Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

And it's nothing wrong with being pushed by a major company but don't play people like boo boo da fool saying you independent.

You right, indie or not makes NO difference to me.

But how is he not, based on what we know? If we're going by the whole "Independent = not signed to a record label" definition? Apple Music isn't a record label, they're just a platform who paid a lot of money to him for exclusive rights to the album for a couple of weeks.

is Chance really that extra with it tho?? i don't follow him at all but i don't follow a lot of these new ****** & yet their ******* still gets to me. I honestly don't see anything about him outside of him popping up with that same outfit.... hearing that he walks around with a bible in his pocket is pushing it tho

is Chance really that extra with it tho?? i don't follow him at all but i don't follow a lot of these new *****s & yet their ****ery still gets to me. I honestly don't see anything about him outside of him popping up with that same outfit.... hearing that he walks around with a bible in his pocket is pushing it tho

At the end of the day, people will always find a reason to turn on you. Simply put, people are tired of the good guy shtick.

I mean, there's a definite thing with people in general where if somebody is a piece of **** people tend to accept that's who they are, but if somebody is a super "good guy" people assume they're hiding something.

I don't think people are "turning" on him. I think people just generally don't believe in squeaky clean images, no matter who it is. Most people generally think of themselves as flawed individuals so they see someone like that and think it's a facade.

And Chance definitely plays up the squeaky clean **** nowadays, so I'm not surprised at the backlash. It's human nature

Don't know much about chance at all, just think it's weird that people thinks he's the nice guy when he says the same **** as other rappers only with a happy flow and beats. He still having ****** run up on you and ******* yo ***** in gucci.

Honestly I don't think most here listened to 3 chance songs outside of the obvious ones

Don't know much about chance at all

he says the same **** as other rappers only with a happy flow and beats. He still having *****s run up on you and ****ing yo ***** in gucci.

giphy.gif

Chance and somebody like Future are world's apart in lyrics, public persona, everything

They paid for it. He took money for promo and exposure to boost sales and streams. I'm not sure how that can be considered independent.

I don't see how Apple giving dude money for his FINISHED product makes him NOT independent.

He sold them the product. They were customers.

If they helped finance the creation of the project, that would be another story.

It seems like people are skewing what the definition of that word is.

If you want to argue that he's "secretly" signed to a major as we've found some artists to be, that's one thing. But the scenario you're bringing up isn't a factor in his "independence" at all.

Last edited:
Chance is cool. He's just "cool" though. Nothing much more profound to me.

There's just been a clear push to leapfrog him into a tier and quality of artist that he hasn't proven to be in yet. Weather it be body of work or actual ability. It also seemed that for a while....everybody just went with the consensus about him. That he's a Top tier, conscious lyricist with versatility and hit song making ability. At this point...he's just "ok" in a lot of areas.

I mean THIS ***** won ALL the awards (including the first ever Mixtape to win a Grammy). It's like....somebody said Chance is the breath of fresh air hip hop needs...and everyone should support it...and people went with it.

At the end of the day...I think he's just a genuinely likeable person, that's extremely personable and knows how to make and market easily digestible records. Nobody that meets Chance has a bad thing to say....and he has all the respected power players and influencers in his corner.

Good personality, solid music, GREAT team.

Acid rap - Codeine crazy
No problems - run up
Gucci belt - Gucci flip flops

Just cuz he's likable don't make him the breath of fresh air. He's not bad, just hasn't jived with me.

Then again i'm going off a small sample size so ya'll could be right, not prompted to find out though.

This broad Mia Khalifa really got a show with Complex. I need to become an internet personality man. I'm wastin my time.

I don't know that Mia Khalifa is someone to aspire to :lol:

Akademiks I guess would qualify because he didn't have a visible "career" that I'm aware of before whatever you call what he's doing now.

Same with Desus and Mero.

Acid rap - Codeine crazy
No problems - run up

Just cuz he's likable don't make him the breath of fresh air. He's not bad, just hasn't jived with me.

Then again i'm going off a small sample size so ya'll could be right, not prompted to find out though.

These are facts. But you know how persona and perception works in hip hop. Brand Chance as a "conscious lyrical rapper"......everything will be seen in that light.

IMG_8563.GIF

Acid rap - Codeine crazy
No problems - run up

No Problems is literally him doing a Thug impression, _ snatched a Grammy for that **** too :lol:

Chance sends out a lot of mixed messages, but he's like the least threatening rapper out. It's like a Lil Yachty song. I can take them but so serious. The only thing is Chance does the whole holier than thou religious act.

Drake said on a song that you gon' make him catch a body like that, so he's basically the same as Mobb Deep

C'mon man what are y'all talking about right now :lol:

Look at the totality of that man's character, lyrics, persona. There's a very clear difference

Back
Top Bottom