Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

I know that for mass, you should lift heavy in a rep range of 6-10...

Does this apply to legs as well?

The exercises I'm referring to specifically are legs extensions and leg curls.
NO. Leg extensions and leg curls are not going to build mass, and I don't think it's safe to go really heavy on either, especially on legextensions. You would have to be going really heavy on these to reach failure at 6-10 reps, and you'll just be straining your knees.

In all honesty, your legs need a little more in terms of reps and volume than your other large muscle groups. It varies from person to person, but most ofyour sets for legs should be between 8-15 reps with a last set of 6-8 for squats, leg presses, and romanian deadlifts. I typically use leg extensions as awarmup for about 3 sets of 20 reps, and then sometimes again as a finisher with leg curls for 3 sets of 15 to 20 of each.

Update....Strength keeps going up

80lbs extensions
89d15bec7917a7e8904de88e50ad3e46e79477b.jpg

Will try 100lb extensions soon
My man, you're gonna tear a tricep, seriously. I'm sure you have totalcontrol of those weights, but I've heard too many horror stories of guys tearing a tricep doing EXACTLY what you're doing, going heavy as all hell onsingle arm overheads. You're much better off going heavy on two-handed overheads and then supersetting light single-arms for like 15-20 reps each arm. Your tri's are already huge, just dip and press and keep detailing them with the single joint stuff. I try not to get too preachy in this thread or at myjob unless I think somebody's at risk.

Rippetoes has me plateaued and im looking for a routine to build up on my new improved strenth whilst bulking up.

Only thing im getting the impression the workout routine forum on BB.com=the jordan forum here. No useful info just bickering

and reaching for lulz. Anyone know of some good routines or places to find them other than BB.com?

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

80lbs extensions

My man, you're gonna tear a tricep, seriously. I'm sure you have total control of those weights, but I've heard too many horror stories of guys tearing a tricep doing EXACTLY what you're doing, going heavy as all hell on single arm overheads. You're much better off going heavy on two-handed overheads and then supersetting light single-arms for like 15-20 reps each arm. Your tri's are already huge, just dip and press and keep detailing them with the single joint stuff. I try not to get too preachy in this thread or at my job unless I think somebody's at risk.

Yeah i agree with u, but then again each persons body is different.---- But ICE u look crazy, Keep up the good work just dont over do it

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Rippetoes has me plateaued and im looking for a routine to build up on my new improved strenth whilst bulking up.

Only thing im getting the impression the workout routine forum on BB.com=the jordan forum here. No useful info just bickering

and reaching for lulz. Anyone know of some good routines or places to find them other than BB.com?

T-Nation.com has an abundance of information.

80lbs extensions

My man, you're gonna tear a tricep, seriously. I'm sure you have total control of those weights, but I've heard too many horror stories of guys tearing a tricep doing EXACTLY what you're doing, going heavy as all hell on single arm overheads. You're much better off going heavy on two-handed overheads and then supersetting light single-arms for like 15-20 reps each arm. Your tri's are already huge, just dip and press and keep detailing them with the single joint stuff. I try not to get too preachy in this thread or at my job unless I think somebody's at risk.

Thanks for your concern but im straight. Please dont take me for a novice...

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

80lbs extensions

laugh.gif

welcome back

good ol' IICE

dont jinx yourself

Originally Posted by upnorth

Originally Posted by miamib30514

T-Nation.com has an abundance of information.
thanks

Nothing about being a novice or anything. I'm talking about seasoned pro bodybuilders who have torn their tricep and now only go as heavy as25-30 lbs. But whatever, they're your arms...

Nothing about being a novice or anything. I'm talking about seasoned pro bodybuilders who have torn their tricep and now only go as heavy as 25-30 lbs. But whatever, they're your arms...

panarican is speaking truth though. i do that exercise also but yea no more than 45lbs.....

everybody knows their body best as i always say though.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by I3

Whats better for strength - or for a basketball player

I.E. Squats 3x10 (challenging weight but quality over quantity)

or

Squats 3x10 (light weight) x8 (moderate) x 6 (heavy)

.. would it be ideal to train every muscle group this way (dropsets) or would a 3x10/4x10/5x10 with a comfortable weight suffice and then mix in a dropset/failure every once in awhile to spice them thangs up?
Unless you're training for looks or secondary exercises you should go heavy.
If you're training for sport you need to do heavy squats. You're looking for strentgh and speed and you increase those traits by consistently placing more and more stress on your body.
i agree. go with the heavy sets to recruit the most fibers at one time. playing ball should be enough to get that light work in from jumping,changing direction, etc. plyometrics will help you better utilize your strength gains.

Nothing about being a novice or anything. I'm talking about seasoned pro bodybuilders who have torn their tricep and now only go as heavy as 25-30 lbs. But whatever, they're your arms...
I get what your saying...but what is "heavy"?.....Heavy is relative. A person can tear a tri with 45lbs but be light weight for thenext person.
Personal example. I dislocated my shoulder doing 50lb dumbell shoulder presses a few years back....it was "heavy" back then, but now I warm up withit....

No matter how heavy the weight, we can all agree that injury is a possibility.

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

Originally Posted by Al Audi
PPL still doing end of the month progress pics???

yea, even though sept was kinda flaky

I just ordered some Professional Supplements Pure Karbolyn 4.4lbs Unflavored.

all ive heard was good things about it, cant wait to try it out.

For the last 3-4 days I've been feeling somewhat kinda lazy when I wake up. I guess it's the colder weather. It takes about 5 mins on YouTube lookingat NBA workouts to amp myself up for the gym.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Yes but you really need to do squats to get good leg growth, and deadlifts for hamstring development.
Totally agree with u, focus on squating and deadlifts

Correct me if im wrong but for mass u should be doing 3-6 Max
NO. Leg extensions and leg curls are not going to build mass, and I don't think it's safe to go really heavy on either, especially on leg extensions. You would have to be going really heavy on these to reach failure at 6-10 reps, and you'll just be straining your knees.

In all honesty, your legs need a little more in terms of reps and volume than your other large muscle groups. It varies from person to person, but most of your sets for legs should be between 8-15 reps with a last set of 6-8 for squats, leg presses, and romanian deadlifts. I typically use leg extensions as a warmup for about 3 sets of 20 reps, and then sometimes again as a finisher with leg curls for 3 sets of 15 to 20 of each.

Squats and leg presses are a no go for me, since I workout at home.

Are dumbbell squats effective at all?

I do deadlifts though, but I've been doing 3 sets of 6,8, and 10 reps. I guess I need to lower my reps a little...

Dumbbell Squats are fine, but alternate between holding the dumbbells at your sides and holding one or both dumbells up near your upper chest and doing frontsquats. Lunges are also a great addition to your routine. How heavy are the dumbbells you have?

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Yes but you really need to do squats to get good leg growth, and deadlifts for hamstring development.
Totally agree with u, focus on squating and deadlifts

Correct me if im wrong but for mass u should be doing 3-6 Max
NO. Leg extensions and leg curls are not going to build mass, and I don't think it's safe to go really heavy on either, especially on leg extensions. You would have to be going really heavy on these to reach failure at 6-10 reps, and you'll just be straining your knees.

In all honesty, your legs need a little more in terms of reps and volume than your other large muscle groups. It varies from person to person, but most of your sets for legs should be between 8-15 reps with a last set of 6-8 for squats, leg presses, and romanian deadlifts. I typically use leg extensions as a warmup for about 3 sets of 20 reps, and then sometimes again as a finisher with leg curls for 3 sets of 15 to 20 of each.
Squats and leg presses are a no go for me, since I workout at home.

Are dumbbell squats effective at all?

I do deadlifts though, but I've been doing 3 sets of 6,8, and 10 reps. I guess I need to lower my reps a little...

Dumbbell presses are fine. You can also look at doing dumbbell lunges. Just do them in the same spot (lunging forward and/or backward) if you don't haveenough space to "walk" with them.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by I3

or

.. would it be ideal to train every muscle group this way (dropsets) or would a 3x10/4x10/5x10 with a comfortable weight suffice and then mix in a dropset/failure every once in awhile to spice them thangs up?
If you're training for sport you need to do heavy squats. You're looking for strentgh and speed and you increase those traits by consistently placing more and more stress on your body.
i agree. go with the heavy sets to recruit the most fibers at one time. playing ball should be enough to get that light work in from jumping, changing direction, etc. plyometrics will help you better utilize your strength gains.

Thanks for the heads up.. so basically just go heavy and stick consistent with reps and sets - increasing the weight when I can?

Another thing, do you have any good sources or articles on Plyos? I've been doing the P90x plyometrics programme, but im getting used to it, the only thingI can do to get more out of it is possibly concentrate more on technique more. Is it possible to do Plyos with weights? That would be my worst nightmare...

I'll def throw dumbbell squats into my routine then.

I've always hated lunges for some reason. I tried them out a while back, then I just stopped doing them.

And I have adjustable dumbbells where you add the plates to them.

And thanks for the help everyone.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

or

i agree. go with the heavy sets to recruit the most fibers at one time. playing ball should be enough to get that light work in from jumping, changing direction, etc. plyometrics will help you better utilize your strength gains.
Thanks for the heads up.. so basically just go heavy and stick consistent with reps and sets - increasing the weight when I can?

Another thing, do you have any good sources or articles on Plyos? I've been doing the P90x plyometrics programme, but im getting used to it, the only thing I can do to get more out of it is possibly concentrate more on technique more. Is it possible to do Plyos with weights? That would be my worst nightmare...
yea since your goal is to gain strength, you can just go heavy and increase poundage steadily until you plateau. no real need to deviate fromthat until you get stuck. lighter weight will help you with strength endurance if you do high reps, but that should come anyway with conditioning.

i never considered the p90x "plyos" real plyos... not to say they don't work, but for athletics you want to doing low volume, high quality plyos. from a performance standpoint, you shouldn't overload on plyometrics because the emphasis is on the speed of execution, maximalexplosiveness/reactiveness. once you get fatigued, it becomes a conditioning exercise, so ideally you should be doing these right after your warmup, and notat the end of a workout. if you perform plyos slow, it's turns into cardio. plyo routines should be short, with lots of rest inbetween reps and sets. you should come away from it not feeling like you did a whole lot really.

plyos with weights are possible, but if anything very minimal weights. think medicine balls type of weights. what's good about med balls is theytranslate to better coordination. a weight vest would work also, just as long as it isn't heavy enough to slow you down. the key here to train forgreater and faster muscle fiber recruitment as well as reactiveness. i'd say it's better to keep the weighted exercises separate from plyos. you cando clean & jerk, snatch, jump squats, etc. after a plyo session... high weight, low reps. i like one arm dumbbell snatches
smokin.gif

for basketball, the main plyo exercises i'd focus on for jumping are box jumps (jumping off a box and rebounding as quickly as possible into a max effortjump) and altitude drops/drop jumps (jumping down off a box and landing silently with as little movement upon ground contact as possible). set your box jumpheight about where your rebound jump is highest, and then increase the box height as you improve; you can probably use the same height for altitude drops. there are a few random plyo-type exercises that also have some benefits (like jumping side to side or front to back consecutively as many times as possible ina short interval (10-20sec).

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

or

Another thing, do you have any good sources or articles on Plyos? I've been doing the P90x plyometrics programme, but im getting used to it, the only thing I can do to get more out of it is possibly concentrate more on technique more. Is it possible to do Plyos with weights? That would be my worst nightmare...
yea since your goal is to gain strength, you can just go heavy and increase poundage steadily until you plateau. no real need to deviate from that until you get stuck. lighter weight will help you with strength endurance if you do high reps, but that should come anyway with conditioning.

i never considered the p90x "plyos" real plyos... not to say they don't work, but for athletics you want to doing low volume, high quality plyos. from a performance standpoint, you shouldn't overload on plyometrics because the emphasis is on the speed of execution, maximal explosiveness/reactiveness. once you get fatigued, it becomes a conditioning exercise, so ideally you should be doing these right after your warmup, and not at the end of a workout. if you perform plyos slow, it's turns into cardio. plyo routines should be short, with lots of rest inbetween reps and sets. you should come away from it not feeling like you did a whole lot really.

plyos with weights are possible, but if anything very minimal weights. think medicine balls type of weights. what's good about med balls is they translate to better coordination. a weight vest would work also, just as long as it isn't heavy enough to slow you down. the key here to train for greater and faster muscle fiber recruitment as well as reactiveness. i'd say it's better to keep the weighted exercises separate from plyos. you can do clean & jerk, snatch, jump squats, etc. after a plyo session... high weight, low reps. i like one arm dumbbell snatches
smokin.gif

for basketball, the main plyo exercises i'd focus on for jumping are box jumps (jumping off a box and rebounding as quickly as possible into a max effort jump) and altitude drops/drop jumps (jumping down off a box and landing silently with as little movement upon ground contact as possible). set your box jump height about where your rebound jump is highest, and then increase the box height as you improve; you can probably use the same height for altitude drops. there are a few random plyo-type exercises that also have some benefits (like jumping side to side or front to back consecutively as many times as possible in a short interval (10-20sec).

Awesome read man.

I have the VJB - do you think thats a great place to start?

I did the P90x - as it was part of the package, and i've got some good results (more good than harm) - but yeah like anything im already used to theroutine, ive just finished P90x, so im in the midst of writing up my gym programme at the moment, as well as starting a mild slowbulk. I feel I once im eatingslightly over maintenance most of my lifts should increase, because i've found it hard to really push my lifts in a deficit.

I would consider my vert pretty solid, I can probably dunk 1 in every 10 goes, but theres always room for improvement. I like the leg weights earlier in theweek then plyos later in the week.

Anybody want to recommend some good supp/vitamin vendors?
I'm getting ready to stock up again and, like everyone, I'd like to find the best prices.

for a multi there's only one choice- AOR Ortho-Core...it'll run you about $45

for separate vitamins go to iherb.com, great range of quality products

Back
Top Bottom