Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's funny that there's really never any problem if a franchise has multiple movies with a male protagonist.

not really funny just star wars has always had a male lead

you wont see the hunger games have a male lead
Eh, to be specific, Star Wars has always had a Skywalker as the lead. So if those Rey theories pan out nothing will have changed.

And I think the Hunger Games suck but with that said they're doing prequels I hear and maybe spinoffs too :lol: I would not be surprised with JLaw most likely moving on that they get a male lead for one or both.

I never looked at Star Wars as some male protagonist movie franchise and Hunger Games hasn't been around long enough for me to think of it solely as some female led movie franchise. The plot of the story simply doesn't support that.

I feel it's more the culture than anything. People are use to the male domination in movies. Just off quantity it out numbers and over shadows all quality female led films.

They balanced Finn and Rey real well in this movie. So much so that I feel Finn was the audience's perspective (for first time watchers). Rey saved the day in the end but didn't capture attention. It won't really factor in for me if the lead of Rogue One is also female.
with the switch disney is trying to capitalize off that hunger games fanbase
I highly doubt this.

And it's Lucasfilm not Disney making these decisions. Just cuz Disney bought them doesn't mean they came in making changes and decrees based off capitalizing off other movie franchises success. If that were the case the movie would be straight up cgi to be like Avatar. The force would be depicted like superhero power to benefit from the superhero movie success. And so on and so forth.

It's Kathleen Kennedy (pres of Lucasfilm) that said she's making the effort to focus on the women going forward.

i must admit seeing a female pilot in an xwing and engage in battle was quite a cuture shock considering the previous 6 films never had a female pilot in battle

and they really made phasma look weak. i was expecting some bad ***
It didn't phase me but there's the contrast and comparisons.

Female pilot was a culture shock for you but Phasma go severely underused.

I'm curious to see if Felicity Jones can steal back the title of "adorable British girl I would marry" from Ridley. I've been a fan of Jones for awhile so I was thrilled to see her cast in Rogue one.
I am a HUGE fan of what they did in TFA and the character of Rey

but making two straight movies with a girl protagonist kind of makes me want Finn to have been the main character
It's funny that there's really never any problem if a franchise has multiple movies with a male protagonist.
Yeah, I realised my issue was more about the race than the gender which is why i said I wanted a non-white lead for rebel one rather than a black man. 

I just like variety in movie leads, especially in these spinoff movies which are a great way to explore unique lead characters rather than the same super talented action hero man. 

Could be two totally different and great characters but from the casting, it seems like the rebel one's lead is going to share a lot of simularities with rey 

I get what you saying. I wasn't even calling you out, just kinda highlighting a lot of ppl think that way and I did too.

I then just started asking myself does so and so need to be _______.

It's especially more topical that the push for minority groups whether it's race or gender or sexuality is going on right now and is affecting Hollywood.

not really funny just star wars has always had a male lead

you wont see the hunger games have a male lead
Eh, to be specific, Star Wars has always had a Skywalker as the lead. So if those Rey theories pan out nothing will have changed.

And I think the Hunger Games suck but with that said they're doing prequels I hear and maybe spinoffs too
laugh.gif
I would not be surprised with JLaw most likely moving on that they get a male lead for one or both.

I never looked at Star Wars as some male protagonist movie franchise and Hunger Games hasn't been around long enough for me to think of it solely as some female led movie franchise. The plot of the story simply doesn't support that.

I feel it's more the culture than anything. People are use to the male domination in movies. Just off quantity it out numbers and over shadows all quality female led films.

They balanced Finn and Rey real well in this movie. So much so that I feel Finn was the audience's perspective (for first time watchers). Rey saved the day in the end but didn't capture attention. It won't really factor in for me if the lead of Rogue One is also female.
Well Leia in the original trilogy is a great strong female character and might be the most iconic strong female character of all time. 

It's a strange dynamic in hollywood because it's so male dominant that any action movie with a female protagonist is seen as the writers trying to promote gender equality and not just simply that a girl works best for the character.

I would argue that Finn saves the day, he knows how to shut the shields down which results in a chain of events that leads to poe blowing everything up. All Rey did was save Finn who was pretty much already dead, but the fight with Kylo had no effect at all on saving the rebel planet from starkiller base and blowing up the planet so Rey really only saved a guy who was already half dead. 

I get what you saying. I wasn't even calling you out, just kinda highlighting a lot of ppl think that way and I did too.

I then just started asking myself does so and so need to be _______.

It's especially more topical that the push for minority groups whether it's race or gender or sexuality is going on right now and is affecting Hollywood.
i mean it would be a nice thing to see

but at the end of the day, my level of enjoyment would be the exact same if it was a likeable white male or a likeable black female playing the lead

its interesting to talk about before and after the movie comes out but once I'm sitting down and watching it on the big screen I just care about likeable characters and story, not race or gender. 

Variety have revealed that Harrison Ford is the film's biggest earner by some distance, netting himself an eight figure sum that is estimated to be somewhere in the $10 million to $20 million range. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, the other two main stars from the original trilogy, were both paid in the "low-seven-figure range."

Elsewhere, supporting actors Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac received "mid-to-high-six figures," while the movie's two young stars, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, were both paid between $100,000 and $300,000.

:smh:

I knew Boyega and Ridley wouldn't get paid much but this is just highway robbery. I know they'll make it up in later movies but still

Last edited:

I knew Boyega and Ridley wouldn't get paid much but this is just highway robbery. I know they'll make it up in later movies but still

I mean there are both new actors, how could they demand a high salary?
I hope they get more the following few movies but low six figures and instant star status is like winning the lottery for someone as young and inexperienced as daisy Ridley

I'm curious to see if Felicity Jones can steal back the title of "adorable British girl I would marry" from Ridley. I've been a fan of Jones for awhile so I was thrilled to see her cast in Rogue one.

but making two straight movies with a girl protagonist kind of makes me want Finn to have been the main character

or a better idea would be for a black actor to lead rogue one since I do agree that the core story should stay with the skywalker family 

I feel the same way, I liked Rey as the main protagonist in TFA, but as a character she doesn't really interest me like Finn and Poe. I don't think it's because she is a girl, but because her background story isn't as cool to me as a former Stormtrooper turned Resistance hero or a really gifted pilot that is more charismatic. To be honest, I would prefer Rey and Finn get equal screen time and to reunite in the future and work as a tandem, but if it comes down to it if rather see Fin or Poe be the main protagonist in the next film. My money is on more Rey though

Last edited:
Saw my second viewing in IMAX 2D in a dome theater. **** was seriously amazing and more immersive than even imax 3d.

or a better idea would be for a black actor to lead rogue one since I do agree that the core story should stay with the skywalker family 
I feel the same way, I liked Rey as the main protagonist in TFA, but as a character she doesn't really interest me like Finn and Poe. I don't think it's because she is a girl, but because her background story isn't as cool to me as a former Stormtrooper turned Resistance hero or a really gifted pilot that is more charismatic. To be honest, I would prefer Rey and Finn get equal screen time and to reunite in the future and work as a tandem, but if it comes down to it if rather see Fin or Poe be the main protagonist in the next film. My money is on more Rey though
Finn had way more to his character and was more fun. I liked Rey more but that might be just because she's a prime AWG 
embarassed.gif
. A lot of what makes Rey so interesting as a character is what they dont tell you in the movie.

its just so silly and dumb for the most backstabbing, lacking of moral barometers, untrustworthy people in the universe to have a rule as strict as the rule of 2 

Variety have revealed that Harrison Ford is the film's biggest earner by some distance, netting himself an eight figure sum that is estimated to be somewhere in the $10 million to $20 million range. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, the other two main stars from the original trilogy, were both paid in the "low-seven-figure range."

Elsewhere, supporting actors Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac received "mid-to-high-six figures," while the movie's two young stars, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, were both paid between $100,000 and $300,000.

That's kinda standard I think. Shia got 300k for the first transformers movie and didn't Chris Evans only get 300k for the first captain America

You gotta have clout and be a proven draw to get the big bucks from a company like Disney. Ridley is pretty much new and while Boyega has done some films he's not a "star" by any means

mean.gif

There's a reason why they use lesser/no-name actors for these main roles. They don't have to pay them as much.

There's a reason why they use lesser/no-name actors for these main roles. They don't have to pay them as much.

They have been given easy income for life as well. The worst thing that could happen to them now professionally is they hit the con circuit making appearances the rest of thier lives.

mean.gif

nah, they used them because they were the best talent for the part

this is a 200 mil budget movie, if they thought a more established actor was better for the role they would have gotten that actor even if it cost them an extra mil 

The point is Disney will he caking off star wars for a long time and like every movie studio they wanna give crumbs to actors. All actors get shafted except the main star.

they are getting paid exactly what they deserve for their first big movie. No one is getting shafted. 

Boyega and Ridley's salary for this movie kinda makes sense. I'm sure that they'll make a lot more for the next two films.

Mark Hamill made how much for this movie!? 
eek.gif
 Had to have been the easiest 7 figures made in movie history. 

Last edited:
I'd work for free if I could get the chance to star in a highly successful movie, gain millions of fans overnight, and for the chance to get pizzaid for future movies.

Ridley and Boyega will get their due compensation eventually lol. If they are still earning peanuts down the line, then we can talk about them getting shafted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom