RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

That joint is crazy. Think homie was just down here last week. Gonna be checking for it to get spins.

Man...

This is a sad era in NY Hip-Hop. I won’t say it’s dead b/c I know better. Art forms never die they just evolve. If we’re talking about a certain sound or brand of NY Hip-Hop, then yes that’s probably gone forever.

Gotta hand it to Atlanta, they own the game right now.

boom bap and 90's style production?

because grimy NY rap still being made by plenty of ****** and I only halfway pay attention to the scene.

As a whole grimy rap whether from the south, west or east coast will never die.

Maybe lyrical rap is at a downtrod in the mainstream but that's across the board because people's attention spans are shorter. We intake too much content on a daily basis.

If we remove what’s considered “mainstream” out of the conversation, I wouldn’t say Atlanta, or any one place in particular for that matter, is winning. And I live down here. The internet has made it so people from any state/region can enjoy what they like. As long as there are artists in NY who are making quality music, the NY sound will never die. Change and evolve, maybe. But it can’t die.

The way I see it, a person’s personal taste and preference in this day and age outweighs the influence of others (ie radio stations, dj’s, magazine articles, etc.) opinions on what’s dope. At this very moment, a vast majority of people can open an app and listen to practically any artist they’d like. We’re not reliant on a journalist’s opinion on how many mics an album got. We’re not dependent on a DJ finally deciding to play a record on the radio or in a club. You are literally your own personal DJ with access to more dope content than you could even begin to fathom. We have the means of learning about new artists bubbling in any city at any given time. I haven’t lived in NY for years, but the internet has kept me abreast on the different cats making noise to the point where I rarely feel like I’m completely out of the music loop. Artists who peep this reality and produce great music will shine. It may not be the brightest light of all time, but it’s shine none the less.

At this very moment, a vast majority of people can open an app and listen to practically any artist they’d like. We’re not reliant on a journalist’s opinion on how many mics an album got. We’re not dependent on a DJ finally deciding to play a record on the radio or in a club. You are literally your own personal DJ with access to more dope content than you could even begin to fathom.

Understanding this can do so much for aspiring artists who think "making it" is Grammys and a record deal.

Man...

This is a sad era in NY Hip-Hop. I won’t say it’s dead b/c I know better. Art forms never die they just evolve. If we’re talking about a certain sound or brand of NY Hip-Hop, then yes that’s probably gone forever.

Gotta hand it to Atlanta, they own the game right now.

Hogwash. Too tired to explain why tho

boom bap and 90's style production?

because grimy NY rap still being made by plenty of *****s and I only halfway pay attention to the scene.

As a whole grimy rap whether from the south, west or east coast will never die.

Maybe lyrical rap is at a downtrod in the mainstream but that's across the board because people's attention spans are shorter. We intake too much content on a daily basis.

Grimy NY rap is made by plenty of cats who simply aren't good at it.

Long running retreads aren't exempt from this view. Lot of cats need to just hang it up.

Grimy NY rap is made by plenty of cats who simply aren't good at it.

Long running retreads aren't exempt from this view. Lot of cats need to just hang it up.

so what style/sound of NY rap is “gone forever”?

Like I said, QUALITY boom bap.

The cats who are trying to do it now aren't good at it. Some used to be, and have lost it.

It’s 2018 bro with all the music creation tools why do I wanna hear crunchy drum loops and jazz samples.

If trap is wack to you make something new. but going back in the past has always been lame to me. The cats trying to do it now probably are good or better as the OGs you hold in high regard but its just not the era for that and/or youre attached to everything else that surrounded the music for you and your life personally.

What about Don Q, Dave East, Jada, etc.

Dave East is alright. Lyrically he's sound, but IDK. His music is just sonically lacking for me.

Jada is, Jada...

Don Q's music sounds better but who is really going to step up and drop the next classic ALBUM man? A cohesive project that squarely puts NY back on the map. When's the last time we've had a project that really feels timeless?

It’s 2018 bro with all the music creation tools why do I wanna hear crunchy drum loops and jazz samples.

If trap is wack to you make something new. but going back in the past has always been lame to me. The cats trying to do it now probably are good or better as the OGs you hold in high regard but its just not the era for that and/or youre attached to everything else that surrounded the music for you and your life personally.

I got no problem with trap. I listen to a lot of artists from other regions.

I just look at an artist like Kendrick who takes an authentic LA sound and style and makes it still feel fresh.

I feel like a lot of newer artists are trying to strike a balance between having an authentic NY sound but also being able to transcend regional appeal. Like a lot of cats are having an identity crisis.

Dave East is alright. Lyrically he's sound, but IDK. His music is just sonically lacking for me.

Jada is, Jada...

Don Q's music sounds better but who is really going to step up and drop the next classic ALBUM man? A cohesive project that squarely puts NY back on the map. When's the last time we've had a project that really feels timeless?

i think the disconnect is that you dont have those type of college dropout, blueprint, food and liqour, good kid mad city, doggystyle, ready to die,!the chronic, all eyez on me type albums without the big label machine behind it to push the singles and do the media rollouts.

thats the intangible part of a lot of our hailed greats that no one wants to acknowledge.

right now labels aint putting money into an artist like that that is more likely to not live up to the hype and be saigon or papoose rather than an a boogie who will give you 15-20 streaming hits.

granted some of it is solely the music coming out right now isnt at that level for the most part but when you say “wheres that next classic album” you’re looking for a moment thats near impossible to happen without a machine.

Alright just think of it in this context.

The fact that a taste the rainbow, off-brand Waka Flocka soundin' dude like 69 can EAT and set the city abuzz speaks to how much the bar has been lowered.

I got no problem with trap. I listen to a lot of artists from other regions.

I just look at an artist like Kendrick who takes an authentic LA sound and style and makes it still feel fresh.

I feel like a lot of newer artists are trying to strike a balance between having an authentic NY sound but also being able to transcend regional appeal. Like a lot of cats are having an identity crisis.

kendrick has that big label budget for the right producers. before that he just had a great ear and whatever TDE afforded him.

but as it relates to West coast production and sounding modern, they just took old West Coast formula and added trap drums, something that harry fraud kinda does for NY, but people have such a firm idea of NY rap being boom bap that they hear rolling hi hats and 808s and they get rhe unfair criticism of NY copying Atlanta which everyone is guilty of if the only prerequisite is melody, 808s and hi hats.

i think the disconnect is that you dont have those type of college dropout, blueprint, food and liqour, good kid mad city, doggystyle, ready to die,!the chronic, all eyez on me type albums without the big label machine behind it to push the singles and do the media rollouts.

thats the intangible part of a lot of our hailed greats that no one wants to acknowledge.

right now labels aint putting money into an artist like that that is more likely to not live up to the hype and be saigon or papoose rather than an a boogie who will give you 15-20 streaming hits.

granted some of it is solely the music coming out right now isnt at that level for the most part but when you say “wheres that next classic album” you’re looking for a moment thats near impossible to happen without a machine.

I don't disagree with you there, but even kendrick dropped a phenomenal mixtape before he ever got that deal.

Same with J. Cole.

You've got to build to that point organically. No label is just going to give anyone that kind of backing w/o a person having a considerable resume beforehand.

I mean even a guy like Chance put in the work.

When's the last classic MIXTAPE an artist from NY has dropped?

Alright just think of it in this context.

The fact that a taste the rainbow, off-brand Waka Flocka soundin' dude like 69 can EAT and set the city abuzz speaks to how much the bar has been lowered.

I mean ****** need club music. Its room for everyone to develop also. YG went from toot it and boot it to FDT and his first two studio albums which were great.

I think the beauty of what NY has going on right now is that theres Dave East and Don Q, Casanova and 69 and **** like Flatbush Zombies and Joey.

Btw Joey probably has the most potential to make “that” album right now. Has the fanbase, is he on a label (?), and he’s starting to experiment more sonically while still having bars.

You sound like you should get in the field and create what youre looking for via producing, rapping yourself or managing people.

I don't disagree with you there, but even kendrick dropped a phenomenal mixtape before he ever got that deal.

Same with J. Cole.

You've got to build to that point organically. No label is just going to give anyone that kind of backing w/o a person having a considerable resume beforehand.

I mean even a guy like Chance put in the work.

When's the last classic MIXTAPE an artist from NY has dropped?

I agree with this.

I was finna say 1999 but that brings up the point that NY suffers from the dynamic of wanting to relive its past and then ****ting on people who actually achieve that. Their fans arent gonna know what they want until they see it.

Back
Top Bottom