Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by WarMachine

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

restocked on some supps and got some shrug hooks, a lil better than straps
How's that Isopure? I've heard good things about it...

I keep being reprimanded for buying supps at GNC.

Everybody is always telling me they're a rip off but I really don't know any other place that sells this kinda stuff.

I really don't trust to buy online either. Heard the stories of placebo powders labeled as whatever.
smh.gif
mad.gif

Isn't Vitamin Shop like the same price stuff basically?

What's some good places to get stuff for cheaper than GNC?

Brick and mortar places are always going to be more expensive than buying online but GNC is great because of their stellar Costco-esque return policy. I've tried several things that made me sick, or didn't settle correctly and GNC let me get all of my money back.
Yeah, Ive had friends who had done the "dump and return" gig with them too.

Okay So since my hand healed up a bit i'm going to hit the bag lightly but focus more on running. I'm in need of your help tho NT. need suggestions on:

-Supplements to take. ex. whey protein?
- meal plan to follow?

I'm trying to lose 20 lbs maybe 25 but gain muscle as I weight 158 and i'm 5'7. I'm not trying to get big just going for that Brad Pitt look infight club haha

Glutamine increases HGH production when taken on an empty stomach. Taken in the morning, before a workout, it can be beneficial.

Originally Posted by JRThumper85

Okay So since my hand healed up a bit i'm going to hit the bag lightly but focus more on running. I'm in need of your help tho NT. need suggestions on:

- meal plan to follow?

I'm trying to lose 20 lbs maybe 25 but gain muscle as I weight 158 and i'm 5'7. I'm not trying to get big just going for that Brad Pitt look in fight club haha

you can't gain muscle and cut weight simultaneously.

lol at shrug hooks. lifting big and having the grip strength of a twelve year old girl is not what's up.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Durden7 wrote:

I have nothing against supplements per say, but the dudes who swear by them and treat them as the cause of progress are the ones I try and correct.

Whey isnt necessary, but it also isnt harmful/detrimental.

I really would encourage people to take a look at how much protein they consume in a day. It really can be shocking to some people for them to see that
theyre getting more than the necessary dosage of protein even without a shake.

I'd be interested to know your stance on this. General consensus seems to be 1.0 - 1.5 g/lb of target body weight, but there have been studies where the
difference between 0.5 to 1.0+ was barely noticeable.

Personally I've used less than that and still seen good results. After all, getting to that target using mainly Chicken Breasts and Whey gets old real
fast.

For protein?

I dont know how that 1 g/lb thing got started, but its actually 1 g per KG of body weight. As an example: A 180 lb male.

If hes sedentary and does little to no activity at all: 65g of protein for the day
Moderatly active or a distance runner: 90 - 106 g of protein
Resistance training: 114 - 122g of protein

Those resistance figures are a bit high too. Thats for people who do a lot of strength training. Most individuals who are exercising to look better and lose weight dont even need to hit that number.

Yea for Protein. Where are you getting those numbers from, out of curiosity?

- meal plan to follow?

I'm trying to lose 20 lbs maybe 25 but gain muscle as I weight 158 and i'm 5'7. I'm not trying to get big just going for that Brad Pitt look in fight club haha
It's possible. It's not something that most people do though, because it isn't a traditional approach to fitness/nutrition.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

For protein?

I dont know how that 1 g/lb thing got started, but its actually 1 g per KG of body weight. As an example: A 180 lb male.

If hes sedentary and does little to no activity at all: 65g of protein for the day
Moderatly active or a distance runner: 90 - 106 g of protein
Resistance training: 114 - 122g of protein

Those resistance figures are a bit high too. Thats for people who do a lot of strength training. Most individuals who are exercising to look better and lose weight dont even need to hit that number.

Yea for Protein. Where are you getting those numbers from, out of curiosity?

Well lbs to kg is weight in pounds divided by 2.2 So 180 lbs/2.2 = 82. A sedentary person needs .8g/kg of body weight just to keep their body functioningnormally.... so thats where the 65 g comes from.

Distance runners/aerobic athletes need 1.1 - 1.3 grams/kg. (The 90-106 grams)

Strength training athletes are in the 1.4-1.5 range. (114-122) Ive heard of some athletes going near the 2 range, but thats for individuals who are trulydedicated to what theyre doing and traning VERY seriously.

Thats still under the 1 gram per pound of body weight which a lot of people swear by.

These numbers are skewed a bit though because the numbers should be based off of HEALTHY weight so an overweight individual weighing 215 lbs should use a lowernumber than 215.

Reading this thread makes me lightweight depressed.
laugh.gif

Based on what some of you are posting as diets (specifically, the amount of food), I feel like I'll never be shredded.

I mean, it's not like I eat junk food or anything. I make a great effort to eat organic and healthy food items.

I just eat a lot of whatever it is.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by boxer

lol at shrug hooks. lifting big and having the grip strength of a twelve year old girl is not what's up.

i never saw the appeal of these either

Originally Posted by nealraj006

- meal plan to follow?

It's possible. It's not something that most people do though, because it isn't a traditional approach to fitness/nutrition.

^This. PLEASE, if you're going to give advice, please don't throw around incorrect information just because you'veheard it elsewhere, and especially if you haven't tried it yourself. This, and the 1g/lb of bodyweight are my 2 biggest pet peeve myths.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I've been meaning to ask this for a while of everyone.

What is your poundage distribution for an exercise that you're doing 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc. Also, what's your goal from doing an exercise and the very next time the same exercise is performed?
I think this is where a lot of beginners get it wrong and it hold them back quite a bit.

Im not sure I understand what youre asking....

I think he's asking if you do a set of shoulder press (eg) at 4x8 of 35lbs one week, the next week what should you do? Should you remain at 4x8 35lbs or maybe go 10, 8, 6 with heavier to small weights?

I usually just go 4x8 heavy then 2x10 lighter on some exercises. I really hate the 3x10 because I dont feel like I push myself enough..
Yeh. Kinda.

Say you're doing 3x8 or 5x5,. What weight do you use the 1st , 2nd set, 3rd set, etc. Also, what is the goal and weight distribution for the same exercisethe next time it's performed.

I think one of the biggest mistakes comes about because many can't define what an increase in strentgh from training period to training period is.

For example take 2 guys say doing bench press. both are doing 4x6. One guy does 85,90,95,100 lbs. The 2nd guy does 60, 80, 100, 120 lbs. Who has actuallylifted more weight/ exerted more force? (1st guy 2220 lbs v 2nd guy with 2160 lbs).
Most people don't think of lifting in terms of cumulative poundage/ cumulative workload. Training is all about the total poundage lifted. The goal fromone workout to the next ( pressing session to pressing session, dl session to dl session, etc.) is to lift more cumulative poundage. That could be moreweight, more reps, more sets, whatever gets the job done.

Most beginners (and many non beginners) think of training in terms of 1 RM's when in reality 1RM has little to do with success in training. Higher1RM'es are the end result of a good training scheme. They do not make a good training routine.

The goal from trainign session to trainign session should be more cumulative poundage. Even if it's only 1 kilo more that still counts and it does show aprogress in strentgh. How many people use the 2.2 lbs barbell weights at the gym? Very few. The reason being that few realize the importance of total poundageand the utility of the 2.2 lbs weight (s).

There are some in this thread who already know this and train this way but many don't think in these terms.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

- meal plan to follow?

^This. PLEASE, if you're going to give advice, please don't throw around incorrect information just because you've heard it elsewhere, and especially if you haven't tried it yourself. This, and the 1g/lb of bodyweight are my 2 biggest pet peeve myths.
Do you have any advice/resources? I'm tryina lose while at the very minimum maintaining my current strength.

Originally Posted by nkwu11

- meal plan to follow?

^This. PLEASE, if you're going to give advice, please don't throw around incorrect information just because you've heard it elsewhere, and especially if you haven't tried it yourself. This, and the 1g/lb of bodyweight are my 2 biggest pet peeve myths.
Do you have any advice/resources? I'm tryina lose while at the very minimum maintaining my current strength.
maximum amount of lean muscle that can be gained in a week--- 1/2 lb.
maximum amount of fat that can be lost in a week-- upwards of 2 lbs.

If you have enough fat to lose and you're doing things right then gaining muscle and losing fat is the natural way of things.

- meal plan to follow?

It's incredibly impractical. Why encourage a noobie to carry such a workload of information when it's much more feasible to cut and bulk? AND hisheight and weight makes me lean toward he doesn't have that much fat in the first place.

Can anyone help me setup a beginner's workout format for the week?

And can include things that should be remembered, information that is important, what stuff to eat and what stuff to stay away from?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!

- meal plan to follow?

It's incredibly impractical. Why encourage a noobie to carry such a workload of information when it's much more feasible to cut and bulk? AND his height and weight makes me lean toward he doesn't have that much fat in the first place.

95% of people should never/dont need to go through bulking and cutting phases though.

95% of what people? 95% of people don't care about what the eat, whats your point?

That percentage of people dont need to go through B/C phases. Its not necessary and can be detrimental to their health.

So it is possible to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time, and recommending they B/C can be risky.

95% of what people? 95% of people don't care about what the eat, whats your point?

That percentage of people dont need to go through B/C phases. Its not necessary and can be detrimental to their health.

So it is possible to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time, and recommending they B/C can be risky.

This, and you (WarMachine) contradicted yourself by saying it's not possible, then by going back on your word and saying it's impractical. Don'tfeed people misinformation that bulking and cutting is the only way to do it, when there are better alternatives that are better suited for them.

Originally Posted by Moneyright

cravings suck, i just dogged half a chicken with fries at 11pm,

i need to step it up
start frequenting the motivation thread too like me
laugh.gif

but on the real though, it helps

Back
Top Bottom