STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

jesus christ how much do you weigh to be in that much of a deficit?

Why folk gotta use ALL the plates

Dude hit a set off 5 and dipped

why u taking pics instead of working out.

prob taking up a bench for you're damb voyeurism photoshoot smh

Did chest yesterday

I swear no matter what i do i feel pain in my right rotator cuff every time i flat bench. Whether its bar or DBs. I think im going to give up flat for a bit and stay with incline. For some reason it doesn't hurt when i incline. I seriously suck at benching :lol:

How are you setting up when does it hurt?
coming down or as you press?

Did chest yesterday

I swear no matter what i do i feel pain in my right rotator cuff every time i flat bench. Whether its bar or DBs. I think im going to give up flat for a bit and stay with incline. For some reason it doesn't hurt when i incline. I seriously suck at benching :lol:

Both. I try everything too. Shoulders up - back - down. Scapula retraction, dig traps into bench. Feet under you but flat. Tried wide grip, closer grip, suicide grip, thumbs around grip. Bar path difference down right under pecs done on nipples down lower near top abs.

I have a "doesn't hurt as bad" zone but can't find a pain free zone. I figure i will break from flat and come back super slow and light weight to try to figure it out

So I got hit with "Mr. Vandelay, going off of the x-rays from several years ago we noticed a slight disc degeneratation, and this is a manifestation of it" Then, "avoid lifting heavy objects until we get the results of your MRI"  This is the first time hearing about hearing about any kind of degeneration. So that means no weight-lifting and I am kind of bummed out about it because weight-lifting makes me feel good. I was at the point where I was seeing gains and getting a little stronger.

So what is y'alls advice in the meantime for not gaining/losing gut. I hate being like this because I take pride in being a older gent that is seemingly put together, with the exception that I have gotten a small gut and it is driving me insane. Maybe it is being vain but I don't give a damn. I think we all do and I have been set back and I don't want my gut to get bigger and I don't want to lose any muscle definition or strength, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Both. I try everything too. Shoulders up - back - down. Scapula retraction, dig traps into bench. Feet under you but flat. Tried wide grip, closer grip, suicide grip, thumbs around grip. Bar path difference down right under pecs done on nipples down lower near top abs.

I have a "doesn't hurt as bad" zone but can't find a pain free zone. I figure i will break from flat and come back super slow and light weight to try to figure it out
Damn man, sounds like you've tried everything in terms of tweaking your form.

Definitely take a break from pressing. Shoulders and rotator cuff injuries are no joke, you want to catch it early and heal before it turns into a surgery only recovery.

Last edited:
art vandelay art vandelay I had the same thing. Degeneration of discs, arthritis.. Disc ended up being herniated. I definitely recommend looking for a good sport oriented PT. You'll have to see what's up with the MRI and take time off but it's not a nail in the coffin. You just need to be patient and take the time to recover properly and pay more attention to your back. I used bands to try to keep myself sane while I was recovering.

@Jking0821  - I actually had a shoulder strain the past 4 weeks.  Weeks prior it was just a nagging feeling then when I finally addressed its because I had discomfort just reaching in the backseat of my car.  In terms of lifting my rotator cuff would just die during the descent of my bench.  

I literally stopped benching all together and focused on mobility and stretching.  Just started again yesterday, even filmed a set.  Felt 10000x better, but still taking it slow and only benching once a week as opposed to 2-3 times.

Last edited:
Did chest yesterday

I tore my rotator cuff years ago and ever since flat bench has been very uncomfortable. I can hear and feel my shoulder clicking and there's quite a bit of pain. I found that even a slight incline even one position up fixes these issues for me.

Last edited:
Did chest yesterday

Does it hurt when you do a push up, or only on a flat bench?

Push ups hurt as well but are obviously way more bearable
Thanks for the feedback guys. And great vid justinvincent justinvincent repped
My right shoulder clicks in and out too. One knotch up on the bench helps but doesn't alleviate but the more incline i go the better it gets. Like shoulder press is fine for me. I have fallen on my right side basically my whole life. I separated it once when i was a kid but nothing super major.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom