\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

a lot of older merc's are :pimp:

i've always got my eye out for an early 90s 560 SEC

word, that or a AMG hammer

I wouldn't ever think about buying an older Mercedes-Benz unless you're confident in working on it yourself.

I have an '84 500SEC european-spec model. I am pretty sure it is the best car I will ever own. The build quality is so awesome it makes any new car feel like a plastic piece of crap. BUT if I ever had to take it in for repairs, the costs would far exceed what I bought the car for.

I wouldn't ever think about buying an older Mercedes-Benz unless you're confident in working on it yourself.
I have an '84 500SEC european-spec model. I am pretty sure it is the best car I will ever own. The build quality is so awesome it makes any new car feel like a plastic piece of crap. BUT if I ever had to take it in for repairs, the costs would far exceed what I bought the car for.
What are some issues you've run into?

What are some issues you've run into?

I bought the car back in January and it had a few minor issues to be dealt with.

The driver's side window needed to be replaced, the driver's seat belt presenter didn't work, all the interior lights didn't work, and some other cosmetic things like replacing some of the burl wood on the dash. These were kinds of "old car" quirky problems that are pretty easily fixed, but they are time consuming. That is where a shop will kill you as they charge $100+/hour for labor.

Under the hood, the car has been almost bullet-proof. Only issue (although a big one) was the timing chain replacement. For the 1970's/80's Benz V-8 motors it is crucial to change the timing chain since it's an interference motor. If the chain stretches too much and jumps time, the motor is toast. So it's just important preventative maintenance. The parts from MB cost about $500 and I did it myself. If a shop did that job it would probably be closer to $1500.

I don't know much about those 90's SLs, was honestly never a fan of that design. I'm more a classic car lover, so the previous SL design of the 70's/80's is more appealing to me. In the mid 90's Mercedes was known for using bad engine wiring harnesses. The outside casing is known to degrade/crack, so that is something to look for in a car from that era.

As with any old car, service records are very, very important. If you get the wrong Benz that has been mistreated it can be a nightmare.

Last edited:
yeah I read up on that wiring issue. apparently everything after '97 used a different harness that didnt cause any issues. they can also replace the harnesses on the older ones, but it requires removing the engine and a whole bunch of other things and costs up to $15k which is absolutely absurd. that's one of the biggest issues with the 90's SL and I'd make sure that was taken care of before even considering purchasing one.

Anyone in here familiar with having an older car as their daily driver??...
Like an older muscle car or so... Late 60's, early 70's models...
Any help is appreciated...
It's not recommended because it guzzles up gas and you're going to pay a lot of money just to drive it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the cars from that era be considered classics and thus you can only drive those a certain number of miles a year?

yeah I read up on that wiring issue. apparently everything after '97 used a different harness that didnt cause any issues. they can also replace the harnesses on the older ones, but it requires removing the engine and a whole bunch of other things and costs up to $15k which is absolutely absurd. that's one of the biggest issues with the 90's SL and I'd make sure that was taken care of before even considering purchasing one.

Seems like you know what to do. Just find someone else that already paid for the repair and let them take the hit :tongue:

If I was going to go for a 90's Benz I would be all over the e320 convertible. I've seen a few of these around town and they look awesome. Timeless and elegant like a Benz should be, but if you're used to driving a C63 you probably thirst for the V8 power so SL is the way to go.

Last edited:
stumbled across these the other day...

my first whip in '03 i had a 3rd gen maxima GXE fully loaded joint with the luxury package.:nthat: hella bunz kiddd

Seems like you know what to do. Just find someone else that already paid for the repair and let them take the hit :tongue:
If I was going to go for a 90's Benz I would be all over the e320 convertible. I've seen a few of these around town and they look awesome. Timeless and elegant like a Benz should be, but if you're used to driving a C63 you probably thirst for the V8 power so SL is the way to go.

I'd be all over either of these....(including that SL I posted earlier)

1994. (not mine)

1994_mercedes-benz_s-class_s600_coupe_10609839.jpg

Still looks good.

Also another classic.

1990. (not mine)

1990-mercedes-benz-560-class-2-dr-560sec-coupe-pic-22920.jpeg

My second and favorite car of all-time, I miss my baby, This car would take the soul out of your body, when you pushed the throttle.

When I think of classic MBs, bland 90s models don't come into mind...

Well of course...I'm sure most Mercedes enthusiasts would take a 300SL Gullwing over 1990's models. But i'm not Jay Leno with millions to burn, so I have to live with that :tongue:

Regardless, in the 80's and into the 90's those cars were some of the best made in their time. They have a certain feel that I can't quite describe, but no other car that I ride in lives up to it.

Bland is just a matter of opinion. I call most of today's cars bland, where all cars look much too similar. It's possible to mistake a Hyundai for an MB if you don't look at the badges. That's crazy to me.

Last edited:
My second and favorite car of all-time, I miss my baby, This car would take the soul out of your body, when you pushed the throttle.
Dope SS, my unk has a Grand National puttin over 7 to the wheels, I would love to drive either one 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom