See How Long It Takes A Pro Athlete To Earn Your Salary: ESPN Salary Crunch. (Damn)

Athletes do warrant those type of salaries though. They do deserve these salaries. The primary reason people pay the ticket price is to watch these athletes perform. It isn't the athlete's fault that their nightly performance is a highly valued and desired escape from the realities of life. They should benefit immensely from this valuation.

Again, to say doctors deserve more money than athletes is a stupid argument. It is an entirely different and more reasonable argument to say that doctors deserve more respect than athletes.

are nba players the highest paid athletes among pro sport players in the us? ( nba , nfl , mlb , nhl , mls only )

are nba players the highest paid athletes among pro sport players in the us? ( nba , nfl , mlb , nhl , mls only )

Man that was a big f u to my self-esteem
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Theta

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Originally Posted by bijald0331

JaMarcus Russell made $30,000 after the following...
.07 Games .04 Touchdowns
9.51 Yards passing .82 Pass completions

You will need to work 429.41 years in order to make JaMarcus Russell's annual salary.

laugh.gif
Only in America.

And, no, they don't "deserve" it.

Explain.

I feel like someone must contribute something truly significant to DESERVE multi-millions e.g. renowned brain surgeon, or an experienced professor/teacher.  I don't deny that they earn their money, but the type of work they do does not warrant those insane salaries. Like I said, only in America does someone that plays a Doctor on TV make more than a REAL doctor.
America is an entertainment/ emotional based country and not about structure/practicality, which explains why we're in the state that we're in.
Woah, woah, woah, who decides whats truly significant? Do you? Do I? How about this. How about, we all get together and vote on what we think is significant. Well, how are we gonna tally our votes, I mean if i think something is 100x more significant than you do, we should give that 100x more votes. Hm what can we use as votes? I know, how about US Dollars?

The value of something in society is determined by aggregate demand and relative scarcity. There are thousands of doctors that can do brain surgery, but how many basketball players can throw up 40pts as entertainingly as Lebron? Like 5, maybe. The fact that athletes, actors, rappers, etc are relatively scare plays a big part in determining how much they are worth.

Everytime you watch King James on ESPN, you have decided that this is what is valuable to you. It entertains you and that entertainment surely has worth right? I mean its not worth $0. How much is it worth? $1? $5? $50? Its different for everybody but now consider how many people benefit from watching Lebron play (or whoever playing). Maybe a single individual wont benefit as much as a person in need of neurosurgery, but the net benefit to society from this one person is greater than that of a doctor. These athletes deserve every cent that they get paid (many deserve more when considering Net Consumer Surplus - the difference between the dollar benefit that somebody gets from a good/service and the amount paid for said good/service).

I would say that you should be mad at society, but theres no reason to be. The matter of fact is that TO SOCIETY AS A WHOLE, Lebron James is worth more than any doctor is. The doctors dont deserve to be paid more and neither does Lebron. They are both getting paid what we value them.
Very well thought out response.

Being an economics major FTW, although a social science, instead of thinking scientifically, we derive our answers from a rational point of view
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Theta

.07 Games .04 Touchdowns

You will need to work 429.41 years in order to make JaMarcus Russell's annual salary.

laugh.gif
Only in America.

Explain.

I feel like someone must contribute something truly significant to DESERVE multi-millions e.g. renowned brain surgeon, or an experienced professor/teacher.  I don't deny that they earn their money, but the type of work they do does not warrant those insane salaries. Like I said, only in America does someone that plays a Doctor on TV make more than a REAL doctor.
America is an entertainment/ emotional based country and not about structure/practicality, which explains why we're in the state that we're in.
Woah, woah, woah, who decides whats truly significant? Do you? Do I? How about this. How about, we all get together and vote on what we think is significant. Well, how are we gonna tally our votes, I mean if i think something is 100x more significant than you do, we should give that 100x more votes. Hm what can we use as votes? I know, how about US Dollars?

The value of something in society is determined by aggregate demand and relative scarcity. There are thousands of doctors that can do brain surgery, but how many basketball players can throw up 40pts as entertainingly as Lebron? Like 5, maybe. The fact that athletes, actors, rappers, etc are relatively scare plays a big part in determining how much they are worth.

Everytime you watch King James on ESPN, you have decided that this is what is valuable to you. It entertains you and that entertainment surely has worth right? I mean its not worth $0. How much is it worth? $1? $5? $50? Its different for everybody but now consider how many people benefit from watching Lebron play (or whoever playing). Maybe a single individual wont benefit as much as a person in need of neurosurgery, but the net benefit to society from this one person is greater than that of a doctor. These athletes deserve every cent that they get paid (many deserve more when considering Net Consumer Surplus - the difference between the dollar benefit that somebody gets from a good/service and the amount paid for said good/service).

I would say that you should be mad at society, but theres no reason to be. The matter of fact is that TO SOCIETY AS A WHOLE, Lebron James is worth more than any doctor is. The doctors dont deserve to be paid more and neither does Lebron. They are both getting paid what we value them.
Very well thought out response.

Being an economics major FTW, although a social science, instead of thinking scientifically, we derive our answers from a rational point of view
pimp.gif

I would rather the players who are actually doing the work get paid than the owners who just sit in the offices

I would rather the players who are actually doing the work get paid than the owners who just sit in the offices

.07 Games .04 Touchdowns

laugh.gif
Only in America.

Explain.

not to mention the amount of salary that they have to put towards insurance. you make a mistake and you can be potentially sued.
tired.gif

i don't believe athletes are overpaid though; more-so we're being underpaid

.07 Games .04 Touchdowns

laugh.gif
Only in America.

Explain.

not to mention the amount of salary that they have to put towards insurance. you make a mistake and you can be potentially sued.
tired.gif

i don't believe athletes are overpaid though; more-so we're being underpaid

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

Why? The players are just glorified employees the owners are the ones who take all the financial risks.

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

Why? The players are just glorified employees the owners are the ones who take all the financial risks.

Originally Posted by WarMachine

lol @ all these justifications. I guess teachers are only worth $22k

- lol @ people like you still caught up on 'worth'
ohwell.gif

- peep my previous post.....answer the questions. tell me, what should we do with the money generated if we dont give it to the athletes? shoould the owner not make any money as well.

Originally Posted by WarMachine

lol @ all these justifications. I guess teachers are only worth $22k

- lol @ people like you still caught up on 'worth'
ohwell.gif

- peep my previous post.....answer the questions. tell me, what should we do with the money generated if we dont give it to the athletes? shoould the owner not make any money as well.

Back
Top Bottom