SOCCER/FUTBOL/FOOTBALL FOOTWEAR, KITS & GEAR - 2020/21

Had these growing up (was a big Michael Owen fan). I remember the sales pitch being that the studs let you spin (they were called the Enigma Spin RG). They put the studs in a circular pattern so you could plant and spin efficiently. This was 1999? i think

umb-863200.m09-main.jpg

Lotto made rotating studs like 15-20 years ago. They made laceless boots way back when too.

Anyone remember when Kelme made sharkskin boots? lol They looked kinda cool.

I’ll try them at a steep discount, but I’m definitely hoping to add at least 1-2 more pairs of Legend 9’s to the vault before the prices get too crazy

Yup I'm sitting on the weird white/blue/pink colorway that should be arriving from soccer.com in September and then the montebelluna ones, along with a couple pair of Premier's. Hoping those last me until I hang them up in five years. New Legends looking like a takedown model smh.

J Mike seemed to like the new tiempos. Still think it would have been a better marketing move for Nike to rename this boot. Tiempo and K-leather are almost synonymous. Why not call this a Tiempo elite. Or something stupid and mention how its lighter and uses sythetic. Then still keep the tiempo line with k-leather. I know the leather ban is in place for some states but is it really not scalable to cut back on production and still maintain a good profit margin to make it worth it? (i probably answered my own question)

still waiting for a phantom gx to pop up in AG in a 10.5 or 11 :/

I would argue they are moving away because of cost cutting. Synthetics are cheaper to produce.

Kangaroos are considered pests in Australia. They aren't farmed. They are still going to be killed and the ban on leather means the hides will go to waste.

The Tiempo/Premier line is probably a fraction of a percentage of the revenue Nike makes from soccer apparel, I doubt they would do all this to save on a few boots. It’s a PR thing imo, earn some brownie points with the politicians and environmentalists

Yeah, 10-15 years ago when the Tiempo (and its ilk) had a much greater marketshare, I don't think any company would have considered this. As those relative sales to their primary products have decreased (see the surge in knit sock boots, vastly improved synthetics, etc), they have more wiggle room to do away with lagging leather boot sales while spinning it as finally grafting onto the environmentalist/animal rights position.

I mean, who ACTUALLY plays in tiempos anymore by choice? You'll see VVD and Tonali on pitch b/c they're sponsored, but among rank and file pros and amateurs everyone is wearing synthetic boots.

Yeah, 10-15 years ago when the Tiempo (and its ilk) had a much greater marketshare, I don't think any company would have considered this. As those relative sales to their primary products have decreased (see the surge in knit sock boots, vastly improved synthetics, etc), they have more wiggle room to do away with lagging leather boot sales while spinning it as finally grafting onto the environmentalist/animal rights position.

I mean, who ACTUALLY plays in tiempos anymore by choice? You'll see VVD and Tonali on pitch b/c they're sponsored, but among rank and file pros and amateurs everyone is wearing synthetic boots.

I wear Tiempos damnit, I am a somebody amateur! :lol:

I wear them too, but you and I are the last of a dying breed. Next gen won’t even think of leather boots

Gonna have to start looking at Mizuno/ASICS to get our fix :smh: Idk where you even buy ASICS from

I wear them too, but you and I are the last of a dying breed. Next gen won’t even think of leather boots

Gonna have to start looking at Mizuno/ASICS to get our fix :smh: Idk where you even buy ASICS from

Yeah, I already have a pair of the MIJ. Gonna be weird when leather boots are really a thing of the past. Looking at reviews for the ones adidas are putting out using calf skin don't look great either as far as durability. I'm still rocking my TL6 AG on the regular. They have a little bit of sole plate separation in some areas but other than that the leather is in pretty solid condition.

Last edited:

Leather boots have been outsold by synthetics because the companies focus their marketing on synthetics.

Better profit margins on synthetics. They are cheaper to make.

Messi was wearing leather versions of boots being sold to the public that were only available in synthetic.

You will never find a bigger TL7 fan than myself. I'm with you guys.

But just casually watching mid table Bundesliga or La Liga matches and you just don't see tiempos anymore.
You see alot of Tiempos in 2nd and 3rd division. Pros still prefer leather if they aren't being sponsored/paid to push synthetics.

Better profit margins on synthetics. They are cheaper to make.
Pros still prefer leather if they aren't being sponsored/paid to push synthetics.

You keep repeating this with certainty, without any evidence it's actually the case.

That said, the availability and market shift towards synthetics probably does play a factor in their prominence and what we see in use.

Personally, Tiempos are all time classics, but you have to go back a generation to reach a point where a synthetic boot didn't serve me better.

Certain versions of the Hypervenom, Maestri, Obra, now Phantom, have all simply been better overall boots for me.

For grass/AG there are plenty of Tiempo replacements, some are outright improvements. Turf is a different story. Although the Vapor turfs are very good, I haven’t worn anything close to the Legend 9 Pro turf.

If anyone has a recommendation, I’m all ears. The downside of the Tiempo turf is it’s just not that durable, so I go through a a pair pretty quick

Back
Top Bottom