Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

personally I have no real opinion on Chance, he has a few songs that are cool & he seems to not be pumping the youth towards stupid **** so he's okay to me. Could deal w/o all the gospel vibes but thats a whole other story

End of the day Vic Mensa is better than chance at everything but being clean cut :lol:

End of the day Vic Mensa is better than chance at everything but being clean cut :lol:

LOL!!!!!

anyways

welp. I guess I got time today to defend chance.

Chance is OK for what he does. Im not a hater. I was just tired of hearing that corny redundant gospel sounding song he had with Wayne and 2 Chains every 20 minutes when i was out somewhere. Hes defenately an industry plant to a certain extent. Once he got his feet wet. His parents who are connected helped him meet the right people to advance his career. Thats what your suppose to do. I just dont like when people act like hes this superior talented rapper. Hes average at best. He came in at the right time. Hes a none threatening,clean,positive,go by the rules rapper that caters to that demographic of positive non negative energy type of fans/people. Im just personally tired of all the fake im independent talk. While Apple and the people behind him force him down our throats 24/7 with his 3 Hats and Michael Jackson high water pants swag.

Just tired of the goodie 2 shoes act. Its really getting OD. People think hes independent while hes already getting lifetime achievement awards,yea right lol. Independent to me was artists who didn't have a major company backing them. Or a small local label signed them. Then they still had success with little video/radio play. Early UGK/Ball & G/E-40. Cats where selling good numbers from the support of there surrounding states and cities. Theres nothing independent about Chance. It sounds good when he says it. But theres no straight up independent Rappers who are on billboards/awards shows early in there career/tv show performances/commercials without some major backing.
Why are y'all saying "none threatening, go by the rules, clean, positive" etc like its a bad thing? What rules? :lol: What threatening artists are breaking rules? positive non negative energy type people? bruh what? :lol: this is silly. why such a condescending tone for good things about the kid? I don't understand that. How do u hate on a brother doing nothing but good for kids and people of color etc because he a clean cut dude? huh? y'all want him to be illiterate and from the street?

again, I understand the independent thing and I agree, its wack. but if thats how he gotta finesse to get on so be it. from what we can tell he doing nothing but positives so whats the big deal? I hope artists who talk about polluting the minds of the youth all day also annoy you guys this much.

Chance is OK for what he does. Im not a hater. I was just tired of hearing that corny redundant gospel sounding song he had with Wayne and 2 Chains every 20 minutes when i was out somewhere. Hes defenately an industry plant to a certain extent. Once he got his feet wet. His parents who are connected helped him meet the right people to advance his career. Thats what your suppose to do. I just dont like when people act like hes this superior talented rapper. Hes average at best. He came in at the right time. Hes a none threatening,clean,positive,go by the rules rapper that caters to that demographic of positive non negative energy type of fans/people. Im just personally tired of all the fake im independent talk. While Apple and the people behind him force him down our throats 24/7 with his 3 Hats and Michael Jackson high water pants swag.

Just tired of the goodie 2 shoes act. Its really getting OD. People think hes independent while hes already getting lifetime achievement awards,yea right lol. Independent to me was artists who didn't have a major company backing them. Or a small local label signed them. Then they still had success with little video/radio play. Early UGK/Ball & G/E-40. Cats where selling good numbers from the support of there surrounding states and cities. Theres nothing independent about Chance. It sounds good when he says it. But theres no straight up independent Rappers who are on billboards/awards shows early in there career/tv show performances/commercials without some major backing.

Good post and my man finally putting a space after his periods. :pimp:

I dont listen to him at all. Last time I did was 2012. Well, maybe the one track he had w/kehlani. that was dope, and his ye feature. Haven't even heard his newest mixtape. Just calling out a very silly crab in a bucket type mentality we unfortunately have. Somehow staying out of trouble and spreading positivity is lame and corny but causing and encouraging destruction of the one's own body and community is seen as cool. If that make me a "good two shoes" then so be it.

“Blessings” by Chance is a gem. I don’t care what anyone says.

Why is it so hard for some listeners to seperate lifestyle from the actual artistry or songs?

I don’t care about Young Thug, Uzi Vert, etc. lifestyle but some of the songs I listen to, can’t deny the artistry. It’s simple.

I feel like people are to caught up in musicans lifestyles, and don’t listen to the music. I guess it’s hard to seperate sometimes.

I'm all for positivity, especially when it seems that the balance is skewed and the youth is being peddled negative energy. But homie's whole shtick seems forced.

I'm all for positivity, especially when it seems that the balance is skewed and the youth is being peddled negative energy. But homie's while shtick seems forced.

Yeah, dude is definitely corny. It’s that LeBron James syndrome. Trying to play both sides and be liked by everyone. Man, you gotta be who you are from jump. Cause the veil usually gets taken off at some point.

Birdman and Wayne relationship always looked like a P!#@ and H@÷ relationship to everybody except to Wayne. Crazy thing about the entire situation. Is that he didn't have to stay with Cashmoney forever. He shouldve made Youngmoney by himself and then signed Drake and Nikki while getting distribution from a major. He wouldve gotten what Birdman and Slim makes off of there artist by himself. Remember most of the artist said they wouldn't have signed with Cashmoney if Wayne wasnt there. He was the power name that kept the label popular and afloat when everybody abondon ship because of the bad business being done.

Wayne basically got finessed through his entire career. I dont want to hear anyone say Cashmoney maybe knew the business side better than Wayne. At the time of his contract being up. Wayne was the biggest rapper on the planet. He couldve did anything he wanted. Hes defenately not strong mentally from my observation. Hes had health problems. But i bet you he still smokes and drinks to some form of capacity. Which doesn't help his situation. So making any type of smart decisions on his own doesnt look like his strength.

All of this and he's beyond not strong mentally. One of his biggest issues is that he does nothing for himself. Literally he's a child. I recall reading that he doesn't pay his mortgage by himself, car note, rent, cell phone, he does nothing by himself. He doesn't even get his women by himself, his female assistant(s) does that for him. Hard to imagine one with this much dependence on others being self sufficient enough to be up on his finances, regardless of the label that he's on.

Wayne never got the chance to grow up tho

He's been babied by Baby his whole life

Now he looking like the Mr Krabs meme when them numbers ain't adding up

My only opinion(s) on Chance is that he's an overrated rapper. When it comes to bars and flows he's just above average to me. Coloring Book and Acid Rap are dope and I do Wonder how the perception of him would change if people knew that he was with like 10, 12 other writers tinted up in a studio writing coloring book with them.

I feel like not as much attention has been paid to R&B this year, and it's had a spectacular year so far. Soooo many phenomenal albums came out this year. DVSN coming tonight too.

I'm still befuddled that people think Chance is actually independent. **** is crazy the lengths people will go to trying to defend that ****. He got money from Apple for an album, it's that clear. Not independent at all. I remember when Drake was still pushing that "independent" tale and people were rocking with it for a year or two. SMH

Chance just milking this "nice boy" gimmick too much. It's cool to be regular dude and all that but it's extra with him. BET was treating him like Nelson Mandela with that award. It's obvious dude ain't independent. On wiki for the label it says "self released" on Coloring Book. :lol: Like bruh, you doing too much.

All of this and he's beyond not strong mentally. One of his biggest issues is that he does nothing for himself. Literally he's a child. I recall reading that he doesn't pay his mortgage by himself, car note, rent, cell phone, he does nothing by himself. He doesn't even get his women by himself, his female assistant(s) does that for him. Hard to imagine one with this much dependence on others being self sufficient enough to be up on his finances, regardless of the label that he's on.

Wayne always seemed kinda dumb in his interviews but damn.

Never understood the Chance hype, gave him mad chances and nothing even kinda stuck... I was baffled by the love "F'n Problems w/ Me" got, song basic and boring asf

I'm still befuddled that people think Chance is actually independent. **** is crazy the lengths people will go to trying to defend that ****. He got money from Apple for an album, it's that clear. Not independent at all. I remember when Drake was still pushing that "independent" tale and people were rocking with it for a year or two. SMH

They both were / are but like I said before, it's all about how you view what indie is. Chance and Drake both used the label because they weren't / not signed to a recording record label, which is true, they aren't. So from that perspective they are operating "independently"

Drake's a bit more trickier but he too was independent when he first came out, even during the SFG days. He was signed to Tez's management company who was getting bread from Cash Money (He was already in bed with them from Wayne) to court and sign Drake which eventually happened, I think.

Chance basically leased the exclusivity of his album to apple for a couple of weeks for 600K or something like that. Is that still independent? Depends on your definition and interpretation.

only thing I'd say bout chance is he's kevin harting himself asking for someone to "expose" him bout something

other than that boys grinding

there's really nothing to talk about

No, Apple promoting the **** out of your album takes away independence. Don't care who paid to make the album. When I'm seeing Apple commercials for your album. You're not independent and it's that simple.

And it's nothing wrong with being pushed by a major company but don't play people like boo boo da fool saying you independent.

No, Apple promoting the **** out of your album takes away independence. Don't care who paid to make the album. When I'm seeing Apple commercials for your album. You're not independent and it's that simple.

I take back my stance of him not being independent because of all the features. I never thought of it in those terms. However, Apple promoting it doesn't seem like a good enough answer to defeat his claims. They paid for the rights. Why wouldn't they promote it?

I take back my stance of him not being independent because of all the features. I never thought of it in those terms. However, what you listed doesn't support that fact. They paid for the rights. Why wouldn't they promote it?

They paid for it. He took money for promo and exposure to boost sales and streams. I'm not sure how that can be considered independent.

I don't give a **** if he's independent or not, I don't listen to his music whether he's selling CDs out of his trunk or signed to Universal but to get all that help and act like he's independent blows my mind.

They paid for it. He took money for promo and exposure to boost sales and streams. I'm not sure how that can be considered independent.

It can be considered independent because there's no clear definition. I always considered independence to mean you're not signed to a major label. I don't consider making deals with a label to not be independent. At this point, I believe its a partnership.

Back
Top Bottom