Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

The end of episode 8 of Magicians, season 1 :wow:

I still don't like the show all that much, but I give the show points for its unpredictability.

I think there is a early viewing of S2 ep1 of The Magicians onDemand and online right now, the true premiere is Tuesday

La La Land was pretty good, not Chicago, but definitely viewable. The opening scene, cinematography, choreographing, that was :wow:

Emma is always great, and she has great chemistry with Ryan.

I dunno bout 53 Oscars or nothin, but it was better than I woulda thought.

Chicago tho....That joint was incredible. I was blown away by that one. My parents still watch that all the time, years later. Don't think La La has that kinda weight, imo.

MAN I've never heard anything good from actual people about Chicago so ive never watched it. I might have to finally cave. Do you like other musicals like Moulin Rouge or Sweeney Todd?

La La Land was pretty good, not Chicago, but definitely viewable. The opening scene, cinematography, choreographing, that was :wow:

Emma is always great, and she has great chemistry with Ryan.

I dunno bout 53 Oscars or nothin, but it was better than I woulda thought.

Chicago tho....That joint was incredible. I was blown away by that one. My parents still watch that all the time, years later. Don't think La La has that kinda weight, imo.

MAN I've never heard anything good from actual people about Chicago so ive never watched it. I might have to finally cave. Do you like other musicals like Moulin Rouge or Sweeney Todd?

No. I hate musicals. Grease is probably the only I can handle.

I ignored Chicago too, but every time I went home, my folks had it on, damn it if it didn't impress the hell outta me. La La wasn't quite there, but it was pretty damn good. For a genre I have zero interest in, I'd consider that praise.

Not gonna spoil s1 of The Magicians but I totally forgot one character had sex with 2 other charcters :lol: That totally bleeds in to S2 which had me lost for a bit.

I think there is a early viewing of S2 ep1 of The Magicians onDemand and online right now, the true premiere is Tuesday
The second season already started. Premiere was this past Wednseday.

I remember cuz it conflicted with Vikings.

Last edited:
Not gonna spoil s1 of The Magicians but I totally forgot one character had sex with 2 other charcters :lol: That totally bleeds in to S2 which had me lost for a bit.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up, I don't see it at all in my Search guide.

Edit: It's on syfy is why, I found it on USA earlier, that's why it was set for Tuesday, its last weeks episode. That explains my confusion on them using a lot of curse words and then I saw it on USA and thought "they use that language now?". So syfy hosts it, sister network I guess?

Last edited:
I think if I liked the main character more, I'd like the Magicians a lot more. It's hard to watch a show where the character you dislike the most is the central part of the show

I dislike him so much. I hate the way he walks, he talks. If he was in front of me, I'd probably punch him for breathing my air.

Penny is by far my favorite character so far. One of my favorite things about him is that he always ***** on the main character.

Last edited:

I see. Thanks for clearing that up, I don't see it at all in my Search guide.

Edit: It's on syfy is why, I found it on USA earlier, that's why it was set for Tuesday, its last weeks episode. That explains my confusion on them using a lot of curse words and then I saw it on USA and thought "they use that language now?". So syfy hosts it, sister network I guess?
Yeah, I didn't realize they were until USA started airing episodes of Incoporated which is another Syfy show. I knew NBC was the parent station of USA but didn't know Syfy was too.

Syfy has been trying to step their game up a bit.

Also they silence the curse words on Syfy I'm guessing cuz of the time it airs and cuz I don't think Syfy gets down like that.

I think if I liked the main character more, I'd like the Magicians a lot more. It's hard to watch a show where the character you dislike the most is the central part of the show

I dislike him so much. I hate the way he walks, he talks. If he was in front of me, I'd probably punch him for breathing my air.

Penny is by far my favorite character so far. One of my favorite things about him is that he always ***** on the main character.
I don't like the main character either. The show grabbed me cuz of the concept and premise.

Quentin is the epitome of the stereotype of a lame meekish geek that couldn't cut it as a goth kid. He's not the underdog type but really just the wet dream power fantasy for a lot of boys who get picked on. He discovers magic is real, gets picked to go to the school of magic while his cooler friend is denied, then instead of getting with her he finds an arguably hotter (just as hot as the least) magic chick that's nerdy like him and is in to him. Its corny to me but not bad or bad writing. I get it and roll with it.

What I like is while it follows him eventually it becomes more of an ensemble of protagonists even if he does get focused on. I like Penny too but I'm way more in to Julia and Margo.

Also when you finish s1 you'll see how they also do some unexpected **** and that kept me watching.

I imagine the show is a what if Harry Potter and co. we're college age, they had young adult social pressure drama, and sex was involved.

Last edited:
Yeah syfy is under the nbc universal umbrella.

Waited so long for the new Magicians season but was too tired to watch it last week.

The Expanse is starting again soon. This season gonna be even more lit.

Last edited:
Moonlight was really good. 7.2/8.

Only things I didn't like were Juan died too soon. He was there and it was just getting good with his mentorship then it's just mentioned a few times in the next act he gone. That moment near the end of the first act when young Chiron asked those questions :smh:

Adult Kevin casting. I know homey Andre Holland from The Knick. To me he can not pull off somebody in their 20s or late 20s. Was the message that Kevin just fell off? :lol: Just cuz he was locked up for a bit?

We didn't get to see Janelle Monae's fine *** in the 3rd act. Her fine fine fine ***. I want to impregnate shorty asap.

Really liked the journey in the 3 parts of his life. Would've like to spend more time on the teenage years and adult years but I get they were showing that critical changing point when he was a teen. When son was walking with a purpose :smokin Then he brought out the chair on the bully :rofl:

Also how son move to the gay black capitol of America and not mess with anybody since? Talk about a drought. Also gotta say in the first act nothing at all made it clear dude was gay. It was all handled rather tastefully.

Naomi Harris was most impressive in this.

:rofl: I can't believe Ali got nominated for this role. Yes he was good and getting good but damn he really only spent 20min in the movie. Either I'm missing the brillance of his acting in that role or 2016 was the slow year in great movies and performances I'm thinking it was.

Last edited:
^^^

Loved Moonlight as well but I been thinking the same thing regarding Ali nominations. :lol:

Son did all his work for the movie in a week, was on screen for what 25 minutes?

I love him as an actor but compared to some of the guys he's beating for these awards, he had to do the least amount of work.

Granted even in that short time on screen, he's sublime and is basically the father figure of Chiron and his spectre hangs over the whole movie.

I do wish he was at least featured more but with the structure of the story it made the most sense that his death would be a turning point for Chiron.

Naomi Harris was phenomenal and should definitely take home the Oscar.

I really liked Ali's role so i'm not even mad. Not many other supporting roles stand out to me this year. Yeah I didn't get how dude moves to ATL and remain abstinent though when in real life I hear dudes moving to ATL immediately after coming out.

I really liked Ali's role so i'm not even mad. Not many other supporting roles stand out to me this year. Yeah I didn't get how dude moves to ATL and remain abstinent though when in real life I hear dudes moving to ATL immediately after coming out.

:lol:

That's funny and accurate but it's easy to see how to me.

His only experience with another man coincided with the lowest point in his life where he felt most vulnerable.

After already not being comfortable with his sexuality why would he explore that again?

It made a lot more sense for him to do exactly what he did with a new start, model himself after his father figure.

That's why when Kevin called him it moved him so much because he tried to bury those feelings under that faux masculinity shell that he built.

****, Anthony Hopkins won best actor for Silence of the Lambs and was only on screen for like 15 minutes.

Viola Davis was only in Doubt for like 5 minutes and got a best supporting actress nomination.

Sometimes the strength of a performance is just that strong.

Ali's last scene is powerful.

Chiron: Does my mom do drugs?

Juan: yeah.

Chiron: Do you sell drugs?

Juan:....

All that emotion in his face. You just know it broke him to hurt Chiron

Was just about to post this. That scene was fantastic.

I missed the SAG awards last night.

Anywhere to watch? :nerd:

****, Anthony Hopkins won best actor for Silence of the Lambs and was only on screen for like 15 minutes.

Viola Davis was only in Doubt for like 5 minutes and got a best supporting actress nomination.

Sometimes the strength of a performance is just that strong.
Hopkins performance was that powerful imo.

I barely remember Doubt for some reason.

Last edited:

Maybe the best scene in the movie.

^^^

Loved Moonlight as well but I been thinking the same thing regarding Ali nominations. :lol:

Son did all his work for the movie in a week, was on screen for what 25 minutes?

I love him as an actor but compared to some of the guys he's beating for these awards, he had to do the least amount of work.

Granted even in that short time on screen, he's sublime and is basically the father figure of Chiron and his spectre hangs over the whole movie.

I do wish he was at least featured more but with the structure of the story it made the most sense that his death would be a turning point for Chiron.

Naomi Harris was phenomenal and should definitely take home the Oscar.

Yoooooooo I did NOT catch the part that said Juan died! Damn man, that's sad as hell! I thought little was just working for him at the end, running his trapping biz :lol:

Hardy flourishes so much when he plays a savage / beast.

Was watching Mad Max again yesterday and he murked so many fools in that movie. Charlize bae was washing people too.

Just saw Hidden Figures. Solid acting performances from everyone although I thought Taraji "over-acted" during a few scenes. Costner was great. It kinda felt a bit too formulaic at times but didn't hinder movie as a whole at all. Really good film.

Sidenote: Janelle Monae :evil:

6.8/8

Back
Top Bottom