Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

Yeah, So when Lee/Weatherford leaves........our two RS JR's (D-Vo and Ponder) Will battle, with EJ being the third challenger.....

What are you trying to say???

The best QB will play, simple as that......

Quote:
October 16, 2007

Shannon: We have to improve on road
CaneSport.com Staff
CaneSport.com
Talk about it in The Tribal Council
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Coach Randy Shannon knows the Hurricanes have a big challenge at Florida State this weekend.

He spoke about the matchup today.

"It's going to be a great atmosphere," Shannon said. "Even though the record (for both teams) isn't like the past, it is a rivalry and has always been a great game. There's maybe two or three times out of this rivalry that I've been here that it's been a blowout. The other times the score's been fairly close, especially the last couple of years. Both staffs are excited about playing the game. It's an ACC game and a road game for us. We have to get better on the road, we have to start off fast. If we can do those things early in the game, keep the crowd out of it, we'll be fine. It's going to be a great time for both teams."

Shannon also said freshmen Jermaine McKenzie and Robert Marve will redshirt this year.

In injury news, Shannon said he's still not sure if DT Josh Holmes will be available to play this weekend. Shannon also said WR Lance Leggett remains out with injury.

Shannon said DT Dwayne Hendricks is confirmed as out for the year, and he said DT Antonio Dixon is also likely out for the season.

Shannon said that leaves "three or four" defensive tackles that can play.

"You have to play them, accept it and move forward," Shannon said.

It's expected Joe Joseph will start opposite Teraz McCray at FSU. Vegas Franklin and Courtney Harris have also played tackle as well as end.

Shannon also said RB Charlie Jones, LB Romeo Davis and LB Glenn Cook are out for the season.

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Q: After losses this year you've said the team has the right attitude. What was the attitude like after this loss?

Shannon: They were more disappointed this game in themselves because of the expectations. The coaching staff, myself will be hard on those guys more than anybody. They always say they understand. They really bear down and came in Sunday, were quiet. Everybody was focused, they answered the questions. We got on Florida State, did walkthroughs, they were sharp, crisp. It was a lot better mentality coming out of that loss to Georgia Tech.

Q: Playing FSU this weekend helps keeps the team focused.

Shannon: The disappointment we were up 7-0 (last weekend) and had a chance. We had opportunities we should have capitalized on. That's the one thing that keeps those guys focused on what the big picture is.

Q: Is Javarris James still your starter?

Shannon: Yes. We have a rotation going. We're not going to let one back carry the ball 40 times. That's the one thing some schools do, use players to their fullest. You make a guy carry 40 times a game. That's 400 carries for four years, that's 1,600 carries. You won't get much out of him when he goes to his next career. We rotate those guys two or three series. Whichever one is doing well at that time will keep going.

Q: What happened to James on Saturday?

Shannon: He did some good things. It wasn't totally his fault. Sometimes it was missed reads. We tell them no matter what, don't take a negative play. You have to make someone miss, make positive yards.

Q: Has this rivalry lost its luster?

Shannon: No. It's on regional TV, so I guess it hasn't lost its luster. We have to win games.

Q: Talk about the uniqueness of this series, with kicks deciding a lot of games.

Shannon: It always comes down to those kind of games. If it comes down to wide left, wide right, I'll accept it. It may come down to a four minute situation where you have to stop someone, end the game.

Q: Both teams are struggling, so does that make this more interesting?

Shannon: It's an intriguing game because both teams are trying to win, get back on track. The standards are high. The coaching staff on both teams feel the same way.

Q: Will there be any changes in the way you do things in road preparation?

Shannon: We'll do some things different at the game. Practice is practice. The speed, tempo of the game is always the same way. Maybe as far as game day warm-ups (we'll change things up).

Q: What is it about your team that has it struggling so much on the road?

Shannon: I really don't know. It's something we have to figure out. It's a thing we have to get corrected. When I was with Jimmy (Johnson) my first year as a player we had those struggles. When I was with Butch (Davis) coming off probation we had those struggles. We have to fix the problem. The mind frame is we need to win one. Then it's that snowball effect.

Q: It seems this series goes in streaks.

Shannon: It does that. The series is always Florida State wins three or four in a row, Miami wins three or four. It's been that way even when (Howard) Schnellenberger was here. That's the one unique thing about this series, it goes in streaks. They're on a two game win streak now. Hopefully it stops this week and we can start a new one.

Q: Are you worried the team's struggles might affect recruiting?

Shannon: No. I think it's great with these guys we've got. Guys come to games, come in the locker room, are supportive of it, say `I can't wait to get here with you guys, give more help, more depth.' I don't know if all (the commitments) will be here, but the one thing about it is they're competitive. They don't worry about who is on the depth chart. They see they can come in and play at Miami. The ones that stay with us will be Miami guys. The ones that don't won't be Miami guys. That's the one thing you have to look at all the time. I've been through it when we were winning for so many years and recruits wouldn't come here because they said, `I won't play.' So it goes back and forth.

Q: Is this an important game for recruiting?

Shannon: Florida State has a lot of commitments also. They are on different type of kids than we're on. We recruit different type of kids this year for some reason, which is unique. Everyone's gong to get their share of kids. You have to get the ones that best fit your scheme and your program. You can get the highest rated player in the nation, but if he doesn't fit with what you want to get done he may never play for you. You have to get the kids that fit what you're doing offensively and defensively.

Q: Is this a bragging rights game with a lot of these players knowing each other on both teams?

Shannon: It's more they get on each other when they see each other in the summer time.

Q: FSU, numbers-wise, has a strong defense. What does that pose for your offense?

Shannon: They're doing a great job. They have four guys up front that are putting pressure, stopping the run game. They've been physical up front. Their strength is their defensive line. Our strength right now is our offensive line. It's going to be a big challenge. Quarterback-wise we have to not take sacks. Kyle Wright's been doing a great job of not taking sacks. But then he has to make the throws.

Q: Xavier Lee is expected to start. Talk about him.

Shannon: Xavier Lee can beat you with his arm but also his scrambling ability. We have to rattle him early, make sure he doesn't get in a rhythm. If he doesn't get in a rhythm he may throw picks, make some bad checks to get us plays on defense.

Q: Is the offense different with Lee in vs. Drew Weatherford?

Shannon: No. They're the same offense. Just Lee can scramble more than Weatherford can, that's the only difference.

Q: Will you do anything this week to prepare differently?

Shannon: No. Practice-wise the tempo has to be fast. It can't be sluggish, lethargic. The players understand - our practice yesterday was upbeat, fast. That's a start for what we're trying to get done.

Q: Have your receivers been helping out Kyle more?

Shannon: They're doing great. They need to catch the ball more if the ball touches your hands. Sam Shields had two opportunities last week. If he comes up with those it's a different situation.

Q: Talk about Marve.

Shannon: He's been on scout team doing some things. We don't let him snap a football (due to a hand/wrist injury), let him hold it in his hands and he runs the offense that way. He's not going to play this year. We can't take any chances. Same thing with McKenzie. He'll be done for the rest of the season also.

Q: Talk about the other young guys.

Shannon: Lee Chambers was coming around, but he got nicked. Demarcus Van **** is coming back around, hit that freshman lull. He's doing a great job for us. Damien Berry has been a demon on special teams. We're excited about that. Orlando Franklin is playing half with Andrew Bain, so that has been good. He's knocking people around. Leonard Hankerson started off the season doing well, hit that lull, now he's starting to get back into it.

Q: Do you see Allen Bailey at defensive line or linebacker long term?

Shannon: Linebacker. Now, if he goes up to 320 (he won't be) a linebacker. He's been doing well.

Q: How do you get Matt Bosher ready to handle pressure from FSU on punts?

Shannon: If Bosher does a great job and we win field position by him alone, we have a great chance of winning this game. We've been giving him 12 guys rushing every day for the last three weeks, tell him get the ball off. Someone's always going to come free, so we put that pressure on him all the time. He's just got to execute and get it done.

Q: USF got first place votes for the first time.

Shannon: That's great for the State of Florida. They've done a great job. One thing I tell everybody you want to be successful, make sure you have a bunch of fifth-year seniors on your team.
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball​

Quote:
FlyDaily
:stoneface:
indifferent.gif
TEAM SEMINOLES
Xavier Lee , antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion ,budd thacker , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball​
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZckitch01

While that may be true....EJ is gonna have to prove it....He wont be handed that spot...He will have to beat out the other 2 QB's.
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball​

this is definitely the first time Ive ever heard or seen someone accuse Bobby Bowden of making judgements on the field based on Race. I think you are WAYYYY out of line.
This is the same Bobby Bowden who stuck with Charlie Ward thru a sorry @#%$ 1st half of his career.

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement: Still 'Dre Day

I got USF with a 2 TD victory.
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

Train has been derailed. :smh:
smh.gif
:x
sick.gif

Ryan Torrain is out for the rest of the season for ASU, SMH Very bad news.

With a toe injury... :smh:
smh.gif
ing this weekend
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES

Rumor out of UCLA is that coach Dorral job may be on the line this weekend vs cal. If we win he keeps his job and if they lose he is out. Defense coach dwyane walker will take over for the rest of the season. People out of the AD are saying boosters are not happy with how UCLA is doing

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

^^

Dude lost his job with the ND loss, at home. The Utah loss was bad, but if UCLA would have won out (except against USC, Cal and Oregon), it would have been seen as an anomaly and not another sign of his inept coaching.

Dorrel was under qualified when he took the reigns, and it clearly showed during his tenure that he was in over his head.
Los Angeles Dodgers​
6 World Series Championships​
USC Trojans​
11 National Championships​

Back
Top Bottom