Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

GraveHomelyHerring-size_restricted.gif

My big concerns with physical media, which I still love but have sold off, is:

1.) Are we going to reach a point where that Blu Ray quality is obsolete, more so than just physical media being obsolete first?

2.) What if physical media stays around, but we move to a different type of physical media player that eventually phases out discs of all types period, so all DVDs and Blu Rays are impossible to use, or have no return? And then even if we keep them, they don’t match the quality of that new physical media player?

3.) I would start buying movies in 4K digitally on some app where I could stockpile them, but what if the app we use to host those, changes to a definitive, new app that we all are on to using in 10 years, and all our digital movie purchases are on a legacy app that eventually fizzles out?

I just have a lot of questions toward the next 10 years that all sort of cause me never to actually buy anymore, even if I want to.

I've gotten rid of the majority of my DVDs and blurays, I have maybe 10 that are sentimental to me in some way. I'm trying to work up the courage to declutter. One day hopefully I'm strong enough to just take all this isht down to the goodwill and be done with it(shoes, hats, jerseys, hoodies, magazines). When I'm gone I don't want all this stuff to be a burden on my family. I figure if I ever move again (very unlikely) that'll be the time.

1.) Are we going to reach a point where that Blu Ray quality is obsolete, more so than just physical media being obsolete first?

2.) What if physical media stays around, but we move to a different type of physical media player that eventually phases out discs of all types period, so all DVDs and Blu Rays are impossible to use, or have no return? And then even if we keep them, they don’t match the quality of that new physical media player?

3.) I would start buying movies in 4K digitally on some app where I could stockpile them, but what if the app we use to host those, changes to a definitive, new app that we all are on to using in 10 years, and all our digital movie purchases are on a legacy app that eventually fizzles out?

I just have a lot of questions toward the next 10 years that all sort of cause me never to actually buy anymore, even if I want to.
I would think blu ray quality will become obsolete for newer media. It won't for older films though. There's only so much you're gonna be able to do to upgrade a film's original quality

We went through your 2nd question before with Laserdisc and VHS. Ppl just scrap it/donate it and move on. Not everyone jumps at the next tech leap at the same time so there's always a group who will still use old stuff until they're forced to move on

3. This kinda happened recently. Usually the parent company just moves your library to the new app. I had movies on Fandango's app. Vudu bought them out and moved my movies to their platform.

And there's already centric apps like Movies Anywhere that allows your libraries across different apps to sit in one space if you like. I believe with streaming/cloud based services becoming more and more of the norm going forward I expect to see more of an eco system that makes this kind of ownership as convenient and accessible as possible

I got Shawshank on 4K and it was worth every penny. I'd gladly buy it again if an 8K version had any significant change to it (I doubt it would tbh)

you guys ever watch movies on the oculus VR headset? I saw Netflix and prime had apps for it. Anything worth using or is it still in the gimmicky phase?

you guys ever watch movies on the oculus VR headset? I saw Netflix and prime had apps for it. Anything worth using or is it still in the gimmicky phase?
I've never put on a VR headset in my life yet and don't plan to. I'm cool with reality reality. But that's just me.

Also, since Alien was mentioned, I watched Alien v. Predator last night because I hadn't seen it before (I don't think) and it was free on Prime. Ridiculous movie but kept me entertained :lol: Definitely cannot think too hard about any of the "science", "anthropology", etc. points in the movie because they don't actually make a lot of sense. But the writers created a good enough vehicle to have two iconic movie creatures battle each other. And Sanaa Lathan tried hard and looked good as the lead. A generous 5.25/8.

Last edited:
We’re probably 10-15 good years away from making it a serious conversation, as I dont know how we can implement VR into traditional movies, where the audience isn’t involved. Unless it’s like you’re standing in the room where the scene takes place and you can look around at a 360-degree view at whatever you want.

But I don’t know how they could blend that into a movie-theater experience.

Used to use Netflix on my Gear VR. The experience was pretty cool. It worth a few tries but I don't miss it really either :lol:

The scaling was pretty dope though. Feels like you're watching on a giant *** screen

I have when I had it on travel, set it to a home theater and it was cool. Not something I run to do at home though, gimmick is up to you.

Saw Belfast today... inspired by walkingBred walkingBred went to the old-timey theater. But that movie is not that enjoyable even if the main protagonist, Buddy, and also the father, Jamie Dornan, were good. 3/8.

Gaming wise there’s some cool stuff out there.

I wanna see what’s sports is like

Niche.

You can still watch VHS.
You can watch laser disk.
You can listen to records on vinyl.

Etc. If you want/need something bad enough, you can accommodate the consumer.

I always want the best version of it if I own it, even though vinyl has the best sound so I see your point, we would keep the players but hopefully there’s some way to upgrade the copy you own instead of buying new.

Trailer for Moon Knight they dropped during football tonight:

I know nothing of Moon Knght but saw the trailer during the game. I love Marvel studios and my son and I are in just off the strength of the entire Avengers production. Would it be a fair simplification to say that Moon Knight is Batman with a personality disorder?

-foe

I know nothing of Moon Knght but saw the trailer during the game. I love Marvel studios and my son and I are in just off the strength of the entire Avengers production. Would it be a fair simplification to say that Moon Knight is Batman with a personality disorder?

-foe

Pretty close to that. He's a generally vulgar character too, not sure how much of the cursing is gonna end up on it though.

I've gotten rid of the majority of my DVDs and blurays, I have maybe 10 that are sentimental to me in some way. I'm trying to work up the courage to declutter. One day hopefully I'm strong enough to just take all this isht down to the goodwill and be done with it(shoes, hats, jerseys, hoodies, magazines). When I'm gone I don't want all this stuff to be a burden on my family. I figure if I ever move again (very unlikely) that'll be the time.

Me too - and those old ones I have I ripped to a USB drive (you can get huge ones for not much now) and I can watch them from there.

I had a lot of records, CDs, cassette tapes - but it turns out that once you just move on you don't miss them. I started ripping those too but I rarely go outside of Spotify for music now - and Netflix etc for movies.

When the hell y'all gon watch Scream so I can speak to it? ****.

Get to work.
Dammit...
- How many are there?
- Do they all run into each other? Could they be watched out of order?
- Rank them in your opinion.

*sigh*

🤣

-foe

When the hell y'all gon watch Scream so I can speak to it? ****.

Get to work.
None of my friends like scary movies so I have to wait until it’s streaming, yes I could always wear the Ghostface mask and sit by myself in the corner of a theater, or wear the Ghostface mask to the stall of the movie theater bathroom and wait for Omar, but I don’t see it playing out that way.

Back
Top Bottom