Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Never heard Hey Papi, but talking about the sort of Hov songs he wants to hear in 2017.

Stop capin' for this dude.

Ain't that his whole thing? :lol: To know about Hip Hop? I'm lost.

These new cats sure but I wouldn't expect dude to know every hip-hop song. I'm pretty sure dudes never heard "Suckas Need Bodyguards"

Plus was Hey Papi that huge? I personally forgot about the song. Not the hugest Jay fan though *yeshrug*

Ain't like he was asked "what's track 10 on Cannibus debut"

Hey Papi was a big record. The video is legendary. It was like the part 2 to Big Pimpin.

I hated Ak at first. he grew on me a little bit the past couple weeks. but after today's episode I hate him even more now. and the worst part is that I think he's around my age (late 20's). guy really said Cheef Keef's album was a classic. I'm sick.

Joe and Mal's discussion on the pod today describes Ak.

Ak is corny, but corny is winning now and corny is what is dictating things, at least online.

People who are older look at it differently, because we grew up in a different era. Being cool in this era is being the most popular on social media or having the biggest voice.

In our era it's who would be considered cool in high school. Now, you can be cool online and it can carry over to your life offline.

That's what Wale was trying to say and also what Meek has ranted about. If you're around 30 like Meek and Wale you 're a little disconnected, because you didn't have facebook, instagram, twitter, snap chat, smart phones when you were in high school. They don't seem to understand it.

Last edited:

Ak is corny, but corny is winning now and corny is what is dictating things, at least online.

People who are older look at it differently, because we grew up in a different era. Being cool in this era is being the most popular or having the biggest voice.

In our era it's who would be considered cool in high school. Now, you can be cool online and it can carry over to your life offline.

That's what Wale was trying to say and also what Meek has ranted about. If you're around 30 like Meek and Wale you 're a little disconnected, because you didn't have facebook, instagram, twitter, snap chat, smart phones when you were in high school. They don't seem to understand it.
Being cool in our era was still who was the most popular
laugh.gif
 but I get what you're saying. Just gotta come to terms it's a new generation and these cats gonna do what they do.

Last edited:
That's wild, that song was everywhere. Like you couldn't listen to the radio 2000-01 without hearing it.

I think Akademiks is from Jamaica or something....and came to the states at like 13.

Also, the word "corny" gotta go man. It gotta go

People who are older look at it differently, because we grew up in a different era. Being cool in this era is being the most popular on social media or having the biggest voice.

Why is AK 'Corny'? Just curious.

In fact, what makes someone 'corny' ?

Last edited:
I could have sworn the consensus around here on Akademiks when he was just a YouTube dude was negative. I don't feel like pulling receipts but I know there's plenty of them there. He was placed in the same box with Vlad. 

Now he lands w/ Complex and is more visible and dudes are co-signing him now. 

I could have sworn the consensus around here on Akademiks when he was just a YouTube dude was negative. I don't feel like pulling receipts but I know there's plenty of them there. He was placed in the same box with Vlad. 

Far from consigning dude. In fact, I still feel a way about him blowing up from them BX "chi-wire" shootings.

However, in this setting.....dude presents clear arguments about the current landscape and perceptions of hip hop. And if we're looking at this in the "first take style"....he comes out on top of the arguments vs his counterpart who literally just screams and interrupts people the whole time. This isn't about Akademiks....it's about the points he makes on the show. We are discussing the show.

That dude could say 1 + 1 = 2.....and dudes would say..."nah, that's not true....Akademiks is "corny" :lol:.

I ain't know dude had fans like this. :lol:

Ain't knocking him but it's funny to see y'all praising dude like he's really saying anything. Any 15 year old can tell you what's "hot" currently and who's selling.

This show got Akademiks a fresh start / clean slate :lol:

If you not really familiar or didn't mind the stuff AK do that's one thing

But the i don't get the Akademiks hate crowd need to cool it with that

Ain't knocking him but it's funny to see y'all praising dude like he's really saying anything. Any 15 year old can tell you what's "hot" currently and who's selling.

Nobody is "praising dude" or a "fan" man....:lol:

***** just be saying he makes clear points on this show. That's literally it. We discuss the discussions they have on the damn show :lol:. Like Joe Budden said some dumb ***** about how French had the most memorable verses on features like Stay Scheming....and Akademiks told him hell no....and made a point about how French doesn't stand out on his songs. Which is true. Nobody remembers "pop that" or "stay scheming" for French Montana.

But Y'all rather just say Akademiks is corny every post? Or talk about Joe Budden yelling every post? I guess "shrugs"

Last edited:
Far from consigning dude. In fact, I still feel a way about him blowing up from them BX "chi-wire" shootings.

However, in this setting.....dude presents clear arguments about the current landscape and perceptions of hip hop. And if we're looking at this in the "first take style"....he comes out on top of the arguments vs his counterpart who literally just screams and interrupts people the whole time. This isn't about Akademiks....it's about the points he makes on the show. We are discussing the show.

That dude could say 1 + 1 = 2.....and dudes would say..."nah, that's not true....Akademiks is "corny"
laugh.gif
I guess it all depends on a person's perspective. Because I shake my head in awe at his thought process and logic most of the time. Sure he makes "good points" or will best Joe in an argument ...which they both go back and forth on .Joe isn't ALWAYS yelling just like Ak isn't ALWAYS coming out on top. But let's exclude Joe from this argument for a second because I don't care much for him either. The entire perspective and lens from which Akademiks views things is from this *** BACKWARDS collective thought process of modern hip-hop. There's a reason why he's such an "influencer" now. Look at his target audience...look at the themes in the content he personally promotes. He represents an entire archetype of ****boy from this "new" generation. He consistently perpetuates alot of the ******** from the far left of the modern hip hop consumer base. I don't respect his entire brand. 

Nobody is "praising dude" or a "fan" man....:lol:

***** just be saying he makes clear points on this show. That's literally it. We discuss the discussions they have on the damn show :lol:. Like Joe Budden said some dumb ***** about how French had the most memorable verses on features like Stay Scheming....and Akademiks told him hell no....and made a point about how French doesn't stand out on his songs. Which is true. Nobody remembers "pop that" or "stay scheming" for French Montana.

But Y'all rather just say Akademiks is corny every post? Or talk about Joe Budden yelling every post? I guess "shrugs"

I don't even look at this show as some debate "winner and loser" type ****. Akademiks lives by Twitter and IG and recycles that. Joe yells and screams and sometimes gives good insight from the artist perspective. That's all the show is. Joe got crazy opinions, Akademiks does to. Dude loves Yachty and Logic. :lol:

I don't think some of y'all get the point of the show. It's a faux "bridge the gap".

Akademiks positioned as the "open minded", younger, internet baby, influencer/fan.....in tune with the current nuances and landscape of hip hop.

Budden positioned as the "grumpy, get off my lawn" hip hop purist/insider.....who's in tune with traditional hip hop. It works because they're going to have opposing viewpoints, naturally. And every now and then...connect and open each other's mind up.

Joe might understand a Lil Yachty more. Akademiks might be less dismissive of older, traditional hip hop acts. That's the trade off. The shows a hit. It would be boring if you had dudes from the same background/generation. We gotta cringe at Akademiks saying dumb new ***** sht. We gotta cringe on Budden saying dusty old ***** sht. Somewhere along the line...each will make valid points...and you take it from there.

Truthfully, id like to see other people doing this instead of them...as I think they're both clowns. But these ***** are entertaining :lol:.

Slow news days may kill it though.

I really couldn't care less about the show or it's dynamics. I understand how the show works. I'm speaking specifically about Akademiks. His logic and thought process on the show...doesn't exist just for the show. That's him...that's who he was before Everyday Struggle. Which is why I said earlier...that I don't respect his BRAND. 

I feel similarly about Charlamagne. He obviously is a smart guy, who's knowledgable about a variety of topics. However, I have a complete disconnect with what I believe to be the foundation of which he formulates most of his thoughts and opinions from...so it's hard for me to co-sign the majority of his opinions. 

To bring up First Take again...it's like Stephen A. Yes, I understand he's playing an exaggerated caricature of himself on the show and that's the point...but he's a real life **** and he looks funny in the light away from the show. His brand is wack. That's what I'm saying about Akademiks.  

Last edited:
Nadeska seems like a sweet chick but she's useless. There were literally times in todays videos where she wasn't even in focus for what seems like minutes.

Seems like it

That dude could say 1 + 1 = 2.....and dudes would say..."nah, that's not true....Akademiks is "corny" :lol:.

I think you agree with his side, because that's the side you take on things.

I guess it all depends on a person's perspective. Because I shake my head in awe at his thought process and logic most of the time. Sure he makes "good points" or will best Joe in an argument ...which they both go back and forth on .Joe isn't ALWAYS yelling just like Ak isn't ALWAYS coming out on top. But let's exclude Joe from this argument for a second because I don't care much for him either. The entire perspective and lens from which Akademiks views things is from this *** BACKWARDS collective thought process of modern hip-hop. There's a reason why he's such an "influencer" now. Look at his target audience...look at the themes in the content he personally promotes. He represents an entire archetype of ****boy from this "new" generation. He consistently perpetuates alot of the ******** from the far left of the modern hip hop consumer base. I don't respect his entire brand. 

Basically he coverged mediatakeout, hiphopdx, allhiphop and bossip in to a youtube format.

I don't think some of y'all get the point of the show. It's a faux "bridge the gap".

Akademiks positioned as the "open minded", younger, internet baby, influencer/fan.....in tune with the current nuances and landscape of hip hop.

Budden positioned as the "grumpy, get off my lawn" hip hop purist/insider.....who's in tune with traditional hip hop. It works because they're going to have opposing viewpoints, naturally. And every now and then...connect and open each other's mind up.

Joe might understand a Lil Yachty more. Akademiks might be less dismissive of older, traditional hip hop acts. That's the trade off. The shows a hit. It would be boring if you had dudes from the same background/generation. We gotta cringe at Akademiks saying dumb new ***** sht. We gotta cringe on Budden saying dusty old ***** sht. Somewhere along the line...each will make valid points...and you take it from there.

Truthfully, id like to see other people doing this instead of them...as I think they're both clowns. But these ***** are entertaining :lol:.

Slow news days may kill it though.

Ya'll are saying that Ak is 27 though

Think about that, why is he listening to a 18 year old? He grew up on G-Unit and Dip Set.

How are they bridging the gap? If he were 18 making his arguments and taking the stance he does I could better understand.

This is just First Take about music and pop culture. It might not even be that sincere and what they truly believe. Joe has said he just likes to debate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom