Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Trailer looks action packed for Trance, looks like it might be up my alley.

There are a few exceptions to the American remakes but they never add up to the original for me.. it's just if something is done so well the first time, you should let it have it's own place rather than trying to recreate it. I don't see a point.. if someone's seeking a certain type of film they will find it eventually, not everything has to be redone - which seems to be the case every year now.

I have not seen Silent House, I'm not a big horror movie type guy.. (you can tell by my post on CITW, just not my cup of tea) - but just by reading a few reviews I think it got trashed pretty bad. Olsen was great in Martha Marcy May Marlene.. it was slow paced and sort of drifted at parts, but Olsen was the main focus and really owned her scenes.

Oh **** I did :lol: That's how good JGL and Rogen did, I forgot all about her. She deserves like 14 :pimp: 's. Liked how her character was given depth, instead of just throwing her in there as 'the new girl' for JGL.
I usually agree with the whole 'not touching the original' sentiment, but in this case, based on the cast, director and source, I'm hopeful. Just be sure to not hold it to the same standard as the original, Hymen man, as hard as that'll be. I'm sure there's one thing that wont be in the American version, though :lol:
You need to watch Martha Marcy May Marlene. I've heard nothing but bad things about Silent House, so you could probably skip that.

I don't know, I just feel like Spike is an odd choice as Director.

I usually agree with the whole 'not touching the original' sentiment, but in this case, based on the cast, director and source, I'm hopeful. Just be sure to not hold it to the same standard as the original, Hymen man, as hard as that'll be. I'm sure there's one thing that wont be in the American version, though :lol:

I agree on paper it looks like it's gonna be pretty damn good. I'll try my hardest not to compare it but like you said in your last sentence, there's things that they won't add and that kind of dampers it for me. Sure they might fill it with something else.. but it won't be as edgy and daring as the original was. Who knows though? I could be completely wrong and Spike's gonna knock it out of the park. I'm hoping for the latter... I need to have Hollywood make me eat my words on remakes so I can shrug off the disdain whenever I hear there's a remake in the works.

He is an odd choice, and it's definitely a different kind of film than he's ever done before. But I feel like Spike's not going to let us down; he knows how much of a cult following the original has, I dont think he'd have taken the job if he didn't fully plan to give it his best shot. And he's a great director regardless. I just wonder if he'll put his own touch on the film or try to keep it as close to the original as possible...

He is an odd choice, and it's definitely a different kind of film than he's ever done before. But I feel like Spike's not going to let us down; he knows how much of a cult following the original has, I dont think he'd have taken the job if he didn't fully plan to give it his best shot. And he's a great director regardless. I just wonder if he'll put his own touch on the film or try to keep it as close to the original as possible...

That's the biggest issue I have with the film.

I just hope there aren't any racial undertones with the film. It's one thing I really like about foreign cinema. That is NEVER an issue.

It's just really boring and pointless to me to have someone like Spike Lee being obnoxious towards someone like QT for his remarks about Django. I'm glad Fuqua stood up for QT.

I'm not saying that racial undertones in a film is a bad thing, but it's not something that needs to be in Oldboy. It was okay in Django, because it was a movie about a slave getting revenge, and becoming a bounty hunter.

Oldboy works so well in the original because that's all it is. It's a revenge film. A bunch of twists and mind tricks, but it's still a revenge film.

Also got no damn idea how he's going to recreate that fight scene...

You can't do a carbon-copy, because they'll say he's just copying the original. But it's a huge expectation to live up to. If it's a shaky-cam, close-up action scene I'm going to hate it. :smh:

That's one thing I hate about action films of today. The last 10 years or so, so many directors zoom in on the action so dang much, use quick cuts, and shake the camera for dramatic effect. It hardly ever works. It's nothing but disorientating, and is an excuse for an inept cinematographer to try and make a good fight scene.

if i had to guess method man's occupation i'd guess something in journalism , the man just has a way with words . 

like watching floyd mayweather fight but with words, an acrobat with the vocabulary . so subtle , so brilliant.

holds his punches , and sneaks you with a over hand right. just a thing of pure beauty when he hits enter.

you gasp at the brilliance that are his responses , the only constant thing on this forum is the stock 

of method man's artistry with the keyboard.

gonna throw some reps japans way for countering , decent exhibition.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the whole "just moving next door" part of Meth's explanation. I understand the reason for the move but still :smh:

And the nominees are...

The 85th Academy Awards are fast approaching and this morning, bright and early, Emma Stone and host Seth MacFarlane announced the contenders for sir Oscar.

Lincoln leads the way with 12 nominations, followed by Life of Pi with 11 nominations.

Surprises are led by no nominations for Kathyrn Bigelow and Ben Affleck for Best Director as well as no nomination for The Intouchables in the Best Foreign Film.

The Best Picture category gets nine films most of which were predicted but I was surprised to see Django Unchained get nominated. There was a lot of love for Beasts of the Southern Wild as it got four nominations including Best Director.

Other snubs include John Hawkes for his work in The Sessions not getting a Best Actor nomination, while Marion Cotillard and Rachel Weisz didn’t get nominated in the Best Actress category for Rust and Bone and The Deep Blue Sea respectively.

Without further ado…here are the nominees.

85th Academy Awards Nominations

Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director

Michael Haneke - Amour
Behn Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ang Lee - Life of Pi
Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
David O. Russell - Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actor In A Leading Role

Denzel Washington - Flight
Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actress In A Leading Role

Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis - Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings PLaybook
Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor In A Supporting Role

Alan Arkin - Argo
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actress In A Supporting Role

Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Sally Field - Lincoln
Amy Adams - The Master
Helen Hunt - The Sessions
Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Screenplay

Michael Haneke - Amour
Quentin Tarantino - Django Unchained
John Gatins - Flight
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola - Moonrise Kingdom
Mark Boal - Zero Dark Thirty

Best Adapted Screenplay

Chris Terrio - Argo
Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin - Beasts of the Southern Wild
David Magee - Life Of Pi
Tony Kushner - Lincoln
David O. Russell - Silver Linings Playbook

Best Foreign Language Film

Amour
Kon-Tiki
No
A Royal Affair
War Witch

Best Animated Feature Film

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates
Wreck-It Ralph

Best Original Song

"Before My Time" - Chasing Ice
"Pi's Lullaby" - Life Of Pi
"Everybody Needs a Best Friend" - Ted
"Suddenly" - Les Miserables
"Skyfall" - Skyfall

Best Cinematography

Seamus McGarvey - Anna Karenina
Robert Richardson - Django Unchained
Claudio Miranda - Life Of Pi
Janusz Kaminski - Lincoln
Roger Deakins - Skyfall

Best Film Editing

William Goldenberg - Argo
Tim Squyres - Life Of Pi
Michael Kahn - Lincoln
Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers - Silver Linings Playbook
William Goldenberg, Dylan Tichenor - Zero Dark Thirty

Best Costume Design

Jacqueline Durran - Anna Karenina
Paco Delgado - Les Miserables
Joanna Johnston - Lincoln
Eiko Ishioka - Mirror Mirror
Colleen Atwood - Snow White and the Huntsman

Best Documentary Feature

5 Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How To Survive A Plague
The Invisible War
Searching For Sugar Man

Best Visual Effects

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Life Of Pi
Marvel's The Avengers
Prometheus
Snow White And The Huntsman

Best Production Design

Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer - Anna Karenina
Dan Hennah, Ra Vincent, Simon Bright - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Eve Stewart - Les Miserables
David Gropman, Anna Pinnock - Life Of Pi
Rick Carter, Jim Erickson, Peter T Frank - Lincoln

Best Original Score

Dario Marianelli - Anna Karenina
Alexandre Desplat - Argo
Mychael Danna - Life Of Pi
John Williams - Lincoln
Thomas Newman - Skyfall

Best Make Up

Hitchcock
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les Miserables

Best Sound Editing

Argo
Django Unchained
Life Of Pi
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Sound Mixing

Argo
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Skyfall

Best Documentary Short Film

Inocente
Kings Point
Mondays At Racine
Open Heart
Redemption

Best Animated Short

Adam And Dog
Fresh Guacamole
Head Over Heels
Maggie Simpson In The Longest Daycare
Paperman

Best Live-Action Short Film

Asad
Buzkashi Boys
Curfew
Death Of A Shadow
Henry

Last edited:
Big J love him some Jennifer L. haha

I do do though..fell inlove watching The Hunger Games.
Back to business as usual, I don't buy into her hype.

I haven't seen Winter's Bone or Silver Linings Playbook, but I thought she was rather dry as Catnip in The Hunger Games (one of the most overrated films of 2012 IMO), she wasn't all that great in First Class (if it weren't for Fassbender, that wouldn't be nearly as good as it was), and she was in that God-awful film House at the End of the Street.
You don't buy her hype yet you haven't seen her two best movies. Watch those two and then get back to us.

House at the End of the Street was made before she hit it big, they just waited to release it.

My apologies in advance to those of you who have commenced movie discussion.

JA: the reason for all the ruckus right now, and not before? Did someone snitch and hit the report button? Did a new mod stumble across the thread and question Meth? Did an active contributor to the thread report something they thought needed attention? Did Obama visit the site and appreciate the organization except for this one thread?

I don't know, and I don't care.

"Well I do care! This is VERY IMPORTANT!!!one!!!11!"

Cool. I still don't know, and the reason I'm not digging more to find out is because it's nowhere near important.

However, here are some things I do know:
- social justice, protecting children, preparing for tomorrow... those things (among others) are very important; a movie thread in a sneaker website... not so much. This is not worth the fight/inquisition.

- the thread was moved

- it went 2 years in the wrong forum, due in large part to my negligence; Meth isn't going to throw me under the bus by saying or even implying that, but I will take responsibility and say it

- the thread is about movies, as Zik, hymen, Big J, venom, MrO, and others have gotten back to; it's not about what initiated all of... 'this', even though there has been plenty of questioning/answering about... 'this'

I would appreciate if your response to this was via PM. If you do have a response, via pm or in here, my response to you will be via pm. Same for anyone else; I will be replying via PM, and would appreciate if further questions were PMed, at least for right now.

On to the Oscars...

Last edited:
I'll be outta here in a hurry...

This thread is about the only reason I ever come here anymore, and I'm not getting caught up in all the BS that will come in here with a move to General Forum to keep up with all the good stuff we've gotten outta this thread. Call it elitist or whatever you want, but this thread in General will be locked down in a matter of days.

Two years and now we wanna drop the hammer because it "causes more problems than it solves". Ridiculous.
Everything I came to say.

This move "causes more problems than it solves," not how it was before. But they did that to themselves.

Revisionist "rule enforcement." Nice.

Enjoy, boys.

I'll offer this up one final time. Still my favorite sports movie yet.

Last edited:
I will never for the life of me understand how people apply definitions of social injustices to actions taken on an internet message board. :lol:

Revisionist rule enforcement? :rofl:

Stop it.

Apply terms like that to things far more important than... this.

For me, Meth's best point was about some older heads in the Other Brands forum wanting to make an NBA thread to avoid the immature, younger know nothings in the S&T forum. Wouldn't make sense at all, no matter how logical the reasoning is (and it's very logical).

I'm really pissed that Hawkes did not get nominated for Best Actor. I mean, come on.. dude looked like a completely different person.. even more so than when Bale won his Supporting for The Fighter.

:lol: @ not understanding why people would find this a little ridiculous...

This has been going on for TWO YEARS. Untouched. Never even a sniff from a mod, other than Ska who contributed as much or more than anything...

It's not a big deal and it's not something we should be upset about, but Meth is damned determined he's gonna move it and went as far as to say he had no problem ruffling feathers and being the bad guy if it had to be done. :smh: :lol: But... It's not that important, right?

It really isn't that important, Jay. They only care enough to moderate/run the site.

I will never for the life of me understand how people apply definitions of social injustices to actions taken on an internet message board.

Apply terms like that to things far more important than... this.

Last edited:
At the very least, are you guys considering the individuals that are speaking up? Not a lot of 12 year olds with 18 posts complaining, is there? I'm more than sure that the folks that have spoken up have been around NT for a long while, and have solid reputations on here, and I'm not talking about that fake number thing below our names.

That said, I get we can't change anything now, we're defeated, so be it. So I have one question. I hope I don't regret it.

Ska, or Meth can answer, I'm just throwing the idea.

There is a Sports forum. Music forum. Emphasis on Music.

Could there be a Movie forum created? I understand that having mods run another forum would be a problem, could we then ask for a volunteer or two for the task of modding that new forum? There are a few really outstanding posters that are movie heads, I guarantee you they would do a good job as mods in that forum. At that point, I would love for this thread, and others to be moved into there.

New movies come out every single weekend. Just as new NFL games, or NBA games. Oscars. End of the year talk. Summer movies, blockbusters, sequels, franchises, there are tons of movies (and we can include shows as well) to talk about. Put the Wire, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Lost, all those threads into that forum, away from Beyonce's new GQ, or Kim got knocked up, or what color watch do you wear, and I'm about to move out of my mom's basement threads.

Is it possible?

I would think, the posters in this thread would prefer that, maybe I'm wrong, I'll let them speak for themselves on that matter.

Last edited:
I would LOVE a Movies/TV show forum.. in fact, I think it's a long time coming.. a lot of the clutter in general can be fixed by the one move.

I'd never leave that section.

Do it Mitch!

I would LOVE a Movies/TV show forum.. in fact, I think it's a long time coming.. a lot of the clutter in general can be fixed by the one move.

I'd never leave that section.

Do it Mitch!

I agree. I think its a brilliant idea. If there can be a stand-alone forum for music, it makes sense to me that there would also be one for movies/TV. Let General be for everything else.

It's appalling to find out that Leo was not nominated for Best Supporting for Django :wow: .

Back
Top Bottom