Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just got back from Rogue One and, to summarize, this film was leagues better than The Force Awakens. Enjoyed it from after the first 5 minutes or so until the very end. Not sure how y'all have been handling spoilers in here, but i'll place the rest in some just to be courteous to everyone who hasn't seen the film (I'll also try to keep this brief for once :lol: )

I mentioned that I had planned to read Catalyst, which is billed as being a "Rogue One Novel" beforehand, but I just didn't find the time to do so. I still plan to do that in the near future though. Having watched the film, I can't really imagine how the majority of it would be enhanced by the novel and I can say that I understood everything that was going on just fine. However, the weakest part of this film, in my opinion, was the opening. Forget the lack of the typical Star Wars screen crawl, the first few minutes were just a little bit disjointed from the rest of the film. You know what's going on, but you have zero idea who these characters are and therefore don't really care much about them at all. I can say that I didn't feel a damn thing when Jyn's mother died and how could I be expected to? It's a testament to the writing and acting of everyone else that I then felt something when her father died. You could definitely make educated guesses as to what's gone on between everyone beforehand, specifically between Galen Erso and Orson Krennic, but you're left feeling like you've missed out on some things. I'm sure the novel filled that in, but you really can't expect everyone who see's the film to read the novel. So, i'd call the opening a weak point. Unlike Terminator Genisys though, after the timeskip things improve dramatically.

The two scenes we got of Darth Vader in this film were better than anything Kylo Ren did in the previous film. If anything, it made me respect Ren even less than I already did, if that's even possible. Honestly, I was good with the first scene, between Vader and Krennic. I thought that was great and didn't expect to get more. But then getting to see him tear through those Rebel troops, one squad after another, displaying hsi mastery of both the blade and the Force, all while desperately attempting to reach the plans?!

View media item 2267519
That's what it's all about baby. You can definitely tell that the production team went all out on both of Vader's scenes. That second appearance in the hallway, with him being covered in literal darkness and then illuminating himself with his blood red blade was beautiful. I'd watch the film again just for that scene.

And really, I loved the action in this film. The final 20 minutes, when our heroes are attempting to get the Death Star Plans and send them off was all great, but even before that I was enjoying the action we were being given, starting from way back when Jyn met Cassian. This doesn't just go for the ground combat, but the space combat as well. Again, leagues better than the last film.

Every one of the characters that was gathered along the way got a chance to really shine, to the point that they stand out in my memory. Every character was also interesting in his own right, while the story still clearly focused on Jyn and Cassian. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Rey and I was bored to death by Finn. Poe was the most interesting of the lot and he had the least screen time :lol: That's not how it was this time around though. I was really invested in Jyn and seeing her go from not caring about the rebellion to trying to ignite that New Hope that everyone was waiting for. I liked how Cassian was used to show that yes, the Rebels are fighting agains the evil Empire, but they also do their own morally questionable things in order to get by. K-2SO is obviously the necessary droid that every group in this franchise needs at this point, but he wasn't necessarily too much like any of the other droids we've seen previously (Closest I could think of was HK-47 from the Kotor games). And his commentary brought some real humor to a dark film, without tearing me out of it. Chirrut and Baze are, of course, undeniable badasses, one a blind warrior monk and another carrying around a big *** gun that barely ever seems to miss. Even Bodhi, with his loveable quirkiness, was a pleasure to watch. In general, I think the new characters were handled well and presented in such a way that, as each of them died, you could have some real emotion seeing them cut down one after the other. The group was also well balanced in terms of personalities and roles they held.

I think it loses to Force Awakens in that, as much as I liked all of the characters we got, they weren't as well developed. And that's going to happen, because this film focuses on a wider cast than the previous one did (And characters like Han and Chewie had already been properly introduced and established decades ago). However, I liked the little this film did with more characters more than what The Force Awakens did with less characters. It attempts to tell you this one, crucial story, without any kind of setup beforehand, using a wide number of characters, and I think it pulls it off wonderfully.

Haven't read any reviews, so I don't know what anyone else's thoughts on the matter are, but I imagine some people are a little upset that everyone ended up dying. I'm not. Was it sad? Yes and the ability of the film to make it so is, again, a testament to the writing and acting. However, it makes sense. This was a suicide mission in every sense of the word and I think that the writers handled it well. Also easily aligns with the fact that, years down the line, none of these guys are anywhere to be seen. A little sad I won't be able to see them again, but with this film leading right into A New Hope, you've got Luke, Han, Leia, and the others to fill in the space afterwards. I'm sure that they'll put out various comics and novels covering how each character got to where they were at the start of this film anyways. More importantly than anything else, this film gave me that "Star Wars" feeling that I never really got from The Force Awakens, that feeling of being a kid and going to see The Phantom Menace with my dad or being a teenager and finally getting to see Anakin and Obi-Wan go at it on Mustafar, or of being 6 years old and watching an old wizard save a simple farmboy from some savage raiders. This film was great and I honestly can't wait to watch it again.

Also enjoyed the cameos. Vader, of course, Leia, R2 and Threepio, the mention of Wedge, etc.

This movie should've been titled "Hope" since Episode IV is called A New Hope. In fact.. Episode 4 should now be called "Keep Hope Alive" lol

Rogue 1 is the SW movie I was waiting for for 20 years! Top 3 definitely. I'd go:

ESB

ANH

R1

ROTJ

AOTC

TPM

TFA

ROTS,

but it's close to a tie for 2-nd/3-rd

I liked her a lot more than the girl in TFA. For some reason I never really liked the girl in that movie.

I don't love Rey either.

but if im just talking about charisma, Daisy Ridley has it, Felicity Jones has basically none.

Yeah, Felicity's probably in my top 5 beautiful women of all time list and she seems really cool in interviews but I'd be lying if I said Jyn Erso captivated me.

Where a lot of people walked out of TFA as Rey fans, I feel like she's not really in anybody's favorite character list. Cassian and Chirrut are the stand out surprises for me.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very nice shirt.
Dope shirt :smokin

Crazy how Luke's position in Red Squadron was opened up, huh?

Appreciate it fellas. Yeah, I felt bad for Luke's predecessor, but he went out fighting for a cause, so you can't ask for a much better death.

Good review. 

Catalyst definitely helped my viewing experience because of the time you get to spend with Galen, Lira, and Krennic, mostly. . .  

Thank you. I figured that that novel would enhance the experience itself. I'll probably watch the film again, in the near future, after I read the novel. Just got a 30% off coupon from Barnes and Noble, so i'll probably get that in the next day or two.

ESB
ROTJ
R1
ANH
ROTS
TFA
AOTC
TPM

The Phantom Menace shouldn't be anywhere but last place on everyone's list. :lol:

Last edited:
I was a little kid when I saw the phantom menance, so through a childs eyes it was flames.

Darth Maul + The dual of the fates more than make up for jar jar binks and the rest.

The pod race was and still is a joke and a waste of time.

Maul was the only thing in that film worth a ****, the rest is complete garbage.

I'd give anything for Disney to reboot the prequels. Please God let it happen someday.

SPOILER

Saw it again with my family... I legit laughed when Vader boarded the ship and started swangin' the lightsaber around LOL!!

Funnny i just watched the PH since TNT been airing Star Wars. That little kid was a trash actor :lol: wanted to slap him.

I liked her a lot more than the girl in TFA. For some reason I never really liked the girl in that movie.

I don't love Rey either.

but if im just talking about charisma, Daisy Ridley has it, Felicity Jones has basically none.

Yeah, Felicity's probably in my top 5 beautiful women of all time list and she seems really cool in interviews but I'd be lying if I said Jyn Erso captivated me.

Where a lot of people walked out of TFA as Rey fans, I feel like she's not really in anybody's favorite character list. Cassian and Chirrut are the stand out surprises for me.

Rey is a character that's going to connect more with young fans (especially young girls), because of where she's at in life during TFA. Jyn is going to connect more with the older audience (post-teen women).

Back
Top Bottom