SUPER BOWL 50 Thread | Broncos win 3rd Lombardi | Von Miller MVP | Coldplay Kilt it |

Who you got?

• Broncos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panthers

• Dont eem care...just give me a good *** game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Without that fumble by Pittsburgh rookie we probably lose that game. Adding AB? I think we take that L but it don't matter cause we the champs
pimp.gif
Yeah that's what my comment meant.  Those hypotheticals are silly because for every break a team may have gotten they could have gotten a different break another way.  I dunno if the Steelers necessarily win because they have AB.  Who knows?  Do the Steelers win if AB doesn't take that hit from Burfict and get concussed?  You could argue probably not, so....

Broncos won and deserved the victory.

Hate how we murdered ourselves the first half of that Carolina game 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Stat wise to compare 01 Ravens to these Broncos is a copmliment to the Broncos. Ravens were a more aggressive defensive team. They didn't let the Giants get as much as the Panthers got

It's not being a prisoner of the moment to put this broncos defense side by side with the ravens and seahawks..

They're all in an elite class imo..

And for those that said Denver wasn't dominate start to finish I'll beg to differ... They were very much the best defense wire to wire.. Yesterday wasn't an anomaly ,it was what they did all year..

The playoff run vs the top 3 offenses in the NFL just caps it all off for me..

Gotta give credit where it's due folks, this defense absolutely belongs in that conversation..

By DVOA the top offenses this season were Cincy, Seattle, Pitt, Arizona, NE in that order /shrug

HE'S TALKING SCORING OFFENSES. 3 OF THE TOP 4. THIS DENVER D IS UP THERE WITH THE RAVENS.

1. BEARS
2. RAVENS
3. BRONCOS
4. SEAHAWKS

HE'S TALKING SCORING OFFENSES. 3 OF THE TOP 4. THIS DENVER D IS UP THERE WITH THE RAVENS.

1. BEARS
2. RAVENS
3. BRONCOS
4. SEAHAWKS
Okay but scoring offenses is a poor way to gauge offensive strength since it doesn't take turnovers and field position into account.

Also, shouldn't you then be thinking about scoring defenses?

The Broncos were not the top scoring defense this year.  The Seahawks were, for the 4th straight season.  Which is the first time that happened since 1957.   So....

Last edited:
Okay but scoring offenses is a poor way to gauge offensive strength since it doesn't take turnovers and field position into account.

Also, shouldn't you then be thinking about scoring defenses?

The Broncos were not the top scoring defense this year.  The Seahawks were, for the 4th straight season.  Which is the first time that happened since 1957.   So....

Seahawks' defense was definitely an all time great, I just think the Broncos have the upper hand. They don't "have" to play a base D all game. Seahawks have to go cover 3 or they somewhat struggle. Broncos also have a corner that matches up well with TE's (Aqib) and have arguably the top defensive pass rusher.

Seahawks' defense was definitely an all time great, I just think the Broncos have the upper hand. They don't "have" to play a base D all game. Seahawks have to go cover 3 or they somewhat struggle. Broncos also have a corner that matches up well with TE's (Aqib) and have arguably the top defensive pass rusher.
I have no idea what you mean.  The Seahawks play straight up defense because they have the talent to impose their will on opponents.  They have a 4 year record of success that's practically unmatched in the modern era.  The Broncos had a great playoff run and great first half of the season but they're really not comparable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/s...awks-defense-stands-out-even-across-eras.html

"In addition, while Seattle has allowed an average of 15.7 points per game over the last four years, only one other team since 2012 has allowed fewer than 20 points a game on average over that same period. That team, the Cincinnati Bengals, at 19.5, has still allowed nearly 4 more points per game than the Seahawks. In other words, what really distinguishes this Seattle team is how far ahead of the rest of the N.F.L. it has been in this statistic.

One way to measure this is by measuring the number of standard deviations from average. Over the last four years, Seattle has allowed 15.73 points a game, relative to the league average of 22.89. The standard deviation in points allowed by the league’s 32 teams over this period has been 2.62 points per game. This means Seattle, which has been over 7 points a game better than average, has been 2.73 standard deviations better than average, a statistic known as a Z-score.

As it turns out, that makes Seattle the most successful team in preventing points over a four-year run since 1950."

Well the Broncos defense carried a bigger burden.

The Seahawks offense helps keep the Seahawks defense fresh.

Last edited:
2015 Broncos are one of the few teams I have seen win a Super Bowl in 25+ years without a real offense. The Ravens are the other team that comes to mind.

We can toss around stats all day, but what convinces me is how excruciating it was to watch Denver on offense all season. Our only hope of winning most weeks (much of the regular season and the entire post-season) was the defense.

I don't know how to quantify that. That said, I would still love to see the numbers. 538 has an article about how Peyton was the worst Super Bowl QB ever, which is even worse in the modern-era because teams are so pass-dependent.

One more observation -- there is a little bit of extra pressure and adrenaline in a Super Bowl. Enough that I think it favorably helps defenders while throwing off skill players, especially QBs, who have to rely on timing and precision. It's minor but it is probably a little bit of why defense wins championships.

This fool Phil Simms said he was throwing the ball too hard :x

I must be a fool with Simms than :wow: because I think he had a few overthrows due to speed/strength.
He said it when Cam threw a perfect pass but the ball went through the receivers hands. It was 20+ yards downfield too. If you can't catch that you shouldn't be in the NFL.

2015 Broncos are one of the few teams I have seen win a Super Bowl in 25+ years without a real offense. The Ravens are the other team that comes to mind.

We can toss around stats all day, but what convinces me is how excruciating it was to watch Denver on offense all season. Our only hope of winning most weeks (much of the regular season and the entire post-season) was the defense.

I don't know how to quantify that. That said, I would still love to see the numbers. 538 has an article about how Peyton was the worst Super Bowl QB ever, which is even worse in the modern-era because teams are so pass-dependent.

One more observation -- there is a little bit of extra pressure and adrenaline in a Super Bowl. Enough that I think it favorably helps defenders while throwing off skill players, especially QBs, who have to rely on timing and precision. It's minor but it is probably a little bit of why defense wins championships.
He said it when Cam threw a perfect pass but the ball went through the receivers hands. It was 20+ yards downfield too. If you can't catch that you shouldn't be in the NFL.
about time Payton got carried. Dude has been doing the carrying all his career.

^ True. I hope people go back and watch some of his old games to see just how different things were.

It reminds me a bit of how Elway was able to be carried by his team in his final 2 seasons. Also, keep in mind that Elway was a couple years younger than Peyton when he won his Super Bowls. Peyton 2 years ago (at the age Elway won his Super Bowls) was still good enough to have the greatest QB season ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom