Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

I have a slight problem...

I have scoliosis, and my spine is bent enough (S shape, 17 degrees at my lower back, 20 degrees in the opposite direction for my upper back) so that I have been urged to not squat, deadlift, powerclean, etc. I essentially can't do anything which puts any sort of stress on the back. Even with squatting, with which proper form, can have low impact on the back... it's not worth the risk really.

Basically my question is, what exercises can I do which have similar compound qualities, but put little to no stress on the back?

To be completely honest I wouldn't heed Dr.'s advice on this 100%.
They just spout general advice when it comes to your condition. However, every individual anatomy is different. There are plenty of people who did what many said they couldn't/shouldn't do. Especially when it comes to medical advice.

I'm not advising you to aim to lift "big" weight. On the other hand, I do think you should at least try to work deadlifts/squats starting with dumbells. That will be better for your asymmetrical condition.
Who knows, they may even improve the drawbacks associated with your condition.

I don't know what gym you go to but technique/form will be especially important for you. Is there an Olympic lifting training facility near you with a coach? If not, maybe there is someone at your gym who is trustworthy when it comes to technique /form?
No, my gym is !+!$. See I live in Rio, the only decent gym around here (Body Tech) is 125+ dollars (US) a month
sick.gif
Even my gym is about 50-60 dollars a month... Also, no one at my deadlifts (I don't even think we have a big enough bar) and I'm the only guy I'veever seen squatting. + I had to squat on a rack. Does using a rack put significantly less stress on the back? I would think so.

Any chance you can explain squatting and dead lifting with dumbbells? I think the problem with this wouldbe the biggest dumbbells at my gym are a whopping 50pounds.

indifferent.gif
at my gym.

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

If those dudes lifts were around 200lb then they're def. impressive. When I trained in college one of my training partners/friends was a 200lber.
His lifts (barring bicep curl and BB row; never seen him max out on those) were a bit higher than this kid's but he was def. one of the stronger 200lbers (excluding elite olympic lifters).

Anyone know how tall he is? Prob. around my height. He looks funny though. Us smaller dudes aren't meant to carry around that much weight.
laugh.gif

I already feel that I'm big enough for my height at 185.
???....who
The 21yr old kid you posted pictures of.

Yo Audi....is these one of the guys you talking about throwin up more weight than me????
laugh.gif
lmao.

Even before I watched the vid I wanted to write "Neck Pad= can't be taken seriously" but I thought maybe I was just being unfair/stupid.

Lo and behold.........
laugh.gif

I have scoliosis, and my spine is bent enough (S shape, 17 degrees at my lower back, 20 degrees in the opposite direction for my upper back) so that I have been urged to not squat, deadlift, powerclean, etc. I essentially can't do anything which puts any sort of stress on the back. Even with squatting, with which proper form, can have low impact on the back... it's not worth the risk really.

Basically my question is, what exercises can I do which have similar compound qualities, but put little to no stress on the back?

They just spout general advice when it comes to your condition. However, every individual anatomy is different. There are plenty of people who did what many said they couldn't/shouldn't do. Especially when it comes to medical advice.

I'm not advising you to aim to lift "big" weight. On the other hand, I do think you should at least try to work deadlifts/squats starting with dumbells. That will be better for your asymmetrical condition.

I don't know what gym you go to but technique/form will be especially important for you. Is there an Olympic lifting training facility near you with a coach? If not, maybe there is someone at your gym who is trustworthy when it comes to technique /form?
No, my gym is !+!$. See I live in Rio, the only decent gym around here (Body Tech) is 125+ dollars (US) a month
sick.gif
Even my gym is about 50-60 dollars a month... Also, no one at my deadlifts (I don't even think we have a big enough bar) and I'm the only guy I've ever seen squatting. + I had to squat on a rack. Does using a rack put significantly less stress on the back? I would think so.

Any chance you can explain squatting and dead lifting with dumbbells? I think the problem with this wouldbe the biggest dumbbells at my gym are a whopping 50 pounds.

indifferent.gif
at my gym.
Sucks. How do they get away with cahrging 60 USD/month?

A rack as in a smith machine? If so, than that would put undue stress on your spine because it restricts natural postural movement which is unique for everyindividual. In other words, no two individuals move in the exact same way during exercises because of limb length/body proportion.

Using dumbells would be the same as using a bar but since scoliosis is basically antisymmetry of the spine dumbbells would aid in the symmetry (strength wise)of the muscle that work in conjunction with the spine on either side of the body.

In every person, one side is always stronger than another. For me, it's my left side, even though I'm right handed.
Barbells tend to promote/enhance muscular imbalances while dumbbells tend to narrow that range.

Yo Audi....is these one of the guys you talking about throwin up more weight than me????
laugh.gif
lmao.

Even before I watched the vid I wanted to write "Neck Pad= can't be taken seriously" but I thought maybe I was just being unfair/stupid.

Lo and behold.........
laugh.gif
Makes me hurt watchn it....His form is so bad...his feet arent placed equaly to each other (asking for injury)....and his knees
eek.gif
...looks like they're gonna pop
laugh.gif

sick.gif
Even my gym is about 50-60 dollars a month... Also, no one at my deadlifts (I don't even think we have a big enough bar) and I'm the only guy I've ever seen squatting. + I had to squat on a rack. Does using a rack put significantly less stress on the back? I would think so.

Any chance you can explain squatting and dead lifting with dumbbells? I think the problem with this wouldbe the biggest dumbbells at my gym are a whopping 50 pounds.

indifferent.gif
at my gym.

A rack as in a smith machine? If so, than that would put undue stress on your spine because it restricts natural posture which is unique for every individual. In other words, no two individuals move in the exact same way during exercises because of limb length/body proportion.

Using dumbells would be the same as using a bar but since scoliosis is basically antisymmetry of the spine dumbbells would aid in the symmetry (strength wise) of the muscle that work in conjunction with the spine on either side of the body.

In every person, one side is always stronger than another. For me, it's my left side, even though I'm right handed.
Barbells tend to promote/enhance imblances while dumbells tend to narrow that range.
As far as the price: All the gyms here basically suck. And contrary to the USA, people here who pay for a gym ALWAYS go. In the USA the whole ideais to get a whole bunch of people caught up in long +!% contracts 90% of people won't even stick to. Here... not so much. Gyms are picking up in São Pauloapparently, but a good decent gym here is near impossible. There IS one I know of, but it's too far away from home for someone who doesn't drive, plusat the hours I go to the gym... the streets ain't all that safe.

I did mean the rack machine, I put my feet out in front of me... because that's what I was told to do, is that ******ed advice? I would think the rackwould be good because it ensures shortest distance moved.

I understand WHY you'd use dumbbells, I'm asking more in terms of form... more specifically for the dead lift. I actually train exclusively withdumbbells for the same reasons you mentioned, but it gets really tedious cuz I'm having to strap wrist weights on for almost all my lifts.

laugh.gif
lmao.

Lo and behold.........
laugh.gif
Makes me hurt watchn it....His form is so bad...his feet arent placed equaly to each other (asking for injury)....and his knees
eek.gif
...looks like they're gonna pop
laugh.gif
Paying more attention I noticed that the spotter is shaking his head and wiping his brow like "+*% this is so dangerous/stupid".
Quarter squats are a valid exercise but he was doing 1/8 squats.�
laugh.gif

Another reason why I don't spot crazies in the gym. Imagine wasting your time on that @+%+.

sick.gif

indifferent.gif
at my gym.

A rack as in a smith machine? If so, than that would put undue stress on your spine because it restricts natural posture which is unique for every individual. In other words, no two individuals move in the exact same way during exercises because of limb length/body proportion.

Using dumbells would be the same as using a bar but since scoliosis is basically antisymmetry of the spine dumbbells would aid in the symmetry (strength wise) of the muscle that work in conjunction with the spine on either side of the body.

Barbells tend to promote/enhance imblances while dumbells tend to narrow that range.
As far as the price: All the gyms here basically suck. And contrary to the USA, people here who pay for a gym ALWAYS go. In the USA the whole idea is to get a whole bunch of people caught up in long +!% contracts 90% of people won't even stick to. Here... not so much. Gyms are picking up in São Paulo apparently, but a good decent gym here is near impossible. There IS one I know of, but it's too far away from home for someone who doesn't drive, plus at the hours I go to the gym... the streets ain't all that safe.

I did mean the rack machine, I put my feet out in front of me... because that's what I was told to do, is that ******ed advice? I would think the rack would be good because it ensures shortest distance moved.

I understand WHY you'd use dumbbells, I'm asking more in terms of form... more specifically for the dead lift. I actually train exclusively with dumbbells for the same reasons you mentioned, but it gets really tedious cuz I'm having to strap wrist weights on for almost all my lifts.

Oh, my bad.
Form would be the same as for barbells. Except that with dumbells you can hold them at the side when doing deadlifts which is the perfect postural form fordeadlifting. It is easier but a lot safer since your spine is in better alignment with your lower body.

Have you tried squatting with a barbell or dumbbells overhead (overhead squats).
You don't need much weight starting out and it's a superior excercise than the traditional squat. Front squatting may also be better and usuallyrequires less poundage.
I don';t back squat that much since both front Squats and Overhead squats are better "bang for your buck".

sick.gif

indifferent.gif
at my gym.

As far as the price: All the gyms here basically suck. And contrary to the USA, people here who pay for a gym ALWAYS go. In the USA the whole idea is to get a whole bunch of people caught up in long +!% contracts 90% of people won't even stick to. Here... not so much. Gyms are picking up in São Paulo apparently, but a good decent gym here is near impossible. There IS one I know of, but it's too far away from home for someone who doesn't drive, plus at the hours I go to the gym... the streets ain't all that safe.

I did mean the rack machine, I put my feet out in front of me... because that's what I was told to do, is that ******ed advice? I would think the rack would be good because it ensures shortest distance moved.

I understand WHY you'd use dumbbells, I'm asking more in terms of form... more specifically for the dead lift. I actually train exclusively with dumbbells for the same reasons you mentioned, but it gets really tedious cuz I'm having to strap wrist weights on for almost all my lifts.

Oh, my bad.
Form would be the same as for barbells. Except that with dumbells you can hold them at the side when doing deadlifts which is the perfect postural form for deadlifting. It is easier but a lot safer since your spine is in better alignment with your lower body.

Have you tried squatting with a barbell or dumbbells overhead (overhead squats).
You don't need much weight starting out and it's a superior excercise than the traditional squat. Front squatting may also be better and usually requires less poundage.
I don';t back squat that much since both front Squats and Overhead squats are better "bang for your buck".
Hmm, for deadlifts that seems like that might work... I'll give it a try on tuesday.

Can you explain front squats? Overhead squats?

Originally Posted by ericescobar

IICE-we started (though i originated...)the idea that we should post pics at the beginning of every month to check progress. Audi's thinking your gonna participate in the pics parade. motivation is motivation...
I know nothing of that. Only thing I know about was the contest idea we had and we both said we wasnt gonna participate.

Then I posted my lifting stats and he came in like burning goneria, talking all this mess about how smaller dudes than him is throwing up more weight than me and blah blah....then he comes with my body fat% and all this BS and he's gonna get real big in a month and me and him post pics???........
laugh.gif

If it motivates him,.....more power to him. Im not here to compete
yeah the competition thing is what i meant. hey, i hope we all show some improvements come one month's time. i BETTER see somethingshhhhiiiizzzzz

laugh.gif

What is that guy thinking ?? Didnt even do a quarter of a squat, and his knees look like they are bout to explode. SMH.

Also, Ive never been on to supplements, just Whey Protein.

What should I be looking to try ??

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Bulgarian split squats? They put much less stress on the spine as front or back squats.
Yes!

Completely forgot about those. I do them every other week.
I remember the first time I tried them and I was not ready. Underestimated would be understatement. I cramped up so bad.
laugh.gif

those are the worst squats I've seen in a minute. I see guys doing that at my gym almost every day, but not anywhere near that heavy.

i just started adding squats to my regimen. took so long because my legs were always strong and decided extensions,curls were sufficient. anyway, just startedthem and i'm going deep (that's what she said). i should be at 225 in no time...maybe a 4-6 weeks at the most

IICE-we started (though i originated...)the idea that we should post pics at the beginning of every month to check progress. Audi's thinking your gonna participate in the pics parade. motivation is motivation...
I know nothing of that. Only thing I know about was the contest idea we had and we both said we wasnt gonna participate.

Then I posted my lifting stats and he came in like burning goneria, talking all this mess about how smaller dudes than him is throwing up more weight than me and blah blah....then he comes with my body fat% and all this BS and he's gonna get real big in a month and me and him post pics???........
laugh.gif

If it motivates him,.....more power to him. Im not here to compete
yeah the competition thing is what i meant. hey, i hope we all show some improvements come one month's time. i BETTER see something shhhhiiiizzzzz
I donno....the past 2 days ive had, 2 lrg milkshakes from BK....12 chocolate chip cookies...2 chicken sandwhiches from BK...but I did get somechicken breast in though
laugh.gif
.......I know ill pay for it later
smh.gif

You don't need much weight starting out and it's a superior excercise than the traditional squat. Front squatting may also be better and usually requires less poundage.
For someone with Scoliosis, I agree, although I'd imagine that overhead squats might not work out well depending on how severe the curve is.

In general, though, I don't know. Front Squats are good as a way to bring up your quads, especially if your glutes and hams dominate your squats, andthey're good when you can't do as much weight as you would normally squat, like coming back from a back or knee injury, but I was never able to put anysize on my legs until I stopped BSing and just made it a point to do back squats religously and build my strength up on them. I think unless you have aphysical reason not to (i.e. scoliosis, or a herniated disk, etc...) you're doing your legs a disservice by not squatting. Just my opinion though.

laugh.gif
lmao.

Lo and behold.........
laugh.gif

roll.gif

why wouldn't this dude just take off a lot of that weight and just do it the right way?� I hate dudes like this....seriously.�

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

For someone with Scoliosis, I agree, although I'd imagine that overhead squats might not work out well depending on how severe the curve is.

In general, though, I don't know. Front Squats are good as a way to bring up your quads, especially if your glutes and hams dominate your squats, and they're good when you can't do as much weight as you would normally squat, like coming back from a back or knee injury, but I was never able to put any size on my legs until I stopped BSing and just made it a point to do back squats religously and build my strength up on them. I think unless you have a physical reason not to (i.e. scoliosis, or a herniated disk, etc...) you're doing your legs a disservice by not squatting. Just my opinion though.

Back squats may be superior for size. I don't really know in that respect.

All I know is that if I put 10lbs. on my front squat I literally put on at least 20lbs. on the back squat. As soon as I found that to hold true for me, I backsquat prob. once every 4 or 5 weeks.
Plus I don't like doing extra exercises for my abs/obliques and and that's one area that front squats hit hard. In terms of posterior chaindevelopment Front Squats/Overhead squats are superior to back squats.

It's a personal thing though. Some like back, some like front/overhead.

I like watchn pro BBers vids and they're lifestyles.....But yall gotta see this vid

Kia Greene- dude lives in BK or BX in the projects and came a long way.....Won the Arnold classic this year

Look how much he eats after his win
eek.gif
.....He says alot of REAL @$%! though

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1960/164/
link is broken, i think. i wanna see this
prob gotta copy and paste

http://mdtv.musculardevel...m/content/view/1960/164/

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

In general, though, I don't know. Front Squats are good as a way to bring up your quads, especially if your glutes and hams dominate your squats, and they're good when you can't do as much weight as you would normally squat, like coming back from a back or knee injury, but I was never able to put any size on my legs until I stopped BSing and just made it a point to do back squats religously and build my strength up on them. I think unless you have a physical reason not to (i.e. scoliosis, or a herniated disk, etc...) you're doing your legs a disservice by not squatting. Just my opinion though.

Back squats may be superior for size. I don't really know in that respect.

All I know is that if I put 10lbs. on my front squat I literally put on at least 20lbs. on the back squat. As soon as I found that to hold true for me, I back squat prob. once every 4 or 5 weeks.
Plus I don't like doing extra exercises for my abs/obliques and and that's one area that front squats hit hard. In terms of posterior chain development Front Squats/Overhead squats are superior to back squats.

It's a personal thing though. Some like back, some like front/overhead.

Hmm, looks interesting. I'll give it a try (split squats that is). Do you recommend doing them with yoru back or front leg elevated? I'mlooking on youtube and I see both.

Please explain frontsquats btw? Is it with the weight out in front?

Back
Top Bottom