Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

In the span of a decade two platinum albums ain't farfetched for a Tumblr rapper. Lil Pump a 'Soundcloud' rapper but got two Gold albums and more platinum singles

I meant he was a Tumblr rapper in that he cared more about the aesthetic than the music. Testing didn't sell that well but he still wanted props for making dope music videos for it (6 months late at that)

Under this guise how many of the current generation of rappers aren't tumblr rappers then? Most of these Dudes are Aestethic/Lifestyle Based (An Aestethic that borrows heavily from what Rocky & his team did)

Releasing a high volume of music does not equate to "caring about the music".

From 2012-2021 Rocky's dropped 3 solo projects & 3 group tapes where he's featured on a majority of the tracks. Even Testing which was by far his worst project IMO went gold & had two platinum singles off of it.

Rocky isn't as active as some of the newer cats, but he's put himself into that position where he don't have to drop 3 projects a year to sustain a base.

I don’t think Rocky being a Tumblr rapper negates any of his success. Yams got big on Tumblr too

**** Travis was basically a Tumblr rapper as well. That demographic has grown A LOT as time went on. Mainstream Gen Z fashion and trends (white girls in dirty af1 lows and “mom jeans”) started out as just some Tumblr ****

The next iteration after that was the SoundCloud era i.e. Uzi, Carti, Pump, Dex etc. Multiple platinum singles and a few platinum albums from that group.

Now we got TikTok, which is straight up getting _’s #1 records. Old Town Road being the earliest and most known example.

All this **** is honestly a part of modern rap history to me, none of that stuff can be repeated on those platforms. Tumblr dead, the labels infiltrated and subsequently killed SoundCloud. Verdict still out on TikTok.

Crazy all this **** happened in the span of like 8 years tho. Cool being able to watch everything play out in real time

Watched that Remy Ma Uncensored the other night, and I knew she had a hard life, but it sounded far worse than I remembered.

Watched that Remy Ma Uncensored the other night, and I knew she had a hard life, but it sounded far worse than I remembered.

I keep forgetting those Unsung's and Uncensored on Sunday's. I watch TV One is for Cosby and Different World in the morning and see them advertised, but forget. Hopefully they do a marathon soon.

I don’t think Rocky being a Tumblr rapper negates any of his success. Yams got big on Tumblr too

**** Travis was basically a Tumblr rapper as well. That demographic has grown A LOT as time went on. Mainstream Gen Z fashion and trends (white girls in dirty af1 lows and “mom jeans”) started out as just some Tumblr ****

The next iteration after that was the SoundCloud era i.e. Uzi, Carti, Pump, Dex etc. Multiple platinum singles and a few platinum albums from that group.

Now we got TikTok, which is straight up getting _’s #1 records. Old Town Road being the earliest and most known example.

All this **** is honestly a part of modern rap history to me, none of that stuff can be repeated on those platforms. Tumblr dead, the labels infiltrated and subsequently killed SoundCloud. Verdict still out on TikTok.

Crazy all this **** happened in the span of like 8 years tho. Cool being able to watch everything play out in real time

I agree with most of this but calling some a xyz rapper makes it seem like they died with the platforms or didn't live outside of those platforms Uzi, Rocky, Travis have become A list guys while many of their peers veered off quickly

Mild take: Soulja Boy was the first internet rapper, managed to also stay relevant post MySpace-era

Mild take: Soulja Boy was the first internet rapper, managed to also stay relevant post MySpace-era

Do you consistently play Soulja Boy’s music? He’s going to be relevant because of antics. But let’s not act like his music has replay value....

Reactions: OTG
Do you consistently play Soulja Boy’s music? He’s going to be relevant because of antics. But let’s not act like his music has replay value....

You are right about his antics usually being more viral than his music, but he tends to keep “one” every once in a while...he managed to escape ‘Crank That’ anyway

they was wylin with this one. but I cant stunt in terms of disrespectful disses them Chicago mfs take the crown every time.

I feel it. But at least in Chicago they keep it sinister.

Them sampling that song, dancing on the golf course while dissing the the dead opps. The “I miss you” loop in the back.

Then they got all these suburban kids on Tik tok dancing to it...dawg

I feel it. But at least in Chicago they keep it sinister.

Them sampling that song, dancing on the golf course while dissing the the dead opps. The “I miss you” loop in the back.

Then they got all these suburban kids on Tik tok dancing to it...dawg

Yeah seein tammy and sarah smilin makin up dances online to a song dissin my dead homie/family def gotta hit different

Back
Top Bottom