Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

So I had a lot of extra time the last couple of days and decided to revisit 2 Christopher Nolan films that I HATED when I first saw, and give them an updated review. Actually I don’t even remember if I bothered reviewing them here. I’ll start with interstellar today.

Interstellar (2014) 5.7/8

I can see all sides of the feelings about this movie. I detested it when I saw it in imax when it came out. Others said it was the best sci-fi film of all time. After my rewatch, I’m just in between and I’ll tell you why.

For me it felt like Nolan had way too much going on with the movie. He had so many ideas he wanted to put in the movie, it became somewhat of a jumbled mess. The things he wanted done in the movie he did very well, but it could have been more focused and refined to create a more fluid STORY.

He wanted “Love” to be this force that can travel through the universe and save humanity. So he does an excellent job of building the relationship between Cooper and Murph. Mconnehey blows it out of the water and you really feel the strong force guiding his decisions.

He wanted it to be a super accurate depiction of science and the real world applications of what we know about space, time, physics, all that astronaut jargon. It’s all mind bendingly accurate and interesting. Hard to follow at times, but most of it checks out.

He wanted an edge of your seat special effects space thriller and he does that better than almost anyone in the industry. The worlds they travel to are all jaw dropping, visually. Space sequences should remind you of Kubrics 2001 space odyssey. Kudos to him and his team for that epic aspect of the movie. Matt Damon’s mutiny. Waves crashing. Spaceship ‘splosions. Yay action!

He also wanted science fiction parts thrown in that forced you to make giant leaps in logic. Flying directly into a black hole. Aliens? Time travel (I know I know, relativity). Portal to weird childhood room bookshelf Morris code ghost past/future/whatever sequence. Great concept for sure.

But to throw all of it together just seems too much for one film. Too long with too many long winded scenes of dialogue trying to explain things. All those different parts he wanted, feel like the different parts of putting together a jigsaw puzzle. A LARGE 5,000 piece puzzle. In a not so pleasant way. Like you start with the edge pieces, yeah great those fit together nicely and the process is smooth. Then you start piecing together parts that you recognize like same colors or distinct items. Moving along well. Now maybe you start referring to the picture on the box to piece together the more difficult parts. Still making progress but it’s becoming more like work. Then you reach a point where you can’t make out any of the graphics on the pieces leftover. They’re not fitting so well, and the colors are all blending together with no distinct differences. Does it fit here? Does it go next to the tigers tail, or is it a part of the leaf in the corner? So you just start saying **** it and randomly trying to fit each individual piece, in each slot but there’s still 700 pieces left in the box. Kinda messy, not the most fun, but it’s a well made beautiful looking puzzle you just know it.

THAT’s what I got out of the film. Well made, but I wouldn’t dare call it one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. And Nolan has made far better movies. But not the worst movie ever, like I initially thought. Thanks for listening to me dig up the past. Dunkirk review next.

From my recollection, what I didn't like about Interstellar was how weak the emotional human side of things were or at least it didn't connect to me in the end. The way they attempted to wrap things up just had me rolling my eyes.

The acting was all great and so were the visuals but the sci-fi part seemed to be more about the spectacle than the concepts in finding a new planet.

Ever seen A Cry in the Dark? I was a kid and I remember the incident, and the movie is pretty much exactly how I remember. Meryl Streep's accent... 😂😬 Do any of you guys know any Aussies? She is... off. 😂

Movie itself is rough. Choppy, sloppy, could have been so much better. It was really more of something in between a movie and a documentary featuring Meryl Streep and Sam Neil.

4/8

The incidents of this movie: 😕

-foe

Recent viewing. I enjoyed some of the dialouge exchange between Bruce Wayne and **** Grayson. At first, I didn’t like Jim Carrey’s portrayal of Edward Nygma, but as soon as he suited up and became The Riddler, he became brilliant. His performance stole the entire show in my opinion. I liked some of Alfred’s scenes as well. The music was good, although not even close to Danny Elfman’s brilliant work in Batman Returns. Decent chemistry with Bruce Wayne and Chase.

1642376201724.jpeg

Last edited:
Randomly caught The Inheritance last night. Lily Collins and Simon Pegg. I'll be damned if I didn't like it. Love Lily......but her being maybe 30 and the District Attorney gave me Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes vibes. :lol:

Went and saw Scream again. You guys really pissin me off not seein it yet. 2nd viewing actually helped me tho, fixed a couple complaints I had. It's strong. #Requel

And started Yellowstone. I'm gonna like this. Sheridan is a God.

Back
Top Bottom