Please Don't Call Me African-American....Im BLACK

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

This argument also has undertones of supremacy struggles, "internal" separatistism and misguided pride within constructed "groups" of people. It is nothing new.

Within the "black" race. Africans don't want to be associated with African Americans and vice versa.

Dominicans don't want to be called black (Word to Ninjahood).

Certain Africans don't want to be called Africans, but rather their country of origin. Within countries in Africa itself, there is constant Ethnic conflict caused by Europeans building nations around groups of people weren't necessarily united before the white man got there. Which tribe/ ethnic group within these countries gets to hold power?

Latino is an all-inclusive term, but different groups of Latinos don't necessarily get along (Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans etc.)

It is human-nature to create these type of divides for the sake of conflict and control, and the white man capitalized on it by creating his own (Race as a category of people).

If only Black people existed on this planet, there would still be divides and prejudices leading to conflict and hatred. Again, it's human-nature.

This is why I take racial/ ethnic/ continental pride with a grain of salt. It's all a lie.
pimp.gif
Dropping knowledge 
pimp.gif

This argument also has undertones of supremacy struggles, "internal" separatistism and misguided pride within constructed "groups" of people. It is nothing new.

Within the "black" race. Africans don't want to be associated with African Americans and vice versa.

Dominicans don't want to be called black (Word to Ninjahood).

Certain Africans don't want to be called Africans, but rather their country of origin. Within countries in Africa itself, there is constant Ethnic conflict caused by Europeans building nations around groups of people weren't necessarily united before the white man got there. Which tribe/ ethnic group within these countries gets to hold power?

Latino is an all-inclusive term, but different groups of Latinos don't necessarily get along (Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans etc.)

It is human-nature to create these type of divides for the sake of conflict and control, and the white man capitalized on it by creating his own (Race as a category of people).

If only Black people existed on this planet, there would still be divides and prejudices leading to conflict and hatred. Again, it's human-nature.

This is why I take racial/ ethnic/ continental pride with a grain of salt. It's all a lie.
pimp.gif
Dropping knowledge 
pimp.gif

I find it funny when people try so hard to be politically correct, and call black people from europe or anywhere else african americans.

I find it funny when people try so hard to be politically correct, and call black people from europe or anywhere else african americans.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by torgriffith

But why do Carib./Afr. get mad at EACH OTHER when OTHER people are labeling them wrong? I don't understand the beef.

when you go down there it's not just the Caribbean islands as one culture. Each island has it;s own distinct culture down there. Sorta like a big city with with a bunch of different hoods where people can tell where you from by the way you talk, dress, act, what you eat etc. The islands are more polarized because the geography isolates each individual group.  To an american, all West Indian people have Jamaican accents. But to a West Indian, A Trinidad doesn't sound like a Jamaican. Someone from Grenada can tell if someone is from Barbados.  Plus different islands were owned by different colonial powers like one group of island being british colonies, while the next set may be french etc. European influence plays a big roll on the cultures variety too. Even to now.
I understand all of that but you didn't answer my question.
laugh.gif

Why don't Caribbean folks mess with Africans. Anyone?
Africans tend to look down on us Carib folks. They see us as inferior. Amd I know back in the West Indies, all my aunts and uncles were taught in SCHOOL that they are better than the Africans and the "Yankees". Older Africans tend to look down on us born outside of Africa because we weren't "strong enough" to overcome oppression, which is one of the reasons I've heard as to why there's so much tension between the groups.

But why do Carib./Afr. get mad at EACH OTHER when OTHER people are labeling them wrong? I don't understand the beef.

when you go down there it's not just the Caribbean islands as one culture. Each island has it;s own distinct culture down there. Sorta like a big city with with a bunch of different hoods where people can tell where you from by the way you talk, dress, act, what you eat etc. The islands are more polarized because the geography isolates each individual group.  To an american, all West Indian people have Jamaican accents. But to a West Indian, A Trinidad doesn't sound like a Jamaican. Someone from Grenada can tell if someone is from Barbados.  Plus different islands were owned by different colonial powers like one group of island being british colonies, while the next set may be french etc. European influence plays a big roll on the cultures variety too. Even to now.
laugh.gif

Africans tend to look down on us Carib folks. They see us as inferior. Amd I know back in the West Indies, all my aunts and uncles were taught in SCHOOL that they are better than the Africans and the "Yankees". Older Africans tend to look down on us born outside of Africa because we weren't "strong enough" to overcome oppression, which is one of the reasons I've heard as to why there's so much tension between the groups.

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

laugh.gif

I've also heard older West Africans say the ones that were sent out as slaves were the weak, lazy, worthless, anti-social members of society that Africans themselves sold to the Europeans.  The $#@$ people make up to legitimize their own existence and prove that they're better than someone else never ceases to amaze me.

Old people are the worst and it's a vicious cycle. Many black/white people a breeding a whole nother generation of mindless, ignorant fools.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

laugh.gif

I've also heard older West Africans say the ones that were sent out as slaves were the weak, lazy, worthless, anti-social members of society that Africans themselves sold to the Europeans.  The $#@$ people make up to legitimize their own existence and prove that they're better than someone else never ceases to amaze me.

Old people are the worst and it's a vicious cycle. Many black/white people a breeding a whole nother generation of mindless, ignorant fools.
smh.gif

Good points by various people in this thread.
But i'm sticking by what I said. Please don't call me African-American.

Its a term that doesn't really fit me just because my skin is dark. My great-grandfather was 100% Italian, you can still see him in my nose. My fathers family has Cherokee Indian blood **just like EVERY black in the south claims lol**. All im saying is that Im way more than just "african-american" call me BLACK. thank you.

Its a term that doesn't really fit me just because my skin is dark. My great-grandfather was 100% Italian, you can still see him in my nose. My fathers family has Cherokee Indian blood **just like EVERY black in the south claims lol**. All im saying is that Im way more than just "african-american" call me BLACK. thank you.

Originally Posted by Faint Dj3

roll.gif

Yep, it's up to you to decide whatever the hell you wanna be called. It's all bull$$#t anyways. My main message in this thread is for certain black NTers not to come at me with that "Uncle Tom" and "We are all the same and united" and "They stole out heritage" nonsense, because the truth is the African diaspora is very diverse and not unified.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

roll.gif

Yep, it's up to you to decide whatever the hell you wanna be called. It's all bull$$#t anyways. My main message in this thread is for certain black NTers not to come at me with that "Uncle Tom" and "We are all the same and united" and "They stole out heritage" nonsense, because the truth is the African diaspora is very diverse and not unified.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Are Whites called European-American? No they are not ... they're called AMERICAN. That's it.

That's the problem I have with it.

They don't say European-American but they say $#*% like

Albanian American
French American
German American
Irish American
Italian American

all the titles are just another way to say where has your family came from
y'all negro are reaching
No they do not.

I would much rather be called Black American than African American even though I don't necessarily like the term 'Black' either.

The average White person isn't called ALL THOSE TITLES. They're called American ... but minorities get the privilege of having a dash put in their "title". Get outta here w/ that. They want to GROUP us, label us, as everything else but JUST AMERICAN.

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Are Whites called European-American? No they are not ... they're called AMERICAN. That's it.

That's the problem I have with it.

They don't say European-American but they say $#*% like

Albanian American
French American
German American
Irish American
Italian American

all the titles are just another way to say where has your family came from
y'all negro are reaching
No they do not.

I would much rather be called Black American than African American even though I don't necessarily like the term 'Black' either.

The average White person isn't called ALL THOSE TITLES. They're called American ... but minorities get the privilege of having a dash put in their "title". Get outta here w/ that. They want to GROUP us, label us, as everything else but JUST AMERICAN.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

If you were born in the United States, then you're American, plain and simple.

Born in Africa but now a US citizen? African-American.

Born in Asia but now a US citizen? Asian-American.

Born in Europe but now a US citizen? European-American.
QFT

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

If you were born in the United States, then you're American, plain and simple.

Born in Africa but now a US citizen? African-American.

Born in Asia but now a US citizen? Asian-American.

Born in Europe but now a US citizen? European-American.
QFT

Yep, it's up to you to decide whatever the hell you wanna be called. It's all bull$$#t anyways. My main message in this thread is for certain black NTers not to come at me with that "Uncle Tom" and "We are all the same and united" and "They stole out heritage" nonsense, because the truth is the African diaspora is very diverse.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

Its always all about you.
You do the same mess in every thread.
It's become sickening.

Yep, it's up to you to decide whatever the hell you wanna be called. It's all bull$$#t anyways. My main message in this thread is for certain black NTers not to come at me with that "Uncle Tom" and "We are all the same and united" and "They stole out heritage" nonsense, because the truth is the African diaspora is very diverse.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

It's become sickening.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

It's become sickening.

Yes it is about me, and calling "black" people out on the same ignorant behavior they accuse other groups of people of exhibiting.

You can't play the "white people judge me based on my skin color" card yet expect all black people to act or be a certain way. Double standards and contradictions FTL. This thread just gives me ammo for future discussions on those topics.

carry on.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

It's become sickening.

Yes it is about me, and calling "black" people out on the same ignorant behavior they accuse other groups of people of exhibiting.

You can't play the "white people judge me based on my skin color" card yet expect all black people to act or be a certain way. Double standards and contradictions FTL. This thread just gives me ammo for future discussions on those topics.

carry on.

INIDIVIDUALISM FTW

It's become sickening.

I feel ya Anton, i dont like anyone coming at me with some "get educated" mess like they can tell my level of education cause they don't agree. lol but that comes with life

Back
Top Bottom