(Spoilers) ASOIAF Books Discussion (All Books Read Edition) (Spoilers)

I've posted a few times how rhaegar was talked about in high regard but all this trouble started over his mistress. He had some kingsguard protecting her and their kid while his wife and two other kids got murked.

Well Aerys and whatever Kingsguard (Jamie, obviously lol) were with him in Kings Landing, with, I'm sure, a strong portion of the Gold Cloaks and some Targ forces. So it's not like he left them there with no defense.

I've heard good things about Assassin's Apprentice.

And Dark Tower though I'm sure some can elaborate and correct.

And yes Tdogg I agree Aerys is in the running as the potential father.

I'm reading the Dark Tower series now, it started off kinda slow in the first book, but I'm on the fourth and it's getting pretty good. I'm excited for the coming movie.

Last edited:
Is polygamy recognized as something official in the first place?

It doesn't seem like a stronger argument that Rhaegar let his wife and children die to protect Lyanna who he was secretly married to and their yet to be born child :lol:

Just makes him to be a scumbag ******* that chose one family over another. Sours the whole idea that he was so in love with Lyanna that he married her and Jon is a product of love, somehow not a bastard or should take the name Targareyn.

Last edited:
Some people have favorites among their kids. I guess the same would be true if you have a few wives.

Is polygamy recognized as something official in the first place?

It doesn't seem like a stronger argument that Rhaegar let his wife and children die to protect Lyanna who he was secretly married to and their yet to be born child
laugh.gif

Just makes him to be a scumbag ******* that chose one family over another. Sours the whole idea that he was so in love with Lyanna that he married her and Jon is a product of love, somehow not a bastard or should take the name Targareyn.
There have been Targs in the past that have taken multiple wives. 

Also Rhaegar didn't let his wife and kids die. They were at KL....with the rest of the KG. How much more protection could he have given Elia and their children? Rhaegar only sent three to protect Lyanna and his child. 

Edit: Not KG, but city watch or whatever. 

Last edited:
Didn't he send one of the best swordsman to protect Lyanna though?

I admittedly need to refresh my mind on what I have read. I stopped reading the books once I saw how long it's taking for this new one to come out. I hate delays.

I admittedly need to refresh my mind on what I have read. I stopped reading the books once I saw how long it's taking for this new one to come out. I hate delays.

Yeah he sent his best friend Arthur Dayne

Ya he sent his friend and the best swordsman to protect Lyanna, but in Rhaegar's defense KL was pretty safe and I think Aery's might have been ok for a bit longer if he wasn't tricked into opening the gates to let Twyin in. KL isn't that easy to siege. Rhaegar wasn't a complete dead beat 
laugh.gif

If they are going to make this truly an integral part of the story they have to cast Rhaegar next season ..him being the father holds no weight right now in the eyes of the viewer

They would have had someone and it would have been more clear to the viewer provided they did the House of the Undying correctly but they didn't :smh:

Last edited:
So, in this article, the producers of the show talk about three "holy sh---" moments that were revealed to them by GRRM:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/24/george-rr-martin-3-twists-game-thrones

two of them have already been revealed: Stannis burns Shireen, and Hodor holds the door (too soon). There's a third that won't be revealed until "the very end".

That third shocker will not be R+L=J, since it was revealed in the season finale for season 6.

So, what do you think the last holy sh-- moment will be? Statue of Liberty half-buried in the sands of Sothyros? Lamprey pie is people? Brienne of Tarth was a ghost the whole time?

I doubt HBO would reveal too many spoilers.

Me personally, I don't think he's a bastard. Considering how most fathers treat their bastards in Westeros, why would Rhaegar send 3 members of the Kingsguard to protect his bastard?
He believed that the Prince that was promised would be born of his line. So this baby (Jon) was important regardless of whether he was a bastard or not. He had 2 kids already but believed that he needed a 3rd since the dragon has 3 heads. Elia Martell could no longer have babies so thats probably why he looked elsewhere. Hope the book sheds some more light on Rhaegar and the prophecies he believed in.

kinda funny how some ran in here with that chart saying it was all fact 100% blah blah blah. where the site says by our estimates this is how things are turning out. (so yes it may be due to what people saw on the show) but does not reflect what happend as far as book cannon.
Anyway no need for me to harp on that portion of the talks.

He believed that the Prince that was promised would be born of his line. So this baby (Jon) was important regardless of whether he was a bastard or not. He had 2 kids already but believed that he needed a 3rd since the dragon has 3 heads. Elia Martell could no longer have babies so thats probably why he looked elsewhere. Hope the book sheds some more light on Rhaegar and the prophecies he believed in

And here is where you R+L supporters are not only misreading but interrupting things to fit the R+L= J.

Rhaegar did not believe it was his personal line as in HIS children.

this is what we know (this is from the book)
Ser Barristan went on. “I saw your father and your mother wed as well. Forgive me, but there was no fondness there, and the realm paid dearly for that, my queen.” “Why did they wed if they did not love each other?”“Your grandsire commanded it. A woods witch had told him that the prince was promised would be born of their line.”“A woods witch?” Dany was astonished. “She came to court with Jenny of Oldstones. A stunted thing, grotesque to look upon. A dwarf, most people said, though dear to Lady Jenny, who always claimed that she was one of the children of the forest.”“What became of her?”“Summerhall.” The word was fraught with doom.Dany sighed. “Leave me now. I am very weary.”
Grand sire for those who don't know would be Jahaerys
"their line" is referring to Aerys & Rhaella.

So a lot of what people are using for R+L. Can very well be (more) interpreted for A+L since this is who Selmy was referring too.

Which is why my Rhaegar knew what he was doing at the tourney theory shouldn't be so shocking..

^ nah the HBO making of site posted that chart as canon. The original post said something like "still confused after last nights finale? Here's what t all means:"

Now it may have just been a renegade social media coordinator but they definitely posted that as show canon. If that has implications on the books depends on how you interpret and perceive things the D's said they've talked with George about.

Last edited:
For some reason i thought Rhaegar was the one who thought the prince would be born of his line but yea your correct it is of Aerys and Rhaellas line. I still believe R+L=J whether he is the prince that was promised or not.

audio books.
both my rereads were the audio books.

i like the guys narrating. .and he adlibs which makes its better

I give up believing the book will release. It'll be real when it's actually in stores for me to purchase.

Back
Top Bottom