Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yup, im def gonna need these dudes vs. Luke & his daughter in VIII. midas whale throw Finn into the mix too
kanye-crew.gif

Sorry, but you're wrong. Lucas used EU info in the prequels.
What does that have to do with my post? :lol:

I was talking about this current writing team using the EU books or not. Not Lucas.

Only thing I said about Lucas is that if he wanted to he could void w/e was established in the EU if he didn't like it which I don't see how you can disagree with given he owned all of it. That he used EU stuff for the PT clearly didn't change the outcome and I never said anything about why he decided to do another trilogy.
And stop dropping stupid *** quotes.
:smh:

“Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.”
I'm merely telling Zik his belief that Lucas ignored, or disproved of the EU is stupid, and ill informed.
Wow :lol: :smh: I literally never said this.

You're totally arguing with yourself here man

Zik thinks everything should be credited to Lucas, and dismisses any other outside input or influences.
Now you're outright lying about my stance :lol: This couldn't be more wrong. I'm on record of saying I enjoyed the Rebels cartoon and the clone wars stuff (granted I never did get to watch all). So how exactly have I been dismissing that?

I never read the EU books so how could I dismiss them? You couldn't find my "stance" on the EU cuz I have none.

I think you're just too sensitive cuz you're so attached to the EU. Anything said that you don't fully understand and immediately agree with gets attacked and you put your own spin on it. You don't want to look at all those books in your closet and face the realization that they don't matter. Ever since Lucasfilm ditched the EU and called it the now non-canon Legends you've been in a tailspin trying to reintegrate what happened there with your theories.

You're completely ignoring that my posts about the EU just now was that Lucasfilm shouldn't have said it wasn't canon but left it open so that they could adapt the stories if they want and change what they want :stoneface: Be careful with these wild tangents you're going on CP

“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”

Last edited:
But you right Zik, he'd completely ignore it altogether. :wink:
At this point of reading all of your consecutive posts addressing me about something I never said :lol: I gotta assume you're confused with who said what.

or you're really running with Lucas can ignore the EU if he wants to for Lucas did ignore the EU and everything in the PT was all him :smh:

Last edited:
You're just spinning everything now after I showed Lucas had used it plenty.

And you've said multiple times how everything belongs only to the creator, and you back his word/vision over anything else.

We've argued that multiple times.

But I showed you how he himself uses others' ideas for his work.

:lol: at tailspin and all that. I get why they wiped the slate clean. And I also get (after just a single film) how they'll still pick and choose pieces they want to use. Which is perfectly acceptable. I don't have to reintegrate anything, they're doing it for me. Me guessing on Rey is just that, me guessing. I have said, multiple times, she could be Luke's, I just don't think they'll go full layup, I think they'll try to "surprise" us again like other parts of the film.

That's me acknowledging the either/or, hell, I even bought at 2% she could be a Kenobi. :lol:

So spare me all your analysis on what I think or believe.

how did the EU work? did lucas films have to approve it or could anyone just write fan fiction and join in on the EU? 

You can't be serious. :lol:

Of course Lucasfilm had to approve it. You get sued otherwise man. :lol:
or once someone gets the okay can they just write anything?

or does lucas film have to approve all the plot points? 
Nah, there's somebody appointed in charge of quality control and then they hire authors to write the books.

Lucas probably had a loose awareness of what they did and had the power to just void it if he ever read any.

If he stuck to his original plans and did his sequel trilogy I'm pretty sure he'd just ignore the EU altogether.

Who wrote this post then? Who?

You're just spinning everything now after I showed Lucas had used it plenty.
No. I am not.

You're just lookinig for an opponent. A bad guy so you can have your EU arguments. That's not me.

If you read my posts in their entirety you'd see that.

What you claimed was my stance is something I literally never said. You must've got that confused with somebody else's post.

I don't give a **** if Lucas used EU plots and ideas in the PT. If you were paying attention to who I was talking to and what we were talking about you'd see it wasn't even about Lucas and the PT.

We was talking about the EU not being canon.

And you've said multiple times how everything belongs only to the creator, and you back his word/vision over anything else.

We've argued that multiple times.
I've just argued you're petty incessant and constant need to tear down Lucas any time the PT comes up. The disrespect and hatred is crazy.

It's childish. That's all I ever pointed out. I mean really man how many times do you think you've cursed Lucas and the PT in your life? :lol: Let it go.

That has nothing to do with the EU :lol: I never once dismissed those books or ever talked about them depth.

My stance about Lucas choosing to what he wants with his creation and that he shouldn't be beholden to entitled fans has nothing to do with books that Lucas himself allowed to be made in order for him to make more money. Nothing.

I will clarify if you think I've said "everything belongs only to the creator" multiple times I wasted my time arguing with you about that topic. Same for backing his word/vision over anything else. Along the way you confused me saying he has the right to do what he wants with his creation with him doing w/e he wants with his creation is the right thing but it's been clear for some time now you have a problem with creator rights. You got so much hate for dude you're willing to blatantly strip dude of any other accomplishments he's had.
But I showed you how he himself uses others' ideas for his work.
I don't care if he did.

:lol: at tailspin and all that. I get why they wiped the slate clean. And I also get (after just a single film) how they'll still pick and choose pieces they want to use. Which is perfectly acceptable. I don't have to reintegrate anything, they're doing it for me. Me guessing on Rey is just that, me guessing. I have said, multiple times, she could be Luke's, I just don't think they'll go full layup, I think they'll try to "surprise" us again like other parts of the film.
It's pretty clear you're desperate to have the EU be adapted in to movies. So much so you think that's already happening.

If you read my posts you'd see that I was saying the current Lucasfilm creative team should leave the door open to do that.

But no, you want to tell me that I'm dismissing anything not done by Lucas like I got some bias against things not done by him. None of that which is said in any of my posts but that's why I won't just let you tell it how it is.
how did the EU work? did lucas films have to approve it or could anyone just write fan fiction and join in on the EU?

You can't be serious. :lol:

Of course Lucasfilm had to approve it. You get sued otherwise man. :lol:
or once someone gets the okay can they just write anything?

or does lucas film have to approve all the plot points?
Nah, there's somebody appointed in charge of quality control and then they hire authors to write the books.

Lucas probably had a loose awareness of what they did and had the power to just void it if he ever read any.

If he stuck to his original plans and did his sequel trilogy I'm pretty sure he'd just ignore the EU altogether.

Who wrote this post then? Who?
I did.

Are you saying Lucas did not have that authority to void w/e he wanted? That there wasn't somebody in charge of quality control?

When I said Lucas had loose awareness, I'm talking about him not sitting down and reading every single EU book and okaying it. Are you saying that's what he spent his time doing?

As far as his original plans, look them up. I'm talking about his original plans post 77 before the EU existed. He wanted to do a whole movie with droids and a whole movie with wookies. He had his own plans for a sequel series. Of course he later changed those plans. That's what I'm talking about when I said he would've just ignored the EU altogether, you know IF he stuck to his original plans.

Instead of just assuming stuff about what I said, perhaps just ask me what I meant by what I said?

Don't tell me I have to slow down so you can keep up man.

Last edited:
It's official: J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the No. 1 grossing film of all time in North America, not accounting for inflation.

On Wednesday, the Disney and Lucasfilm mega-blockbuster is overtaking the $760.5 million earned by James Cameron's Avatar. Force Awakens — which grossed $8 million on Tuesday for a domestic total of $758.2 million — achieved the milestone in only 20 days in release, a remarkable feat.

Released in December 2009, Avatar grossed nearly $750 million in its original, seven-month run, plus another $10 million-plus when it was rereleased in theaters.

Thanks to Force Awakens, domestic revenue for 2015 was able to hit a record $11 billion at the last minute.

Globally, Force Awakens has a long way to go before eclipsing the $2.78 billion earned worldwide by Avatar, even as it does staggering business. Through Tuesday, its worldwide tally is $1.56 billion, and that doesn't include China, where Force Awakens lands on Jan. 9.

Overseas on Tuesday, Force Awakens earned $13 million for a foreign tally of $799.1 million.

Many box office observers suggest the Star Wars reboot will ultimately gross $2.2 billion to $2.4 billion worldwide, passing up Cameron's Titanic ($2.19 billion) to become the No. 2 film of all time, not accounting for inflation. Already, it's the No. 4 title.

Only two film have earned $700 million or more in North America; Avatar and Force Awakens.

I find it strange that Avatar was out for 7 months + a rerelease, but in 20 days, it's already surpassing Avatar numbers, and yet they expect it to fall short.

If Star Wars gets the same 7 months..........?

Is there some pull date or something we don't know about, it'll be out of theaters before March or something?

Granted, 2.5 billion and #2 all time is nothin to sneeze about, but why wouldn't the film get the same 5-6-7 month stretch in theaters to go for it all?

Either way, 20 days to become #1 all time in the US. :pimp:

:lol: Ok man, whatever you say.
Pretty much.

All you saw in that post was "ignore the EU" and ironically ignored "If he stuck to his original plans" part :lol: Keep in mind his original plans existed before the EU existed.

Whatever you say.

I just don't feel like dealing with someone that tells ME how to feel about a franchise I've followed daily for 25+ years. "let it go" and "I'm desperate" for things you literally have no idea about, so simply, whatever you say.

That's like me becoming a Knick fan and telling the rest of you hey, Starks wasn't really that bad that night, no need to feel any way about it.

Or hey, no shame in losing to the Bulls year after year, let me wear this Bulls hat, no prob.

Maybe later you can tell me how I should feel about the Cubs, or the Lakers, etc. Or hey, keep tellin me more about the EU, something you have no knowledge of, please, tell me more about it.

"whatever you say"

yes it will be out of theatres before april. movies hit dvd and on demand way early now

they should re release though with the deleted footage and label it a special edition and put it back in theatres

that would definately beat avatar

Who makes the call tho? Disney, or the theaters themselves?

Cuz I would think if Disney is getting close to the record, they wouldn't want it pulled, but I don't know if there's a percent that must be hit each week, or what.

It's funny, I follow box office numbers, but not how box offices work. Like I think Minions is still in theaters, but that's been out forever hasn't it? :lol:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned another $8 million yesterday, basically dead even with Monday’s $8m gross. This brings its domestic total to $758.2m and puts it within $2.5m of Avatar‘s all-time domestic grosses record, which means said record will fall sometime today, possibly as early as by the time you finish reading this post. So pop the champagne and unleash the balloons, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now the highest-grossing movie of all time in America. Impressive, most impressive, and this will indeed be a day long-remembered.

For the first time in 18 years, James Cameron does have not have title to himself. And for the first time in 40 years, James Cameron, George Lucas, or Steven Spielberg does not hold claim to said record. Although considering that Abrams was basically a student of Spielberg and Cameron and was inspired to be a filmmaker after seeing Star Wars, you might argue that “the circle is complete.” So where does it go from here?

If the film does (total spit balling here), another $14 million on Wednesday and Thursday and another over/under $50m weekend (the current record holder for the biggest fourth weekend is Avatar‘s $50m frame four), then it ends its 24th day with around $820m domestic. That means it will not just top Avatar‘s actual domestic gross today, but it will surpass, early in its fourth weekend, the $777 million”adjusted-for-inflation” gross of Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace from way back in 1999 (and of course its 2012 3D reissue). It should also become the first film to gross $800m in America sometime on Saturday, give or take the variables.

For those asking, the adjusted-for-inflation gross of Avatar is $836 million, which The Force Awakens will eventually surpass perhaps towards the end of next week. Where it goes from here is an open question, but a domestic total of over $938m puts it past Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to make it among the top-ten biggest “tickets sold” hits of all time in American theaters.

Obviously worldwide is an entirely different question, as it will probably have to settle for being the third or second-biggest global hit of all time, behind Cameron’s Titanic ($2.186 billion) and Cameron’s Avatar ($2.788b). The film has earned a whopping $1.557b worldwide thus far, including $799m overseas alone. Avatar is a presumably unreachable plateau at this point, as the film has thus-far been doing around 48/52 US/overseas business. So if it ends at around $2b worldwide without China, it would have to do an insane $788m in China alone (starting on Saturday), nearly double the current high for an American title (Furious 7 with $394m). Quite simply, we have no idea how well the film will play in what is the second-biggest theatrical market, as Star Wars has always been something of an American phenom. Apples to oranges of course, but I don’t exactly expect Monster Hunt to break any domestic box office records when it finally hits theaters on January 22nd. Of note, I’m absolutely dying to see that one.

Before we sign out for the day, a moment of acknowledgement that this record-breaking domestic run wasn’t anything resembling a foregone conclusion. Had the film not really delivered in an audio/visual and character-centric fashion, and had Walt Disney not done their marketing magic to make Star Wars not just an event again but a defining movie event even in a world filled with Star Wars-like blockbuster franchises, we wouldn’t be having this specific conversation. Oh sure, the film was always going to be a big hit, especially with that December release date, but a $247.8 million opening weekend and an over/under $900m domestic total means that the movie worked beyond the hardcore fans and beyond the opening weekend hype. The film delivered, the marketing made it a must-see event, and everything clicked into place.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been in American theaters for just 20 days, and J.J. Abrams, Walt Disney, and Lucasfilm have returned the series to the top of the box office mountain. They have created and marketed one of the most “seen in theaters” hits of all time in an era when movie theaters are no longer at the top of the entertainment food chain and movies no longer dominate the water cooler conversation. They have gotten countless older fans back on board after decades of indifference or discontent while hooking younger fans along for the ride. They have changed the conversation about what kind of actors and what kind of characters can headline said event films while proving that you can make a monster hit out of a known entity without spoiling the movie before its release date. Next time, I still dare them to do better.

its probably disney call but theaters wouldnt benefit with star wars taking up screen time if they have a bunch of new movies people want to see

dvd sales at that point will be worth more to disney

its pretty hard to achieve alot of theater sales as the weeks go by

thats why a special edition would pretty much put it over the top

ive never seen avatar. not sure what the big fuss is over that movie tho

Last edited:
View media item 1858225
It's weird. The top 10 all time, Cameron, Lucas, Nolan, Whedon all twice. 8 out of the top 10.

But Cameron is the only one to have 2 not in the same franchise. That's impressive as hell. Ha, and not even the franchise he's most known for either. :wow:

woah i had no idea he was behind so many blockbusters

i always get him confused with the fast times at ridgemont high writer lol

The other comments in this thread aren't wrong, BUT in most cases this is established by the distribution contract.
There are typically 3 branches to film production:

The production company/studio pays to create the product (the film)

The distributor pays to put that product in theaters, VOD, BluRay, etc.

The exhibition branch (theaters, netflix, iTunes, etc) displays the film to the public.

Now, in many cases, distribution for a large budget studio film will already be established before production even begins. Sometimes the studio even doubles as the distributor. In the cases of more independent films they rely on festivals which are used to entice distributors to see the marketable value in a product and broker a deal to get it out to the masses. Distribution deals will vary in terms of amount of time in cinemas, on demand, and usually come with an expiry date for hard copy (DVD and BluRay) distribution, where if the contract is for 5 years hard copy the distributor can make as many discs in that time as they want but must stop making them after that time, at which point the production branch can broker another distribution deal - this is why you get "collector's editions" and "special editions" of the same film every few years.

But theatrical length is a real toss-up depending on the film and initial distributor.

Source - I'm currently brokering distribution on my second feature-length doc.

It varies based on how big the theatre is and how well the movie does in that area. For example, the nearest theatre to me is very small, so movies that do not do well may only be there for a week or two. If a movie does good it might remain there for a month. To compare, there is a much larger theatre further away. In the larger theatre, movies that do not perform well in that are may be in for 4 weeks or so, while movies that do really good may be in the larger theatre for month and a half, maybe longer. So really it varies based on location performance.

Theaters in big cities well sometimes keep popular movies around for a very long time. This is due to the fact that the theater's share of each ticket price goes up as time goes by. For the major blockbusters a theater share the first week will often be only 10% of ticket price. As weeks go by a theater's share will keep rising so it makes sense to just move a movie to small screens but keep it around. The Hunger Games films and Divergent seemed to stay for an eternity. Some art films stay a long time even though the theater's share is much higher at the start. The art films that stay the longest seem to be women's films, films of books (the three girl with Swedish films for example), and films by some famous directors like Woody Allen.

Reddit gave a couple of glimpses, but nothing concrete. Sounds like it all just depends on market, company, box office, and theaters themselves.

So it could be pulled out of North Dakota next month, but stay in New York theaters thru April, I guess. Somethin like that?

Back
Top Bottom