Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Troopers just causally walking around work today NBD had to make it a gif cause i cant upload a video

Attachments

• 815EED40-EE2A-44C2-ADFD-8F1DCC2AA550.gif
    815EED40-EE2A-44C2-ADFD-8F1DCC2AA550.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
A lot of people have an issue with Snoke not being anything or having a back story, but I don't recall there being that much back story around The Emperor in the OG trilogy. I'm gonna have to give them a re watch.

Also, those who are upset that we didn't get answers... don't expect them in Episode IX... lol. Since when does JJ Abrams really provide answers in anything he makes ?

Like Lost for example...
The Island Luke was living in kind of reminded me of Lost with the light and dark and obviously Lost had some Star Wars references here and there.

Was I trippin, or did I see....
A ship or something in the distance when Luke was staring out into the binary sunset?

Like Lost for example...
The Island Luke was living in kind of reminded me of Lost with the light and dark and obviously Lost had some Star Wars references here and there.

Wasn't that more on writers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse? I have no idea how hands-on JJ was on that show to be honest.

C CP1708 7th Chamber 7th Chamber @GrizzlyAnimal

Can't take credit for this...Found on another forum...great point imo

I think one of the main messages in TLJ was that no matter how important a person is, the legend surrounding him/her can be far more powerful. Luke gave his life to inspire others which we see in the scene at the end when broomboy uses his forcepower. Luke's sacrifice has sparked the force and the will to fight back in ordinary people. The idea and the message is that anyone can be an important piece to saving the galaxy. The fate of the galaxy is no longer in the hands of the Skywalker bloodline. Rey is the embodiment of this concept and her parents being nobodies is a logical step towards a galaxy where the force is used in many ways and by many users. So yes, I do believe that she really is a nobody and that the Skwalker bloodline will probably end with IX.
Luke dying I have no problem with. Obviously using the force that much drain his life form from him and if inpires other I’m all for it. But this while anybody just can use the force when they want to. No no that’s not how it works.

I think one of the main messages in TLJ was that no matter how important a person is, the legend surrounding him/her can be far more powerful. Luke gave his life to inspire others which we see in the scene at the end when broomboy uses his forcepower. Luke's sacrifice has sparked the force and the will to fight back in ordinary people. The idea and the message is that anyone can be an important piece to saving the galaxy. The fate of the galaxy is no longer in the hands of the Skywalker bloodline. Rey is the embodiment of this concept and her parents being nobodies is a logical step towards a galaxy where the force is used in many ways and by many users. So yes, I do believe that she really is a nobody and that the Skwalker bloodline will probably end with IX.

Very great point.

I also found these elsewhere:

For those of us who grew up with Star Wars, we have some expectations about how these movies work: the Force users struggle between Light and Dark, and the non-Force users will be lucky enough to save the day. Mysteries will be revealed. Special people have a unique and important destiny.

This movie basically says: **** all that. Sometimes you go to a lot of effort for no point. Sometimes greatness comes from nowhere. Sometimes great pedigrees don't mean ****. Sometimes hopes are dashed. Sometimes what seems like a great mystery ends up being not all that important. And probably the biggest one of all: beware of hubris. Luke talks about the hubris of the Jedi, but we also get to see how Rey, Poe, Snoke, and Ben all suffer for their hubris, as well—and, I would argue, so do both the First Order and the Resistance, the former in constantly underestimating their foe, and the latter for thinking they really had a chance. Good guys, bad guys, Sith, Jedi, Light, Dark: those are false dichotomies. Luke, Ben, and DJ all reject them. That's what this movie is about. Are they right? I think we find out in the next movie.

This movie takes a lot of what Star Wars is and has been and tells us that it's ********—or perhaps more accurately, that there is more to Star Wars (and life) than those key themes. It's okay not to like that, because you want Star Wars to be the things that this movie aggressively rejects. But I get the sense that this is what's bugging a lot of people about whether or not they like the movie. Personally, I find it fascinating and liberating.

I applaud the decision to hit the restart button on some of the stale formulae we’ve grown accustomed to in SW. The whole concept of hero worship undermines the Everyman hero and I’m glad they had the bravery to really explore the notion of what really happens when you meet your heroes. They’re just people. People dealing with their own failures and hang ups. The Finn/Rose arc, Poe’s mutiny, Rey’s failure to turn Ben, all these are examples of our heroes tying their best, believing what’s right, and failing. And as Yoda tries to tell Luke, who still hasn’t learned this lesson, our failures are often more important to our growth than our success.

People will be mad about this film. It will make them uncomfortable because it gets rid of the seemingly solid foundation of hero worship. But the heroes journey has always been about finding salvation and growth within. No ones coming to rescue you from yourself.

There were things I questioned in the movie, but that’s been the same with every SW film and nothing was so extreme as to be too hard to swallow, as I almost felt about the prequels when they first came out. I really enjoyed being surprised with all the new things the Force could do (thank goodness being a Jedi doesn’t just mean you can do cool backflips and forcejumps). Bravo to Rian for expanding the scope of what it means to be a Jedi.

Very great point.

I also found these elsewhere:

For those of us who grew up with Star Wars, we have some expectations about how these movies work: the Force users struggle between Light and Dark, and the non-Force users will be lucky enough to save the day. Mysteries will be revealed. Special people have a unique and important destiny.

This movie basically says: **** all that. Sometimes you go to a lot of effort for no point. Sometimes greatness comes from nowhere. Sometimes great pedigrees don't mean ****. Sometimes hopes are dashed. Sometimes what seems like a great mystery ends up being not all that important. And probably the biggest one of all: beware of hubris. Luke talks about the hubris of the Jedi, but we also get to see how Rey, Poe, Snoke, and Ben all suffer for their hubris, as well—and, I would argue, so do both the First Order and the Resistance, the former in constantly underestimating their foe, and the latter for thinking they really had a chance. Good guys, bad guys, Sith, Jedi, Light, Dark: those are false dichotomies. Luke, Ben, and DJ all reject them. That's what this movie is about. Are they right? I think we find out in the next movie.

This movie takes a lot of what Star Wars is and has been and tells us that it's bull****—or perhaps more accurately, that there is more to Star Wars (and life) than those key themes. It's okay not to like that, because you want Star Wars to be the things that this movie aggressively rejects. But I get the sense that this is what's bugging a lot of people about whether or not they like the movie. Personally, I find it fascinating and liberating.

I applaud the decision to hit the restart button on some of the stale formulae we’ve grown accustomed to in SW. The whole concept of hero worship undermines the Everyman hero and I’m glad they had the bravery to really explore the notion of what really happens when you meet your heroes. They’re just people. People dealing with their own failures and hang ups. The Finn/Rose arc, Poe’s mutiny, Rey’s failure to turn Ben, all these are examples of our heroes tying their best, believing what’s right, and failing. And as Yoda tries to tell Luke, who still hasn’t learned this lesson, our failures are often more important to our growth than our success.

People will be mad about this film. It will make them uncomfortable because it gets rid of the seemingly solid foundation of hero worship. But the heroes journey has always been about finding salvation and growth within. No ones coming to rescue you from yourself.

There were things I questioned in the movie, but that’s been the same with every SW film and nothing was so extreme as to be too hard to swallow, as I almost felt about the prequels when they first came out. I really enjoyed being surprised with all the new things the Force could do (thank goodness being a Jedi doesn’t just mean you can do cool backflips and forcejumps). Bravo to Rian for expanding the scope of what it means to be a Jedi.
fantastic points.

Watching it right now

:lol: @ Poe and Hux exchange.

:lol: :rofl: @ Asian reistance TIE fighter basically pulling a kamikaze attack.

Last edited:
You have Anthology films to buck the traditional norms, no? This is the “Skywalker saga” yet people are like “oh they trashed Luke Skywalker and made the main protagonist not a Skywalker, get over it” :lol: :rolleyes

The film is aging like milk and it hasn’t even been a weekend yet.

Movie was awful for me:

so if you cool with the Force, you can survive space? Out here lookin like Superman

- Asian chick and Benicio’s characters were meh to me, didn’t really do much for me

- Snoke supposed to be someone to be feared but got taken out easily by a slip of the lightsaber SMH

- if Luke was going to die anyway, why did he even bother projecting himself there, why didn’t he just fight Kylo in real life, QGJ and Mace Windu rolling over in their grave

- I guess I’m ok with Rey’s parentage but seemed like a letdown, I feel it was all kind of built up for her to be related to someone in some way

- Phasma washed again ‍♂️

- I did like Yoda’s CGI though

- “there is only one way in or out of this cave” after a droid scans everything but these ice foxes found a way out?

- a lot of lines seem forced. I hated Luke’s shoulder brush

Did not enjoy it at all

Movie was awful for me:

so if you cool with the Force, you can survive space? Out here lookin like Superman

- Asian chick and Benicio’s characters were meh to me, didn’t really do much for me

- Snoke supposed to be someone to be feared but got taken out easily by a slip of the lightsaber SMH

- if Luke was going to die anyway, why did he even bother projecting himself there, why didn’t he just fight Kylo in real life, QGJ and Mace Windu rolling over in their grave

- I guess I’m ok with Rey’s parentage but seemed like a letdown, I feel it was all kind of built up for her to be related to someone in some way

- Phasma washed again ‍♂️

- I did like Yoda’s CGI though

- “there is only one way in or out of this cave” after a droid scans everything but these ice foxes found a way out?

- a lot of lines seem forced. I hated Luke’s shoulder brush

Did not enjoy it at all

There was no way out of that cave, the foxes could fit, humans could not. They only got out because of Rey's power. And she wasn't with them when they scanned.

That is interesting. I personally feel like she'll be revealed to be a Solo, but I would completely understand if they went that route and that was the theme they were striving for.

I hope Luke was chugging milk and not semen from that thing :lol: 0]

Ok Imma stop now and enjoy the rest of the movie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom