Serious Topic: For those of you who live in the hood.......

You just picked up on things quicker than people in the suburbs.

Fast money. Drugs. Beef. Jealousy. Who you're real friends are. Sex usually comes to kids in the hood quicker like at 12-13 years old. You learn to be realprotective of your stuff cause you never know who might wanna take it from you at any given moment.

It was good though. I learned alot about life growing up in the dusty spots we did.

I'm writing and drawing my comic book about how life was growing up the way I did. I grew up in the worst of 2 sides. I was born and raised in the 80'sin Cali with my pops fighting with gangmembers every other day and when he got sick of that he moved us out to Wyandanch, NY in the 90's (For those thatknow....know what a junkyard that used to be) so then he took me outta there to Amityville where it was way calmer but hood stuff still followed us. It was noescaping it til we moved into a Guido neighborhood that just worries about the landscaping looking good.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't have changed my childhood for anything else in the world though.

I live in Compton, Ca and for the past 21 years basically just stay in school and stay focused on what really matters in life (family, education and yourself)just because you live in the "hood" shouldn't mean anything just take what you have and work with it. Sorry but that's the best I have to sayIt all depends on the person

Originally Posted by A Stunting GoTRILLa

Originally Posted by Nash

Some real heartfelt stuff in this thread...I'm from sorta the hood (54th and Crenshaw/Leimert Park BRRRR) but it sounds like a lot of yall are from way harder places and it's good to know yall have your heads on straight...stay safe
yeeaaa, I know that. I mean, people saw 'Boyz in the Hood' and thought we was duckin' and dodgin' bullets all the time but to be honest South Central wasn't all that bad
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

yeah It just depends all really on how your upbringing was and how your parents raised you

Some real heartfelt stuff in this thread...I'm from sorta the hood (54th and Crenshaw/Leimert Park BRRRR) but it sounds like a lot of yall are from way harder places and it's good to know yall have your heads on straight...stay safe
yeeaaa, I know that. I mean, people saw 'Boyz in the Hood' and thought we was duckin' and dodgin' bullets all the time but to be honest South Central wasn't all that bad
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Word when I tell out-of-towners that I grew up in/around South Central I always get the
eek.gif
haha

"not a hood ninja but a ninja from the hood. See my parents stayed on me so I turned out pretty good"

I live in SE DC... area known at "Deuce Deuce" or "Deuce Terrace"
nerd.gif

I will say that I was raised right, and that I've gone through things that many people who live on my block have never done. Some people here have nevergone to see the Washington Monument. I honestly hate living out here... cause I grew up in Uptown DC... it wasn't that much better, but living out here,I've seen and gone things you can't ever be prepared for. I've walked out of my house in the morning to see flashing lights because a car parkedliterally in front of my fathers had a dead person sitting in the drivers seat, laying where he was shot at... and thats happened on two occasions... needlessto say; I'm ready to get up outta here...

pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Word when I tell out-of-towners that I grew up in/around South Central I always get the
eek.gif
haha
laugh.gif
I get the same reaction when I tell people (out oftowners) that I grew up in Compton

Everyone adapts to their environment.
I didnt really realize that I used to live in the "hood" until I moved out.
There is nothing I could really post that would tell you how it feels. I mean
of course you had your drug spots and dudes hanging out in the road till 3 at night
smh.gif

but it really was home to me. Its more of a mental thing if you ask me.
I never sold drugs or killed someone in my life. But most of the people that
I grew up with back then def have made some bad decisions.
Thanks to my parental guidance I was able to "survive"
The truth is trouble and evil is everywhere.
This may sound a little snobbish but most of the time
If you just mind your own business you will make out alright.

Anybody else agree with me that no matter how far you move away from it. Then minute you're back in you're hood you gotta deal with some unfinishedbull #&$ from like 2 years ago or something.
roll.gif
roll.gif
You could go to the bodega to get you some deli food and you'll bump intosomeone you had some beef with.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Today I was driving with my girl back to her house and we at a light and this dude I been wanting to smack around for a while now is in the car in the nextlane to me and so he looks like he drives away mad fast and then again I see him like 1 traffic light later and he wanted to cut me off so I go to pop my trunkto pull out the baseball bat in case the dude with him wanted to go at it too but he hit this big #*# pothole and I guess he was stuck or something and withmad cars (a cop car too. there always is) behind me beeping I just went around the idiots laughing at them. I drove for like 10 minutes with my trunk flappinin the wind and stuff til I remembered I did pop the trunk so had to pull over to shut it. Gotta love the hood.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Anybody else agree with me that no matter how far you move away from it. Then minute you're back in you're hood you gotta deal with some unfinished bull #&$ from like 2 years ago or something.
roll.gif
roll.gif
You could go to the bodega to get you some deli food and you'll bump into someone you had some beef with.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Today I was driving with my girl back to her house and we at a light and this dude I been wanting to smack around for a while now is in the car in the next lane to me and so he looks like he drives away mad fast and then again I see him like 1 traffic light later and he wanted to cut me off so I go to pop my trunk to pull out the baseball bat in case the dude with him wanted to go at it too but he hit this big #*# pothole and I guess he was stuck or something and with mad cars (a cop car too. there always is) behind me beeping I just went around the idiots laughing at them. I drove for like 10 minutes with my trunk flappin in the wind and stuff til I remembered I did pop the trunk so had to pull over to shut it. Gotta love the hood.
roll.gif

roll.gif
Straight Comedy... it used to be that way for me whenever I came back home from school, which was a trip cause I don't talk to anyone out here... Ijust get mean mugs cause I don't dress like a hood dude and wear stuff some of them don't know where to buy... and everyone out here wears ArmaniExchange as if they can buy it in foot locker so wearing something different is always gonna get more dudes to hate you and make the hoodrats chase afteryou...

Inglewood stand up

damn its been hard, but man its really on u to make the right choices. avoid the problems

plain and simple, for me at least

Originally Posted by RLAK824

pimp.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif
haha
laugh.gif
I get the same reaction when I tell people (out of towners) that I grew up in Compton

I always tell people

"...I mean, it ain't like I grew up in Compton"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
ohwell.gif

Inglewood stand up
IngleHOOD! Manchester Ave
nerd.gif

grew up on the eastside of buffalo for 18 years enuff said. I can honestly say eveybody i grew up with is dead or in jail for a very long time. Only reason imade it out cause ma dukes wasnt having it i got my %@% beat everyday but i wouldnt have it any other way. I love u momma
frown.gif

u better move ur @%* to northern VA or MD. D.C is hood capital. Place is too +@!%+$ up. Winter will be more calm, but Summer is always its worst time.

Southside of Chicago, The 100's to be exact...
Originally Posted by Jules300

grew up on the eastside of buffalo for 7 years enuff said.

Delavan and Cambridge to be exact.

between these to area's I've seen sooooo much that when I tell my girl stories she looks in amazement at the fact that I turned out to be who I amtoday. But between my mother, school, the local rec, and cousins/uncles/older heads who were running the streets like that, drugs shoot outs I was kept on apretty straight and narrow path.

They used to tell me to move around when **!+ was about to get hot or spazz on folks who even looked like they were trying to pull me into that life, Iremember my guy Dusty (old head from buffalo) threatened to have all the young knuckleheads in the hood jump on this one kid I hung with everyday for the restof the summer if he was ever had drugs or guns around me. I used to be nice at ball so the local hustlers would have me playing against people for money,other kids, hustlers, & older cats. Everyone, hustlers and street cats included, always told me and everyone around me that I was going to make it out andI did. So in a strange way I owe them for any success I ever have in life.

Originally Posted by warriors510

Lived in Oakland all my life, the 30s and 50s. I see everything that goes on, but I mind my business and do my own thing. I don't associate with individuals who commit crimes or anything, and I try to surround myself with good people with the right morals. So now Im down in LA at an university. But yea, to Ruleofthirds, West Oakland is bad, glad i don't live there. My friend's mom, unfortunately was walking out her friend's house and got caught in a drive by, got popped in the head on 8th st n Adeline, by them Acorn ppl.

This is pretty much my story. I lived in East Oakland all my life...the 100s, but all my friends stay throughout the town so when I go back, I'm allaround.
But yeah, you see $$!@, but like you said...I just try to mind my own. Nobody really bothers me either.

Give yall a little idea of what happens...

-Riding the bus was a *$+**. Gangs all etched into the seats and windows...groups of dudes picking out "licks" and jumping em right there on the bus.

-And 1 game getting shot up after a big #$% gang fight...one of the dudes I was with dropped his shotgun in the arena as we was running out the building

Now, I'm in college most of the year and go back home to visit and such now.

pimp.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif
haha
same thing happened when i moved to austin. then when they wanna hear some hood stories they hit me with the
eek.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
combo.
i thank god i got out. although i visit all my fam whenever i can. cali
pimp.gif

I'm just a positive person by nature. The type to not go on the jooks just cause my boys are but be right there ready to chill when they get back.So...yea.

I'm from West Brighton, Staten Island by the way now residing in Va.

I didnt really realize that I used to live in the "hood" until I moved out.

Word. As a kid growing up in the hood, all the "hood" stuff you see everyday is just as normal as everything else. I didn't have a father, but nobody else did so it wasn't a big deal. My mom was great though. She instilled values and morals in me that would help me through, even if I didn't realize it. She knew in the environment we grew up in, the time would come where I had to make a choice. Right or wrong. Even though the influence of the hood was strong, her's was stronger. Thanks to her i always made the right choices.

So I wasn't robbing people or selling drugs, but I still needed to hustle. I used to sell my free lunch ticket for five dollars at the beginning of every week in school. I would take that five dollars and side bet when the older cats were playing cee-lo. If I would win a little while side betting, I would get in the actually game and try to take it to the top. If I lost, it was going to be a long week.When worst came to worst, I would walk an hour to the nice neighborhood, steal a bike, bring it back to sell to an older head, and start all over again. That was just one of my many hustles.

I wouldn't have wanted to be raised in any other environment. The hood taught me how to survive. It taught me how to be sharp. Not everyone makes it though. My friend was shot and killed when I was 15. A kid from my block killed a teacher in a botched robbery and got life. I saw a kid get shot and killed on the basketball court. My best friend got convicted of federal bank robbery, and is waiting to be sentenced on charges that carry a manditory minimum of 32 years. I have seen it all. Being able to overcome all of that made me strong, and it prepared me to handle any challenge that life throws at me.

You remember in season 3 when they move all the drugs to "hamsterdam"? Then there was that one scene where Bubbles walks through it at night and seesall that crazy %%!%? My block was way worse than that...
pimp.gif

not really. BUT I did live in some really #+!%!% part of Bogota til I was about 5 and my family relocated to South FL. It wasn't exactly "hood"but this was around the mid 90's when things were really hectic down there. Drugs, violence, kidnappings, theft, and a few earthquakes thrown in just toreally %@#* things up. Probably not what you were looking for but the slums of other countries make the hood look like paradise in certain respects.

I used to live in the "Hood" before I moved to an affluent suburb for some of High school....I've experienced the best of both world. Living in acrime-ridden, impoverished area should never be glorified. This glorification in popular culture/ music has had a hand in perpetuating some self-destructiveand unconstructive mentalities among minority populations.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Southside of Chicago, The 100's to be exact...
Originally Posted by Jules300

grew up on the eastside of buffalo for 7 years enuff said.

Delavan and Cambridge to be exact.

between these to area's I've seen sooooo much that when I tell my girl stories she looks in amazement at the fact that I turned out to be who I am today. But between my mother, school, the local rec, and cousins/uncles/older heads who were running the streets like that, drugs shoot outs I was kept on a pretty straight and narrow path.

They used to tell me to move around when **!+ was about to get hot or spazz on folks who even looked like they were trying to pull me into that life, I remember my guy Dusty (old head from buffalo) threatened to have all the young knuckleheads in the hood jump on this one kid I hung with everyday for the rest of the summer if he was ever had drugs or guns around me. I used to be nice at ball so the local hustlers would have me playing against people for money, other kids, hustlers, & older cats. Everyone, hustlers and street cats included, always told me and everyone around me that I was going to make it out and I did. So in a strange way I owe them for any success I ever have in life.

pimp.gif

Born and raised in orange mound, memphis tn...stayed in the hood, projects, back 2 da hood til I was a junior in high school. The candy lady stayed right nextdoor 2 us. It rly aint as bad as folk make it out 2 be. Its more of a don't cross me, don't get crossed type of thing. As kids, most of us all rode dasame buses, or walked 2 school. To stay positive actually all depends on what's goin on in your home. For the most part, it was my ma, sis and me. Momsworked 2 jobs, so we was at home a lot alone. these were the days when the quote "it takes village 2 raise a child" made u think twice. It has itsups and downs. 1st time I saw sme1 get killed I was like 8. U heard the gun shots every other night or so. Fights goin on in the middle of the night. It wasalways some entertainment.

Originally Posted by Ricasho

u better move ur @%* to northern VA or MD. D.C is hood capital. Place is too +@!%+$ up. Winter will be more calm, but Summer is always its worst time.

Winter is Real In D.C. too... Don't get it twisted MD isn't too much better... Well at least not P.G. County. Winter is robbing season...

Back
Top Bottom