not singlehandedly win you the Super Bowl. Point. Blank. Period.[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

laugh.gif
.. sorry my dude.. Gregg Williams just sounds like a DTs name..
embarassed.gif
but in that case.. Tom Moore.
wink.gif

and i was speaking of Thomas the TE not the RB.. Shockey isnt 100% so i dont expect him to hurt us much.. so Thomas.. eh.. Pierre Thomas on the other hand.. we must contain.. but i like the way we held up against the Jets running game, so my guess, well be just fine against the Saints running attack.. IVE SAID IT ALL SEASON LONG, OUR D IS TOO FAST.. THEY WILL CLOSE IN ON YOU IN A HURRY.

and no way in hell your recieving corp matches up with ours.. but ill just let you wait till SB Sunday fo you to see that on your own.
smile.gif

tombrady5.jpg

Says hi.
laugh.gif

Nah, but for real I got the Saints in this one.  Waaaaaaaaaay too many dude sleeping on them.
smh.gif

Like I've said. You guys have the best QB in the game. Possibly, best of all time. But Peyton's play will not singlehandedly win you the Super Bowl. Point. Blank. Period.

Colts have a great team all around, they are methodical offensively and are under-rated defensively.

and yes, manning can win this game alone, but he won't need to.

I'm siding with experience here, the Colts are on a mission (word to not going perfect).

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

Originally Posted by Mikeisoriginal

COLTS FAN REMEMBER THIS
http://www.nfl.com/videos...ns-vs-Indianapolis-Colts
I STILL REMEMBER THIS GAME LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY

Definitely remember this.. I actually know a few people from New Orleans and we always talk about how the Colts whooped that %!@ like time they played..
laugh.gif

I'm hopin for a repeat of that..

lol me and my friend was talking about this lol still remember marvin  catching like it was nothing

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Source: Freeney's ankle is worse than advertised[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on January 28, 2010 4:58 PM ET
Amid reports that Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney might not attend the Pro Bowlin order to obtain further treatment for his sprained ankle, a leaguesource tells us that Freeney definitely won't be going to the Pro Bowl,barring dramatic improvement of the injury.

Per the source, Freeney's ankle is worse than reported by the media. 

Freeney injured the ankle late in the AFC title game.

He missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday, according to the team's official practice report.
Link

Originally Posted by AF1 Beast

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

Originally Posted by TheCalculator

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

This is the Super Bowl where Peyton becomes the greatest QB ever.
Quote me
http://blog.oregonlive.co...2007/07/WalshMontana.JPG src="http://blog.oregonlive.com/sportsupdates/2007/07/WalshMontana.JPG">
laugh.gif

539w.jpg

GOAT 
pimp.gif

roll.gif
Tom Brady isn't the best QB playing in the league currently, let alone of all time.
Peyton Manning is the best QB of all time.
Yeah I said it.

yeah to be honest i remember back when the pats when the pats went 16-0 i argued with my best friend that peyton manning is still better then tom no matter what cause effing patriots need was a good qb and the completion was done peyton manning had to swicth and turn around the whole team himself i really dont care how much rings that tom has but im telling you guys peyton manning is catching

I hope Freeney and Bethea will be ready come Feb. 7

Hell I hope Bob Sanders and Marlin Jackson come back too...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by marmourjr

Originally Posted by RiverXBear

I respect LEGENDS word to Favre and manning

i HATE all these new found saints fans

this will be the only high light of yalls piss poor franchise .

End these lames and there new found stans lifes for another year.

and i hope reggie bush get his knees blowwwwwwwed out
laugh.gif
I must agree. Now everybody coming out the woodworks talking about they're Saints fans.
I've been down with them when they were losing. I've been waiting for this for 18 years...

SMH @ Lil' Wayne was rooting for the Vikings.  TRAITOR.  How you rep New Orleans one minute and then going for the opposing team?

He better not drop a Saints dedication song, either.
He's not dumb and you know he reps NO to the death. Only a fool would bet against Peyton Manning and the Colts right now.
laugh.gif
...like i been saying all season. They in a zone.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Saints will have a parade win or lose[/h1]
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 8:28 PM ET
Over the last few weeks, there have been various examples of how New Orleans is well, different.

Iwent to college there and can report it's an awesome sort ofdifferent.  Singular.  There isn't another place in the world like itand anyone that says otherwise hasn't spent time there or deservessympathy for being joyless.

It's only a small example, but the news that the city is planning a parade for the Saints win or lose says it all.

Theparade will go off on Tuesday, February 9 in the afternoon or evening,and will be coordinated Mardi Gras organizer Barry Kern and the mayor'soffice. 

The town is going to enjoy this moment in time, no matter how it ends.
How embarrassing. That's how you can tell the difference. A team that's just happy to be there vs. a team that means business.

Originally Posted by JPZx

[h1][/h1]
Over the last few weeks, there have been various examples of how New Orleans is well, different.

Iwent to college there and can report it's an awesome sort ofdifferent.  Singular.  There isn't another place in the world like itand anyone that says otherwise hasn't spent time there or deservessympathy for being joyless.

It's only a small example, but the news that the city is planning a parade for the Saints win or lose says it all.

Theparade will go off on Tuesday, February 9 in the afternoon or evening,and will be coordinated Mardi Gras organizer Barry Kern and the mayor'soffice. 

How embarrassing. That's how you can tell the difference. A team that's just happy to be there vs. a team that means business.

Mardi Gras is the week after the Super Bowl 
eyes.gif

Hurricane Katrina devastated the entire city 5 years ago 
eyes.gif

Your team went out and got a mercenary to lose in the conference championship, meanwhile in 9 days Drew Brees is gonna be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

This thread is no longer of concern to you, move to the Favre Watch thread.

Originally Posted by JPZx

[h1][/h1]

lol thats crazy

[h1]NFL says it has exclusive rights to 'Who Dat' [/h1][h4]By Jaquetta White, The Times-Picayune[/h4][h5]January 29, 2010, 9:30AM[/h5]
who-dat-behindjpg-815d129c3c587e1e_large.jpg
NewOrleans Saints fans attending a recent game party in St. Bernard seemto be showing the NFL what they think of its 'cease and desist' order.
Count the National Football League among the growing members of Who Dat Nation.After all, they own the phrase -- or so they say in cease and desistletters sent out to at least two local T-shirt retailers earlier thismonth.

In letters sent to Fleurty Girl and Storyville, the NFL ordered the retailers to stop selling a host of merchandise that it says violates state and federal trademarks held by the New Orleans Saints.

Among the long list of things the NFL saysis off-limits without a licensing agreement are some obvious violationslike the official logo of the Saints and the team's name. But the onethat stands out is "Who Dat."

Who knew?

The NFL, notinga 1988 trademark the Saints registered with the Louisiana secretary ofstate, says it has exclusive rights to the phrase and demands that theretailers stop selling it.

"I was surprised," Fleurty Girl owner Lauren Thom said. "I think everybody was."

Thom's shirts feature the phrase Who Dat written as one word withlowercase letters and preceded by a hash mark, a nod to the language ofthe social networking site Twitter. On Twitter, a hash mark followed bya word unifies all tweets on a specific topic. If a tweet, forinstance, includes #whodat, it joins other posts on a page generallyabout Saints topics on Twitter.

"It was designed to unify the Who Dat Nation, not within a tweet,but through a shirt," said Thom, who began selling the shirts in Auguston her Web site before opening a store on Oak Street two months ago.
The NFL also claims that several shirts at Storyville T-Shirts violate the NFL trademark,including a black shirt with the phrase Who Dat Nation, a name commonlyused to refer to Saints fans, and a black shirt that uses the term WhoDat along with the Roman numeral XLIV.
According to the letter, "any combination of design elements (evenif not the subject of a federal or state trademark registration), suchas team colors, roman numerals and other references to the Saints" arealso trademark violations.

That means that a black shirt featuring XLIV in gold letters, a representation of this year's Super Bowl, is off limits.

Bewilderment abounds

But it is the league's claim to "Who Dat" that has drawn the ire of locals and store owners and has puzzled trademark attorneys.

"Personally, I don't think anyone should be able to own 'Who Dat,'"said Josh Harvey, co-owner of Storyville. "It should belong to thepeople of the city of New Orleans."

Before it became a rallying cry of fans of the New Orleans Saints, Who Dat was used as a cheer by St. Augustine High School. And before that it was perhaps first heard in minstrel shows in the later 1800s.
By late afternoon Thursday, social media sites were plastered with status updates from Saints fans angered by the NFL's move.
One crafty Twitter user created a shirt mocking the NFL onthe Web site customink.com. In yellow lettering, the front of the blackshirt reads: "Who exactly is it that states they are going to defeatthe football team from New Orleans?" The back taunts: "Cease and desistthis."

Patrick Henry Barthel, who has gone by the nickname "Dat'' for muchof his life, including in his 2003 run for governor of Louisiana,struggled to understand how a corporation could claim to own a phraseit didn't create.

"In my opinion I don't see how you can take something that is NewOrleans, that has been around since I can remember and call it yourown," said Barthel, who half-jokingly worried that he might have tochange his name and made sure to emphasize the term dat in his speech."I'm Dat. That's my name. What's next? Are they going to tell me Ican't be Dat anymore? They don't own dat phrase, or dat language or datnation. It's not a phrase. It's a people. It's a community. It's theway we talk. For someone to say that dat language belongs to them,that's out the box."

Ron Swoboda, whose Monday night football show on WVUE is credited with introducing a Who Dat cheer to a large football audience in 1983, was equally puzzled.

"It amuses me because here you have a bunch of big powerful suits in the NFL andthey're just going to take these little people to court who might becoming out with a product here and a product there that they're notgoing to get rich off of," Swoboda said. "Who Dat is something thatcame from the people here and in this particular instance, I thinkthey're going to do a lot more public relations damage than they aregoing to do themselves monetary good."

Trademark ownership in dispute

Determining who, if anyone, has an exclusive right to the phrase mayprove to be just as difficult as figuring out its exact origins.

The New Orleans Louisiana Saints Limited Partnership registered themark "Who Dat" with the secretary of state's office in April 1988,claiming that it had first used the phrase in November 1983. There areno details about how the Saints first used the term on file with theoffice, because that information is not required for registration.

The following month, the Saints Limited Partnership registered themark "Who Dat" when used in conjunction with "fleur-de-lis design" withthe secretary of state's office. The combination of elements was firstused by the Saints organization on May 1, 1988, according to records,though again there is no specific example of such.

Both registrations are Class 35, which governs advertising and business.

However, Steve Monistere, according to records, registered thetrademark five years earlier, in 1983. Monistere recorded the Who Datthat appears over the song "When the Saints Go Marching In" at hisFirst Take studios in 1983 and created a company, Who Dat Inc., tomarket and sell the phrase on T-shirts soon after. According to theLouisiana secretary of state, Monistere requested a trademark on thephrase for use on records, tapes, T-shirts and bumper stickers. In hisrequest for registration Monistere claims to have first used the phrasein commerce on Oct. 14, 1983.

According to Monistere, that means he has exclusive rights to the term.

"My reaction was not surprise," Monistere said. "We totally expected it and it is typical of the way that the NFL does business."

Monistere's record is listed as inactive with the office, however, meaning that it was not renewed upon expiration.

According to local trademark experts, that doesn't mean that he nolonger retains exclusive rights to the phrase. A trademark is generallyassigned to the person who can show that they were first to use it incommerce, trademark experts said. But it will probably take a judge tosort out the true ownership of the phrase if, in fact, someone does ownit.

"It doesn't appear to me that the Saints can certainly claim thisterm. It became used by the fans and they started putting it onmerchandise before the Saints did," said Raymond Areaux, an adjunctprofessor of trademark and unfair competition law at Loyola University."Typically merchants pick a brand and they start putting it on theirmerchandise and they use it. That's not what happened here. Somehow itwas adopted by the fans and not by the Saints. It was a second decisionby the Saints and the question is 'Can they do this?'"

To prevail in a trademark infringement case, one has to show boththat the public associates a mark with your business and that you werethe first to use it, said David Patron, a partner at the law firm ofPhelps Dunbar.

"The issue with the NFL is primarily going to come down to do they have rights to this? Were they the first to use Who Dat in commerce," Patron said.

Monistere maintains that he was the first to use the phrase in commerce, on T-shirts sold in 1983.

"Before then no one had ever put Who Dat on a shirt," Monistere said. "That is what establishes the ownership of a trademark."

Back
Top Bottom