San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

what's crazy are the one that try to squeeze 6 to a 2 br just cause they want to be in the city. even if you are making decent money, i'd hate to have it spent all on rent :lol:
I went to a party in the TLs and next door to the party was a group of 4 Hispanic dudes that wanted to party with us. They told how they were chefs in Mexico and became cooks when they got to the city. Anyways, they told me there place was a studio and I was like WTF. They showed me inside there spot and it was literally two bunk beds in the living room/room. I felt sorry for them so I told my boy's dad to hook them up with a spot in Union City and they gave me free food the last time I saw them. I don't know how they lived with each other in a tight place without bumping heads. They we're way more mellow than me though so I thought they deserved better.

I never feel bad for these people when they talk about how expensive it is to live in the city and how they have zero savings. They'd have savings if they moved down to San Leandro/Hayward and took a 30 minute BART trip for work/nightlife, but they'd rather stay in someone's living room with shower curtain partitions just to say "I live in the city". For them, somehow it's shameful to not live in SF, when SF is a city meant for 600K people. The remaining 6-7 million people that live in the Bay Area are all just losers I guess :lol:
Tell me about it, almost every transplant I know doesn't go to any cities for fun besides San Francisco and Berkeley. Ok that's another point for San Jose, you guys don't have "holier than thou" transplants. I feel like sometimes they look down on me for "sticking to" the city instead of uprooting like they did. I had to shut a few down and mention that it's my preference keep visitors in check.

When I say "getting worse" and talk about how terrible it is, here's what I mean. In the 80s/90s, SF was a slum; I agree, which is why my parents moved us out of there as soon as they could afford to, but it made sense since there wasn't the same tech industry that was booming in the South Bay at the time.

In the late 2000s/early 2010s, the economy started to recover, and jobs were popping up all over the Bay, including SF. I worked with/for many of those startups. Neighborhoods started improving and getting cleaner, and there was a good balance.

You know why it's so frustrating? As an accountant for those companies, I saw how much property tax, payroll tax, gross receipts tax, etc. all of these companies had to provide to the city. These startups often paid an extra 30-50K A YEAR compared to if they worked right outside of SF. Where the hell is that money going? Streets are still covered in fiends, homeless, potholes, and human feces.

It's getting worse NOW because the rich people here are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. It's reverting to the old days with people all over the streets pissing and @#$@%@ everywhere with needles all over the place.

You keep mentioning the TLs. I work near Castro, which is nowhere near the TLs. Walk around 18th and Market past 9 PM and tell me what you see there. There's literally 4-5 fiends/homeless on every block, no exaggeration. I can't imagine owning a business here, cause every night/morning I see people camped up in doorways.

Going to assume you meant 8th & Market cause 18th & Market is all residential neighborhoods and usually take that route when I'm heading to twin peaks and even then 8th & Market is almost empty due to construction if anything you'll catch a few heads kicking it at the park on 7th but that's it you sure you're from the city? :lol:

I agree for the most part, but literally every city starts getting those types after a certain hour. But, I agree, the growth is inbalanced and as a growing city, it hasn't cleaned up nearly enough. But, trust me, it was a hell of alot worst in the past up until the 2000s. There were roaches closing down Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants all the time and in the entrance of Powell near Gap, you would have the past by groups of homeless. Now all of those ecampments are pretty much sectioned off the division st. and SoMa. I believe the city has been "dirty" ever since the 70s and it hasn't really fixed that problem as a whole. Go cities like St. Loius and Detroit and they make SF look like a clean room. In fact, the only "clean" cities in this country are those mid-size ones are Loiusville, Charlotte, Boise, etc. The only clean major cities I've been to were Tokyo, San Diego, and Frankfurt.

Blondies on Powell comes to mind fav pizza spot growing up but once that rat/roach infestation happened it was a wrap it turned to **** after remodel anyway I stopped ******* with that spot after that

Going to assume you meant 8th & Market cause 18th & Market is all residential neighborhoods and usually take that route when I'm heading to twin peaks and even then 8th & Market is almost empty due to construction if anything you'll catch a few heads kicking it at the park on 7th but that's it you sure you're from the city? :lol:

Blondies on Powell comes to mind fav pizza spot growing up but once that rat/roach infestation happened it was a wrap it turned to **** after remodel anyway I stopped ****ing with that spot after that

Nah I'm just inventing the whole thing to get attention on NT :rolleyes

I work near the Chevron at Market and 17th. 18th was a typo. I park up the hill at Noe and 19th since SFMTA is too lazy to go up that hill to check on parking.

Get off MUNI at Castro past 9 PM and walk up Market and tell me what you see. I work late at the office sometimes, so I see some wild @#$@ when I take a break to get food.

Blondies on Powell comes to mind fav pizza spot growing up but once that rat/roach infestation happened it was a wrap it turned to **** after remodel anyway I stopped ****ing with that spot after that

I was so ******* mad when I found out it was infested. Luckily I mostly went to the Berkeley one and moved on to Serrano's when I moved to the city. The last time I ate there was 2010.

I work near the Chevron at Market and 17th. 18th was a typo. I park up the hill at Noe and 19th since SFMTA is too lazy to go up that hill to check on parking.

Get off MUNI at Castro past 9 PM and walk up Market and tell me what you see. I work late at the office sometimes, so I see some wild @#$@ when I take a break to get food.
Honestly, the whole downtown gets bummy after 9pm. I recently went to 7-11 in embarcadero and walked into a young strung out dude theatening one of the workers. It was literally a stand-off the whole time I was there. I told them I would call the cops if they didn't chill and luckily the dude dipped with his boys. The worker told me the only thing he said to the strung-up guy was "do you need help?".

Honestly, the whole downtown gets bummy after 9pm. I recently went to 7-11 in embarcadero and walked into a young strung out dude theatening one of the workers. It was literally a stand-off the whole time I was there. I told them I would call the cops if they didn't chill and luckily the dude dipped with his boys. The worker told me the only thing he said to the strung-up guy was "do you need help?".

I agree, and like I said, my complaint is that the city is rolling in money but turns a complete blind eye to these things. I'm not saying to just move these people somewhere else; do something to help and clean them up instead of just moving them from one district to another. Moving fiends doesn't do much in a tiny city like SF. They can just walk 10-20 minutes on Market to go back to where they got kicked out from :lol:

I agree, and like I said, my complaint is that the city is rolling in money but turns a complete blind eye to these things. I'm not saying to just move these people somewhere else; do something to help and clean them up instead of just moving them from one district to another. Moving fiends doesn't do much in a tiny city like SF. They can just walk 10-20 minutes on Market to go back to where they got kicked out from :lol:
Yeah, the city needs more homeless shelters and treatment centers.

I don't ride MUNI man the only time I'm in the area is when I'm picking up prints from my friends shop at Photoworks

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it doesn't exist my issue is you're making it more than it seems but it is there

I'm a big dude so I guess I've had the luxury of these dudes not coming at me foul unless they're really on some **** but even then I do get what you're trying to say

The only reason it looks so bad is cause the homeless rate is worse landlords evicting their tenants to make room for the ***** *** techies and have nowhere to go

I was so ****ing mad when I found out it was infested. Luckily I mostly went to the Berkeley one and moved on to Serrano's when I moved to the city. The last time I ate there was 2010.

Moved on to Seniore's and ain't looked back since :smokin

Yeah, the city needs more homeless shelters and treatment centers.

Unfortunately this will never happen with the current administration

Year or so back there was big talk of providing housing for homeless people but it was just another empty promise

Lee died with his pockets full of cash from all these tech companies and the next in line is gonna inherent it

Nobody has the balls to tell these ************* to **** off

The soul of the city is fading away if not already gone :smh:

Unfortunately this will never happen with the current administration

Year or so back there was big talk of providing housing for homeless people but it was just another empty promise

Lee died with his pockets full of cash from all these tech companies and the next in line is gonna inherent it

Nobody has the balls to tell these **********ers to **** off

The soul of the city is fading away if not already gone :smh:

True, RIP to Lee, but he sold out this city with the tax breaks for tech-companies. All this building is for the rich and they'll be kicking themselves once the tech market stabilizes. With the app world becoming stagnant, Chinese MNVOs gaining ground in market share, customers sticking with phones around for longer period of time, tech devices losing popularity(tablets, fitness/smart watches, etc.), and companies choosing other cheaper cities to conduct business, I see the tech era slowing down.

From SF and spent most of my 33 years of life in SF but it's definitely not worth the price to pay if you're going with recent year market price rent/housing, NYC is worth the price but SF definitely not

Come on now, give me one recommendation, any category, outside of a mainstream club or a Vietnamese strip joint. I'm looking away from anything of that sort anyway. :lol:

A lot of people go around to eat/drink in san pedro square in SJ...hipsterish i guess
as for mexican food, forget the restaurants, find a taco truck. I live in Sunnyvale so i enjoy the taco trucks around me

Can't give much info as i don't really go out to SJ anyway :lol:

Last edited:
^^^^^If I were super young, I wouldn't have mind living in that situation. But unfortunately that is the cheapest you can go living in SF. I had a young colleague I worked with that just got out of college. He had 4 of his collage friends all rent a home and I think rent is about $2000 or each.

I was just reminded yesterday on the way home that the city still hasn't changed. Got on the 22 bus and some lady got on all barking saying she was getting on for free and we literally were at a stand still for 10 minutes. Someone finally paid her fare but she just yelled at everyone the whole time.

Sf was booming back in the late 90s and that **** crashed. Early 2000s was a ghost town ...I want to move back one day. I love sf...NYC is cool but I always miss San Francisco. Can't tell you why.

Its been YEARS even before I left the bay I was in the east bay. Before I came to NYC in 2016. As far as the commu ity vibe I know that **** is nonexistent. My sis still lives there though, that good old rent control.

It’s laughable and terrifying to see how so many neighborhoods in Oakland have completely flipped and become spots for young professionals new in the neighborhood including young professionals barely scraping by in such an expensive region of the country - the faces in Dimond and Fruitvale are completely different from ten years ago and no one knows anyone anymore - it’s crazy. These transplants feel like eight years in the bay is a long time. Most of them couldn’t even tell you where they went to high school in the bay when you ask them. The traffic is terrible and a lot of people who aren’t from out here pull up on the block and don’t say anything to anyone. **** is weird. Oakland and the city still have some left over but a lot of it is shifting in terms of hands and influence. The inflection point hit somewhere in 2012 and just never looked back and anyone including foreign money and hedgefunds and groups who bought in 2009-2013 made the most of their opportunity to then turn the region into a rentier class. If you have family and friends here who own god bless you all.

The closing of public schools and the privatization of schools is on the rise as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^Sadly that is sort of me and my wife at this point. I guess in Bay Area standards, my wife and I are considered middle class even though as a combined income, we make a decent coin. We saved a lot of money living in the city since I have rent control but now we want to buy and it's literally impossible to do so in SF or other close cities. So we, like a lot of people, are eyeing Oakland and even buying there can be difficult since there are only so many areas we want to move. Going to open houses are so damn miserable though. Depending on the home, there will be like 6-8 couples all around the same age as us and all doing the same thing as we are. Wanting to expand on space because we're all ready to start a family. The sad part is we have been getting priced out on every damn offer. These couples come in and just offer a bid that we just can't compete with. And I am originally from the East Bay in Richmond area but I even feel if I move to Oakland, that I am become one of those guys that shouldn't be there. It's a really odd feeling needless to say.

We’re seeing a slow crash even as real estate continues to climb and stocks climb and assets climb across the board. The beginning of the top end/ peak of the real estate and rental market was two years ago here in the Bay Area and all the smart money got out-is getting out-is leaving because the state and cities have become almost inhabitable and difficult to manage financially and politically. We’re in an everything bubble right now. The QE unwind continues, multiple rate hikes are on the way, and people will continue to pay exorbent amounts of cash just to be here because everything is here. And that’s the key word “here”. The difference here is the amount of debt being held by consumers on just about everything. This feels like the run up in many ways to the 29 crash or Japan in the 90’s but we don’t know what’s going to change or reverse in the next five years.

The local and state governments are trying to change zoning laws around large public and state transportation systems to allow for developer solutions in residential areas which is going to really impact communities as a whole. Saw Ed Lee at Structure SF in a room full of developers last year at the Fairmont before he died and it was crazy to see the San Francisco pipeline for the next twenty years. Vallejo was being primed as the next up and coming city as was Richmond which both cities are being heavily invested into. See what happens in West Oakland over the next decade and East Oakland is already preparing for it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom