Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Going back to the gym tomorrow morning after a 2 week hiatus. I've NEVER taken this much time off at once. I had a bout w. the H1N1, so I wanted to makesure I was close to 100% before returning. I don't want to push it too much, but it's a nice feeling knowing I'm going to punish myself tomorrowmorning
pimp.gif

6 months ago, 3 months ago, now.
10or11s.jpg

331jdds.jpg

n5gbw1.jpg

What's wrong with this? I'm a bit disappointed. LOL

All my lifts have improved though.

Oh well. I like the skinner look.

Originally Posted by Mathilda Lando

I propose a question to the more knowledgeable posters in this thread:

How much LEAN MUSCLE can the average person expect to gain in a calender year?

I expect to do nothing more than eat clean, work out and drink protein shakes.

I'm not interested in supplements at all.

I have a very fast metabolism and my body fat % is in the 5% range.

I can't remember where I read specifically read this but 1/2 lb. of lean muscle gain a week is at the upper range of what's possible naturally. Thatmeans eating correctly, training correct, and having the genetics to support maximum muscle growth.

I'm pretty sure it was a scientific study but I can't find the exact one now. As with all studies it can be completely wrong/ partially correct.

btw, for those arguing about actors. Hollywood actors have been known to take steroids/ HGH (site injections for burning fat locally which HGH is known to do)for roles. I'm sure they do it under medical supervision with a premium product. There's nothing inherently bad about it.

This whole week I worked out with my 35lb dumb bells with ease.
smokin.gif

The 50lbs are still a struggle to do inclineflyes with, but I'm getting there.

*cues post work out music*

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

10or11s.jpg

331jdds.jpg

n5gbw1.jpg

what's your diet like?

you're probably not eating enough

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I can't remember where I read specifically read this but 1/2 lb. of lean muscle gain a week is at the upper range of what's possible naturally. That means eating correctly, training correct, and having the genetics to support maximum muscle growth.

I'm pretty sure it was a scientific study but I can't find the exact one now. As with all studies it can be completely wrong/ partially correct.

btw, for those arguing about actors. Hollywood actors have been known to take steroids/ HGH (site injections for burning fat locally which HGH is known to do) for roles. I'm sure they do it under medical supervision with a premium product. There's nothing inherently bad about it.
I think the first link a page or 2 ago is where it says 1/2 lb a week if everything is done perfectly.

That might be the article youre thinking of.

Edit: yeah, pg. 30

Originally Posted by Durden7

I can't remember where I read specifically read this but 1/2 lb. of lean muscle gain a week is at the upper range of what's possible naturally. That means eating correctly, training correct, and having the genetics to support maximum muscle growth.

btw, for those arguing about actors. Hollywood actors have been known to take steroids/ HGH (site injections for burning fat locally which HGH is known to do) for roles. I'm sure they do it under medical supervision with a premium product. There's nothing inherently bad about it.
I think the first link a page or 2 ago is where it says 1/2 lb a week if everything is done perfectly.

That might be the article youre thinking of.
Didn't read that one but good to know somethign of that nature was posted. Too many myths and exaggeration floating around that skew beginnersoutlook on training and their own progress.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while of everyone.

What is your poundage distribution for an exercise that you're doing 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc. Also, what's your goal from doing an exercise and the verynext time the same exercise is performed?
I think this is where a lot of beginners get it wrong and it hold them back quite a bit.

Originally Posted by The Rat Pack Is Back

what's your diet like?

you're probably not eating enough

I'm not going to lie, it's been horrible this past month. That doesn't explain how I've gotten a lot stronger than when I was in my secondpicture though.

I'm hoping it's just the picture.
tongue.gif

What is your poundage distribution for an exercise that you're doing 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc. Also, what's your goal from doing an exercise and the very next time the same exercise is performed?
I think this is where a lot of beginners get it wrong and it hold them back quite a bit.

Im not sure I understand what youre asking....

10or11s.jpg

331jdds.jpg

n5gbw1.jpg

What's your height and weight?

Had too much Brazilian food for dinner. About to head to the gym now for some fun.

Man, I OD'D on fruits today...

-like 15 moroccan clementines
-red globe grapes
-strawberries
-2 bananas
-1 green apple
-1 persimmon
-1 pomegranate
-1 plum

Feels good man
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

What is your poundage distribution for an exercise that you're doing 3x8, 4x6, 5x5, etc. Also, what's your goal from doing an exercise and the very next time the same exercise is performed?

I think he's asking if you do a set of shoulder press (eg) at 4x8 of 35lbs one week, the next week what should you do? Should you remain at 4x8 35lbs ormaybe go 10, 8, 6 with heavier to small weights?

I usually just go 4x8 heavy then 2x10 lighter on some exercises. I really hate the 3x10 because I dont feel like I push myself enough..

Originally Posted by I3

I think he's asking if you do a set of shoulder press (eg) at 4x8 of 35lbs one week, the next week what should you do? Should you remain at 4x8 35lbs or maybe go 10, 8, 6 with heavier to small weights?

I usually just go 4x8 heavy then 2x10 lighter on some exercises. I really hate the 3x10 because I dont feel like I push myself enough..
Gotcha.

It all depends on what you wanna do (goals, etc.) There are ways to tell if the weight is too low or if its time to move up in weight but typically mostpeople just judge it based on how they feel.

Me personally, I plan my workouts weeks (occasionally months) ahead of time so I stay with what I planned and pick the weight according to the reps im doing.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Glutamine by itself is useless....
from a bodybuilding standpoint yeah but doesn't it help your immune system in some way? i don't bother with it myself, whey protein has aton of glutamine anyway.

are any of you getting stretch marks? i'm 5'8 went from 135lb to 150lb this past summer and developed quite a few stretch marks around my chest/armpitarea.

I have nothing against supplements per say, but the dudes who swear by them and treat them as the cause of progress are the ones I try and correct.

Whey isnt necessary, but it also isnt harmful/detrimental.

I really would encourage people to take a look at how much protein they consume in a day. It really can be shocking to some people for them to see that theyre getting more than the necessary dosage of protein even without a shake.

I'd be interested to know your stance on this. General consensus seems to be 1.0 - 1.5 g/lb of target body weight, but there have been studies where thedifference between 0.5 to 1.0+ was barely noticeable.

Personally I've used less than that and still seen good results. After all, getting to that target using mainly Chicken Breasts and Whey gets old realfast.

Yea so I went by the boxing GYM and did 3 days worth of workout and damn near passed out and was in pain for about a week so I decided not to go back till Iget down to 195(i'm at 211) so I want some opinions on this lil routine I have in mind (40 Minutes Jog Or 40 Minutes Jump Rope Everyday) While eating goodi'm gonna cut out sodas and all that extra stuff And some people I know be doing that bar workout and I was wondering has anyone on here personally triedit ?

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

restocked on some supps and got some shrug hooks, a lil better than straps

44d16b3aea6204ac2e5620e6ac3abab4d1ea32f1.jpg
How's that Isopure? I've heard good things about it...

I keep being reprimanded for buying supps at GNC.

Everybody is always telling me they're a rip off but I really don't know any other place that sells this kinda stuff.

I really don't trust to buy online either. Heard the stories of placebo powders labeled as whatever.
smh.gif
mad.gif

Isn't Vitamin Shop like the same price stuff basically?

What's some good places to get stuff for cheaper than GNC?

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Glutamine by itself is useless....
from a bodybuilding standpoint yeah but doesn't it help your immune system in some way? i don't bother with it myself, whey protein has a ton of glutamine anyway.

laugh.gif

A LOT of things help your immune system, if you took everything that did this youd have a *(^#$# load of vitamins.

he isnt taking it for that reason though....you know this.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

I have nothing against supplements per say, but the dudes who swear by them and treat them as the cause of progress are the ones I try and correct.

Whey isnt necessary, but it also isnt harmful/detrimental.

I really would encourage people to take a look at how much protein they consume in a day. It really can be shocking to some people for them to see that theyre getting more than the necessary dosage of protein even without a shake.

I'd be interested to know your stance on this. General consensus seems to be 1.0 - 1.5 g/lb of target body weight, but there have been studies where the difference between 0.5 to 1.0+ was barely noticeable.

Personally I've used less than that and still seen good results. After all, getting to that target using mainly Chicken Breasts and Whey gets old real fast.

For protein?

I dont know how that 1 g/lb thing got started, but its actually 1 g per KG of body weight. As an example: A 180 lb male.

If hes sedentary and does little to no activity at all: 65g of protein for the day
Moderatly active or a distance runner: 90 - 106 g of protein
Resistance training: 114 - 122g of protein

Those resistance figures are a bit high too. Thats for people who do a lot of strength training. Most individuals who are exercising to look better and loseweight dont even need to hit that number.

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

restocked on some supps and got some shrug hooks, a lil better than straps

44d16b3aea6204ac2e5620e6ac3abab4d1ea32f1.jpg
How's that Isopure? I've heard good things about it...

I keep being reprimanded for buying supps at GNC.

Everybody is always telling me they're a rip off but I really don't know any other place that sells this kinda stuff.

I really don't trust to buy online either. Heard the stories of placebo powders labeled as whatever.
smh.gif
mad.gif

Isn't Vitamin Shop like the same price stuff basically?

What's some good places to get stuff for cheaper than GNC?

Brick and mortar places are always going to be more expensive than buying online but GNC is great because of their stellar Costco-esque return policy. I'vetried several things that made me sick, or didn't settle correctly and GNC let me get all of my money back.

Back
Top Bottom