San Francisco Niketalkers, is this really how you guys are living?

I think Communal living> Living alone, the problem is the price. Communal living would be ideal if you only have to pay like $500 a month, not at $1,400-2,400 a month

Each of the company’s first three projects — located at 229 Ellis St. in the Tenderloin;

:stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface:

You know why SF prices are so high? Not because the housing is nice or the city is nice, but because all these idiotic out of towners think there's nothing outside of SF and fall victim to scams like this. Landlords will continue to charge ridiculous prices the more these idiots keep coming in.

Paying $1400-2400 to live in a Dorm when you can get a studio/1 bedroom (even a 2 bedroom in some cases) in the East Bay or Daly City, both 15-30 minutes away from downtown.........

Thing about the TL is it's still in the Northern half of SF, and it's priced the lowest for the Northern half of SF. People will pay for convenience

I wouldn't live there even for free. @#$@ all that! Those people are idiots, plain and simple. No wonder they keep complaining about not having savings when they're spending racks to live in literally the worst neighborhood in California!

Like I said, there's an endless supply of suckers coming in from out of state that fall for things like this or "cute and charming studio in Lower Nob Hill-$1000 below market price!!" Craigslist ads

Problem is developers are not allowed to build up, the rich folks are complaining that taller buildings would block their view of the bridges. :lol:

I wouldn't live there even for free. @#$@ all that! Those people are idiots, plain and simple. No wonder they keep complaining about not having savings when they're spending racks to live in literally the worst neighborhood in California!

Like I said, there's an endless supply of suckers coming in from out of state that fall for things like this or "cute and charming studio in Lower Nob Hill-$1000 below market price!!" Craigslist ads

couldnt pay me to walk through TL

commute probably not that bad if folks wanted to live outside of the city. most of these big tech companies shuttle their workers. it's not like hopping bus to bart, then jumping on another bus, etc.

is it just me or there are so many "help wanted" signs for the lower paying jobs in the city. i always see a cafe/restaurant needing help.

It's just the out of towners that don't want to live outside of SF. 90% of the people I've worked with in SF over the past 5 years are not from the Bay Area. I wouldn't mind if they weren't irritating entitled hipsters, but yeah...

it is super rare that i bump into someone that is a local or grew up in the city/bay area
when i tell them i was born and raised they are kind of shock like i am still able to afford to live here :lol:

They want to convert SF into the metropolis they couldn't get back home in Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

I can't be the only one who's noticed that diversity in the city is almost non existent now.

Try to explain to someone that there used to be black people throughout the city, or that there used to be Asians outside of Sunset/Richmond, Mission District used to be a majority Mexican neighborhood, etc. :lol: I mean I'm glad the Nortenos are gone, but sometimes I'm like damn, possibly getting jumped for wearing the wrong color was better than the smell these hipsters bring around. Most of the residents weren't like that, and they've all been priced out...My old neighborhood is unrecognizable in 2018, except for the fiend convention at 16th and Mission.

Right now the typical SF resident is the small town/Midwestern educated rich kid that wants to live in a metro area with better weather, but in order to do so they need to kick the poor/middle class minorities out first.

Last edited:
They want to convert SF into the metropolis they couldn't get back home in Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

I can't be the only one who's noticed that diversity in the city is almost non existent now.

Try to explain to someone that there used to be black people throughout the city, or that there used to be Asians outside of Sunset/Richmond, Mission District used to be a majority Mexican neighborhood, etc. :lol: I mean I'm glad the Nortenos are gone, but sometimes I'm like damn, possibly getting jumped for wearing the wrong color was better than the smell these hipsters bring around. Most of the residents weren't like that, and they've all been priced out...

Right now the typical SF resident is the small town/Midwestern educated rich kid that wants to live in a metro area with better weather, but in order to do so they need to kick the minorities out first.

i remember back in the day my friend got jumped for her pager getting off the bus in the mission
even chinatown is starting to shrink as the surrounding neighborhoods barely have any asians and many spots are starting to be replaced by your trendy shops/cafes targeting hipsters
there's a mural in one of the alleys in the mission saying how the there is a white tablecloth in mission and shows the numbers of families displaced

i remember back in the day my friend got jumped for her pager getting off the bus in the mission
even chinatown is starting to shrink as the surrounding neighborhoods barely have any asians and many spots are starting to be replaced by your trendy shops/cafes targeting hipsters
there's a mural in one of the alleys in the mission saying how the there is a white tablecloth in mission and shows the numbers of families displaced

The murals don't even need to say it directly. You'll see a mural of Cesar Chavez on a building, and the only people coming out of there are purposely musty looking dudes in black or teal Patagonia jackets. Seriously though, as soon as I see someone in those jackets, I know I don't want to have anything to do with them. 75% of the city looks like they just came back from a 5 day hiking trip with no shower.

Problem is developers are not allowed to build up, the rich folks are complaining that taller buildings would block their view of the bridges. :lol:
True, we're a growing population with an inflated market in a small area. We need to build up and that's going to come whether the traditionalists accept that or not.

To reply to sfc415, it kinda pisses me off that I used to go through people running up on me asking where I'm from or telling me to give up something while these bastards now living comfortably in shifty areas. I'm not wishing anyone to get jumped, I just want them to be reminded that the neighborhood won't change just because they moved there. They should assimilate to the area they're moving into rather than being stand-offish acting like they're above the natives. Sometimes me and my boys meet up at coffee shops on 24th and I swear people look at us like we're the one out of place.

Last edited:
The murals don't even need to say it directly. You'll see a mural of Cesar Chavez on a building, and the only people coming out of there are purposely musty looking dudes in black or teal Patagonia jackets. Seriously though, as soon as I see someone in those jackets, I know I don't want to have anything to do with them. 75% of the city looks like they just came back from a 5 day hiking trip with no shower.

:lol:
yeah, i was just over hearing these two guys talking about that but he used North Face jacket to describe them
they pretty much painted over all the murals once the buildings got sold

Lol there is a lot of sour grapes in here about the City.

I actually disagree strongly with a lot of what people say about the sort of people in SF. You can call them hipsters, call them wtv you want, but the majority of people in SF are super hard working, extremely well educated, driven, friendly, and ambitious.

I’ve lived and worked in multiple cities in the US and outside the US. I’ve never seen a better educated and progressive population in any city. Diversity means anyone feels comfortable and can pursue happiness of their own accord. The only barrier to entry in SF is that you’re not an idiot. Every company I’ve worked at in SF has people from all different background etc working in amazing harmony. This is not true at all in most other cities I’ve seen.

We’re judging people off the jackets they wear now? That’s weak.

Crazy how I can relate to a lot of the stuff being said here but in Seattle...

Lol there is a lot of sour grapes in here about the City.

I actually disagree strongly with a lot of what people say about the sort of people in SF. You can call them hipsters, call them wtv you want, but the majority of people in SF are super hard working, extremely well educated, driven, friendly, and ambitious.

I’ve lived and worked in multiple cities in the US and outside the US. I’ve never seen a better educated and progressive population in any city. Diversity means anyone feels comfortable and can pursue happiness of their own accord. The only barrier to entry in SF is that you’re not an idiot. Every company I’ve worked at in SF has people from all different background etc working in amazing harmony. This is not true at all in most other cities I’ve seen.

We’re judging people off the jackets they wear now? That’s weak.
Diversity is great and I love seeing people of all types. But, when a city is only working in the benefit of newcomers, businesses are pivoting to their needs, people are getting priced out in such a short period of time in result of the sheer influx of richer people, properties getting built that only has the rich in mind, and a city that you grew up in essentially turning it's back at you and those who have been here, it's injustice to me.

Crazy how I can relate to a lot of the stuff being said here but in Seattle...
All of these cities' officials identified the influx of young professionals and are adjusting to them to make bank. That's US for you though, when they built suburbs it was for money, now cities are changing for money.

I don’t want to come off like I think SF is a model city. But as far as places in the world go I don’t think there is a better city for a person of color, or immigrant, who works hard to achieve the sort of success that will set them and their family up for life. And I think that the population of SF is made up mostly of people from all over the Bay Area.

I view SF as a microcosm of what America was. America in 70s-10s drew the best and brightest minds from around the world...sometimes at the expense of the people currently here. But the overall progress our country made was worth it.

Same thing happened to SF. It drew the best, brightest and hardest working people in the country....sometimes at the expense of the people currently there. I think the end result of progress and a better Bay Area is worth it (to me).

I don’t think it is a SF thing..I think cities are fundamentally changing. People used to love the burbs and think that was the dream. Now people want to stay in the cities. It’s inevitable a shift was going to happen where cities became way more expensive in general. Land/housing in rural and a lot of suburbs in super cheap because of the lack of demand now. It’s all a circle of psychology and capitalism.

All of these cities' officials identified the influx of young professionals and are adjusting to them to make bank. That's US for you though, when they built suburbs it was for money, now cities are changing for money.

Definitely; a lot of blame goes to cities as well. When I was a kid, the Mission used to be one of the city's favorite dumping grounds for all types of filth and criminals. I'm like damn, thanks for neglecting it for decades and then making the district safer only when Philz and the rich white kids moved in . . .

moderndarwin moderndarwin Actually those transplants that you're talking about has made SF a lot less diverse than when I was growing up in the 90s etc. Most of those ppl that are working at all the startups that moved from the east coast or midwest etc. all have pretty much the same type of background, they tend to be white and come from anywhere from at least upper middle class to rich families that spent an insane amount of money for private schools for them their whole lives all the way up to the Ivy League/Private univerisity they graduated and then went to work at a Bay Area Startup, tech company or VC firm. They love those Patagonia jackets sfc415 sfc415 hit it on the head with that, and they love living in the Marina, Russian Hill etc. if they live in SF and take the Chariot to commute to SOMA to work. They love taking trips to Southeast Asia or Machu Picchu for IG pictures etc. etc. it goes on.

I hope Tesla and Switch and the other big techies keep coming to Nevada. Bring all them rich folks over here so I can sell my 1600 sqft jawn for a cool 900k and pocket the other 800k.

Whats really sad is the hipster kids parents already have land homes they inherited or paid off, so they can afford to pay their kids rent or lifestyle. The locals who get priced out never owned anything in any generations to pass down or got scammed out of what they did have for pennies by smarter investors.

40 minutes commute at 2AM.

And what part of Solano County? Benicia, Vallejo, Green Valley/Fairfield/Suisun?

Nah, that ain't a 40 minute commute unless it's late at night.

Traffic is already backed up starting out in West Sac. Smh.
Tell me about it! I live in Fairfield and work in San Rafael. I leave at 6:15am to get to work at 7:50 because my shift starts at 8:00.

Back
Top Bottom