Opioid Epidemic 'Getting Worse Instead of Better,' Public Health Officials Warn

I’ve seen one of my closest friends who had the most potential out of all of our crew lose it all over pills.

Strongest dude I knew but couldn’t beat those inner demons.

Opioid Overdoses Killed 72,000 Americans Last Year, CDC Reports
The epidemic rages on: Opioid overdoses killed a record 72,000 Americans last year, CDC reports
  • Drug overdose deaths increased by 6.6 percent last year over 2016
  • The CDC's latest preliminary data show that fentanyl remains the top killer
  • Prescription drug and heroin overdoses are down, but doctors are giving patients as many painkillers as ever
https://video.dailymail.co.uk/previ...124728290/636x382_MP4_4357318772124728290.mp4

In 2017, more than 72,000 people in the US died of opioid overdoses, eclipsing 2016's 64,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's preliminary data.

The US has scrambled to try to get a handle on the widespread misuse of both prescription painkillers and illicit street drugs like heroin and fentanyl.

Congress has passed a slew of bills related to the highly addictive drugs, but the Senate has not taken them up yet and despite President Trump's declaration of pubic health emergency, no additional funding has been allocated to the cause.

Rising overdose death rates are fueled primarily by powerful synthetic opioids like fentanyl which many turn to after building tolerance to prescription drugs and heroin.

The opioid crisis continues to account for more than 1.5 percent of American deaths - more than the one percent killed in the Vietnam War in 1968.

Opioid overdose deaths continue to climb across the US, according to the CDC's preliminary data. Some states saw improvements (blue) but in Nebraska, the death toll rose by a third

Meanwhile, doctors in the US continue to write just as many opioid prescriptions as they have for the last several years.

Epidemics tend to follow similar patterns - whether they are are epidemics of communicable diseases, like the flu, or those spread by 'social contagion', like addiction.

That model would predict that we are have passed the peak of the opioid crisis - but the latest numbers suggest otherwise.

The prowess of medicine in the US keeps most disease outbreaks in check, but has failed to slow the spread of an addiction and overdose crisis. The US has the highest overdose death rate of any country in the world.

Every day in 2016, 116 Americans died of opioid-related causes.

And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) latest estimates suggests that there were more such fatalities daily in 2017.

Though not all of the data is final, the agency reports that there was a 6.6 percent increase opioid overdoses.

No corner of the US has been untouched by the opioid epidemic, but some regions of the country, like West Virginia and the Appalachian region have been hit particularly hard.

In that state, the CDC estimates that more than 1,000 people died in 2017 alone.

While its total death toll of 152 in 2017 was relatively low, Nebraska saw that greatest increase in opioid overdose deaths of any state, with fatalities rising by a third over 2016.

The latest data does offer some cause for hope, however. In thirteen states, including Mississippi, Utah, Oklahoma, Vermont, New Mexico and Wyoming, overdose deaths declined from 2016 to 2017.

The 21st Century Cures Act, passed under former President Barack Obama in 2016 distributed $4.8 billion in opioid-related grants across the nation in April 2018.

States have claimed that they have intensified their prescription drug monitoring programs, but a study published earlier this month revealed a disheartening stagnation over the last 10 years.

Its findings suggest that doctors are prescribing just as many addictive drugs to patients today as they were in 2008, long before widespread addiction was declared an emergency.

In the last year, several states as well as high-profile individuals have filed lawsuits against Purdue Pharma, which makes the blockbuster painkiller OxyContin.

Fentanyl has proven the most deadly drug, but public health experts maintain that most opioid addictions begin with prescription painkillers.

Crisis worsens as US opioid overdoses go up 30 percent

Officials Confident Arrests Made are Directly Linked to Drugs Sold and Distributed in New Haven

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connectic...n-overdose-investigation-continues/1375238095

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) - After 76 drug overdoses in New Haven Wednesday, another 19 people have overdosed in the city Thursday.

New Haven Police Chief Anthony Campbell told News 8 Thursday afternoon that an additional 19 people have overdosed in the city on Thursday. That brings the total to 95 overdoses in the past two days.

Late Thursday afternoon, Chief Campbell said he was confident that two major arrests were linked directly to drugs sold and distributed on the Green.

A third person was also arrested on drug charges, but it is not yet known if that person is connected to the overdoses.

First responders have stepped up patrols across New Haven Thursday, following 76 drug overdoses in the city on Wednesday.

A handful of people are still at Yale-New Haven Hospital after overdosing yesterday, and a few more overdoses have been reported on Thursday.

Original Story: Arrest made after at least 76 people overdose in New Haven

On the New Haven Green, where many people overdosed Wednesday, many people spoke with News 8 reacting to what happened.

"I would like to see people get help, get help. It's poison. To me it's a disease," one man said.

"We saw firefighters, paramedics, police running in different directions attending to these people," a witness said. "There are no people who stayed on this ground for more than 2 minutes on this green yesterday."

There are reports that the synthetic marijuana known as "K2" was laced with Fentanyl, which is often used to treat pain. It can be deadly in high doses.

K2 will sometimes come in packages such as these. (Photo: USDOJ)

This image shows K2 when out of its package. (Photo: USDOJ)

News 8 spoke with New Haven Director of Emergency Management Rick Fontana Thursday morning, who said that a K2 sample tested by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) tested negative for the presence of Fentanyl. Fontana did note that one of the patients sent to the hospital did test positive for Fentanyl in his toxicology screen, which could have been a separate incident.

"I think the primary concern for us is to make sure that people are treated effectively and effeciently and that we provide any service we can and will continue to do that. "

"You have people out here who don't have moral support from their parents, grandparents. You don't know what is going in in someone's mind. You don't know what people were dealing with," a witness said.

Senate Republican President Len Fasano released a statement on the overdoses, saying, in part, "It also speaks to a city that has allowed one of its primary community centers, the New Haven Green, to deteriorate to the point where it is no longer an attraction for families or economic development, but a place of despair."

Of the 76 people that overdosed Wednesday, 72 were sent to Yale-New Haven Hospital, while four refused medical treatment.

The New Haven Board of Alders has scheduled a citywide public hearing in response to "the opioid epidemic and the need for better substance-abuse treatment." That hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 12 at 7:00 p.m. in the Alder Chamber of City Hall located at 165 Church Street.

Artist Drops Giant Heroin Spoon in Front of Coventry Drug Company
Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 12.42.25 AM.png

Artist Domenic Esposito stands with his sculpture of a giant heroin spoon outside the entrance to Rhodes Pharmaceuticals in Coventry, Thursday, Feb. 7, 2019. (WJAR)

https://cbs6albany.com/news/nation-...eroin-spoon-in-front-of-coventry-drug-company

COVENTRY, R.I. (WJAR) — An artist took his protest against the opioid crisis and the pharmaceutical industry to Coventry on Thursday morning -- in the shape of a giant spoon.

Domenic Esposito dropped a 10-foot, 800-pound sculpture of a heroin spoon on the sidewalk in front of Rhodes Pharmaceuticals.

"My talent is art and metal working. That's what I love to do. I'm using that talent to try and bring awareness and accountability to the opioid crisis," said Esposito, who's based in Boston.

Esposito said he feels big pharma as a whole has played a major role in the ongoing opioid epidemic.

Rhodes Pharmaceuticals' website lists the drugs it manufactures, including opioid pain killer oxycodone hydrochloride.

Some in the pharmaceutical industry are accused of over-prescribing drugs and profiting from them. The spoon sculpture resembles what heroin addicts often use before injecting.

"My brother has been battling this addiction for the last 12 years," Esposito said.

That's the inspiration behind Esposito's initiative known as The Opioid Spoon Project.

"This is a huge problem in this country, and we're not going to fix it by just dropping a spoon," Esposito said. "We're just raising awareness out there."

This is not the first time Esposito has done this in protest of pharmaceutical companies. Esposito's first spoon drop was with a different but similar sculpture in front of Purdue Pharma in Connecticut in June.

Coventry police said because the spoon was on a sidewalk considered public space, there weren't any issues and the sculpture was taken away after about 90 minutes.

"It's just ridiculous, the extent of which these drugs are being prescribed in this country," Esposito said.

Rhodes Pharmaceuticals did not immediately respond to NBC 10's request for comment.

Findings From $60,000 Opioid Study Released
Findings_from_opioid_study_released_10_71628055_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

https://www.wbtw.com/news/grand-strand/findings-from-60-000-opioid-study-released/1763596566

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW)- The findings from a $60,000 study assessing the opioid epidemic in Horry and Georgetown Counties was released to Myrtle Beach City Council.

Horry Georgetown Technical College professor Renee Causey conducted the four month study, and in that time 42 people overdosed. She said Horry County is leading the state in the number of overdoses and the number of opioid prescriptions written.

Causey worked with law enforcement, recovery experts, recovering addicts, and other state and local leaders. The report states the number one issue in our area is the disproportion of funds. South Carolina gets $27 million in federal funding and gave Horry County $600,000 to combat the issue. That money only went to one agency and Georgetown County didn't receive any direct funds.

Some recommendations include establishing an inpatient treatment facility, hiring an outside coordinator to work with the more than 100 programs in Myrtle Beach to help addicts. One former addict who is now a graduate of Horry Georgetown Tech shared his story in hopes of fighting the stigma.

"I ended up in jail more times than I could count. I've been to prison .Through all of this, now I know what I was meant to do. I was meant to give back to people just like me that is my calling and that why I'm here," said Dustin Walters, a former addict.

"Forgive them for some of the problems that they have so they can get back to work so they can become successful and productive members of society," said Renee Causey, Horry Georgetown Technical College professor.

Mayor Bethune said she wants to help Causey seek more state funding.

To read the full study, click here.

I have no tears for white folks addictions

Have you been to SF and downtown LA lately? Take a walk down Market; this isn't just white folk. It may have started off that way a couple years ago, and they're still the majority of what I see, but it's spreading rapidly. I'd say 60-70% of the addicts I see are white while the other 30-40% are black and Latino

Last edited:
Drug Company Used Rap Video To Push For Higher Fentanyl Doses and Sales

GettyImages-161153681-1024x681.jpg

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...o-to-push-for-higher-fentanyl-doses-and-sales

BOSTON — Employees at a drug company, accused of bribing doctors, rapped and danced around a life-size bottle of the highly addictive fentanyl spray in a video meant to motivate sales reps into getting patients on higher doses.

The video was shown to jurors this week in the closely watched trial in Boston of wealthy Insys Therapeutics Inc. Founder John Kapoor and four other onetime executives, including a former exotic dancer who prosecutors say was hired as a regional sales manager even though she had no pharmaceutical experience.

They’re charged with scheming to pay doctors bribes and kickbacks in exchange for prescriptions of the drug meant for cancer patients with severe pain. Kapoor and the former other executives of the Chandler, Arizona-based company have denied all wrongdoing.

The video is the latest eyebrow-raising piece of evidence in the trial, which has put a spotlight on the federal government’s efforts to go after those it says are responsible for fueling the deadly drug crisis. The trial, which began last month, is expected to last several more weeks.

Last month, a former employee told jurors that she watched her boss — regional sales manager Sunrise Lee — give a lap dance at a Chicago nightclub to a doctor Insys was pushing to write more prescriptions. Lee’s lawyer said the doctor was taking advantage of her.

Beth Wilkinson, an attorney for Kapoor, told jurors that any criminal activity by Insys was orchestrated by Burlakoff. She has sought to portray Burlakoff and the government’s other key witness, former CEO Michael Babich, as liars who are willing to say anything to take down Kapoor in the hopes of getting a lesser sentence.

Insys also recruited employees who were “easy on the eyes,” Babich told jurors.

Babich, who pleaded guilty in January, took the stand this week and said Kapoor pushed to get patients on higher doses so they would continue taking the drug, which meant more money for the company.

Babich told jurors that Insys looked for sales reps who were “poor, hungry and driven” or what they called “PHDs.” Insys also recruited employees who were “easy on the eyes,” Babich told jurors.

“No physician wanted to a quote unquote unattractive person to walk in their door,” he said.

full video
https://nypost.com/2019/02/14/rapping-fentanyl-spray-mascot-star-of-drug-company-trial/

Despite Criticism and Concerns, FDA Approves a New Opioid 10 Times More Powerful Than Fentanyl
GettyImages-866274648-645x645.jpg

FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb.DREW ANGERER/GETTY IMAGES

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2018/11/02/fda-dsuvia-fentanyl-approval/

In a highly controversial move, the Food and Drug Administration approved an especially powerful opioid painkiller despite criticism that the medicine could be a “danger” to public health. And in doing so, the agency addressed wider regulatory thinking for endorsing such a medicine amid nationwide angst about overdoses and deaths attributed to opioids.

The drug is called Dsuvia, which is a tablet version of an opioid marketed for intravenous delivery, but is administered under the tongue using a specially developed, single-dose applicator. These “unique features” make the medicine well-suited for the military and therefore was a priority for the Pentagon, a point that factored heavily into the decision, according to FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

The Other Opioid Crisis
While all the attention is on western drug misuse, 80 per cent of the world’s population goes without sufficient pain relief treatment.

opioid-crisis.jpg

https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/5393/the-other-opioid-crisis

Dr M. R. Rajagopal has been called the “father of palliative care in India”. He has spent more than two decades doing clinical work and advocacy to improve care for the dying and those suffering from life-threatening illnesses. The use of opioids for pain relief is crucial to this work. Yet he has had to fight to prescribe them, including amending the country’s legislation. “Only a tiny, tiny minority of people in India have access to pain relief,” he says. “We have people travelling as far as 300km to get their refill of morphine prescriptions. There are many states where it is totally unavailable.” According to Human Rights Watch, 96 per cent of needy patients in India can’t access opioids. Now Rajagopal is worried that the dependency crisis in the US will harm the slow progress being made in India.

The opium poppy, papaver somniferum, is so effective at numbing physical and mental suffering that it is often called “God’s own medicine”. Yet it also has a terrifying side, which the opioid epidemic in the US has recently brought into the spotlight. Americans consume 80 per cent of the global opioid supply. This stat is normally used to convey the extent of reckless prescription, addiction and abuse in the country. Yet there is another side to the story. Total opioid consumption in India (plus many other low-income countries) accounts for less than 1 per cent of the global today. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has estimated that “roughly 80 per cent of the world population has either no, or insufficient, access to treatment for moderate to severe pain”.

“As a young doctor I saw excruciating pain being ignored,” Rajagopal says. “I came across people who asked to be killed, I came across people who attempted suicide. I had a patient who tried to hang himself, and his children of 14 and 10 had to rush in and save his life, only for him to die a few weeks later from failure of the kidney, because of the huge amount of NSAIDs [Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs] like ibuprofen that he was consuming.” These experiences led the physician to found an NGO, Pallium India, in his home state of Kerala. Since its foundation in 2003, the team has helped catalyse the opening of palliative care units across the country. There are now roughly 250 institutions dispensing oral morphine in India. But there is only so much his team can do. India has the second largest population in the world. It is estimated that several million people every year endure severe untreated pain from cancer, HIV and other long-term conditions.

A major report in the Lancet, published in October 2017, calls this global gap in pain relief “emblematic of the most extreme inequality in the world”. It points out that morphine in particular, as a generic derivative of the opium poppy, is inexpensive and highly effective, calling denial of adequate access a “medical, public health and moral failing”. Co-authored by Rajagopal and other global health and palliative care experts, the report is a rallying cry addressed to the global health community, which the authors say has the “responsibility and the opportunity” to address a situation that has been “largely ignored”.

Imagine you are in hospital in terrible pain, and all you are given is a paracetamol. You’re in so much agony that you beg for death. You might reasonably assume that the medicine you need does not exist, or that it is too costly to procure. Yet unlike other global health interventions, affordability is not the greatest barrier when it comes to the crisis of untreated pain. The Lancet report identifies the root problem within the contemporary medical culture, which tends to emphasise cure over care. There’s too much focus on extending lives, at the expense of the dignity and comfort of patients. The other major barrier is perhaps more disturbing. The report describes the impact of “opiophobia” and the “focus on preventing non-medical use of internationally controlled substances without balancing the human right to access medicines to relieve pain”.

“Opiophobia” has a long history. Fears and misconceptions have clouded around the opioid family of drugs, building up over generations of use and abuse. Katherine Pettus is an advocacy officer at the International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care. Part of her job is to address this confusion, working with global institutions like the WHO and the United Nations to change the global health narrative. “There’s a historical context of trauma around opioids that has created a vacuum of education around their rational medical use,” she says. “We’re now building the narrative that’s needed for rational access to opioids and palliative care, in the last 10 years. This is really recent. We’ve got a whole century of opioid phobia and ‘narcotic drugs are bad’ and we’re trying to counter-institutionalise that.”

Pettus fears that media hype around the US opioid epidemic will slow progress. “Quite a few of our partners in the Global South have stated that it’s had a chilling effect on advocacy,” she says. “Policy makers just hear ‘increase access to opioids’ and throw up their hands in horror.”

It’s not that risks don’t exist. All opioids can lead to dependency, whether they are medically prescribed like morphine and oxycodone, or illegal street drugs like heroin. The oversupply of prescription opioids was one of the tangle of factors that led to the US epidemic. Now more than 800 people a week are dying from opioid-related overdoses. Yet every country has its own context, as well as its own social demons. Other countries with high opioid consumption, like Britain, aren’t suffering from the same fallout. Germany is the third highest consumer and its rates of abuse and diversion into the black market are next to zero. Regulatory frameworks in Europe have better served their citizens by curbing the power of big pharma.

The challenge across much of the Global South is that opioid regulation is not designed to best serve the population. India is a case in point. Its history of opioid trauma dates back to English imperialism and the Opium Wars of the 19th-century. Rajagopal cracks a wry smile as he explains why the responsible department is still revenue, not health. “That is clearly absurd today. But it’s also true that opium was a major source of revenue in India. If you look at the Opium War with China, that history does have a role. People who are familiar with that kind of procedure naturally created law only aimed at preventing diversion,” he says. “But we’ve had 70 years to take different strategies.”

Pallium India is doing just that. Rajagopal has contributed to the development of India’s National Program in Palliative Care, created in 2012. He was the driving force behind an amendment to the 1985 Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act of India. The Act had been notoriously harsh. Passed to comply with three United Nations treaties, it was strongly focused on prohibition, with little provision for treating patients. The 2014 amendment put more emphasis on promoting medical and scientific use of opioids. But India’s 29 state governments have on the whole proved resistant to change.

Legislation is one thing; field implementation is another. Doctors in India are not taught palliative care at medical school. “Doctors carry these fears that if you give morphine, it is something like keeping the patient doped for the rest of their life,” Rajagopal says. Before he helped changed the law, four or five different licences were required to prescribe opioids. Falling foul of the system could lead to jail. Now the process has been simplified, but many practitioners are still cautious. “I’ve heard this from so many medics all around the world,” Pettus confirms. “Instead of education you have fear.”

The Lancet report calls on all countries to adopt an “essential package” of basic palliative care by the year 2030. It includes education and training, as well as the provision of key medicines. It is designed to provide “the minimum a health system, however resource-constrained, should make universally accessible”. Its authors believe the global health community has a role in facilitating this adoption. They estimate it would cost around $2.40 per capita per year in low-income countries like Afghanistan or Senegal, and $0.75 per capita per year in lower-middle income countries such as India. Ensuring morphine access is even more affordable. On a global scale, the authors estimate that it could take as little as $145 million per year to meet the shortfall in morphine-equivalent opioids.

Pettus calls the report “groundbreaking”. But other indicators suggest it could not have been published at a worse time. There are already fears that the US opioid crisis will go global. An investigation by the Los Angeles Times found evidence that the Sackler family is “moving rapidly into Latin America, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and other regions.” The family own Purdue Pharma, the company accused of fuelling the epidemic through deceptive marketing of the pain-killer OxyContin. Doubtless many pharma giants are circling. But their readiness to exploit the pain of the poor only increases the urgent need for careful national policy-making. Crucially, the use of morphine can remove the incentive for big pharma as the drug is generic and not under patent.

It is possible for the Global South to learn the lessons of the US without abandoning those in agony. The danger is that the American tragedy will further dampen political will. The dying and seriously ill are not a vocal demographic. They are often tucked away out of sight, and practitioners in the medical field are not always the best people to tell a story. However, a new “think-and-do-tank” is determined to give voice to those around the world experiencing severe pain. The Organisation for the Prevention of Intense Suffering (OPIS) was set up in 2016 by Jonathan Leighton, a former research scientist turned writer and author of The Battle for Compassion: Ethics in an Apathetic Universe. Access to morphine as a human right is a top campaign for OPIS. “Many who need morphine are terminally ill, they may have only weeks or months to live, and it’s essential that they can live as comfortably as possible,” Leighton says. “The concerns are completely disproportionate compared to the actual primary issue at hand.”

The primary issue for OPIS is the ethical imperative to reduce suffering. Linked to the effective altruism movement, they choose causes that are most likely to produce the largest impact, determined by what Leighton calls “a clear underlying philosophy which is suffering-focused”. It’s challenging to fully empathise with others in extreme pain, especially when so many causes constantly demand our attention. According to OPIS, a morally rational approach to policy would attempt to weigh each subjective experience. “I’d like to translate that understanding into social change,” Leighton says. “Ideally systemic social change.”

The groundwork already exists for recognising morphine access as an ethical duty. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights enshrines the right to healthcare and also the right to be free from torture. A 2009 Human Rights Watch report on global pain treatment said many people interviewed “expressed the exact same sentiment as torture survivors.” It called the failure to deliver adequate pain relief a contravention of international human rights law that was “perplexing and inexcusable.” In 2008, this link was made explicit in a letter co-authored by the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Health and the Special Rapporteur on Torture, Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment. “Governments also have an obligation to take measures to protect people under their jurisdiction from inhuman and degrading treatment,” they wrote. “Failure of governments to take reasonable measures to ensure accessibility of pain treatment . . . raises questions whether they have adequately discharged this obligation.”

Pettus believes that implementing change is a matter of time. “The global narrative is all there. It’s just a question of joining up the dots between that narrative and what’s happening on the ground.” She hopes the fallout from the US epidemic will eventually settle down into a “more rational phase”. Yet millions of patients around the world are desperately wondering how long they’ll have to wait.

Rajagopal has a story about waiting. A man came to one of his services in crippling pain from lung cancer. That day, they had run out of morphine stock. The man said he would return next Wednesday with a piece of rope. and hang himself from a tree outside the clinic if there was still no morphine. “We all prayed hard, and before the next Wednesday, we did get morphine,” says Rajagopal. In other regions of India, the story may have ended differently.

It will be a bitter pill to swallow if the healthcare tragedy in the US ends up worsening a global crisis. This would be an irrational outcome, with a terrible human cost. Yet when it comes to the opium poppy, reason and morality have often fallen victim. Consensus in the international health community appears to be growing on addressing the opioid access gap. Rajagopal believes it is possible to close this gap. “We know there is a problem. It’s not expensive, and therefore it has to be done.”

Teachers Are Serving As First Responders To The Opioid Crisis
“My job as a teacher is to be a first responder to poverty,” says Greg Cruey, a middle school teacher at Southside K-8 school. “If my students learn other stuff too, that’s great.”

5bda04da2400004202991ed5.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Greg Cruey, a teacher at Southside K-8 school, greeting students in the morning. This photo has been edited to protect the identities of the subjects.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ic-drugs-children_us_5bd9c9c4e4b01abe6a1a4206

WAR, W.Va. ― Middle school teacher Greg Cruey can explain the most harrowing details of his students’ lives with matter-of-fact precision.

That smart sixth-grader who had her hand raised last period? She’s homeless and has, in the past, been suicidal. That middle school student who seemed on edge during class? As a young child, his parents used him to make pornography; they needed the money for their drug addictions. That sassy eighth-grader with the long hair? Her mom just got out of jail and seems to be allowing her to smoke pot in the house.

Many of these details are ones that, after 15 years in the classroom, Cruey has learned to pick up on, through careful tracking: what students are wearing, hunger levels and emotional states. But sometimes students will offer up these deeply personal details after class with shrugs, as if it’s information as casual as what they ate for lunch. When Cruey still has questions, he will glean information through listening to the constant murmur of student gossip in hallways, tracking social media posts and keeping his ear to the ground at church.

It’s Cruey’s job to keep track of these particulars, even more than lesson planning or standardized test preparation.

“My job as a teacher is to be a first responder to poverty,” said Cruey, a 58-year-old middle school social studies teacher at Southside K-8 school. “If my students learn other stuff, too, that’s great.”

Cruey’s school, in War, West Virginia, in McDowell County, has long been held up as a living example of how poverty can limit educational attainment. So when the opioid crisis hit, it hit McDowell County particularly hard. In 2014, the county led the state in opioid-related hospitalizations. In 2016, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ranked McDowell County as second-most at-risk in the country for an HIV outbreak due to intravenous drug use.

It’s why, over the course of Cruey’s years in the classroom, he has become used to stories of families torn apart over drugs, as parents and guardians shuffle between hospitals and jails. He cites estimates that nearly half of students live with someone other than their parents. Others are being raised by grandparents, relatives, friends and foster parents.

In War, atypical family structures are the norm.

Nelson Spencer, who retired last month as superintendent of McDowell schools, said that in some of the county’s schools, as many as 40 percent of students don’t live with their parents. And though many of these arrangements are informal, with students casually bouncing between the homes of family members and friends, West Virginia has seen a spike in foster care entrances compared with the U.S. average. In 2016, there were 1,221 foster care entrances per 100,000 youth, compared with the U.S. average of 369.

5bdcaa301d00008800309892.png

Data analysis by The Hechinger Report
It’s a pattern that teachers and school administrators are seeing emerge in many communities, as some states have seen drastic spikes in the number of foster care entrances in recent years. Around the country, the number of kids in foster care increased by about 10 percent from 2012 to 2016. At the same time, the number of children being removed from their homes because of parental drug use has also increased, according to data from the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System.

And in many places, teachers like Cruey are on the front line of this crisis, working to counteract the effects this trauma has on students’ lives.

For this story, HuffPost/Hechinger Report spent several days shadowing Cruey at his school at the end of the last school year. The time spent showed that teachers, just as much as medical professionals and addiction counselors, serve as first responders to the opioid crisis. Cruey’s story is unique ― in a particular area where rates of addiction and poverty are high ― but it’s also representative of what teachers are experiencing in many communities.

Only 58 percent of children involved in the foster care system finish high school by 19, compared with 87 percent of the general population. Helping deeply traumatized students to succeed in school can be a tough battle.

5bda0544260000050383e3fe.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
The decline of coal production started a downward spiral in War, West Virginia.

A Cycle Of Crisis
War was once a center for coal production ― a town where “everybody worked” ― but it spiraled downward as the industry declined.. By 1990, the population in McDowell had fallen to about 35,000 people after a high of nearly 100,000 in 1950.

For schools in the area, this means frequent visits from the Department of Child Protective Services and an abnormally small number of students who live with mom and dad, Cruey said. It also means having students at the center of a crisis that they did nothing to help create. It means high rates of students in special education ― about 40 percent of middle school students have individualized education plans ― a phenomenon Cruey attributes, in part, to the high rates of pregnant mothers on drugs.

On the outside, Southside K-8 school is almost idyllic. Plush mountains surround the recently renovated building, there’s a new jungle gym where young kids swing around and an impressive green football field sits nearby.

But upon closer inspection, the subtle contours of the opioid crisis are undeniably present.

The football field, once a source of community pride, previously served as a place where student-athletes and local coaches could ascend to the status of community legends. It’s where Homer Hickam, famed NASA engineer portrayed in the movie “October Sky,” tried his hand at sports before moving on to rocket science. It was previously attached to Big Creek High School.

But in 2010, the school was closed down over a decline in student enrollment. In 2015, the abandoned school was burned down in an act of arson.

Southside K-8 students now use the field for their football team, but most of the time they can barely get enough students to fill the roster.

5bda07862200000c03dda3ca.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Teacher Greg Cruey keeps track mentally of where all his students are living and in what circumstances.

Cruey, a gregarious man with warm eyes and a friendly smile, attributes the team’s lack of stability to his students’ transience and an overall drain in population. Families are constantly shuffling in and out of the area in hopes of finding a coveted job in the coal mines. And as students with drug-using parents bounce between staying with grandparents, great-grandparents, foster parents and neighbors, Cruey never knows when a student will suddenly stop showing up or will come back after months away.

As a teacher, that means Cruey has to learn to roll with the punches, even though those punches so rarely involve the stuff he was trained to do, like devise lessons, assign homework and monitor learning progress. Cruey maintains a constant mental tracker of which students are living where, which students recently left, and which students are on their way out. He has directly called Child Protective Services at times.

On his way to school in the morning ― he lives about a 30-minute drive away in Virginia ― he watches for parents hitchhiking on the side of the road. He keeps track of which boys are dating which girls ― lamenting that he often sees kids sexually active at young ages, without an understanding of the consequences. Several years ago the school had a pregnant fifth-grader ― she ended up getting an abortion.

It’s inevitable that sometimes these traumas make their way into the classroom.

5bda080d1f0000ce03259dd6.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Lessons in the classroom sometimes have to be customized for kids who face myriad crises in young their lives.

During a second period class on a Thursday morning last May, Cruey taught a lesson on Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the politics of the New Deal. The class was mostly engaged, aside from a boy laying his head on a desk, attempting to sleep. Cruey let him. It’s not something an educator would typically allow ― especially one like Cruey, who closely monitors and stomps out classroom misbehavior. But this time Cruey let it slide. He knew enough to know the boy needed the rest.

“He was taken by Child Protective Services two weeks ago, and we didn’t think we’d ever see him again, and he came back,” said Cruey of the boy after class. “He’s one of those situations where ― CPS will show up here because this is the one spot where they don’t have to confront the parents to get the kid. They know our address.”

After school and on weekends, too, the work continues. Cruey’s wife, Cheryl, who was principal of Southside K-8 until retiring at the end of the 2017-2018 school year, mentors three siblings in the district. Cruey’s involved, too. He and Cheryl started helping out after the family of seven spent a winter together in a home where the only adequate heat was a fireplace.

About twice a month, Cruey and his wife take the kids shopping, to church and out for pizza. They bring them bags of food and check on them throughout the school day.

5bda0a38200000600501fae4.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Greg Cruey and his wife, Cheryl, a former principal, often work together to help kids in need.

But sometimes mentoring is not enough. Sometimes the pain of a child is so great that Cruey feels compelled to do more. Several years ago, Cruey ― who has grown children from a previous marriage ― was in discussions to adopt one of the school’s students, who was in fifth grade at the time.

The student was one of six children, born to a single mother with an addiction to drugs. The eldest sibling, who is now in her 20s and whom Cruey’s wife had had as a student, was in prison at the time. The second eldest was on drugs. The three youngest ended up getting adopted by a local family, leaving a middle boy to mostly fend for himself.

Discussions about an adoption were moving smoothly along until the boy’s legal stepfather was killed, and the boy was granted survivor’s benefits, Cruey said. Suddenly mom wanted to be involved again, and the adoption process was halted.

Six months later, Child Protective Services took the child away and sent him to live with relatives in a different part of the state.

“Occasionally we see him on Facebook. He’s maybe in the ninth grade now. As far as I can tell, he’s doing OK from this distance. His life has changed radically just from not being here,” Cruey said.

Pride And Pain
Amid these issues, there are stories of hope, joy and pride. The district has worked hard to improve its academic outcomes, and there certainly have been improvements. Overall, there’s been an increase in graduation rates and a decrease in dropouts. Spencer, the former superintendent, also points to a decline in teen pregnancies.

“I see a growth in our students. They are proud of where they come from. They’re proud of their heritage. They look people in the eye when they speak,” Spencer said. “If given the right opportunity, our kids can compete with anyone.”

But Cruey isn’t sure that many of his students have the luxury of dreaming about the long term.

“For many of them, the horizon is much closer than ‘When I grow up.’ They think in terms of the instability of their life circumstances and who they’ll live with next year, whether they can get a better deal for themselves by living with grandma,” Cruey said.

Still, he has high hopes for his kids. He hopes they graduate high school. He hopes they develop a skill. He hopes they experience a life that includes love and support. And he hopes they stay in the area and help revitalize it, stemming the tide of transience and instability.

He hopes the same for their parents and those in his community. He has seen the opioid crisis terrorize generations, turning grandparents into caretakers at ages too old, and siblings into caretakers at ages too young.

The cycle plays out on a Friday afternoon in May.

It’s the last period of the day before the weekend, and students are squirming in their seats with anticipation. Over the loudspeaker, a voice calls for “Friday kids” to come to the cafeteria. A group of students suddenly rushes the hallways.

5bda0bde1f00007103259dd8.jpeg

DAMON DAHLEN/HUFFPOST
Greg Cruey says his students are realistic about their lives. “For many of them, the horizon is much closer than ‘When I grow up.’”

The “Friday kids” club is not one kids want to join. “Friday kids,” as the school calls them, are those who are given a bag of food to take home for the weekend because otherwise they’d go hungry. It’s up to the students how much they want to share with their siblings.

A few minutes later, an older janitor comes to collect Cruey’s classroom trash. He wishes her a happy Friday.

“I wish it was,” she tells him.

A judge has just ruled that her grandchild can go back to living with her dad, who recently got out of jail for drugs, she explains between tears. Cruey offers to help her write a letter to appeal the decision.

Cruey doesn’t know what the students at Southside did in a previous life to be born poor in McDowell County. But he doesn’t see a realistic way to stop the cycle of pain, no matter how well he teaches or how many services the school provides.

“We really don’t make a dent in the most basic problems we have. We achieve some level of educational success. But there are limitations. Because the need is too broad.”

Elementary School Teacher Snorted Morphine in Front of Students, Prosecutors Say

IBNM2GSPVFE2RDPRI5EDHEL6WM.jpg

Eagleswood Township Elementary School in Ocean County, where a teacher has been charged with snorting morphine off his desk. (Photo via Facebook)

https://www.nj.com/ocean/2018/12/el...ine-in-front-of-students-prosecutors-say.html

Ocean County’s opioid epidemic literally has landed on the desk of an Eagleswood elementary school teacher who faces charges that he snorted morphine in class in front of students and another faculty member, prosecutors say.

According to a Dec. 3 complaint by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, Michael Palladino, a 43-year-old teacher at Eagleswood Township Elementary School, is charged with possession of a controlled dangerous substance, a third-degree crime, and official misconduct, a more serious second-degree offense alleging Palladino used his public position for his personal benefit.

“Specifically, by ingesting a controlled dangerous substance through his nostril, at his desk in a classroom during school hours in the presence of another teacher and students,” the complaint stated, referring to the misconduct charge.

The incident occurred last Monday, and Palladino was charged that same day based on an investigation by the New Jersey State Police, said Bryan Huntenberg, a spokesman for Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer,

The complaint said three morphine tablets were found in a plastic bag in Palladino’s desk, along with a Bic pen he used like a straw. Palladino apparently ground the tablets into a powder, which the complaint states others saw him snort using the pen.

Eagleswood Township Elementary School is a pre-Kindergarten through the sixth grade school serving just under 300 students. It is the only school in the Eagleswood Township School District, which sends middle and high school students to Pinelands Regional junior and senior high schools.

Neither Eagleswood’s superintendent of schools, Deborah Snyder, nor its business administrator, Allison Bogart, responded to repeated requests for information regarding Palladino’s status. Palladino could not be reached.

The complaint did not specify what grade level Palladino teaches, nor whether he had been suspended from his teaching job with or without pay. Huntenberg said his office had no information on Palladino’s employment status.

Morphine is an opioid typically used as a pain killer but sometimes abused for its euphoric effects. Ocean County and neighboring Monmouth on the Jersey Shore, has been called the epicenter of the opioid epidemic in New Jersey.

The Gentrification of Addiction: Now That Whites are Addicted, the Language of Shame Has Changed

https://www.philly.com/philly/colum...drugs-safe-injection-sites-race-20180404.html

Last April, The Baltimore Sun ran an op-ed essay by a woman in mourning. Her sister, a “middle-class suburban mom,” had become addicted to alcohol and opioids and died. Two years earlier, The Wall Street Journal published the names and photographs of some of the 300,000 Americans who had died of opioid overdoses since the 1990s. Smiling faces stared back at the reader with eyes full of promise. The families of the dead described how their once-vibrant loved ones had fallen into opioid use, how an injury or divorce led to medication, which then spiraled into addiction. In 2016, the NPR podcast “Embeddedtold the heartbreaking story of a nurse with three children who hurt her back at work and was soon hooked on opioids.

It’s notable how this kind of coverage emphasizes the humanity of opioid users. Phrases like “introduced to,” “caused by” and “fell into” are increasingly used to describe pathways to addiction, and we often hear the perspectives of loved ones who vouch for the lives of victims were before they became addicted. Something else stands out, too: It seems the majority of the victims whose stories have been told in recent years are white. This has led to journalists and others pointing out the stark contrast between the kind of compassionate treatment opioid users receive now and the contempt that dominated reports about the largely black victims of the crack epidemic of the 1980s and 1990s.

“The Gentrification of Addiction” read one headline in The Philadelphia Inquirer, “Why Is the Opioid Epidemic Overwhelmingly White?” asked NPR. Teen Vogue pointed out that “The Opioid Crisis Only Became a Crisis When It Affected White People.”

But the opioid epidemic is not entirely white — and it’s a mistake to characterize it that way, given how opioids are harming nonwhite communities.

According to statistics collected by the Kaiser Family Foundation, black people made up 12 percent of all opioid-related fatal overdose victims in 2017, with 5,513 deaths, more than double the number in 2015. (Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 78 percent of all victims — 37,113 deaths in total, a 37 percent increase from 2015 — and Hispanics 8 percent.)

Twelve percent may not seem like a lot, but it is roughly proportional to the number of African-Americans in the United States population as a whole. In some areas, most victims of fatal overdoses are black, as in the District of Columbia, where black people make up more than 80percent of opioid-related deaths. In Massachusetts, meanwhile, opioid death rates are going down for all other groups, but continue to rise for black people.

Dr. Tom Gilson, a medical examiner in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, told the Boston NPR affiliate WBUR that there was a “Fourteen-fold increase in fentanyl deaths among African-Americans” in three years; most of those deaths involved fentanyl mixed with cocaine. A recent studyfound that between 2012 and 2015, black men died from cocaine overdose at rates as high as white men who died from opioids during that period. If fentanyl-laced cocaine becomes more common, overdoses among black Americans could get much worse.

Native Americans have also been hit hard by the opioid crisis. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1999 and 2015 Native Americans had the largest increase in overdose deaths compared to other groups. The C.D.C. also reported that in 2016, rates of prescription-opioid-related overdose were higher among both non-Hispanic whites and Native Americans than other groups. In response to this, several Native American tribes have filed lawsuitsagainst the manufacturers and distributors of prescription opioids.

Where the opioid crisis has affected nonwhite communities, the response has often been slow and inadequate. In Puerto Rico, before Hurricane Maria, there were 600 fentanyl-related overdoses and 60 deathsin 2017. There are no official statistics for the time after that, but those who work with drug users say they have seen an increase in overdoses since the hurricane. Puerto Rico has not applied for federal funding to tackle the opioid crisis, nor has it passed a law to allow the administration of the lifesaving overdose drug naloxone by nonmedical personnel.

Similarly, the District of Columbia has faced criticism for its slow response to overdose deaths, distributing naloxone at a lower rate than other cities and failing to establish addiction treatment programs.

In cities like New York, access to addiction treatment can be segregated by income and race: low-income Latino and black users often have to travel far from home to get methadone from clinics, while more affluent white patients can afford to get prescriptions of newer drugs used to treat addiction, like buprenorphine, from private doctors. A 2016 study found that rates of buprenorphine use increased the most in areas with higher incomes and low percentages of black and Latino people.

Labeling the opioid crisis as “white” risks overlooking the very real damage experienced by black, Latino and Native American communities. This is not a call to ignore the wrongs of the past. We should continue to scrutinize how attitudes toward drug users seem to change depending on the racial identity of the people whose stories the media tells.

But this crisis is a reminder that anyone can become addicted to drugs. Our empathy should not be conditional.

That's because general is dead for the most part when it comes to news related posts.

Stopped at a McDonald's to take a piss. Heard some dude cooking dope in the bathroom stall :smh:

Drug Companies to Pay for Opioid Crisis Response

1H6hOIWV_rjl3vffDuySB06tEffNGuOHA.jpg

https://www.dl-online.com/news/government-and-politics/4631900-new-state-laws-start-monday

Drug distributors and manufacturers will be required to help pay for the aftermath of the opioid epidemic in Minnesota after lawmakers passed and Walz signed into law a sweeping package of legislation.

Under the new law, opioid distributors will be required to pay fees expected to total more than $20 million. Those funds will be used to provide education and prevention programs as well as treatment programs. The law would also limit, in some cases, the number of opioid painkillers that could be prescribed for acute pain to a seven-day supply for adults and a five-day supply for minors.

The state has sued the drugmakers and if it receives a settlement, that could offset the fees, but not until $250 million has been generated and not before 2024. The plan would also boost funding to social service agencies that have borne the cost of out-of-home placement of children whose parents became addicted to opioids and would establish an advisory council to provide further guidance on the issue.

Back
Top Bottom