Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

One thing I have learned is that large doses of protein post-workout are not necessary. I used to always take 2 scoops whey protein with water, juice, orgatorade, factoring in the gatorade as a fast-digesting carb for an insulin spike, but I noticed that half the time, I wasn't absorbing it all and it wasjust making me sick. I've recently been trying different supplements, and I found that I had the best recovery when I would take a smaller dose ofpost-workout protein and a better fast-digesting carb like vitargo or dextrose, then have a solid meal as soon as I got home. Much quicker recovery, whichmeant I could train that muscle again sooner. I did heavy squats last monday, which usually means I can't do deadlifts if I train back the day after, but Ifelt fine and pulled my heaviest deadlift for reps the day after doing my heaviest squat. Difference was I took a more carb/creatine based post-workoutsupplement with a smaller dose of protein and then went home and had about 7 egg-whites on Monday. Tuesday I drank NO Synthesize during my workout and Vitargopost-workout and then had a meal not long afterwards.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Protein isn't as important as fuel, especially when bulking. Your body needs fuel to actually break down the proteins into amino acids and use them for muscle. I've heard of people going dangerously high protein for cutting, but not for bulking. Your body doesn't need more than 20% of it's carlories from protein. Even if you're a pro bodybuilder it's not needed. Training > Nutrition if you want gains, train hard. As long as you don't eat crap food consistently, you'll be alright.
The more I learn, the more I realize that this protein craze just a load of crap.
Not true. Protein IS needed for cellular recovery. However, how much is needed is what's debatable. It's all about absorption. Some people can metabolize more proteins than others, while others can simply get by on complex carbs. You have to figure out what's best for you.
Definitely. Protein is necessary, but insanely high amounts, like 40% of your daily caloric intake, are not necessary or natural. There's no way you'd come close to that figure without supplementing, which isn't necessary. It places unnecessary stress on your kidneys, just for what, looks? If you value looks over health, so be it.

Originally Posted by cor23ey

I've been hearing lately that dairy products (even milk) aren't meant/good for our stomachs.

It's all been marketing and they aren't as good for us as we all think...

"Why would you drink something designed to feed a newborn calf? We're not cows."

Anyone know if this is true?
If you think about it, who is cow's milk made for? The newborn calf. People rave about milk, but then complain about it being fattening and such. Cow's milk is meant for calves to grow to 600 + lbs.

There isn't a single nutrient in milk that you can't get from plant-based sources. Vitamin B-12 is found in sea vegetables such as Chlorella, which also have numerous other good qualities.
Calcium is rich in collard greens, which are also chlorophyll rich.
The amount of essential amino acids in milk isn't as high as it's protein count, so that somewhat negates that argument. If you like milk, sure, drink it, but don't drink it for it's protein content.

edit: check this link out
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

And yeah, most of the nutrition information that's mainstream today is outdated and controlled by the corporations. If you want real info, you've got to dig deep for it. If anyone's curious, look into some reading, like The Food Revolution or The China Study.
i say dairy is bad

but not inherently.....it's only bad because of how poor the healthy of the dairy cows whose milke we drink are in

we can digest milk for a reason..........humans did not all start with this ability, but those who could had an evolutionary advantage over those whocouldn't.

Been using dark matter for two weeks now as my post workout drink and I love it. I feel it's helped so much as far as my recovery rate.(I was usingcytogainer before)

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Protein isn't as important as fuel, especially when bulking. Your body needs fuel to actually break down the proteins into amino acids and use them for muscle. I've heard of people going dangerously high protein for cutting, but not for bulking. Your body doesn't need more than 20% of it's carlories from protein. Even if you're a pro bodybuilder it's not needed. Training > Nutrition if you want gains, train hard. As long as you don't eat crap food consistently, you'll be alright.
The more I learn, the more I realize that this protein craze just a load of crap.
Not true. Protein IS needed for cellular recovery. However, how much is needed is what's debatable. It's all about absorption. Some people can metabolize more proteins than others, while others can simply get by on complex carbs. You have to figure out what's best for you.
Definitely. Protein is necessary, but insanely high amounts, like 40% of your daily caloric intake, are not necessary or natural. There's no way you'd come close to that figure without supplementing, which isn't necessary. It places unnecessary stress on your kidneys, just for what, looks? If you value looks over health, so be it.

I've been hearing lately that dairy products (even milk) aren't meant/good for our stomachs.

"Why would you drink something designed to feed a newborn calf? We're not cows."

If you think about it, who is cow's milk made for? The newborn calf. People rave about milk, but then complain about it being fattening and such. Cow's milk is meant for calves to grow to 600 + lbs.

There isn't a single nutrient in milk that you can't get from plant-based sources. Vitamin B-12 is found in sea vegetables such as Chlorella, which also have numerous other good qualities.
Calcium is rich in collard greens, which are also chlorophyll rich.
The amount of essential amino acids in milk isn't as high as it's protein count, so that somewhat negates that argument. If you like milk, sure, drink it, but don't drink it for it's protein content.

edit: check this link out
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

And yeah, most of the nutrition information that's mainstream today is outdated and controlled by the corporations. If you want real info, you've got to dig deep for it. If anyone's curious, look into some reading, like The Food Revolution or The China Study.
See, in regard to ingesting milk, you must also bring geographical/dietary availability into the question. In certain parts of Europe, veggieslike collards aren't available. This is when foods like whole milk is completely necessary to the athlete/fitness enthusiast.

Remember everyone, working out and dieting plays a huge role. But so does sleep. If you are hitting the weights hard in the early half of the day and in thelatter half going drinking/smoking/staying up late you won't get the results you deserve. Edit: also, has any one dealt with a strained wrist before?Sprained mine July 4th, it's still not fully healed. I'm used to playing basketball and working out at least 5 days a week. I've been rehabbing itmyself and it gets sore after I do that. I feel the adhesions breaking off and what not. It does feel a lot more free and movable now though. Any goodexercises to strengthen it?

I havent experimented much with protein, i've been following the 1g/lb so far and its been great. I find it hard to keep my protein count down as well..

Originally Posted by FrankReynolds420

Remember everyone, working out and dieting plays a huge role. But so does sleep. If you are hitting the weights hard in the early half of the day and in the latter half going drinking/smoking/staying up late you won't get the results you deserve. Edit: also, has any one dealt with a strained wrist before? Sprained mine July 4th, it's still not fully healed. I'm used to playing basketball and working out at least 5 days a week. I've been rehabbing it myself and it gets sore after I do that. I feel the adhesions breaking off and what not. It does feel a lot more free and movable now though. Any good exercises to strengthen it?
http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/education/protocols/basicwristelbow.php

i've been lucky to avoid wrist injury....but i definitely started with weak wrists, db incline bench was always tough on those last reps, i'd have ahard time keeping the weights balance/upright because of my wrists.

I've been snacking on a mix of cranberries/raw almonds/raisins lately. And just one scoop (I use a scoop from an old whey protein bottle, suppose to be25g) keeps me full for a couple of hours.

I weighed myself and I now weigh 168! I was trying to keep myself at 160. (5'9" btw)

Last time I weighed myself was a little under a month ago, and I was 160 then. That's 8 pounds!

My lifts have improved... And I don't feel "unhealthy". My metabolism has always been good. I've been keeping up with the good diet, eventhough I have been cutting down on cardio to 2-3x a week... But what's up with that?

8 pounds!? That can't be all muscle.

I'm disappointed. LOL

(I apologize for the noob tantrum)

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I weighed myself and I now weigh 168! I was trying to keep myself at 160. (5'9" btw)

Last time I weighed myself was a little under a month ago, and I was 160 then. That's 8 pounds!

My lifts have improved... And I don't feel "unhealthy". My metabolism has always been good. I've been keeping up with the good diet, even though I have been cutting down on cardio to 2-3x a week... But what's up with that?

I'm disappointed. LOL

You need to weight yourself at the same time for a comparable number. For example, I weigh myself every Saturday morning right after I wake upand after I use the bathroom.

And no, you can't gain 8 lbs of muscle in a month. The rate ranges from .5-2.5 lbs a month. Most people are just happy with 1 lb/month (assuming you gothe natural route and don't use the likes of steroid).

Originally Posted by Durden7

How many shakes a day do you consume?

Usually 1-2, most likely before and after training or when im on the go and don't have wholefood sources of protein. I eat a lot of PB and nuts for fats,as well as chicken breats and fish steaks - those are the main sources of protein. If I reduce the proportions i'll be in a severe caloric deficit. Imaround 180g a day and I weigh in at 138-140. So an extra 40g surely won't kill me..

Fats are around 60-70g and carbs fill the rest - but usually get higher when I have heavier/longer training days/games.

^^ Thanks wj4. I guess I'll weigh myself more consistently at the same times.

I'm probably "bulking", but I don't feel the need to. Guess I need to step up the cardio.

It could be water weight too... But 8 pounds is still a lot.
embarassed.gif

Thanks again.

Brad Pilon said it best; protein guilt. People are so mesmerized by protein thanks to supplement companies, that they inherently hinder themselves from achieving their goals. They eat too much protein, especially animal proteins. I'm not saying drop meat, dairy or eggs, but cycle your protein sources. If you drink milk everyday, you'll develop slight lactose intolerance eventually.
Monday Night - You don't need the shakes. Eat some fruit or make a smoothie or something. Protein shakes are almost unnecessary, with very few exceptions.

Fat sources usually have higher protein contents than carbohydrate-rich foods. 1/4 cup of almonds has more protein than 1/4 cup of berries. Carbs aren't horrible, but if you want to avoid any carbs, avoid grains.
I've heard fruit is great for losing weight, only on a raw foods diet though. People complain about losing too much weight, so it may be bad. I'm interested though.
Not drinking milk makes you more likely to become lactose intolerant than drinking milk daily

1-2 shakes a day

1 def right after workout

the 2nd one i sometimes skip, or ill take it around noon, and workout at night

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

My lifts have improved... And I don't feel "unhealthy". My metabolism has always been good. I've been keeping up with the good diet, even though I have been cutting down on cardio to 2-3x a week... But what's up with that?

I'm disappointed. LOL

You need to weight yourself at the same time for a comparable number. For example, I weigh myself every Saturday morning right after I wake up and after I use the bathroom.

And no, you can't gain 8 lbs of muscle in a month. The rate ranges from .5-2.5 lbs a month. Most people are just happy with 1 lb/month (assuming you go the natural route and don't use the likes of steroid).
yup....and even then your weight can fluctuate a few lbs either way depending on various factors.

don't read too much into what your scale tells you, especially not on a day-to-day basis.

Found this off BB.com

Protein has a 57% energy conversion rate, 1000 calories of protein will only yield 570 calories, in my opinion you could safely say that protein = 2 calories per gram. This is a key reason why all of these high protein low carbohydrate diets result in greater fat loss. 1000 calories of carbohydrate will yield 910-985 calories (depending upon type). For example consider the 2 following examples, forget about fat intake for the time being.

- 100 grams P, 400 grams C = 2000 calories according to conventional idea
- 400 grams P, 100 grams C = 2000 calories according to conventional idea

Let's break it down, for simplicity let's assume protein yields 2 calories per gram (50% efficiency) and carbohydrate yields 4 calories per gram (100% efficiency). Example 1 will result in a net calorie intake of 1800 calories (200 P and 1600 C). Example 2 will result in a net calorie intake of 1200 calories (800 P and 400 C). Remember that protein has a 50% energy conversion otherwise the numbers will not make any sesne.

As you can see this will greatly influence fat loss results assuming "equal" calories, although calories may appear equal on paper, in reality the high protein diet has 33% less net calories comapred to the high carbohydrate diet.

The reasons why high protein low carb diets result in better fat loss and lean tissue maintenance are due to the following,

- Lower overall net calorie balance (more fat loss)
- Reduced lean tissue catabolism (increased protein sparing due to a higher protein intake).

Well its been a long road i started at 305 now im at 250 need to lose 10 more pounds and ill be kind of ripped (less then 12% body fat)

but i can always take some advice

Meal plan

morning
Weight control oatmeal

snack
Fiber bar and fruit

meal 2
Egg whites with vegs

snack
Protein shack and kashi bar

meal 3
Chicken breast, vegs and extra lean ground beef

Protein shake

before bed green tea

also my work outs

Monday- Chest / uppers back plus 20 mins of cardio
Tuesday- Abs routine/arms plus 30 mins of cardio
Wednesday- legs plus 20 mins of cardio
Thrusday- abs plus 30 mins of cardio
Friday- Shoulders/lower back 20 mins of cardio
Saturday- Abs plus 30 mins of cardio
Sunday- rest

Just started that routine, will be on it till december then ill which to something else

and Cardio consist of either
Riding the bike
Skipping
kickboxing
stair climbing

Someone recommend a good brand no salt trail mix, raisins, nuts, dry cranberries, almonds... I'm trying to eat lean and need a snack in between meals

milksucks.com

or some website like that had me disgusted..................i was off dairy for a LONG TIME

real talk im on an off with dairy and red meat.
grin.gif

11% and under is considered very lean for a male. So yea Ape at 250lbs less than 12% what advice do you need? You must be jacked, how tall are you? O yea did Imention you must be jacked?!

Back
Top Bottom