Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Yachty is gonna French Montana his way to being around ten years from now

Yachty nothing special but I respect he has good taste wit beats and features and knowing he himself ain’t gon carry it :lol:

Yachty doing the Soulja Boy **** where he reach out before any other industry _’s and then if they go they remember you was the first to tap in

Bro finessed his way on to classic breakthrough tapes like Back from The Dead and YRN w this method :lol:

Edit: He was the first to tap in w Lil B too :lol:

Pre Soundscan, Billboard called up record stores and literally just asked the managers what was selling that week. Basically a honor system. What could be easier to finesse than that **** :lol::smh:

Hip hop sales went up after Soundscan was introduced :rolleyes

Then they figured out how to manipulate Soundscan, work the mom and pop shops etc.

Early 90s, dropping a single and immediately debuting at top 5 on the charts wasn't really a thing. They figured out you could run up the radio spins and just hold off on putting the song out for sale (can't be eligible for the charts if it's not for sale). Wait til its spinning crazy then drop it for sale and ride up the charts off the combo of spins and sales. Same thing, everybody started debuting on the charts super high after that

I agree, its always been tough to compare current/contemporary success with previous gens but it's because every couple years _'s figure out new ****, then they try to account for it, rinse and repeat lol

RIAA Gold/Platinum is a whole other thing cause they went off albums shipped, as opposed to sold. Which obviously makes it possible to press up and ship a million records and get that platinum plaque without actually selling a million records.

I feel like the new **** just a different side of the same coin. _'s was hot when they killed the bundles, Nicki ranted for like 2 months about that Travis Scott **** :rofl:

Then came the two weeks that shook the music industry. Before SoundScan, it was widely suspected that the sales of nonpop genres such as hip-hop, heavy metal and country were being underreported. In the first week of June 1991, with SoundScan then operating in the majority of retail establishments, N.W.A.'s second album, "Efil4zaggin," confirmed this suspicion by debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart.

It was the first time a hip-hop act had debuted at No. 1, and it was particularly shocking when the act that achieved this feat was one as virulent and caustic as N.W.A. The influential West Coast hip-hop group featuring Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, MC Ren and DJ Yella had changed the hip-hop landscape with its first album, 1988's "Straight Outta Compton," and was instrumental in developing the subgenre known as gangsta rap. Still, most people had no idea how popular the group was until SoundScan set the record straight.

Anybody follows LL page? Dude been walking in the streets like a normal cat - riding the bus, subway, in the mall, the projects etc and nobody knows it him :lol:

Celebrities should be to do this. When Cole was riding his bike throughout the city dolo it felt normal & it should have. Like he should be able to got a Gamestop 125th w/o getting harassed. No one harasses the CEO of Sony.

Then came the two weeks that shook the music industry. Before SoundScan, it was widely suspected that the sales of nonpop genres such as hip-hop, heavy metal and country were being underreported. In the first week of June 1991, with SoundScan then operating in the majority of retail establishments, N.W.A.'s second album, "Efil4zaggin," confirmed this suspicion by debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart.

It was the first time a hip-hop act had debuted at No. 1, and it was particularly shocking when the act that achieved this feat was one as virulent and caustic as N.W.A. The influential West Coast hip-hop group featuring Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, MC Ren and DJ Yella had changed the hip-hop landscape with its first album, 1988's "Straight Outta Compton," and was instrumental in developing the subgenre known as gangsta rap. Still, most people had no idea how popular the group was until SoundScan set the record straight.

Whoever though hip hop would take it this far?

Should be able to and the reality are two different things
I think Cole and or Kendrick could kill the allure of being a celebrity if they wanted to & still push records the way they. Drake couldn't, he flosses too much, he a lick. Rich the Kid a lick.

When I was younger I'd say from the upper west side to about midtown it wasn't uncommon to see a celebrity you've seen in a tv series or movie walking or driving just being regular by themselves or one other person. Those Sex in the City actors were very regularly. The main one & the redhead. Very regular.

Zaytoven has been releasing a lot of in the stash type albums recently (Gorilla Zoe, Dro, BoB, Rocko, etc), and from skimming here and there, it reminds me of why they were in the stash in the first place :lol:

Whats the Dro and BoB ones called :lol:

BET Ye>VMA Ye

this the goat chain, idc. that boy was fly as hell right here:
1619117719167.png

Back
Top Bottom