Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

What's funny is OC ain't even the worst offense on them shelves.......
laugh.gif

Take a look a couple shelves up, you'll see FIVE seasons of a show called Silk Stalkings.  I got em for 10 bucks each a couple years back.  That show was the @#$% back in the day, so I bought em, all of em. 
laugh.gif
roll.gif
OC lookin like the Sopranos compared to that @#$% 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on Mad Men? Thinking about starting on it.
haven't heard one person say anything bad about that show...

mad men is awesome if you are patient and care about social structures

def not for everybody

mad men is awesome if you are patient and care about social structures

def not for everybody

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

I'm not sure I'm mature or old enough to appreciate this show. At moments it is amazing. I understand what people see in it. But to be honest...just not enough. The space between those amazing moments always kill me. They're get boring and repetitive. I like some characters, but don't especially love any of em. Jon Hamm goes in, don't get me wrong, but I watched the first 2 1/2 seasons and I couldn't do it anymore.

If you can get through all of it, respect. I'm very sure that it'll reward you for that, but I can't. I keep hearing about this suitcase and this lawnmower episode, and that almost makes me want to catch up, but the show is just boring to me.

There's what? 6 main people. 

1. You got Jon Hamm, Don Draper. Dude kills it. Every time they ask a lot of him and every scene in between he brings it. He gets the pass. 

2. Peggy. She played the president's daughter in West Wing, didn't like her. She can act real well and they permanently +%@% on her life and give her heavy stuff to deal with, but I don't ever need to see her in anything again. 

3. Peter...but he'll never be Peter to me, he'll always be Connor from Angel. Hated him then, can't stand his face now.

4. Betty...January Jones...everything, just throw it away. You think she's beautiful at first...that's a lie. You'll hate her, then you'll realize she can't act. $#$% you for Emma Frost.

5. Joan....Christina Hendricks...heaven...almost always too little of her.

6. Roger Sterling...my man.

My problem is I hate half of the cast, part because I brought baggage with the actors, but I can't stand to watch half of them, or when the show brings their problems front and center and puts everything on them. When it's the Betty show, suddenly I'm waiting half a week to finally watch the episode. All she does is ruin Don and them kids. When Peggy takes over, my e-mail gets correct, way clean. Peter...at least they accept that you're gonna hate him from the jump, but it's just much. Joan is never in the show enough.

I loved a lot of things about the show, but hated enough, that those amazing moments started revolving around characters I couldn't stand, and it just became...why am I still watching this. I'll probably catch up one day, but long story short: loved some of it, hated some, split the difference and stopped watching the show halfway through.

I'm not sure I'm mature or old enough to appreciate this show. At moments it is amazing. I understand what people see in it. But to be honest...just not enough. The space between those amazing moments always kill me. They're get boring and repetitive. I like some characters, but don't especially love any of em. Jon Hamm goes in, don't get me wrong, but I watched the first 2 1/2 seasons and I couldn't do it anymore.

If you can get through all of it, respect. I'm very sure that it'll reward you for that, but I can't. I keep hearing about this suitcase and this lawnmower episode, and that almost makes me want to catch up, but the show is just boring to me.

There's what? 6 main people. 

1. You got Jon Hamm, Don Draper. Dude kills it. Every time they ask a lot of him and every scene in between he brings it. He gets the pass. 

2. Peggy. She played the president's daughter in West Wing, didn't like her. She can act real well and they permanently +%@% on her life and give her heavy stuff to deal with, but I don't ever need to see her in anything again. 

3. Peter...but he'll never be Peter to me, he'll always be Connor from Angel. Hated him then, can't stand his face now.

4. Betty...January Jones...everything, just throw it away. You think she's beautiful at first...that's a lie. You'll hate her, then you'll realize she can't act. $#$% you for Emma Frost.

5. Joan....Christina Hendricks...heaven...almost always too little of her.

6. Roger Sterling...my man.

My problem is I hate half of the cast, part because I brought baggage with the actors, but I can't stand to watch half of them, or when the show brings their problems front and center and puts everything on them. When it's the Betty show, suddenly I'm waiting half a week to finally watch the episode. All she does is ruin Don and them kids. When Peggy takes over, my e-mail gets correct, way clean. Peter...at least they accept that you're gonna hate him from the jump, but it's just much. Joan is never in the show enough.

I loved a lot of things about the show, but hated enough, that those amazing moments started revolving around characters I couldn't stand, and it just became...why am I still watching this. I'll probably catch up one day, but long story short: loved some of it, hated some, split the difference and stopped watching the show halfway through.

very good show, great acting, does take time to develop but it's solid

very good show, great acting, does take time to develop but it's solid

Screen-shot-2011-06-24-at-9.53.00-AM.jpg

laugh.gif

That goes right along with this that I read:
Goes from astonishing to let's-burn-down-the-theater aggravating at amoment's notice...could either transport you to another plane ofexistence or make you swear off moviegoing for the rest of the year.

God, I hate that the only theater showing this around here right now isn't exactly close.
It is an impressive, confounding achievement that calls to mind everydrunken late-night debate that no one could articulate the next morning.
There were dialogue-free sequences that nearly moved me to tears. Thereis imagery so powerful that, like nature and the planet itself, is soindescribably gorgeous that it's hard to imagine it was created withoutdivine intervention.

Screen-shot-2011-06-24-at-9.53.00-AM.jpg

laugh.gif

That goes right along with this that I read:
Goes from astonishing to let's-burn-down-the-theater aggravating at amoment's notice...could either transport you to another plane ofexistence or make you swear off moviegoing for the rest of the year.

God, I hate that the only theater showing this around here right now isn't exactly close.
It is an impressive, confounding achievement that calls to mind everydrunken late-night debate that no one could articulate the next morning.
There were dialogue-free sequences that nearly moved me to tears. Thereis imagery so powerful that, like nature and the planet itself, is soindescribably gorgeous that it's hard to imagine it was created withoutdivine intervention.

Basically it should just say "we will win a lot of oscars you peasants." 
laugh.gif

And you saw the reaction from RyGuy, he was still unsure the next day what he had just watched, and Ry is a bright guy.  All this "confusion" about the movie is making me want to see just to see what it's all about. 

And I am sooooo not shocked that Sean Penn would be in something like this.  If I never heard of the movie I could have predicted his involvement. 
laugh.gif

Basically it should just say "we will win a lot of oscars you peasants." 
laugh.gif

And you saw the reaction from RyGuy, he was still unsure the next day what he had just watched, and Ry is a bright guy.  All this "confusion" about the movie is making me want to see just to see what it's all about. 

And I am sooooo not shocked that Sean Penn would be in something like this.  If I never heard of the movie I could have predicted his involvement. 
laugh.gif

I just hope it isn't overly... "Christian."

I keep reading that it is, but from overly Christian people. And as I have come to learn, it is not wise to value their opinions on anything.

I just hope it isn't overly... "Christian."

I keep reading that it is, but from overly Christian people. And as I have come to learn, it is not wise to value their opinions on anything.

Back
Top Bottom