Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Smith is not an upgrade over Odom. Smith has one of the poorest shot selections and he wouldn't help chemistry.

I feel you. I'd rather keep Odom. Yeah, Smith is sexplosive, he's great on defense, but I think they're good as they are on Defense.
I'm sorry JapanAir but this is hella funny
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

KLJ, ska and the rest of Team Grammar Police are sad right nowJapanAir because of your mishap. How dare you let them down
smh.gif

AI, Melo and Smith is a great combo....but they still have no point...Smith will replace what Camby did on D but they are going to need a big man down low.

Josh Smith is gonna get pwned in the West playing @ PF
laugh.gif

Melo/A.I./J-Smoove still = 1st Rd exit or possibly no playoffs
ohwell.gif

[h1]
laugh.gif
smh.gif
[/h1]sign him ASAP.

[h1]Smith salutes team game[/h1]
Ex-Nugget steps up for Team USA, pro culture

By Anthony Cotton
The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 07/25/2008 02:58:25 AM MDT

J.R. Smith is a free agent and said he's yet to talk to Denver's front office.

LAS VEGAS - You might think there were many things J.R. Smith could have been doing Thursday afternoon. But odds are, shagging basketballs in Las Vegas never entered your mind.

"I'm humble - I can do that for all-stars or whoever," Smith said shortly after the United States Olympic team's practice. "Whoever wants to be in the gym working out, I'm there."

Smith, who in a year's time rallied from the far regions of Nuggets coach George Karl's doghouse to become one of Denver's mainstays, was added Wednesday to the U.S. Select team, a group of young NBA players charged with helping the Olympic team prepare for next month's Beijing Games. However, because Smith is a free agent and hasn't signed a contract with a team, he

[h1]VIDEO[/h1]
  • Watch: video of The Post's Woody Paige, Chris Dempsey and Benjamin Hochman discussing the Nuggets.
wasn't allowed to participate in Thursday's scrimmage against the U.S. squad.
Hence, the 22-year-old Smith, who has been known to chafe at authority during a mercurial four-year career, became practice fodder, assisting in drills, then rebounding shots and passing back to the likes of Utah's Deron Williams and Jason Kidd of Dallas.

The gig was a short one - the Olympic team has an exhibition game tonight against Canada, then leaves for Asia, where four more pre-Olympic contests await. However, just the idea of Smith showing up for the limited engagement made quite an impression.

"The fact that he just wanted to come out and be a part of this anyway was great," said Oklahoma City coach P.J. Carlesimo, who coached the Select team this week. "A lot of guys would've just said, 'Hey, I can't play so I'm not coming out there.'

"I think it was a strong statement about his feelings for USA Basketball that he came, and I know Jerry appreciated it, too."

That would be Jerry Colangelo, the former owner of the Phoenix Suns who is the managing director for the U.S. national team, the umbrella group that runs the Olympic program. Having Smith come in for a day's work, Colangelo said, is an example of the changes he's sought to implement and make playing for Team USA more important.

"We're trying to change a culture. That was something we really needed," Colangelo said. "Now, I think USA Basketball is becoming more of an in-thing, and things like the Select team helps create a pipeline. The guys who are here for that are the future Olympians for the Games of 2012 and 2016."

At this time a year ago, not long after effectively being booted from the Nuggets during the 2007 playoffs, it was hard to imagine Smith wearing anyone's uniform, let alone representing the U.S. in red, white and blue. And while the possibility seems more tangible, there's still some question about which franchise he would be representing.

Smith said Thursday there has been little movement in contract negotiations, with the Nuggets or any other team.

"I really don't know what's going on. I haven't had a chance to sit down and talk with the front office yet," Smith said. "I don't think anything will get messed up. That's the least of my worries."

Then again, it's the Nuggets, whose offseason moves are mysterious enough to make forward Carmelo Anthony crack, "Now that I've seen what happened to Marcus Camby (traded to the Los Angeles Clippers), I'm taking my career one day at a time."

Denver has said it would exercise its right to match any offer that Smith receives, a statement the guard said may be scaring off suitors.

"It's still a business. If another wanted to talk, I'd ask what my position and role on the team would be as well as the contract, of course," Smith said. "But I'm not worried about it. I'm just happy to be playing basketball for a living, so I'm not going to be greedy about anything."

I dont understand the Hawks management

They let Childress get away overseas and now they are still taking their sweet time to lock down Josh Smith.

Originally Posted by WILLINC

I dont understand the Hawks management

They let Childress get away overseas and now they are still taking their sweet time to lock down Josh Smith.

I don't either. If they're not careful, they will lose Josh Smith for nothing next off-season.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Smith is not an upgrade over Odom. Smith has one of the poorest shot selections and he wouldn't help chemistry.

I feel you. I'd rather keep Odom. Yeah, Smith is sexplosive, he's great on defense, but I think they're good as they are on Defense.
AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
laugh.gif

The same Andre Miller who they foolishly traded for AI in the first place?

I understand Dre's salary at the time helped make the deal. But I'm sure Denver could have been more creative and STILL manage to get AI.

No way Philly is letting Dre go anywhere.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Lakers keep Sasha in L.A.

03:45 PM PDT on Friday, July 25, 2008

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

After some tense negotiations, the Lakers and restricted free agent guard Sasha Vujacic agreed to a deal Friday afternoon.

Vujacic agreed to a three-year, $15 million deal, according to sources close to the player.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_web_sasha_signs.2ecdf99.html

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
I wonder how much came out of Kupchak's pocket?
laugh.gif

alien.gif
mad.gif
That's why you got Kwame.

sick.gif
smh.gif

Sources say Biedrins, Warriors agree to 6-year contract
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: July 27, 2008, 6:47 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Golden State Warriors have moved quickly to prevent Latvian center Andris Biedrins from seriously entertaining interest from deep-pocketed teams in Europeby reaching terms on a lucrative new contract with the restricted free agent.

Biedrins

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that Biedrins was en route to Oakland on Sunday night after agreeing to a new six-year contract with the Warriors worthnearly $63 million. The contract, sources said, will likely be signed Monday and include a player option for Biedrins to return to the free-agent market in thesummer of 2013 after completing five seasons.

Biedrins is among a growing crop of NBA veterans -- not all European, as evidence by Josh Childress' decision to leave the Atlanta Hawks for a team inGreece -- to attract big-money offers from clubs overseas.

The Warriors, though, made it clear entering one of the most frenetic offseasons in the club's history that re-signing its young restricted free agents --Biedrins and guard Monta Ellis -- was management's top priority. Retaining Ellis and Biedrins, sources say, was Golden State's first consideration inevery move it has and hasn't made since late June, when the Warriors elected not to use a $9.9 trade exception created by the deal that sent JasonRichardson to the Charlotte Bobcats on draft day in 2007.

Ellis was signed to a six-year deal worth $67 million on Thursday as part of Golden State's flurry of moves since July, when point guard Baron Daviscommitted to signing with his hometown Los Angeles Clippers.

The Warriors' flurry of transactions also includes signing forward Corey Maggette away from the Clippers on a five-year deal worth $50 million, matchingthe Clippers' three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $9 million to swingman Kelenna Azubuike, signing restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf away from theLos Angeles Lakers to a four-year deal worth $17 million and acquiring New Jersey Nets point guard Marcus Williams via trade.

Biedrins has made steady progress since the Warriors selected him as a teenager with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He averaged 10.5 points and 9.8rebounds last season in just 27.23 minutes per game, leading the league in field-goal percentage (.626) and improving his biggest weakness -- free-throwshooting -- from 52.1 percent in 2006-07 to 62 percent last season.

^ :pimp: I'm just happy right now that he's not going to Russia and that he signed with us. I'll evaluate if he got overpaid or not later. Ihaven't even read the whole article yet :lol:.

*edt*
Ok, I'm back with my evaluation of this whole Andris thing...

Ok, Andris is set to get about $10.5mil a year over 6 years. I'd say it's reasonable since the Russian club was putting pressure on Mullin to up hisoffer to Andris. Considering where Monta was at 6yrs/$66mil (the article above said $67mil), it's not that bad. I mean without the Russian club putting up$10mil/yr for Andris' services, Mullin HAD to up the offer to $10.5/yr. Did Mullin overpay? Yes, but it was understandable... we NEED him on our team. Didwe overpay much? Not really. And I hope we can trim payroll by getting rid of Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson down the road. Plus Foyle's contract comesoff the book at the end of next season. Our young guys will be set for a pay raise, but hopefully we'd trim enough payroll by then.

I'd point to overpaying Maggette's contract as something that's more of an eye sore. I just hope after a few years of Maggette, we can trade him.It'll give Marco room to grow and when he does, we can move Maggette out. Hopefully around that time, Maggette's expiring contract would look appealingto someone... hopefully.

Originally Posted by outkast9984

where is all this money coming from? they are paying everyone

Well, to start off the offseason, we only had 6 players under contract (7 if you count Baron who opted out). We had Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, MarcoBelinelli, Brandan Wright, CJ Watson, and Kosta Perovic. Combine that with the fact that Baron left $18mil on the table, we were obviously under the cap. Wejust filled out our roster to 15 players, which made it seem like we were signing "everyone" as you put it
laugh.gif

Looking to fill the void left when Josh Childress bolted for Greece, the Atlanta Hawks are close to completing a deal with free agent Maurice Evans. A person within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been completed, told The Associated Press on Sunday a deal could be signed by midweek. AP/Globe and Mail

I talked to a person in the organization last week who said Jamaal Tinsley continues to drop pounds. I still haven't been able to pinpoint the exact number of pounds Tinsley put on. I was told it was more than 20 late in the season. Indianapolis Star

Sam Presti lost out on Utah shooting guard C.J. Miles on Friday, but could Oklahoma City's general manager now make a run at Denver's J.R. Smith? Presti provided a glimpse into his off-season strategy last week when he signed Miles to a four-year, $15 million offer sheet. Based on that failed attempt, Smith, the former Hornets guard, fits the mold of what Presti is looking to add to the roster in free agency. Oklahoman

The Nuggets have said they will match any team's offer for Smith, who would earn roughly $3 million next season if he doesn't receive a contract extension. But Presti could employ a similar strategy as he did with Miles by setting the bar high and daring Denver to match. Oklahoman

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Josh Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville. The "proverbial" ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks' court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don't intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he's worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Jazz forward Carlos Boozer, responding to rumors he could be traded to Miami: "I live in Miami during the offseason. Obviously, they have a huge hole at power forward. I'm very good friends with [Heat owner] Micky Arison. So, the rumors are going to fly. We'll worry about those [rumors] later. I don't concern myself with rumors, rumors of being traded." Boston Globe

An NBA source said the Celtics remain interested in free agent forward Darius Miles, who hasn't played the last two seasons because of a knee injury. Boston Globe

With the recent additions of point guards Baron Davis and Jason Hart, Shaun Livingston's days with the Clippers may be over. Livingston hasn't played since dislocating his left kneecap Feb. 26, 2007, but the free agent is working out and waiting to be signed. Boston Globe

Carlos Boozer will be eligible to opt out of the final year of his contract and seek a deal on the open market next offseason, but Williams has made it abundantly clear he wants the Jazz's leading scorer and rebounder to remain long term. It marked the start of a stay-in-Utah campaign that could require significant time and effort over the next several months, as not only Boozer but also starting center Mehmet Okur and backup shooting guard Kyle Korver have the option to wiggle out of their contracts with the Jazz next summer. Deseret News

"Coach K let us know there will be times when me and D-Will might play together, or J-Kidd and D-Will together," Paul said. "Even if it's not two of the three (point) guards - when you're out there with Kobe, LeBron and Carmelo and all these guys, you get the opportunity to play off the ball a little bit, which we normally don't get to do." Deseret News

James Posey, a high-profile free agent from the defending champion Boston Celtics, turned down the same three-year, $20-million offer from Olympiakos and took less money from the Hornets. NY Newsday

Cavs: Veteran forward/center Robert ''Tractor'' Traylor probably won't be invited to training camp. Traylor, 31, wants to resume his NBA career. His appearance in the Vegas Summer League with the Cavs might help him land elsewhere in the league. Morning Journal

A source said the fifth season of Daniel Gibson's five-year, $21 million deal is only half guaranteed. Morning Journal

Veteran swingman Devin Brown isn't the only player who probably won't be back next year. It doesn't appear like the Cavs will bring back center Dwayne Jones. Morning Journal

The Cavs appear to be lukewarm on veteran free agent swingman Devean George. Morning Journal

Assuming Delonte West is eventually signed -- talk of him getting an offer from Dynamo Moscow were totally false -- the Cavs will have 14 players under contract for next season. That's one under the league maximum. Many thought Jackson would also be on the roster, but that's now up in the air. Morning Journal

The Spurs signed Creighton forward Anthony Tolliver and he has a decent chance to make their roster. Remember, the 6-8, 240-pounder survived the final cut with the Cavs last fall and appeared in three games before they signed Syracuse forward Demetris Nichols. Morning Journal

Nuggets guard Carmelo Anthony actually thought he was the one who had been traded before learning teammate Marcus Camby had been dealt recently to the Clippers. "Everybody was blowing my phone up," Anthony said. "So I picked up my phone and called back someone who said, 'Did you hear what happened?' I said, 'Where am I going now?' I was just laughing and joking [before the trade] about how much was involving the Denver Nuggets right now. So I was like, 'Where am I going?' They said, 'Camby got traded.' I said, 'Let me call you back,' and I got off the phone." Boston Globe

Carmelo Anthony on Camby being traded: "It was tough to see a guy like that, especially for me, this is my fifth year and I played five years with Camby, it was like we almost started an organization together. To see a Defensive Player of the Year just leave like that for nothing, I still don't understand that." Boston Globe

[h1]Sources say Biedrins, Warriors agree to 6-year contract[/h1]
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(
Archive)

Updated: July 27, 2008, 6:47 PM ET

The Golden State Warriors have moved quickly to prevent Latvian center Andris Biedrins from seriously entertaining interest from deep-pocketed teams in Europe by reaching terms on a lucrative new contract with the restricted free agent.

3828.jpg

Biedrins

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that Biedrins was en route to Oakland on Sunday night after agreeing to a new six-year contract with the Warriors worth nearly $63 million. The contract, sources said, will likely be signed Monday and include a player option for Biedrins to return to the free-agent market in the summer of 2013 after completing five seasons.

Biedrins is among a growing crop of NBA veterans -- not all European, as evidence by Josh Childress' decision to leave the Atlanta Hawks for a team in Greece -- to attract big-money offers from clubs overseas.

The Warriors, though, made it clear entering one of the most frenetic offseasons in the club's history that re-signing its young restricted free agents -- Biedrins and guard Monta Ellis -- was management's top priority. Retaining Ellis and Biedrins, sources say, was Golden State's first consideration in every move it has and hasn't made since late June, when the Warriors elected not to use a $9.9 trade exception created by the deal that sent Jason Richardson to the Charlotte Bobcats on draft day in 2007.

Ellis was signed to a six-year deal worth $67 million on Thursday as part of Golden State's flurry of moves since July, when point guard Baron Davis committed to signing with his hometown Los Angeles Clippers.

The Warriors' flurry of transactions also includes signing forward Corey Maggette away from the Clippers on a five-year deal worth $50 million, matching the Clippers' three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $9 million to swingman Kelenna Azubuike, signing restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf away from the Los Angeles Lakers to a four-year deal worth $17 million and acquiring New Jersey Nets point guard Marcus Williams via trade.

Biedrins has made steady progress since the Warriors selected him as a teenager with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He averaged 10.5 points and 9.8 rebounds last season in just 27.23 minutes per game, leading the league in field-goal percentage (.626) and improving his biggest weakness -- free-throw shooting -- from 52.1 percent in 2006-07 to 62 percent last season.

Marc Stein is the senior
[h2]Sources: Biedrins Agrees To New Deal With Golden State[/h2]
Biedrins_Andris_gsw_061127.jpg

Jul 27, 2008 7:01 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Warriors have moved quickly to prevent Andris Biedrins from considering interest from teams in Europe by reaching terms on a new deal with the restricted free agent.

League sources told ESPN.com that Biedrins was en route to Oakland on Sunday night, after agreeing to a new six-year deal with the Warriors worth nearly $63M. The contract will likely be signed Monday and include a player option for Biedrins to return to the free-agent market in the summer of 2013 after completing five seasons.

Via espn.com

Golden State Warriors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Evans Agrees To Terms With Atlanta[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:29 PM EST

atl_40.gif
Maurice Evans has agreed to terms with the Hawks on a three-year deal believed to be worth about $7.5 million, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.

Evans was reportedly close to signing a three-year deal with Golden State on Wednesday, one California newspaper reported.

Via Atlanta Journal-Constituion

Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors

[h2]Miami Settled On Keeping Marion?[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:57 PM EST

mia_40.gif
One veteran scout said Michael Beasley's defense -- which the Heat will emphasize this summer -- "Left a lot to be desired in [the Orlando summer league]. He doesn't have the mind-set for it, and he would have trouble defending small forwards." That is surely one incentive to keep Shawn Marion to play small forward next season, and there is sentiment inside the Heat to do that although it will listen to offers.

The Heat views Beasley primarily as a power forward.

Via Miami Herald

Miami Heat

[h2]Carmelo Doesn't Understand Camby Trade[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:35 PM EST

den_40.gif
Nuggets' guard Carmelo Anthony actually thought he was the one who had been traded before learning teammate Marcus Camby had been dealt recently to the Clippers.

"Everybody was blowing my phone up," Anthony said. "So I picked up my phone and called back someone who said, 'Did you hear what happened?'. I said, 'Where am I going now?' I was just laughing and joking [before the trade] about how much was involving the Denver Nuggets right now. So I was like, 'Where am I going?' They said, 'Camby got traded.' I said, 'Let me call you back,' and I got off the phone. It was tough to see a guy like that, especially for me, this is my fifth year and I played five years with Camby, it was like we almost started an organization together. To see a Defensive Player of the Year just leave like that for nothing, I still don't understand that."

Via Boston Globe

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Boston Still Interested In Darius Miles[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:33 PM EST

bos_40.gif
An NBA source said the Celtics remain interested in free agent forward Darius Miles, who hasn't played the last two seasons because of a knee injury.

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics

[h2]Boozer Understands Miami Trade Rumors[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:32 PM EST

uta_40.gif
Jazz forward Carlos Boozer recently responded to rumors he could be traded to Miami.

"I live in Miami during the offseason," said Boozer. "Obviously, they have a huge hole at power forward. I'm very good friends with [Heat owner] Micky Arison. So, the rumors are going to fly. We'll worry about those [rumors] later. I don't concern myself with rumors, rumors of being traded."

Via Boston Globe

Utah Jazz, Miami Heat

[h2]Hawks Considering Two Sign-And-Trade Deals For Smith?[/h2]
Jul 27, 2008 12:27 PM EST

atl_40.gif
There are at least two blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Atlanta Hawks are considering regarding Josh Smith.

One is from a Western Conference team and the other from the Eastern Conference with both teams apparently being amongst the NBA's powers.

The "proverbial" ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks' court regarding both opportunities.

Via Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks

[h2]Half Dozen Teams Interested In Devin Brown[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 4:51 PM EST

cle_40.gif
Among the teams showing interest in former Cavs guard Devin Brown are Dallas, New Orleans, Denver and Atlanta. To a lesser extent, both Miami and Washington have made contact with Brown's representatives.

Brown played a team-high 78 games for the Cavs last year, which included 20 starts. He averaged 7.5 points.

Via The News-Herald

Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, New Orleans Hornets, Denver Nuggets

Back
Top Bottom