Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

So, Black Friday, now Black Thursday ( :lol: ) is my Christmas when I load up on Blu Rays for pennies on the dollar. Already workin on my game plan and happy to see that The Big Short for 6 bucks will be part of my haul. :pimp:

^ Any particular spots you make sure to check up on every year, online or brick?

Sounds weird, but honestly has turned into a kind of date night for wife and I. (Us and 10,000 obnoxious strangers :lol: )

We start at Best Buy at 5 PM, then hit a Target/Walmart combo on the way home. (They're across street from each other)

We make a pretty good team one standing in line, other shopping, then we merely switch so the other can shop but keep place in line. Works pretty well every year. :lol:

‘Silence’: Six Things We’ve Learned About Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project

For Martin Scorsese, “Silence” is not just another movie. The film based on Shūsaku Endō’s 1966 novel of the same name has been a passion project for the filmmaker and high on his list of priorities ever since he first read the book. The story follows two 17th century Jesuit priests (played by Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield) who face violence and persecution as they travel through Japan to spread Christianity and locate their mentor (Liam Neeson).

Scorsese recently sat down with The New York Times Magazine to discuss the now legendary movie. Here are six things we learned about the project, as reported by the Times.

1. Scorsese has been trying to get “Silence” made for almost 30 years.

After reading the novel in 1989, Scorsese quickly snapped up the film rights and began telling nearly everyone he knew how much he wanted to make the movie. Even while shooting films including “The Aviator,” “The Departed,” “Shutter Island” and “Hugo,” he conceded that “Silence” was the movie he really wanted to shoot. After 2014’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” Scorsese put his foot down and said he would not attach himself to another movie project until “Silence” was completed.

2. All the principal actors cut their fees.

Scorsese wanted to make “Silence” so much that he didn’t even take a fee for the project. Principal actors Driver, Garfield and Neeson either worked for Screen Actors Guild scale or for much less than their usual quote.

3. Making the movie was a massive logistical undertaking.

The $47 million production was filmed in Taiwan for eight months; the total number of cast and crew reached 750 people. “Raging Bull” and “Goodfellas” producer Irwin Winkler helped navigate “dozens” of legal disputes that threatened the project, according to the Times.

4. Adam Driver lost more than 50 pounds for his role.

During a four-and-a-half-month period, Driver shed 51 pounds to play the part of Father Francisco Garrpe, with the help of a nutrition coach. “It’s about control, and as an actor you want to have control, but it’s also about suffering,” he told the Times. “It gives you information you can use in the role.” After filming concluded, he started a routine of eating “triple breakfasts.”

5. Andrew Garfield went deep into religious training for his part.

Jesuit Rev. James Martin, an author and editor at large of a Jesuit news publication, worked with both Driver and Garfield to help prepare them for their roles. Garfield spent nearly a year learning about the Jesuit faith, taking part in a week-long silent retreat and even learning so much that he wound up pushing back on lines of dialogue that he said weren’t realistic for a Jesuit. “I got totally swept up in all things Jesuit and very taken with the Jesuit spirituality,” Garfield told the Times.

6. The Pope might see the movie before U.S. audiences.

This month, “Silence” will screen for for 400 Jesuit priests in Rome and for cinephiles at the Vatican. “It’s no stretch to suppose that Pope Francis, a Jesuit himself, will find a way to be there,” according to the Times.

8b7c8171a2e2471b9df7dd9850c2107b

soon...

Hmm... Still more hyped for the Scorcese joint with Al and Bob.

This should be good though. Might read the book.

Allied is the film where Pitt smashed Marion irl, right?

Where she publicly stated she didn't get her back blown out by the gawd?

Two of my favorite movies from recent years (Black Swan might be in my top five).

Last edited:
Search Party is a pretty good show on TBS. Whole season on demand and airing this week at 11pm.

Gotta give props to TBS and TNT for stepping their quality game up; People of Earth, Good Behavior, Animal Kingdom, etc.

:rofl: @ France banning parental tests. They steady embrace that cheating life.

^^^ I plan to check out Search Party. I have a thing for Alia Shawkat for some reason.

Fantastic Beast was really good considering it lacked a solid storyline. It was surprisingly very funny.

Anyone want a copy of Black Dynamite? Apparently I have 2 copies of this movie. Just pay shipping pls.

watching war dogs. yikes! miles teller seemed like a fantastic actor in whiplash. in war dogs, not so much. divergent movies sucked and only watched about 1/3 of fantastic four. not sure if he's actually really good in anything else.

^^^ I plan to check out Search Party. I have a thing for Alia Shawkat for some reason.
Only reason I gave it a shot.

I love her.

Aside from Whiplash I pretty much hate Miles Teller in every role he's ever done.
He really was only serviceable in that movie. He execelled at the learning how to play the drums and the acting around the struggle/dealing with JK but meh to everything else.

Never cared for dude as an actor.

Last edited:
Seems like she's gaining her reputation as being "difficult" now.

Even with his string of bad movies I never thought Depp would be the one to suffer especially with his Disney connects. I mean now he about to be in the Fantastic Beasts sequel. Only a matter of time before he shows his face in a Star Wars or Marvel flick.

Last edited:

Even with his string of bad movies I never thought Depp would be the one to suffer especially with his Disney connects. I mean now he about to be in the Fantastic Beasts sequel. Only a matter of time before shows his face in a Star Wars or Marvel flick.
Depp is a reliable actor and still has brand cache.

I've also never heard stories of him being a diva on set.

Damn, Omar Epps is the bad guy in Shooter.

:smh: but :pimp:

Even with his string of bad movies I never thought Depp would be the one to suffer especially with his Disney connects. I mean now he about to be in the Fantastic Beasts sequel. Only a matter of time before shows his face in a Star Wars or Marvel flick.

Depp is a reliable actor and still has brand cache.

I've also never heard stories of him being a diva on set.
Yeah, I just remember hearing how this was a part of the downfall of Depp and how his reputation would take a hit and end up a paraiah in Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom