Seems like John Hollinger knows more than most of NT'ers: LEBRON vs MJ

2. Everyone will realize they were comparing the wrong guy to MJ
For the past decade, the media has not been able to resist the temptation to compare Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan, no matter how one-sided the comparison. Don't get me wrong -- Kobe is a great player and will go down as the second-best to ever play his position. But the Jordan stuff was mostly to generate chatter.

Here's the irony: For nearly half a decade, we've had the Next Jordan in our midst: LeBron James. He's mentioned as MJ's heir and they share the same jersey number, but I've yet to hear one person compare LeBron James to Jordan beyond that. Perhaps it's a result of their different body types and styles, but it's a far more valid comparison than the Kobe ones.

Well, better late than never. This is the year that everyone will wake up and realize LeBron is that caliber of player. He's threatening to break Jordan's modern-stat-era PER record (there were no individual turnover records kept when Wilt Chamberlain played, so we can't say for sure how he'd rate), he seems likely to win his first MVP award and he might very well win his first championship.

He also is clearly the best player in the league and, at 24, appears to have several more years of this caliber ahead of him. So this summer might be a fair time to start asking how many MVP awards, scoring titles, championships, etc., he can earn. And that, inevitably, will lead to comparisons with the only perimeter player in history who can rival his accomplishments at this age -- Jordan.

That is, if anybody can shut up about 2010 for five seconds.

Seems like many NT'ers get personal whenever I bring up LeBron.
Dudes saying I'm slurping and what not. Not really.
Oh well.
Let's try not to compare LBJ and Kobe.
How about LBJ and MJ?
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, can we NOT do the player A vs player B thing here? Seriously.

Also no way in hell I'm a Kobe hater. He's prolly my top 50 fav player in the NBA.

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

For the past decade, the media has not been able to resist the temptation to compare Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan, no matter how one-sided the comparison. Don't get me wrong -- Kobe is a great player and will go down as the second-best to ever play his position. But the Jordan stuff was mostly to generate chatter.

Here's the irony: For nearly half a decade, we've had the Next Jordan in our midst: LeBron James. He's mentioned as MJ's heir and they share the same jersey number, but I've yet to hear one person compare LeBron James to Jordan beyond that. Perhaps it's a result of their different body types and styles, but it's a far more valid comparison than the Kobe ones.

Well, better late than never. This is the year that everyone will wake up and realize LeBron is that caliber of player. He's threatening to break Jordan's modern-stat-era PER record (there were no individual turnover records kept when Wilt Chamberlain played, so we can't say for sure how he'd rate), he seems likely to win his first MVP award and he might very well win his first championship.

He also is clearly the best player in the league and, at 24, appears to have several more years of this caliber ahead of him. So this summer might be a fair time to start asking how many MVP awards, scoring titles, championships, etc., he can earn. And that, inevitably, will lead to comparisons with the only perimeter player in history who can rival his accomplishments at this age -- Jordan.

Oh well.
How about LBJ and MJ?
laugh.gif

LBJ & MJ is a better comparison because at this point in both their careers, they both relied mostly on athleticism & didnt have a greatjumpshot & neither had won anything yet. besides that there is no comparison. LBJ isnt even in the same stratosphere as MJ in terms of defense, & thatis really what separates MJ from everybody else

Bron is not clearly the best player. Hollinger says it like no one is close to him. Yea he's the best right now but its not like he's head andshoulders above everybody else.

It is impossible to compare players who played in 2 different eras especially the time when MJ played and now.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Oh well.
How about LBJ and MJ?
laugh.gif

LBJ & MJ is a better comparison because at this point in both their careers, they both relied mostly on athleticism & didnt have a great jumpshot & neither had won anything yet. besides that there is no comparison. LBJ isnt even in the same stratosphere as MJ in terms of defense, & that is really what separates MJ from everybody else

bron's defense>> kobe's defense

I saw that article on ESPN and I knew this would show up on NT.
laugh.gif

I predict this thread won't go well.
laugh.gif

Definitely won't end well. But it's funny that all of a sudden he's the clear cut best player in the league, IMO it's HIGHLY debatable whetherhe is or not, hell I don't even think he's playing the best this year, D-Wade is, but oh well another Kobe vs. Bron thread in 3.....2....1

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Definitely won't end well. But it's funny that all of a sudden he's the clear cut best player in the league, IMO it's HIGHLY debatable whether he is or not, hell I don't even think he's playing the best this year, D-Wade is, but oh well another Kobe vs. Bron thread in 3.....2....1
Thats the 1 thing that got to me the most

But, last year...early it went from no separation between Kobe and Bron..

then Bynum steps up, then Pau arrives...Lakers take off...

and it's no question Kobe is the best...

That was funny to me.

Originally Posted by KickzLikeKarateFlickz

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Oh well.
How about LBJ and MJ?
laugh.gif

LBJ & MJ is a better comparison because at this point in both their careers, they both relied mostly on athleticism & didnt have a great jumpshot & neither had won anything yet. besides that there is no comparison. LBJ isnt even in the same stratosphere as MJ in terms of defense, & that is really what separates MJ from everybody else
bron's defense>> kobe's defense

kobe's defense >> bron's defense.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

That was funny to me.
Who said there was no separation between Bron and Kobe last year? I'm almost 100% positive that a vast majority of analysts were saying thatKobe was the best just like this year for some reason they are saying Bron is the best, both could be debated, but I'm pretty sure that was the sentimentat the beginning of last year.

majority of analysts
I'm speakin of on here (hell KG was everyones MVP for a while and now look at how people feel)..it was much more even all around before theLakers winning big..

my point is winning does a lot.

majority of analysts
I'm speakin of on here (hell KG was everyones MVP for a while and now look at how people feel)..it was much more even all around before the Lakers winning big..

my point is winning does a lot.

got ya. but NT isn't exactly the authority on this subject, people's agendas and hate cloud their judgment
laugh.gif

^Exactly. We've got people like koopa and kickz getting into it already.

The fact of the matter is that LeBron James will NEVER, repeat...NEVER, be mentioned on NikeTalk without the likes of Kobe Bryant polluting and bastardizingthe same thread.

i will never compare LBJ to MJ because there 2 different kind of players with a different kind of game.

when Lebron gets at least 2 of these

jordanrings00nike-1.jpg

i might, MIGHT put him in the same paragraph, never the same sentence though.

That was funny to me.
wait HUH, this is the 1st year i think anyone has been in agreement that lebron is passing kobe. last year i only remember u and OC dridingself's saying that crap

John Hollinger:
LeBron James... mentioned as MJ's heir and they share the same jersey number, but I've yet to hear one person compare LeBron James to Jordan beyond that.
Does he not have ears?

And people are never going to stop with this are they?

- 6 rings
- Finals MVP every time, meaning 6 Finals MVPs
- 10 scoring titles
- 5 regular season MVPs
- 3 steals titles
- Defensive Player of the Year (1988)
- averaged MORE points in the playoffs (33.4) then in the regular season (30.12)
- 2 gold medals (1984, 1992)

When someone has at least half of those things, the discussion should start that the next Jordan might be in our hands. Let a man get 3 rings, 3 Finals MVPs, 5scoring titles, 2 or 3 regular season MVPs, 1 or 2 steals titles, come in 2nd to a DPOY award, have a playoffs average that is just under their regular seasonaverage or maybe about even, and a gold medal... THEN I'll say that he might be the next Jordan.

LeBron's got a scoring title, a Finals appearance, and a gold medal... and he's the next Jordan?

Really?

No.

He's the next face of the league, not the next Jordan.

John Hollinger: *banned*

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom