packers and 49ers overrated?

Originally Posted by Jay02

Why does it say Packers in the thread title?
so our saying that the packers are not overrated
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

First, the 49ers. There seems to be a great disparity between San Francisco fans and critics. Here's what I know, they're extremely well-coached. I've said before that I know Harbaugh is legit but I'm shocked by the 7-1 start. It's safe to say no one, fans or critics, expected such a hot start. Harbaugh has taken the same "decent" roster inherited from Singletary and made the 49ers not only relevant in the NFC West, but the entire conference in only half a season. The main difference between Harbaugh and Singletary is that Singletary was primarily a motivator and disciplinarian, Harbaugh still embodies some of those strong qualities but also expands his role as HC as a more than adequate tactician. Harbaugh has the locker room believing and I believe the players feel more comfortable with him as a result. I mean the guy had the moxie to call two passing plays to their LT and NT.
In addition, their defense is extremely stout and NFC Championship caliber. Probably one of the more less talked about defenses in the league along with Cincinnati despite tremendous success stopping opponents. Everything is predicated on their front seven and it's scary to believe that the secondary could still use improvement with player personnel. The 49ers have at least three to four quality wins against top-tier competition. Having only played one division opponent, SF should be able to go through that division with relative ease. Offensively, their gameplan is clear and that's to establish Gore early and often. That strong offensive line with Staley, Iupati, and Davis deserves a lot of credit. I think eventually good defenses will be able to take that away and force Alex Smith to step up. Now that's their one real weakness, Smith. Harbaugh has done wonders to make the former #1 overall pick a limited "game-manager" who avoids mistakes (turnovers) at all costs. Long-term the QB position may be a hindrance to the 49ers' playoff success. Kaepernick hasn't impressed me thus far and at the moment he doesn't warrant a second-round pick that SF used to select him. VD and Crabby are good weapons and it would help to somehow get Braylon on track. 

The 49ers face a real big barometer test with potential conference implications this weekend against the Giants. A loss certainly wouldn't damage their credibility just yet, but a win at Candlestick could raise morale and confidence to another level, not to mention one step closer to solidifying home-field advantage. Either way I do believe the 49ers will come down to earth a bit, but it's very likely they finish with a record close to 11-5 or 12-4. Depending on the matchup it's very possible SF loses their first playoff game looking into the future. Under pressure, we might see a different Alex Smith that may force throws and make some mistakes with the football. Regardless Harbaugh has done a great job with the team, although I don't like his reaction to Jim Schwartz after the Lions game. 

As for the Packers, GB requires a lot less words. They're completely, 100%, unequivocally legitimate and as good as their undefeated record indicates. Obviously they won't finish 16-0 but it's not out of the realm of possibility that GB finishes 14-2 with home-field advantage. Aaron Rodgers is playing unreal and executing that McCarthy offense to perfection. I still think Tom Brady is the best QB in the league based on his larger body of work, but THIS SEASON it's clear A-Rod has been the best at his position. He spreads the ball around so well and all the good Packer receivers manage to stay relatively happy with their production (targets). Only minor weakness on offense is the running game, but come playoff time McCarthy utilizes Kuhn more and Starks is built for the playoffs because of less wear and tear (touches) during the season platooning with Grant.

One major concern I have about their defense that most people aren't noticing is B.J. Raji. Let me preface this by saying, he's my boy but I have to be unbiased. It seems teams are paying much more attention to Raji and understandably so, but I just get the feeling he's not creating the same havoc as last year and that could be a product of him being blocked easier. Just something to keep an eye on second-half of the season. I agree with the NTer that stated how opportunistic GB's defense is. They take risks and create a lot of turnovers. Capers coaches them up with a bend but don't break philosophy. Opposing offenses and receivers in particular have been able to get yards on the Packers, but to no avail judging by their pristine record. Charles Woodson does get away with assault when locked up with WRs. I said it at the beginning of the season when everyone was hyped about the Eagles' "Dream Team," GB was still the team to beat as defending champs and somehow they managed to get even better through the off-season. 
downloader.php

Originally Posted by moe200069

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Lets wait until the niners play a good team like the ravens or steelers first
eyes.gif

Lions, Bengals, Giants, and a Bucs team that was starting hot and yet you still wouldn't consider this 49ers team to be "good?"

the passing game, pass defense, and redzone offense may be a liability down the stretch, but i don't care as long as they're winning. these close, 1-6point games that they've won this season, were the same type of games that they'd lose in the majority of the past decade. this team finally has a winning mentality.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by moe200069

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Lets wait until the niners play a good team like the ravens or steelers first
eyes.gif

Lions, Bengals, Giants, and a Bucs team that was starting hot and yet you still wouldn't consider this 49ers team to be "good?"

the passing game, pass defense, and redzone offense may be a liability down the stretch, but i don't care as long as they're winning. these close, 1-6point games that they've won this season, were the same type of games that they'd lose in the majority of the past decade. this team finally has a winning mentality.
He's a Niners fan being sarcastic predicting what the media/haters will say next.

I really hope SF has everything wrapped up and rests guys when playing Pitt, that'd be nice

Originally Posted by FourReal

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

First, the 49ers. There seems to be a great disparity between San Francisco fans and critics. Here's what I know, they're extremely well-coached. I've said before that I know Harbaugh is legit but I'm shocked by the 7-1 start. It's safe to say no one, fans or critics, expected such a hot start. Harbaugh has taken the same "decent" roster inherited from Singletary and made the 49ers not only relevant in the NFC West, but the entire conference in only half a season. The main difference between Harbaugh and Singletary is that Singletary was primarily a motivator and disciplinarian, Harbaugh still embodies some of those strong qualities but also expands his role as HC as a more than adequate tactician. Harbaugh has the locker room believing and I believe the players feel more comfortable with him as a result. I mean the guy had the moxie to call two passing plays to their LT and NT.
In addition, their defense is extremely stout and NFC Championship caliber. Probably one of the more less talked about defenses in the league along with Cincinnati despite tremendous success stopping opponents. Everything is predicated on their front seven and it's scary to believe that the secondary could still use improvement with player personnel. The 49ers have at least three to four quality wins against top-tier competition. Having only played one division opponent, SF should be able to go through that division with relative ease. Offensively, their gameplan is clear and that's to establish Gore early and often. That strong offensive line with Staley, Iupati, and Davis deserves a lot of credit. I think eventually good defenses will be able to take that away and force Alex Smith to step up. Now that's their one real weakness, Smith. Harbaugh has done wonders to make the former #1 overall pick a limited "game-manager" who avoids mistakes (turnovers) at all costs. Long-term the QB position may be a hindrance to the 49ers' playoff success. Kaepernick hasn't impressed me thus far and at the moment he doesn't warrant a second-round pick that SF used to select him. VD and Crabby are good weapons and it would help to somehow get Braylon on track. 

The 49ers face a real big barometer test with potential conference implications this weekend against the Giants. A loss certainly wouldn't damage their credibility just yet, but a win at Candlestick could raise morale and confidence to another level, not to mention one step closer to solidifying home-field advantage. Either way I do believe the 49ers will come down to earth a bit, but it's very likely they finish with a record close to 11-5 or 12-4. Depending on the matchup it's very possible SF loses their first playoff game looking into the future. Under pressure, we might see a different Alex Smith that may force throws and make some mistakes with the football. Regardless Harbaugh has done a great job with the team, although I don't like his reaction to Jim Schwartz after the Lions game. 

As for the Packers, GB requires a lot less words. They're completely, 100%, unequivocally legitimate and as good as their undefeated record indicates. Obviously they won't finish 16-0 but it's not out of the realm of possibility that GB finishes 14-2 with home-field advantage. Aaron Rodgers is playing unreal and executing that McCarthy offense to perfection. I still think Tom Brady is the best QB in the league based on his larger body of work, but THIS SEASON it's clear A-Rod has been the best at his position. He spreads the ball around so well and all the good Packer receivers manage to stay relatively happy with their production (targets). Only minor weakness on offense is the running game, but come playoff time McCarthy utilizes Kuhn more and Starks is built for the playoffs because of less wear and tear (touches) during the season platooning with Grant.

One major concern I have about their defense that most people aren't noticing is B.J. Raji. Let me preface this by saying, he's my boy but I have to be unbiased. It seems teams are paying much more attention to Raji and understandably so, but I just get the feeling he's not creating the same havoc as last year and that could be a product of him being blocked easier. Just something to keep an eye on second-half of the season. I agree with the NTer that stated how opportunistic GB's defense is. They take risks and create a lot of turnovers. Capers coaches them up with a bend but don't break philosophy. Opposing offenses and receivers in particular have been able to get yards on the Packers, but to no avail judging by their pristine record. Charles Woodson does get away with assault when locked up with WRs. I said it at the beginning of the season when everyone was hyped about the Eagles' "Dream Team," GB was still the team to beat as defending champs and somehow they managed to get even better through the off-season. 
downloader.php

laugh.gif

The 49ers play and win in an ugly ugly fashion but they are legit and not over rated. Some teams dont have to air the ball out to win games. Defense and field goals can be enough. Also patrick willis is the best mlb in the game.

they'll split the ravens steelers games, most likely beating pittsburgh at home and losing in baltimore. if they win both that would be a beautiful thing tho

To me, the 49ers and Ravens are very similar.  If they can control tempo and keep game low scoring they stand a chance vs. anyone.  I don't see the 49ers as overrated because they have passed nearly every test they've encountered.  They have a decent running game and minimize their errors. 

To me it still seems like no one will want to play the Steelers or Patriots at their place in the AFC so taking away home field adv. from either would be key.

In the NFC,  It would be difficult for me to see the Saints losing @ home to anyone but the Packers( which probably won't happen, so its key for SF to keep their record at or better than NO ).

My personal current rankings:

NFC- Packers, 49ers, Saints, Giants, Bears, Cowboys ( Lions, Falcons )
AFC - Steelers, Patriots, Texans, Ravens, Bengals, Raiders ? ( Jets, Titans)

This season is so crazy I could see the 9ers beating the packers. Not gonna argue about the better team or anything, stranger things have happened.

Back
Top Bottom