Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Malignant... BRO. What in the hell?? First 45 minutes, yeah, okay, got a spooky szn supernatural mystery going on. The music though. Omg the early 2000s generic music killed me. So out of place. Also generic dumb decisions.

But, when it flips the switch! BRO.

ab8.jpg

damn. keep hearing mixed reviews. might have to remove from the 'to watch' list.
If you got HBO Max you can put it on in the background.

Don't go to theater to see it. That'd be a waste of time.
I'm on the other side of this argument. I WISH I saw this in theaters. It was sooooo wild and I couldn't get enough of the wild, the random, the off-the-wall bat**** fever dream of a movie that Malignant turned into. So much was over explained, so much unexplained. So much random "wtf" moments. I ******* lost it when the big reveal happened and the mad dash ultra violent 3rd act played out.

I might need to corral some friends and convince them to go to the movies with me so I can re-live the spectacle that is Malignant on the big screen.

Trailer looks good!

I'm going to the premiere at The NY Film Festival on Friday. I'll post a mini review after.

As previously mentioned, I went to see "The Tragedy of Macbeth" Friday night at the opening night of The New York Film Festival.

If you've read the Shakespeare play Macbeth at any point in your life, you'll like this film. It follows the story to a T and the dialogue is directly from the play as well (unlike the 2015 adaptation with Michael Fassbender). I assume the Shakespearean language was quite difficult for a other patrons because I saw a few ppl walk out once the characters started speaking. The acting is superb. I wouldn't be surprised if Denzel & Francis are both nominated for Academy Awards. It's for sure a lock for cinematography, the shots are stunning throughout. As for the film itself, Joel filmed this like play, each scene takes place on a stage, it seems. No location change during any scene. It doesn't take away from the movie but I found it interesting. Overall, I enjoyed it.

6.4 / 8

52a70b91e269f1ea4d4c7b67fe7af93e183e40f5.jpg

1a69cd43e8dffd48b78a35ef7a3c614b3f424a6a.jpg

I'm also seeing "The Power of the Dog", "C'mon C'mon" and "Passing" at the festival. I'll give short reviews for those as well.

Malignant... BRO. What in the hell?? First 45 minutes, yeah, okay, got a spooky szn supernatural mystery going on. The music though. Omg the early 2000s generic music killed me. So out of place. Also generic dumb decisions.

But, when it flips the switch! BRO.

ab8.jpg

okay so I put this off because the trailer looked mad boring. Single frail white lady is haunted by something spooky in a house. *yaaaawn*

So I keep seeing reviews like yours and I’m like damn, okay maybe it’s not like that at all.

2/3rds of the way in, I’m thinking it’s just a spoof or a self-aware horror. Felt like an homage of those late 90’s/early 2000’s grungy horror flicks (the ring, the grudge,Saw, Gothika, Se7en, b-grade Stephen king adaptations, what lies beneath, THE LIST GOES ON.)

then the last 3rd of the movie hits
0B7A32CE-49A8-425F-AF7D-8AD78B57E734.gif

0318D53C-D6EB-46C9-AE85-D29CEE894363.gif

AC660BA6-485C-46C8-911B-6B4BCC3A9093.gif

all my emotions :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

still can’t tell if it was done on purpose,but this joint was mad entertaining and hilariously bad/good

okay so I put this off because the trailer looked mad boring. Single frail white lady is haunted by something spooky in a house. *yaaaawn*

So I keep seeing reviews like yours and I’m like damn, okay maybe it’s not like that at all.

2/3rds of the way in, I’m thinking it’s just a spoof or a self-aware horror. Felt like an homage of those late 90’s/early 2000’s grungy horror flicks (the ring, the grudge,Saw, Gothika, Se7en, b-grade Stephen king adaptations, what lies beneath, THE LIST GOES ON.)

then the last 3rd of the movie hits
0B7A32CE-49A8-425F-AF7D-8AD78B57E734.gif

0318D53C-D6EB-46C9-AE85-D29CEE894363.gif

AC660BA6-485C-46C8-911B-6B4BCC3A9093.gif

all my emotions :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

still can’t tell if it was done on purpose,but this joint was mad entertaining and hilariously bad/good
Absolutely all this. Coming back to it, I knew something was off around the halfway mark, with the police chase. Idk what to call it, but the "monster" doing wild reverse parkour down fire ladders and through underground abandoned buildings and warehouses, kicking out walls, diving through windows, I knew at that chase we were in for an unbelievably entertaining 3rd act. Like, the sister's trip to the abandoned mental hospital (btw why did they think a MASSIVE mental hospital on a cliffs edge on a forest, fit in with Seattle?) was so weird, and so abruptly shot and edited and unresolved... The chase followed by that segment, leading up to the jail cell scene. I feel like Wan gave up halfway through writing and just said "**** it I'm going to make this more extreme than scary or faithful to the horrors of the early aughts. PARKOUR! JAIL CELL MURDERS! CAPOEIRA! CHAIRS!" Seriously one of my favorite surprise watches this year.

As previously mentioned, I went to see "The Tragedy of Macbeth" Friday night at the opening night of The New York Film Festival.

If you've read the Shakespeare play Macbeth at any point in your life, you'll like this film. It follows the story to a T and the dialogue is directly from the play as well (unlike the 2015 adaptation with Michael Fassbender). I assume the Shakespearean language was quite difficult for a other patrons because I saw a few ppl walk out once the characters started speaking. The acting is superb. I wouldn't be surprised if Denzel & Francis are both nominated for Academy Awards. It's for sure a lock for cinematography, the shots are stunning throughout. As for the film itself, Joel filmed this like play, each scene takes place on a stage, it seems. No location change during any scene. It doesn't take away from the movie but I found it interesting. Overall, I enjoyed it.

6.4 / 8

52a70b91e269f1ea4d4c7b67fe7af93e183e40f5.jpg

1a69cd43e8dffd48b78a35ef7a3c614b3f424a6a.jpg

I'm also seeing "The Power of the Dog", "C'mon C'mon" and "Passing" at the festival. I'll give short reviews for those as well.
Good review. Allowed me to temper my expectations.

I had a feel this was gonna be shot more like a play and I don't like theater. Also I hate that Shakespeare way of talking. Main reason Romeo + Juliet never vibed or sat well with me.

Still will give it a shot.

Malignant or I Know What You Did Last Summer?
I mean, you know what I'll suggest. IKWYD is Scream-adjacent but not nearly as good. I think you'll be let down if you follow Scream with that so closely. Go with Malignant as a palate cleanser and something to be thoroughly perplexed by.

Aight, had just clicked I Know What You Did Last Summer but changed based on what you said. I don’t want the Scream series watch to affect that, well said!

Yeah I mean it's not the same meta-focused type of film, but its not a movie that really takes itself seriously and tries too hard from what I remember. It's from the same writer tho. It's a fun enough watch, and JLH... I mean that's enough to watch it right there. But I always felt I Know What You Did was too close a follow up to Scream. Maybe I'm unfairly lumping them together but I couldnt ever shake the feeling that those franchises were competing and Scream was far and away the better one.

Yeah I mean it's not the same meta-focused type of film, but its not a movie that really takes itself seriously and tries too hard from what I remember. It's from the same writer tho. It's a fun enough watch, and JLH... I mean that's enough to watch it right there. But I always felt I Know What You Did was too close a follow up to Scream. Maybe I'm unfairly lumping them together but I couldnt ever shake the feeling that those franchises were competing and Scream was far and away the better one.

They are "related" in a sense because Williamson had written that one but it couldn't get picked up, then he hit huge with Scream and they fast tracked IKWYDLS asap. The OG previews talk more about Scream than the actual film. :lol:

"From the writer of Scream"
"From the Producers of Scream"

The first IKWYDLS isnt that bad.

Also you guys should be aware there's a reboot of it out now on Amazon that is a series not a movie remake.

Bro. That scene was so tight. Maximum butt clench at the edge of my seat watching that in the theater :lol:.

The term "ayo" applies to my above statement as well. lmao.

Back
Top Bottom