Respect for mother the same as....

So I'm on hold for an hour with the IRS right now and Im just wondering for the men on here
is it dead in 2013 to treat your girlfriend/wife/significant other with the same respect as you treat your mother? Do you keep the same rules for both as the way you talk to them or do you just state how you feel without biting your tounge to your gal?

I had a EX who tricked me (lol) he was great then we got more serious and introduced me to his moms and talked to her mad crazy! Yelling and telling her why didnt she cook it the way he liked and slaving he around. So I dumped him. After I dumped him he did the same talked to me crazy! :smh:

So anyway just wondering what you all do now whats your pattern?

You can be candid without being disrepectful. Of course we all have said something reckless to out mother when we were younger and probably got slapped or whooped in the process. Your ex probably didn't get that type of punishment or he may have saw his father treat his mom like that...so he thinks its OK. Luckily you saw the signs and moved on, because he will probably be that way with any woman he's involved with in the future.

So I'm on hold for an hour with the IRS right now and Im just wondering for the men on here
is it dead in 2013 to treat your girlfriend/wife/significant other with the same respect as you treat your mother? Do you keep the same rules for both as the way you talk to them or do you just state how you feel without biting your tounge to your gal?

I had a EX who tricked me (lol) he was great then we got more serious and introduced me to his moms and talked to her mad crazy! Yelling and telling her why didnt she cook it the way he liked and slaving he around. So I dumped him. After I dumped him he did the same talked to me crazy! :smh:

So anyway just wondering what you all do now whats your pattern?

Idk, but maybe you ignored some of that crazy because the relationship was new. People tend to do this a lot. Keep your eyes open and pay attention to certain interactions. I'm almost certain there was stuff there, but you let it slide thinking it was minor. Ain't no tricks, we are who we are :lol:

Good to see a female post on NT. Guys don't F this up! :lol:

Last edited:
I believe treating your moms and treating a woman should be along the same lines but not really. Aint no woman is getting the same treatment as my mom.

I treat my girlfriend with as much respect as she deserves, which is just as much as she gives me.

I've lost a lot of respect for my mother for what she has done throughout my life, so I guess you could say I treat my girl with more respect than my mom.

No one compares to moms and i love my wife to death. Its one of those relationships that cannot be duplicated.

The love i have for my mother and the love i have for my girl is totally diff and i treat them with the same respect.

Your mother cant be your woman
Your woman cant be your moms.

The love i have for my mother and the love i have for my girl is totally diff and i treat them with the same respect.

Your mother cant be your woman
Your woman cant be your moms.

Basically this. And for the ladies out there, pay attention to how he treats and respects his mother, because it will be the same for you. My mom taught me this. Some females just don't pay attention to that.

It's not the same. A girlfriend/wife will never reach the same level of respect in a man's mind if he had a good mother.

On the same token, I as a man, never expect to reach the same level of respect as a girl's father or father figure unless he's a deadbeat or screwup.

That's just how life is.

I treat my girl with as much respect but it's incomparable on how I treat my mom and sisters . However, I always think of it in a father's perspective in a sense of, would I want my daughter to be mistreated by her boyfriend/significant other?

Last edited:
Ive been in the same situation as you OP...

i kinda of ignored how he talked to his friends/family cuz he was always nice to me...until we would get into an argument...

now i know to not ignore that stuff even if its not directed at me...

a man should respect his mother and his lady but those relationships are different but the respect should always be there..

Idk, but maybe you ignored some of that crazy because the relationship was new. People tend to do this a lot. Keep your eyes open and pay attention to certain interactions. I'm almost certain there was stuff there, but you let it slide thinking it was minor. Ain't no tricks, we are who we are :lol:

Good to see a female post on NT. Guys don't F this up! :lol:

Yeah I ignored ALOTTA crazy lol!

I treat my girl with as much respect but it's incomparable on how I treat my mom and sisters . However, I always think of it in a father's perspective in a sense of, would I want my daughter to be mistreated by her boyfriend/significant other?

Thats true as well... and I have a daughter

It's not the same. A girlfriend/wife will never reach the same level of respect in a man's mind if he had a good mother.

On the same token, I as a man, never expect to reach the same level of respect as a girl's father or father figure unless he's a deadbeat or screwup.

That's just how life is.

You getting audited OP? 
nerd.gif

I love and respect my mom's to death, but in her old age she's taken to act like a child, not the strong independent woman I once knew. So recently I've had to get firm with her, not rude, but on some Hank Hill stuff. Hurts a little.

And which one in avy is you? what's good?

Last edited:

That's just how life is.

This pretty much sums it up.

One day my wife jokingly called me a mama's boy. Even though I knew it was just a joke I shut that down quick. I said however my son sees me interact with my mother is the same way he will treat you in 20 years. That's the last I heard of that.

The two should be treated differently. There are different types of relationships that each have different requirements. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom