Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

That’s crazy. And also sad in a way. Imagine a man not achieving **** for himself and having nothing to stand on other than being ______’s ex.

drake-degrassi-notebook.jpg

He ain't grow up around any _'s. His fade clean though. :lol:

Breh got the nasty Stephen A shaped hairline :lol:

****** get at Wayne *pause* way more for no apparent reason and u don’t see HOU$TON HOU$TON come in and “crazy how u can hate an artist and follow him like this” and all those lil gay remarks. He the topic of discussion because his interview was just posted.

I just played a 2min clip of him saying he "associates" himself as black and how people don't celebrate him as a black artist/man the way they do some other rappers. People ain't responded to 10-15 sec snippets. He's giving answers and sounding ignorant in his explanations. He knows exactly why he's not looked at as Kendrick or Cole when it comes to the connection with black people.

So are people taking his words outta context or something? Are we lying? These are his words.

For that instance I wouldn't say anyone’s taking it out of context. I would say we are looking at things through an American lens though. I try to dissociate Canadians of African decent from African Americans because there are some differences in terms of the history of both groups. So I can’t judge him for not having a solidified identity as someone like Cole, who was also raised by a white mother. I’d imagine we can all conceive of some differences between a mixed kid raised in North Carolina and a mixed kid raised in Canada; not to say Canada is this Mecca for equality btw.

I also can’t crucify him for not speaking on racial injustices when these are racial injustices a) occuring in America, and b) that stem from/add to a continual history of racial oppression in our country. We are sensitive about it because it’s occurring in our country. But it seems like a waste of time to expect someone to take a stance when they aren’t from here and they have clear racial identity issues. It would be nice to have empathy from others, but if the empathy isn’t leading to anything substantial, who really cares?

Son says he silently contributes to causes. I’m not his accountant so I can't get myself to call him a liar. Arguing anything else just seems fruitless.

For that instance I wouldn't say anyone’s taking it out of context. I would say we are looking at things through an American lens though. I try to dissociate Canadians of African decent from African Americans because there are some differences in terms of the history of both groups. So I can’t judge him for not having a solidified identity as someone like Cole, who was also raised by a white mother. I’d imagine we can all conceive of some differences between a mixed kid raised in North Carolina and a mixed kid raised in Canada; not to say Canada is this Mecca for equality btw.

I also can’t crucify him for not speaking on racial injustices when these are racial injustices a) occuring in America, and b) that stem from/add to a continual history of racial oppression in our country. We are sensitive about it because it’s occurring in our country. But it seems like a waste of time to expect someone to take a stance when they aren’t from here and they have clear racial identity issues. It would be nice to have empathy from others, but if the empathy isn’t leading to anything substantial, who really cares?

Son says he silently contributes to causes. I’m not his accountant so I can't get myself to call him a liar. Arguing anything else just seems fruitless.

I don't expect him to relate to or speak on black american culture. That's the whole point. :lol:

We all know his background so nobody should expect him to speak like Cole or Kendrick or even a Wale or Meek. The issue is he's looking for that validation and love from black americans and playing dumb to why he doesn't get it. He know he grew up in a white/jewish area in canada going to bar mitzvahs. He has to get over it and realize black americans are never gonna accept him as "on of us" and that's cool because it ain't like _'s here hate him and are stopping him from succeeding. He got his haters but black people in this country introduced him to a sound, co-signed him and accepted him as a hip hop artist.

two things

1) I don't even know where Drake gets this idea that black america doesn't embrace him... take a scroll down your TL right now and watch as tons of black people continue to push aside every flaw to big him up

2) What i think he really means by "black america" is that the "streets" don't fully embrace him & that is something you can tell he's always wanted the validation of.

*****s get at Wayne *pause* way more for no apparent reason and u don’t see HOU$TON HOU$TON come in and “crazy how u can hate an artist and follow him like this” and all those lil gay remarks. He the topic of discussion because his interview was just posted.
Hit dog will holla. You feel some type of way, it's ok.
Luckily there's a platform here to tell the world how you feel.

This raises an interesting point. Is someone like Idris Elba considered black excellent with his prominence in Hollywood despite not having the American black experience? Are Carribean immigrants like Rihanna held under the same light as well?

There's definitely a clear distinction between those who have been here for generations.

two things

1) I don't even know where Drake gets this idea that black america doesn't embrace him... take a scroll down your TL right now and watch as tons of black people continue to push aside every flaw to big him up

2) What i think he really means by "black america" is that the "streets" don't fully embrace him & that is something you can tell he's always wanted the validation of.

It's number two, which is weird to me.

Embrace your corniness. You're never going to be that guy, no matter how many times you mention J Prince.

That's why I respect Nick Cannon. He just tries to be Nick Cannon.

I don't expect him to relate to or speak on black american culture. That's the whole point. :lol:

We all know his background so nobody should expect him to speak like Cole or Kendrick or even a Wale or Meek. The issue is he's looking for that validation and love from black americans and playing dumb to why he doesn't get it. He know he grew up in a white/jewish area in canada going to bar mitzvahs. He has to get over it and realize black americans are never gonna accept him as "on of us" and that's cool because it ain't like _'s here hate him and are stopping him from succeeding. He got his haters but black people in this country introduced him to a sound, co-signed him and accepted him as a hip hop artist.

That’s a fair point. I suppose for a person like him, it’s hard to accept that he can’t have everything. You can see it when he tries to do songs where he talks tough and we’re all looking at him crazy. It’s like LeBron with a hairline/a full head of hair.

It’s like fam... you’re already great... you’re at the top... why do you need this?:lol:

*****s get at Wayne *pause* way more for no apparent reason and u don’t see HOU$TON HOU$TON come in and “crazy how u can hate an artist and follow him like this” and all those lil gay remarks. He the topic of discussion because his interview was just posted.
Just gotta come in, drop a “weezy goat 🐐” along with a YouTube video from ‘99-‘07 and keep it moving

What is even more hilarious to me in this whole thing is that Drake actually admitted that the Sicko Mode verse was directed at Kanye... the #contentkings strike again :lol: :lol:

Mans is on verses talking about pulling imaginary drive by's in Calabases and doing physical harm to Kanye of all people.... and then wants to play victim mode and "the bigger man" role when it comes to Push

two things

He want the streets but it's also the connection you see with Kendrick and Cole's music. We look at them as "us", they represent us well. Almost Pac like. We know Drake wants to be loved by everybody and play all sides. It's worked great for him but he's never gonna get that type of embrace, it's not who he is.

What is even more hilarious to me in this whole thing is that Drake actually admitted that the Sicko Mode verse was directed at Kanye... the #contentkings strike again :lol: :lol:

Mans is on verses talking about pulling imaginary drive by's in Calabases and doing physical harm to Kanye of all people.... and then wants to play victim mode and "the bigger man" role when it comes to Push
It’s easy to bully a punk like biscuitye

on a whole other note, i don't think TDE gets enough pub or noteriety for literally throwing a festival full of A list stars in the Middle of the Hood every year, while also making it a fundraiser & Toy Drive

These ****** have Rihanna performing in the middle of the projects.

ahat ahat gon be furious. He already looking for the version without Drake

:lol:
Has Drake ever even publicly spoke on social issues surrounding the black yute of Canada, The States, or England?

No. He just takes from them, everything from bars/lines to dance moves and "catch phrases". He took " the 6" from a yute from here.

These yutes are warring with each other here and killing each other (obviously not on the scale of cities lile chicago/bmore/detroit etc) but regardless people are dying and he doesnt speak on it. Hes a goof, always has been and always will be if you ask me. He alligned himself with certain blocks for protection so he could move around without worrying about his chain getting yapped like it did so.many years ago.

:lol:

Dude is going to be throwing subliminals at Push and Kanye for the next decade

All this reminded me of how Drake sent his goons to a Pusha show and those dudes were getting tossed like ragdolls by Push's people :lol:

You can't expect people to not have and voice their opinions on the content and character of and from one of the biggest artist in the game and probably of all time whether the opinions are positive or negative.

It's not as simple as, "if you don't like him, why comment". Everyone is going to have an opinion about big artists. And we're in a time where it's very easy to voice an opinion. Dudes aren't "stressing" over Drake just because they have negative opinions about him :lol:

Back
Top Bottom