Scientists estimate around 50 billion planets in our galaxy....vol. we cant be alone

The thing I don't get is how scientists are so sure of their calculations. Especially the whole areas of space that could sustain life rhetoric. They base it all on what is factual for life on earth. They hardly ever publicize the possibility of creatures being capable of maintaining in environments that are not similar to our own.

Originally Posted by GhengesK

you-were-born-too-soon-15269-1284379014-8.jpg

Damn
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by iBlink

The thing I don't get is how scientists are so sure of their calculations. Especially the whole areas of space that could sustain life rhetoric. They base it all on what is factual for life on earth. They hardly ever publicize the possibility of creatures being capable of maintaining in environments that are not similar to our own.

QFMFT

I have been thinking like this all my life. Like seriously why do they believe other forms of life need the same natural sources as us in order to survive?

QFMFT

I have been thinking like this all my life. Like seriously why do they believe other forms of life need the same natural sources as us in order to survive?

Originally Posted by NavyBoy24

QFMFT

Yep!

QFMFT

Yep!

It would be interesting if there was life out there. But then there is the issue of reaching them. Or them reaching us.

It would be interesting if there was life out there. But then there is the issue of reaching them. Or them reaching us.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Probably won't happen in our lifetime, though.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Probably won't happen in our lifetime, though.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

QFMFT

Yep!

Scientists have never ruled out the possibility of different lifeforms, so I don't where you guys getting that idea from??
The news here is that we have a more accurate estimate of how many planets there are and how many that can be inhabited in our galaxy based simply on its distance from its "sun" in its solar system.  It's basically like how Venus is too hot to inhabit, Mars is too cold to inhabit, and Earth is the perfect temperature.

So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist. Kepler's main mission is not to examine individual worlds, but give astronomers a sense of how many planets, especially potentially habitable ones, there are likely to be in our galaxy. They would use the one-four-hundredth of the night sky that Kepler is looking at and extrapolate from there.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

QFMFT

Yep!

Scientists have never ruled out the possibility of different lifeforms, so I don't where you guys getting that idea from??
The news here is that we have a more accurate estimate of how many planets there are and how many that can be inhabited in our galaxy based simply on its distance from its "sun" in its solar system.  It's basically like how Venus is too hot to inhabit, Mars is too cold to inhabit, and Earth is the perfect temperature.

So far Kepler has found 1,235 candidate planets, with 54 in the Goldilocks zone, where life could possibly exist. Kepler's main mission is not to examine individual worlds, but give astronomers a sense of how many planets, especially potentially habitable ones, there are likely to be in our galaxy. They would use the one-four-hundredth of the night sky that Kepler is looking at and extrapolate from there.

Back
Top Bottom