Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jesus Christ what the **** are you talking about? You haven't read one sentence correctly. :lol:

Just never mind, Rey = Luke's daughter so you won't be confused. ****.

Are you talking to me :nerd:...

:lol: of course not.

Zik has confused himself with every post.
I'm reading what you're saying and it's not making sense.

Who takes Rey away? Why aren't they taking her to Leia or Han? Why doesn't Ben just take his sister right there and then?

Either way, what I said before still stands: If Leia doesn't know her daughter is alive then her hugging Rey first doesn't matter or mean anything. Maybe Leia just didn't want Chewy's wet fur on her right away after all of his crying.

Read this slowly.....

Han/Leia know she could be prime target.

They take her to a family at age 2-3 to protect her from ANY threat. Snoke, FO, some other threat we haven't met yet.

THAT family changes her name to help conceal her identity. THAT family comes under fire later, doesn't even have to be about Rey. Maybe they owe money to the mob, pick a reason. Make something up.

They are who Rey "thinks" is her family.

That family is killed. Han/Leia find out. They assume Rey has been killed with the family. They grieve.

Meanwhile, Rey is on Jakku, alive, the entire time. But reported as dead. No one knows. Not her, not Han, not Leia, not Luke, not Snoke, no one.

If you don't freaking grasp this this time, I'm blocking you. :lol:

From what I understand about those complaints it was marketing that fooled some ppl. They portrayed the black actor as a Jedi and as the main character in a lot of the promo and commercials. The rest was fighting in the air and nostalgia of Han and Chewy.
Did they market him as BEING a Jedi. Or did they just show him holding a lightsaber? I never saw anything that flat out implyied he was an actual Jedi.
People made assumption and hurt their own feelings as far as Im concerned. Like that dude that committed suicide when he found out there would be a black Jedi protagonist.
I dont feel sorry for that idiot just like Im not really buying this outrage from the "bait and switch"
Well I didn't know about that :lol:

But the promo and implication is enough. Of course ppl assumed.

I'm sure many ppl assumed Fury Road was gonna be about Mad Max.

I agree. Its a sensitive subject. But what about Jabba The Hut's slave girl that he fed to the Rancor like a doggie snack. Sure, she was green
Well I could stop you right there. Nobody gives a **** about green ppl or green aliens. Let Piccolo and those other green ************* post their outrage.

but if you reach enough one could make the case that it is another example of racism on film.
If she was a black chick or Native American chick painted green, maybe.

Thing is with this situation, there's a not A LOT of reaching needed once you have one or two examples of some questionable racially offensive stuff already being used. That's what really kicks off the snowball effect.

Point is, if you look hard enough there is ALWAYS something that someone can say is "racist" and be genuinely outraged about it.
Sure but that doesn't mean we should start ignoring the obvious racist stuff
Outraged about a movie but then completely ignore the current slave mentality that plagues our people everyday. In todays world.
Well this complaint depends solely on who you are talking to. This blanket generalization that we got ppl outraged about a movie but not about stuff going on with the world today won't fly with most ppl. A person can be outraged about both.

I say we should stop being outraged about things we can never change( like the fact that we WERE slaves) and start being (more) outraged about the things we can change.
That's all I was saying.
Well we aint living in that world b. History isn't just gonna be forgotten, racism and the plethora of ways it's been used and seeped in to all levels of society aint gonna just vanish and our memories of it as well.

You can't really tell most ppl what they can and can not be offended by nor can you dictate their outrage. It's an emotional response not synonymous with self control.

No doubt though that many ppl do see it your way when it comes to other things but if a few posters want to speak on what they feel is racist or offensive they can bring it to light.

but leia is the top position at the resistance, she should have more security than anyone in the galaxy

it would be like obama giving his daughter a new identity and making her grow up in Bali rather than just keeping her close and trusting the white house security 

literally right after her son turned evil and she regrets not keeping him close

She also commands an army of people with caretakers and medics on staff. 

Leia IS as prime of a target you can get, if the first order is america then Leia is Bin Ladin. It makes no sense for them to send her off to a random desert where she could die from falling into quicksand and they would never know.

Luke has no way of taking care of her himself since he's having some alone time, the mom is probably dead, so it makes sense for his character and what we already know about his character to drop rey off as a kid. 

the luke is rey's dad backstory takes 2 lines to explain and the audience would understand character motivations.

From what I understand about those complaints it was marketing that fooled some ppl. They portrayed the black actor as a Jedi and as the main character in a lot of the promo and commercials. The rest was fighting in the air and nostalgia of Han and Chewy.
Did they market him as BEING a Jedi. Or did they just show him holding a lightsaber? I never saw anything that flat out implyied he was an actual Jedi.
People made assumption and hurt their own feelings as far as Im concerned. Like that dude that committed suicide when he found out there would be a black Jedi protagonist.
I dont feel sorry for that idiot just like Im not really buying this outrage from the "bait and switch"
in one of the trailers when han says "its all true, the force, the jedi, all of it"

when he says "the jedi" it does cut to finn

but leia is the top position at the resistance, she should have more security than anyone in the galaxy

it would be like obama giving his daughter a new identity and making her grow up in Bali rather than just keeping her close and trusting the white house security 

Leia IS as prime of a target you can get, if the first order is america then Leia is Bin Ladin. It makes no sense for them to send her off to a random desert where she could die from falling into quicksand and they would never know.

Luke has no way of taking care of her himself since he's having some alone time, the mom is probably dead, so it makes sense for his character and what we already know about his character to drop rey off as a kid. 

the luke is rey's dad backstory takes 2 lines to explain and the audience would understand character motivations.

Where Leia goes, or where the White House is, makes a child a stationary target.

Hide a child on any one of a billion planets, lot harder to find that child.

She could hide the child even before Ben turns. He could still be training with Luke.

Luke needs alone time makes sense, but not protecting the Generals daughter? :lol:

Like I have said, they've left it open so it can swing either way. She could be a Skywalker, she could be a Solo, she could be a Kenobi. Rian will explain the truth one way or another in Ep 8.

But I assure you, its been done before already. Leia/Han hid their children on a remote, secret base. It's been done. It could be done again. Easily. I'm an idiot and have already given an outline on how to do it. They'd just have to flesh it out better than I did. Simple.

I have it
59% chance she is a Solo
39% chance she is a Skywalker
2% chance she is a Kenobi

We'll see what Rian Johnson does.

Jesus Christ what the **** are you talking about? You haven't read one sentence correctly. :lol:

Just never mind, Rey = Luke's daughter so you won't be confused. ****.

Are you talking to me :nerd:...

:lol: of course not.

Zik has confused himself with every post.
I'm reading what you're saying and it's not making sense.

Who takes Rey away? Why aren't they taking her to Leia or Han? Why doesn't Ben just take his sister right there and then?

Either way, what I said before still stands: If Leia doesn't know her daughter is alive then her hugging Rey first doesn't matter or mean anything. Maybe Leia just didn't want Chewy's wet fur on her right away after all of his crying.

Read this slowly.....

Han/Leia know she could be prime target.
I knew I didn't misread this.

I'm not buying this premise :lol:

To be fair, unless Leia is the worst mother/guardian in the world I'm not really buying Luke not sending Rey to stay with Leia if she is his daughter. The other option for that theory is Rey's mom sending her to live with her relatives on Jakku or wherever.

Back to me not buying the premise though, Han is a legend in the galaxy (going back to being a smuggler) but okay he lives a dangerous life. Leia though? She's the general of the Resistance. There's of places she could've hid Rey and still be a parent to her. That's not to say she isn't a target but to say she can provide the best protection while still raising the kid with a family. I don't see how sending her away solves anything especially when in your version they all die/abandon her anyway.

Also, I'm not sure there's much evidence Snoke would still be pursuing Rey as a child. Let her just grow up, see if she's force sensitive and tempt her to the dark side like he did with Ben.
They take her to a family at age 2-3 to protect her from ANY threat. Snoke, FO, some other threat we haven't met yet.
Again, why can't Leia or Han do this?

A family that can protect her daughter from any threat? Really?

THAT family changes her name to help conceal her identity. THAT family comes under fire later, doesn't even have to be about Rey. Maybe they owe money to the mob, pick a reason. Make something up.

They are who Rey "thinks" is her family.

Han/Leia find out. They assume Rey has been killed with the family. They grieve.
This is literally a tv drama's hr worth of material :lol: Maybe 2.

Plus the family Rey thinks is coming back for her isn't her real family at all. A red herring family? :lol: C'mon now They weren't actually you're family just the ppl we gave you to :smh:
That family is killed.
Damn, I guess they weren't good at protecting themselves :lol:

Meanwhile, Rey is on Jakku, alive, the entire time. But reported as dead. No one knows. Not her, not Han, not Leia, not Luke, not Snoke, no one.

If you don't freaking grasp this this time, I'm blocking you. :lol:
I grasped this all from the jump. Perhaps you weren't understanding the questions I was asking?

This is why I initially said it's convoluted. It requires far too much.

Anyway, sure Rian could take this and write it to all read much better. My thing is it's complete baseless speculation and I'm still not buying them sending their daughter away. I assume you're saying they do this after Ben goes bad cuz just out of the blue sending your daughter away cuz Snoke is leader of the FO makes even less sense.

You started talking about Leia hugging Rey, Rey piloting the MF, the whole Han father figure stuff. None of that matches up with Han and Leia stuff you just established with them thinking their daughter is dead. Those weren't subtle hints she's their daughter. That'd be such a reach.

I think the most important stuff overall is the storyteller's decision to have Rey finally meet her mom and dad and have none of them know they're family. Then have her brother kill the dad while nobody knows they're related. Like Leia felt Han's death in the movie. She doesn't sense her daughter? From a storytelling aspect it doesn't add up.

I'm going to go ahead and blame the prequels for this outrage about the movie being racist because Finn doesnt do enough in the movie

even though he is probably the most important person in the movie when it comes to accomplishing the end goal 
laugh.gif

what the prequels caused casual fans to think is that lightsabers = what makes people cool

so much outrage because Finn is not a jedi so he cant possibly be a hero anymore

in the original trilogy we had three people with lightsabers

luke and vader were cool, and their fights were great

obiwan was cool, but its not like kids wanted to be obiwan when playing star wars

on the other hand the movies were packed with SO many awesome, strong, great characters who are cool because of their characters and not lightsabers

Han is the coolest person in the universe, is awesome because of his personality and his blaster

Leia is the most iconic strong female character in cinematic history, is awesome because of her character and the decisions she makes

Chewie is very likeable, he is awesome because of his character a loyal friend.

Jabba the Hutt is a good villain, he is a good villain because of how he acts as a character and his actions

Boba Fett is an iconic villain. Doesnt really do anything but he's still cool because of the way he acts, and how his character is set up in the context of the story

Yoda, probably the most interesting character in the movies. A jedi master who doesnt have a lightsaber he is a great character because of his wisdom, playfulness and hidden power.

The emperor, pure evil. So much fun to watch this guy because he is always 45 steps ahead of everyone else, doesnt need a lightsaber because he doesnt need one to control everything. 

Now if you look at what makes cool characters in the prequels, its nothing to do with character.

Anakin, not at all a likeable character. Only time he's worth having on screen is when he's fighting with a lightsaber

Obiwan, another boring character but he's more likeable. Still, best scenes are when hes jumping around with a lightsaber

Mace Windu, useless character who makes stupid decisions. is only cool because he's sam jackson and has a purple lightsaber

Darth Maul, no character at all. impossible to describe this character without "double bladed saber" being in the first sentence. His lightsaber is literally his character.

Doku, no character at all. Needed to give him a unique lightsaber handle to make him stand out.

General Grevous, this is when they figured out how to make lazy starwars movies. who cares about character, just take random cgi garbage and throw a bunch of lightsabers on him.

Yoda, none of the playfulness of the character we know and love. one of the most boring characters in a bunch of movies full of boring characters. only exciting moment is when he pulls out a lightsaber which totally contradicts his character. But we dont need character development, we need lightsabers!

Palp, probably the only interesting and fun character in the prequels. Some how he needed a "jedi's weapon" too because thats what makes likeable characters.

People who grew up on the prequels are stuck in a mindset that lightsabers are what make characters cool in starwars movies, rather than character traits. Finn not being a jedi is not the end of the world, most of the best star wars characters never touch a lightsaber. He can still be a hero in other, more important ways than swinging around a CGI sword.

Where Leia goes, or where the White House is, makes a child a stationary target.

She could hide the child even before Ben turns. He could still be training with Luke.

Luke needs alone time makes sense, but not protecting the Generals daughter?
laugh.gif

Like I have said, they've left it open so it can swing either way. She could be a Skywalker, she could be a Solo, she could be a Kenobi. Rian will explain the truth one way or another in Ep 8.

But I assure you, its been done before already. Leia/Han hid their children on a remote, secret base. It's been done. It could be done again. Easily. I'm an idiot and have already given an outline on how to do it. They'd just have to flesh it out better than I did. Simple.

I have it
59% chance she is a Solo

why do you think it's not luke's kid?

why do you think having her be han's kid makes for a better story?

also keep in mind that most fans dont care about all the books, comics and tv shows

part of making a good trilogy is for it to be a self contained story, it has to make sense without needing the audience to read extra material to understand backstory

The gripes about racism are very understandable. I'm sure it wasn't JJ's intent, however the whole bait and switch advertising may have a lot to do with the sour taste in some folks' mouths. I think that plays the biggest part in it. My only thing is that Finn is not the punk some think he is and being the first in a trilogy, I'm sure his character arc will be fleshed out more and we won't think of him as a ***** by Episode IX.

its just ridiculous that people think finn is a weak character. 

like just because he doesnt get to hold a lightsaber he cant be great

bait and switches happen all the time in movies, its not racist just because it happens to be a black actor involved 

Luke needs alone time makes sense, but not protecting the Generals daughter? :lol:

I have it

59% chance she is a Solo

Because of the Jacen/Kylo parallel.

Because Brother/Sister square off >>>> cousins squaring off.

Because of the Father you never had, trust me he woulda let you down, comment by Kylo.

Because JJ okie doked us with Finn not being a Jedi, and Rey was the one.
Or selling us that Phasma was gonna be bad ***, but she wasn't.

But he's just gonna lob this one up, on easy street? No misdirection on this one? Just straightforward he's your dad?

Naw.

Makes just as much sense for her to be a Solo as it does a Skywalker. And we already have the (scrapped) blueprint.

Rey = Jaina
Ben = Jacen

If it was soooooooooooo easy, slamdunk Luke is daddy, why didn't they flat out say it? Why stretch it into the second film? They kept it open for a reason. Finishing the layup is not great drama, I believe there's more to it.

We'll see what Rian does.

BTW, reports comin in, TFA near 550 mil domestic after ten days. :wow:

I might get Jaina/Rey wrong, but I'm getting 1 billion domestic, 3 billion worldwide right on the money. :lol:

It might beat Avatar in 3 full weeks. Just absurd.

The theater was PACKED today, every showing was sold out. Snack bar was six lines deep, out the door. And they had 4-5 showings going at a time. I walked out and multiple screens were lined up. This **** is crazy.

Sunshine: Star Wars is just a lesser Star Trek ripoff. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The non force user using a light sabre did throw me off but for different reasons. Again, not a huge star wars guy but I always thought you had to have the force to even activate the sabre. I vaguely remember a character from a previous film trying and failing to use a light sabre because he didn't have the force. That close up shot of kylo pushing a little button to turn on his light sabre was hella lame to me :lol:

As far as the slave parallels, yes I can see that. But slaves are a part of that universe.
Nobody was up in arms about Fett's clones being slaves, or all the other white slaves on other planets in the galaxy.
Nope. Just when we see ONE black character.
The whole looking for racism in everything rap is tired AF.

I'll be frank to start off, nobody gives a **** about white ppl being depicted as slaves in movies like that. That's just a fact.

When black ppl complain about similarities to slavery in media and portrayals that harken back to black ppl simple minded ******* who are oafs and goofballs you're gonna get an equal reaction and real outrage. Racism is still a sensitive topic and it isn't treated with kiddie gloves. That **** will be dragged out on front street in broad daylight.

It's not that slavery exists in the SW universe, it's that a sambo slave narrative like the runaway slave was applied to a black character.

So it's obvious as day why black ppl in the real world, would feel some type of way about ONE black character being portrayed in this manner in the movie.

I'm not sure if people are understanding that the entertainment/media industry in America has ALWAYS been INCREDIBLY racist, explicit and deliberate brainwashing/mind control adolf hitler Nazi Germany type propaganda and that's no exaggeration. Nowadays it's just more subtle. So you have to excuse folks if they come across as suspicious or over sensitive. That said, I'm personally not upset over the finn character. I try to look at things in isolation for their own merit and I said earlier that if finn was white I wouldn't care so I'm not gonna trip because he's black. Slavery is not inherently a black thing but there were lines in the movie that indicated to me at least that finn was black or otherwise unique from others and not just some ambiguous character. The scene where they are acting confused about how he looks, not even sure if that works with a white actor in his place. "Droid please"....like c'mon :lol:. Again I'm not tripping but you can't just dismiss it as reaching.

Luke needs alone time makes sense, but not protecting the Generals daughter?
laugh.gif

I have it

59% chance she is a Solo

Because of the Jacen/Kylo parallel.

Because Brother/Sister square off >>>> cousins squaring off.

Because of the Father you never had, trust me he woulda let you down, comment by Kylo.

Because JJ okie doked us with Finn not being a Jedi, and Rey was the one.
Or selling us that Phasma was gonna be bad ***, but she wasn't.

But he's just gonna lob this one up, on easy street? No misdirection on this one? Just straightforward he's your dad?

Naw.

Makes just as much sense for her to be a Solo as it does a Skywalker. And we already have the (scrapped) blueprint.

Rey = Jaina
Ben = Jacen

If it was soooooooooooo easy, slamdunk Luke is daddy, why didn't they flat out say it? Why stretch it into the second film? They kept it open for a reason. Finishing the layup is not great drama, I believe there's more to it.

We'll see what Rian does.
This is not the extended universe. They take bits and pieces but other than that it makes the most sense both in star wars and as a screenplay to make the story as simple as possible.

the difference between a brother and sister squaring off and cousins squaring off is marginal. If they didnt show much of a history in episode 7 they are not suddenly going to start talking about how they used to share the same bathroom as kids in episode 8. their relationship has already been established and it will grow from there.

the difference between luke training his daughter and him training his niece is huge. the exposition we get from luke is going to be so much more impactful if he was behind it all rather than "well my sister did this to you". Father training his daughter to be a jedi is great story telling, and when Rey fights Kylo and the first order is a cool dynamic that she is protecting her dad.

Having a twist for the sake of having a twist is lazy screenwriting. Rey being the jedi makes sense because this is the skywalker story. Vader being Luke's dad makes sense because it adds a whole new dynamic than just good guy needs to beat bad guy. Phasma is set up to be a bad *** in the long run, she just didnt get to shine in this movie, that's hardly a twist by JJ more just Disney trying to sell more toys. 

It just doesnt make story sense for her to be Han's kid, it is way too complicated and requires the audience to need to read up on a complex backstory to fully understand why things happened the way they did. That is also lazy screen writing, show not tell. 

literally the only reason there is to think she's not Luke's kid is because it's too obvious. This is a simple story about a family and sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. Twists dont make good stories, characters and plots do. 

The non force user using a light sabre did throw me off but for different reasons. Again, not a huge star wars guy but I always thought you had to have the force to even activate the sabre. I vaguely remember a character from a previous film trying and failing to use a light sabre because he didn't have the force. That close up shot of kylo pushing a little button to turn on his light sabre was hella lame to me
laugh.gif

As far as the slave parallels, yes I can see that. But slaves are a part of that universe.
Nobody was up in arms about Fett's clones being slaves, or all the other white slaves on other planets in the galaxy.
Nope. Just when we see ONE black character.
The whole looking for racism in everything rap is tired AF.
I'll be frank to start off, nobody gives a **** about white ppl being depicted as slaves in movies like that. That's just a fact.

When black ppl complain about similarities to slavery in media and portrayals that harken back to black ppl simple minded ******* who are oafs and goofballs you're gonna get an equal reaction and real outrage. Racism is still a sensitive topic and it isn't treated with kiddie gloves. That **** will be dragged out on front street in broad daylight.

It's not that slavery exists in the SW universe, it's that a sambo slave narrative like the runaway slave was applied to a black character.

So it's obvious as day why black ppl in the real world, would feel some type of way about ONE black character being portrayed in this manner in the movie.
I'm not sure if people are understanding that the entertainment/media industry in America has ALWAYS been INCREDIBLY racist, explicit and deliberate brainwashing/mind control adolf hitler Nazi Germany type propaganda and that's no exaggeration. Nowadays it's just more subtle. So you have to excuse folks if they come across as suspicious or over sensitive. That said, I'm personally not upset over the finn character. I try to look at things in isolation for their own merit and I said earlier that if finn was white I wouldn't care so I'm not gonna trip because he's black. Slavery is not inherently a black thing but there were lines in the movie that indicated to me at least that finn was black or otherwise unique from others and not just some ambiguous character. The scene where they are acting confused about how he looks, not even sure if that works with a white actor in his place. "Droid please"....like c'mon
laugh.gif
. Again I'm not tripping but you can't just dismiss it as reaching.
In Empire Strikes Back Han uses lukes lightsaber

My issue with this race thing is that Finn is NOT a weak character by any means and to think that not being a jedi means he cant be cool or a role model to kids just shows a lack of understanding of what makes the original movies so great and why to this day fans are so crazy about this fantasy universe. 

It's not complicated at all to be a Solo kid. It took them a minute to "explain" Kylo being a Solo. One. Minute.

We didn't dive into why he turned, how he turned, why they were bad parents, why Luke didn't stop him, how old was he, how he got Vader's helmet, who the Ren are, we got NONE of that.

They could explain Rey's situation in 10 seconds.

In Empire they gave us ZERO hints that Vader was daddy. None. In 4 seconds the whole franchise changed. In fact, THAT was changed after the fact. Prowse read "Obi Wan killed your father", and Hamill reacted to that dialogue. Lucas then had James Earl Jones dub "I am your father" afterwards.

Explaining Rey is a Solo is just as simple as explaining Rey is a Skywalker. No difference.

Luke training his daughter, or niece is less impactful to Kylo facing his sister, rather than cousin.

Also, Empire introduced Yoda, Fett, Emporer, and Lando. 4 legendary characters. We'll get even more pieces in the next film. See what Rian cooks up for us. (And how they keep it secret from the web :lol: )

Rey's parents are probably nobody important they left her & their not coming back the whole point is to show her journey is in front of her maybe she'll become a skywalker & be adopted by Luke she doesn't have to be related to anybody important to be incredibly strong in the force just like force users don't stop being born just cause the Jedi order is gone people can be gifted in the force

kylo was easy because everything beforehand was off screen

they explain it, oh it happened off screen but i guess thats how it went, next scene

now they need to explain everything that happened off screen, AND how it makes sense with what we have seen on screen which is

leia and han not mentioning their daughter at all even though leia knows who she is at the end

kylo not remembering that he had a sister, not mentioning it at all

han not being able to identify his own daughter

han and leia not keeping an eye on their daughter that they sent away at a young age

rey who has shown that she has spent her entire life waiting for her family hugs he mom once and goes off to find her uncle???

its near impossible to have rey be han and leia's kid without making han and leia's actions and interactions feel stupid or careless. 

there is nothing wrong with introducing NEW characters, it adds to the story and creates more interesting interactions

backstory about people who took rey then died is not a NEW character, its exposition. It adds nothing to the story and just confuses audiences.

you had to type up a 5 step process and no one in here thinks it makes sense. how is that as easy as "luke had to go do jedi things so he dropped his kid off to keep her safe" which would not create any inconsistencies in how characters interacted in episode 7.

Back
Top Bottom