Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

So this top that Ye vs 50 Cent album rollout?
Creatively yeah.

Sales ain't gonna show it, but the whole game so different now.

Plus 50 vs Ye was meant to decide if Streets Vs Backpack was gonna be the move going forward. This isnt that at all.

It's almost Backpack vs Backpack (I really don't know what we classify Drake as, it could be pop).

yup. Same comparison I made to the yeezus tour. **** was like an opera . His visuals and presentation are beyond anything in rap .

he just can’t really rap anymore to back it up … which sucks . Id still go to a live show though for the experience alone

I think he could rap, I mean he's getting help with the writing. I think that's not his focus anymore.

He could easily Dre an album with his vocals. It seems like he would just rather be the conductor and play the background with him rapping being secondary.

Maybe it's lyricism being secondary in todays climate 🤷‍♂️

What's funny is Ye's lack of bars really allowed other people to shine on this album. I never in my life thought I'd be repeating lyrics from Playboy Carti etc.

When Ye had a pen we would've overlooked all that **** for whatever Ye was doing. Now we appreciate his production but we know to check for the other artist lyrically. This could've been his purpose all along.

You guys don't know how happy I am for my guy Vory. I loved his album earlier this year and dude has an interesting story. To see him get this shine on the Ye album is dope.

What's funny is Ye's lack of bars really allowed other people to shine on this album. I never in my life thought I'd be repeating lyrics from Playboy Carti etc.

When Ye had a pen we would've overlooked all that **** for whatever Ye was doing. Now we appreciate his production but we know to check for the other artist lyrically. This could've been his purpose all along.

You guys don't know how happy I am for my guy Vory. I loved his album earlier this year and dude has an interesting story. To see him get this shine on the Ye album is dope.

Yeah, I didn't mind it, and he included different flavors and something for everyone.

I think he could rap, I mean he's getting help with the writing. I think that's not his focus anymore.

He could easily Dre an album with his vocals. It seems like he would just rather be the conductor and play the background with him rapping being secondary.

Maybe it's lyricism being secondary in todays climate 🤷‍♂️

I slightly disagree because His flow is shot. Writers would help with the lyrics but something is wrong with his flow . It’s broken for the most part .

And his harmonizing is worst. If he doesn’t want to rap anymore he should just go the khaled route or strictly produce / EP

you could argue he was the worst part on every song on Donda , not giving him any excuses for that because nobody else would get that

and this is no hate, I’m a huge Kanye fan

I slightly disagree because His flow is shot. Writers would help with the lyrics but something is wrong with his flow . It’s broken for the most part .

And his harmonizing is worst. If he doesn’t want to rap anymore he should just go the khaled route or strictly produce / EP

you could argue he was the worst part on every song on Donda , not giving him any excuses for that because nobody else would get that

and this is no hate, I’m a huge Kanye fan

Well one issue I found is that often older rappers have flow problems more than lyric issues, and they often can't find the beat.

I found Prodigy painful after he got out of jail, because it seemed like he said **** it. Jay and Nas have had the same problem at times.

I think if you have people writing for you, and Cyhi, Push and Consequence around they can also help you with your flow. Like how Dre would rap like Em or Puff rapped like Pharoahe Monch. Dudes would help Puff rap.

Depends on what you look at as credibility.

Some would say that Kanye's ability to articulate the plight of black people and creatives has been both a gift and a curse for him. We loved him for doing it early in his career but as he evolved and got richer/ further away from everyday people and his views/ message changed it's hurt his image.

The Slavery was a choice debacle doesn't happen for other artist cause we don't even expect them to speak on certain ****. When you hear that **** from the same guy who said Bush doesn't care about black people it hurts a lil more.

Drake pulled a Mike and maybe even a early Hov/ Beyonce by not taking those risks and publically speaking on such issues. Not saying that's right by any means, he has the biggest platform in the world so of course I wanna see him support BLM publically etc but who is to say that doesn't happen later.

I don't think the masses are even looking to drake for that tbh. He never aligned himself with that type of stuff so it's not like we expect it now.

Honestly Lil Baby surprised me with his Bigger Picture song. That's when I really started to think damn Baby might have this **** sewn up for this decade.

Hov always talked about it in his music. So that’s a negative. Drake never aligned himself but still capitalized off hip hop. Kanye clearly has insecurities seemed as though he wanted “acceptance” from them peolple.

Since Drake doesn’t talk about it, he’s absolved from talking about it? Michael Jackson also suffered from that identity crisis.

I posted about this in the Ye thread, In terms of his rapping ability there really isn't much of a fall off there, he was never elite at that anyway. Personally i feel like the only difference is that the relatability is gone for most people. His best attribute in terms of rapping was relatability to the every day person, that's how he was introduced (albeit having the SAME ego he has today)

This version of Kanye doesn't relate to that person anymore & i get why, but i truly think that is the biggest reason why people harp on the lyrics so much. They just don't resonate the same for various different reasons.

Then like Magic stated above, you see the lack of importance lyrics have in hiphop as a whole right now, & i think he experiments way more with singing/medleys now because of the climate.

Just seen this tweet Yesterday

This is for someone who a lot of people have listed as the best current rapper out.... If your not an actual lyricist at heart, the game has clearly shifted a bit when it comes to rapping. for whatever reason the lyrics aren't valued as much.

The Drake billboard gloating in here is just microaggressive Anti-Kanye rhetoric. Acting like Drake changing the game w/ some billboards. You all have hated Drake to point of running the 6flock outta this thread (except for @Lakers ). Now that he's in some hissy tizzy w/ Kanye and all of the sudden y'all love, admire, & gloat his contributions? Nasty. Up in here actin like you like you that stupid as album cover :smh: :lol:

Imagine listening to multiple drake albums to calculate the % of rapping he does. :sick:

Ive never listened to a drake album/tape

This account literally is the "sportscenter facts" of rap, **** be posting the most obscure rap numbers

Somebody probably got a bag for this tho :lol:, at the rate fans give out numbers, this is only the next step.

Imagine listening to multiple drake albums to calculate the % of rapping he does. :sick:

Ive never listened to a drake album/tape
You always in here talking about him though, strange obsession.

Despite the album falling short I think Kanye's presentation, the whole jail cell bedroom thing, even the gear he had on was super dope. Glow in the dark tour to me was the best live rap show I've seen from anyone, this guy's attention to detail on the performance front is up there. I don't understand why all this has seemed to become a contest for some people. Both artists are undeniably incredible at making music, and I honestly don't see any other artists like them coming anytime soon if ever.

Back
Top Bottom